Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there any viability in trading for a vet Guard?

AntonMcG

In days gone by, this very concept would have been outlandish to consider for the Colts. However, given the aggressive nature of our current Front Office, and the glaring lack of proven experience within our interior line... to me, this makes sense.

Some of you are a lot more comfortable with how our line looks right now than I am, which is fine. I do not consider myself a pessimist, I simply believe in the idea of the NFL being a 'win now' league, and I certainly believe we are a capable O-Line away from epitomizing that concept. So it makes sense to be aggressive and go after a proven and experienced Guard, instead of throwing rookies (who, of course, are talented) into the deep end.

My suspicions were furthered by the recent comments Pagano made highlighting his reservations about the line when Thomas went down, making the point that you do not want to throw rookies in like that. Maybe Mewhort is a huge success... but is it a risk you want to take? After all, rookie linemen rarely set the world alight. 

The depth within the O-Line is worrying to me as well... Lance Louis seems capable, but is that enough for the interior to be covered?

Personally, I would be shocked if this was not being looked into as I type. Grigson and his staff seem to leave no stone unturned in trying to make this team better, sometimes they fail of course, but you have to respect the mindset.

So the question would be...who do they go after? I would imagine it would be someone in a similar mold to Thomas... someone who has talent and experience, but has fallen victim to great depth within the O-Line of their current team. Does anyone have any ideas as to who that may be?

What would we be willing to give up? A lot of people are sick of us throwing away draft picks... but if we are securing someone who we know can make our team better now... it makes sense. Is a third rounder out of the question? I would imagine a fourth myself.

Maybe it proves too difficult to pull off, but i would be shocked if the idea has not entered the head of our GM. It would be a very Grigson-esque move.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In days gone by, this very concept would have been outlandish to consider for the Colts. However, given the aggressive nature of our current Front Office, and the glaring lack of proven experience within our interior line... to me, this makes sense.

Some of you are a lot more comfortable with how our line looks right now than I am, which is fine. I do not consider myself a pessimist, I simply believe in the idea of the NFL being a 'win now' league, and I certainly believe we are a capable O-Line away from epitomizing that concept. So it makes sense to be aggressive and go after a proven and experienced Guard, instead of throwing rookies (who, of course, are talented) into the deep end.

My suspicions were furthered by the recent comments Pagano made highlighting his reservations about the line when Thomas went down, making the point that you do not want to throw rookies in like that. Maybe Mewhort is a huge success... but is it a risk you want to take? After all, rookie linemen rarely set the world alight. 

The depth within the O-Line is worrying to me as well... Lance Louis seems capable, but is that enough for the interior to be covered?

Personally, I would be shocked if this was not being looked into as I type. Grigson and his staff seem to leave no stone unturned in trying to make this team better, sometimes they fail of course, but you have to respect the mindset.

So the question would be...who do they go after? I would imagine it would be someone in a similar mold to Thomas... someone who has talent and experience, but has fallen victim to great depth within the O-Line of their current team. Does anyone have any ideas as to who that may be?

What would we be willing to give up? A lot of people are sick of us throwing away draft picks... but if we are securing someone who we know can make our team better now... it makes sense. Is a third rounder out of the question? I would imagine a fourth myself.

Maybe it proves too difficult to pull off, but i would be shocked if the idea has not entered the head of our GM. It would be a very Grigson-esque move.

I like the idea of trading draft picks for a proven player. draft picks take too long to develop and some never do. as the old skins coach George allen once said when he traded away most of his picks, "the future is now"

I've pondered the same. I would almost rather sign a FA vet then lose draft picks. Did Nate Livings ever rehab from his knee? I wouldn't mind coaxing Travelle Wharton out of retirement with a sweet 1 year deal, or what about, dare I say, Richie Incognito?

I wouldn't give up a 3rd rounder for O Line depth, If it was me I'd be asking for a good starter for a 3rd rounder though that's unrealistic because it seems we will be going forward with Mewhort. Now what I would do was take a look at the recently retired Travelle Wharton or give the Bucs a call and see where Nicks is at mentally and physically at this time....Though the Bucs parting ways with Nicks for nothing is an indicator  (I believe they still have his rights). Depth wise I think the team is alright, I'd give a late rounder(7th rounder...possibly 6th) up for Gabe Carimi and intend to stick him as a Guard with the expectation that he beats out one of our no name Guards and if nor then no big deal, Its just a late rounder (Walker, Anderson)...I know he had his struggles at Chicago but the majority of that was at RT and with a knee injury, I think if he is healthy he can make a decent back up RG or LG. Good thread by the way

