Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I look for Art Jones to have a big year next season

RockThatBlue

When he started getting healthy towards the end of last season he was playing very well I thought.

If he stays healthy he could be a real force on our d line. Thoughts?

I believe that was what he was brought here for. He was our big signing last year so he was intended to have a big impact. Bad wheel really really limited his effectiveness. Hoping for a healthy 2015 and a resurgance in the 3-4 for Langsford and that can go a long way to improving our run defense.

Unless he plans on playing NT, dude needs to slim down some. He's probably about 340 now. Probably be a lot more effective at around 315-320.

I wish Montori, Chapman and Kerr all 3 would drop to around the 315 mark. No sense in a D Lineman having to be as big as those 3 are listed. It should help not only their mobility but stamina, I think that's the wall Kerr hit, I think he can be real force

I wish Montori, Chapman and Kerr all 3 would drop to around the 315 mark. No sense in a D Lineman having to be as big as those 3 are listed. It should help not only their mobility but stamina, I think that's the wall Kerr hit, I think he can be real force

I agree with you on Kerr. Not so much the others. Chapman's only real talent is being big. Dropping ~40 lbs takes away all of his value.

Montori could go either way. He plays a lot of 1-tech and he moves very well for a player his size, so I'm ok with what he's playing at now, but he'd be much more versatile if he dropped to about 330. 

Yes, I expect a much better and hopefully much lighter Art Jones.

He did play better when he got healthy.   Stats say our defense gave up nearly a yard per carry less when Jones was healthy.   That's a large number.    And if he's a bit smaller,  he should be even better...

I'd like to see Chapman around 325-330.

I'd like to see Hughes around 330-335.

I'd like to see Kerr no bigger than 325, preferably less.

And I'd like to see Jones under 325 and closer to 315.

He did play better when he got healthy.   Stats say our defense gave up nearly a yard per carry less when Jones was healthy.   That's a large number.    And if he's a bit smaller,  he should be even better...

Nice slim & trim list from our strength & conditioning coach NCF/David Williams. LOL! In all seriousness though, being lean & mean on D is always a good thing.  :thmup:

He did play better when he got healthy. Stats say our defense gave up nearly a yard per carry less when Jones was healthy. That's a large number. And if he's a bit smaller, he should be even better...

Not necessarily you, but when we use to run the 4-3/Tampa 2 defense back in the day, people said the defensive line was too small..... now in the 3-4 regime, they're too big?

Just can't satisfy a fan base can you?

:sigh:

Not necessarily you, but when we use to run the 4-3/Tampa 2 defense back in the day, people said the defensive line was too small..... now in the 3-4 regime, they're too big?

There's middle-ground between 280 lb and 350 lb DTs.

There's middle-ground between 280 lb and 350 lb DTs.

I don't mind them being big long as they use it well. Not gasping for air after one series of Defense. If you're big, use it to your advantage. Like how Wilfork does. Dude's gut could poke someone's eye out, but he moves well for his size While clogging lanes

I think at this point it's wishful thinking.  Jones' first season with the Colts was very disappointing.  Before his injury he was largely ineffective and when he finally was healthy at the end of the season and the playoffs he looked like just another guy... made some plays when circumstances presented themselves but he didn't do anything to create good plays for himself or the D.

I agree on all counts ,being in playing shape to optimize your potential is a must . I believe all 3 have talent, not just to loose wait but add strength at the same time.

Call it the Goldilocks effect.

Some players are too light....

And some players are too heavy....

What we're looking for are players that are juuuuust the right size!      :thmup:

I don't mind them being big long as they use it well. Not gasping for air after one series of Defense. If you're big, use it to your advantage. Like how Wilfork does. Dude's gut could poke someone's eye out, but he moves well for his size While clogging lanes

The problem is that they don't use it to their advantage and are gasping for air. Hence his call for more trim, and more importantly FIT players.

Unless he plans on playing NT, dude needs to slim down some. He's probably about 340 now. Probably be a lot more effective at around 315-320.

Noway hes bigger than wilfork...

Wilfork is so big his number is getting eaten up! Hes listed at 325 but I believe hes like those women who like to lie about their weight.

I think at this point it's wishful thinking.  Jones' first season with the Colts was very disappointing.  Before his injury he was largely ineffective and when he finally was healthy at the end of the season and the playoffs he looked like just another guy... made some plays when circumstances presented themselves but he didn't do anything to create good plays for himself or the D.

Call me Stone Cold Steve Austin, but what? He was definitely pretty good when he was playing healthy.

Call me Stone Cold Steve Austin, but what? He was definitely pretty good when he was playing healthy.

Yeah, not really.  He was slow to get his hands on blockers so he could not control them, his field awareness was mediocre at best, he didn't create any impact plays.  I think he did his job okay... I would rate it above average but nothing really spectacular or game changing

I'm not calling him a bad signing.  I understand the first year in a new system/new players around takes some adjustment.  I'm just saying in 2014 he was just another player.

I agree with you on Kerr. Not so much the others. Chapman's only real talent is being big. Dropping ~40 lbs takes away all of his value.

Montori could go either way. He plays a lot of 1-tech and he moves very well for a player his size, so I'm ok with what he's playing at now, but he'd be much more versatile if he dropped to about 330. 

Chapman's value is in his strength, not just being big.  Dropping some of his gut would not affect his strength.  40 lbs is a bit excessive but him getting down around 320-325 shouldn't affect his strength at all.