I wouldn't give up a 3rd rounder for O Line depth, If it was me I'd be asking for a good starter for a 3rd rounder though that's unrealistic because it seems we will be going forward with Mewhort. Now what I would do was take a look at the recently retired Travelle Wharton or give the Bucs a call and see where Nicks is at mentally and physically at this time....Though the Bucs parting ways with Nicks for nothing is an indicator  (I believe they still have his rights). Depth wise I think the team is alright, I'd give a late rounder(7th rounder...possibly 6th) up for Gabe Carimi and intend to stick him as a Guard with the expectation that he beats out one of our no name Guards and if nor then no big deal, Its just a late rounder (Walker, Anderson)...I know he had his struggles at Chicago but the majority of that was at RT and with a knee injury, I think if he is healthy he can make a decent back up RG or LG. Good thread by the way

I'm talking about a starter... or at least viable competition for Mewhort.

I don't think that's likely to happen as far as trading for a proven starter...Harvey Dahl is a FA though

Read my original post... not necessarily a starter for their current team, but someone who has proven he can play and has experience, but is down the queue on a strong depth chart... similar to Thomas at the Pats. How many of these types exist? I don't know, but we do not have the experience, or quality on our interior line to overlook good players who do not start on other teams.

I thought Dahl had underwent ankle surgery a couple months ago. Part of why he was released

I read it was to clear cap space..though he only played in 9 games last season, He probably did undergo ankle surgery and I am just not finding that

Boy, if only we had signed OG Louis Vasquez instead of Donald Thomas from the start like I wanted...then this whole mess could have been avoided.

Not necessarily. Who's to say Vasquez wouldn't have been injured too. Hindsight is always 20/20

yes!  in recent years more years than I care to remember we have drafted o-linemen. there is one casto who is ok. the rest flopped. trade draft picks for proven vets for the o-line. imo draft picks are iffy on the o-line. does not mean they never work out, but why wait?

Boy, if only we had signed OG Louis Vasquez instead of Donald Thomas from the start like I wanted...then this whole mess could have been avoided.

...... You do realize Satele is the one who took Thomas out right?

And signing a big name player doesn't mean they don't get injured, anytime you sign with the colts you're putting your injury risk up

Chad Rinehart of the Chargers though he would be brought in to likely start right away over Mewhort, Im not all that comfortable with our interior O Line but what I would have originally done never happened so Im content as is to watch things unfold

Read my original post... not necessarily a starter for their current team, but someone who has proven he can play and has experience, but is down the queue on a strong depth chart... similar to Thomas at the Pats. How many of these types exist? I don't know, but we do not have the experience, or quality on our interior line to overlook good players who do not start on other teams.

Absolutely worth it, if the right guy was available. I think once the cuts happen we'll pick up a vet.

No matter how good the interior line looks in the preseason, it still possibly a rookie, a one year guy with no starts, and a one year guy who was lost most of the games he started will defend the franchise.

That doesn't make me feel real comfortable. Andrew deserves better.

I've pondered the same. I would almost rather sign a FA vet then lose draft picks. Did Nate Livings ever rehab from his knee? I wouldn't mind coaxing Travelle Wharton out of retirement with a sweet 1 year deal, or what about, dare I say, Richie Incognito?

Oh no...not Richie Incognito. He's been a royal pain in everyone's backside everywhere he's ever been.  Nobody needs that clown in their locker room.  That is, unless someone could convince, say, the Patriots to take him (hehehehehe!).

There was a rumor earlier this off season that Evan Mathis of the Eagles was going to be traded (around the same time that Jackson was being offered for trade -- before he was cut).  He's currently signed for 3 more years at a little over $5M a year but is apparently trying to renegotiate and threatened a hold out.  He's missed only one game in the last 3 years.   It would probably cost at least a 3rd rounder.  I don't know if he plays in the same kind of scheme but I'd image that most of these guys could do well in any scheme. 

Somebody like that Anton?

...... You do realize Satele is the one who took Thomas out right?

And signing a big name player doesn't mean they don't get injured, anytime you sign with the colts you're putting your injury risk up

At the time, Vasquez was not a big name player. He got a contract similar to Thomas' for around 4 years 23 mil. And myself along with many other people on this board were pulling for the Colts to get Vasquez. I wasn't crazy about the signing of Thomas to begin with especially since he got a similar contract to Vasquez who at the time was more highly touted. Plus Thomas had some injury history to him.

At the time, Vasquez was not a big name player. He got a contract similar to Thomas' for around 4 years 23 mil. And myself along with many other people on this board were pulling for the Colts to get Vasquez. I wasn't crazy about the signing of Thomas to begin with especially since he got a similar contract to Vasquez who at the time was more highly touted. Plus Thomas had some injury history to him.

We don't even know if Vasquez considered any team other than the Broncos. By all reports, he wanted to sign with the Broncos all along, and took less money than he could have gotten somewhere else. 

If I remember correctly at the time the rumor was we had interest in Vasquez, but he ended up choosing the Broncos (I am sure they offered more)... we can't force a player to play here.  Their contracts aren't even close to the same DT got 4 yr/$14 mil/$3.5 mil guaranteed .... Vasquez got 4 yrs/$23.5 mil/$10 mil guaranteed .... really not similar at all.

I would at least like to get a look at what we have vs NYJ. If Louis or Mewhort is as good as Thomas we are in the same spot.

Holmes was named the starter at C before camp. Thorton was the starting RG going into camp. That leaves LG open. We are in no different position than before Thomas went down except on of the guys competing for the spot is gone.

There was a large school of thought that Thomas would start the season on the PUP.

This situation could not have taken the front office by surprise. I would assume they have a plan to deal with it. It think it started in May when they selected Mewhort in the 2nd round. 

I said from the very first time Grigs started talking about Thomas in the off season he sounds different when talking about Thomas than any of the other guys coming back.

He has a plan probably a couple of different ones. I would guess the first is to see exactly what we have and go from there. The guy Grigs has been high on since before camp started  if you believe what he says and listen to him is Lance Louis.

There will be cuts coming and there are helpful players still floating around right now. Holmes is still the key to that O Line. He better be able to play C at a high level as Grigs or Pagano say or we will have a problem

If I remember correctly at the time the rumor was we had interest in Vasquez, but he ended up choosing the Broncos (I am sure they offered more)... we can't force a player to play here.  Their contracts aren't even close to the same DT got 4 yr/$14 mil/$3.5 mil guaranteed .... Vasquez got 4 yrs/$23.5 mil/$10 mil guaranteed .... really not similar at all.

Your right he isn't a Colt never was and Hughes got traded because he stunk here don't understand why everyone spends so much time looking in the rear view. We are who we have not who the fans wished we have.

Thomas was a stretch to come back at 100% and if you go back and listen/read  everything Grigs said about him leading up to camp Grigs knew it in my opinion. He was always talking about not one but two significant injuries to come back from. I don't think Grigs ever expected Thomas at LG to start the season. Just my opinion. 

I was among those who liked Vasquez too....but as it turned out he was aggressively recruited to Denver by his college team mate and friend Manny Ramirez, who in fact helped recruit Vasquez to Texas Tech. Again....I'd have liked Vasquez to come on board with the Colts too, but Grigson never had a realistic shot.

Hopefully Mewhort develops earlier than usual or maybe a decent veteran gets shaken loose from another team in the preseason cuts.

Exactly what I'm saying. Glad some of our forum members have no say so in our roster moves. What was the point of drafting linemen just to have them sit?

Good God, here he goes again...

Do you ever wonder why myself and quite a few others take exception to the vast majority of your posts? Why act like you have any clue what you are talking about when it is clear that you don't?

You have said quite a few times in the past that you know little or nothing about Offensive Line play... but recently, you have started spouting your opinion in regards to the O-Line like it is gospel... could you explain that?

Also, you talk about your love of Grigson's aggressive approach, yet when a very Grigson-like scenario is mentioned, you attempt to shoot it down... did you do the same when Richardson was traded for? You say you are happy some of the forum members don't make the Front Office decisions, yet the very concepts put across in this topic are inline with the mentally currently exhibited by our Front Office. Care to explain this as well?

Let me give you a little bit of education.... Rookie linemen rarely perform well... you draft rookie linemen as long-term solutions, bringing in some starter-quality competition helps us. We are in a win-now situation... to put all your faith in three very inexperienced interior linemen is a dangerous game to play.

Now I know you will not acknowledge this, because any time anyone clearly calls out your ignorance, you ignore them and continue to spout your uneducated opinions. Perhaps on this occasion you can hold yourself accountable for your comments...

I like Incognito as a player !! And, I think we have the locker room to keep him in check.