Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there any viability in trading for a vet Guard?

AntonMcG

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we will know for sure Thursday, imo other teams will try to take advantage of our inexperience in the middle of the o-line, they will give it a good test. hope for the best but it scares me

They'll get a huge test early on. Sheldon Richardson and Muhammed Wilkerson form one of the best d-line tandems in the league.

Were at the bottom of the totem pole on the waiver wire though. Or go after guys who aren't subject to the waiver wire

Yeah, but "vested vets" aren't subject to the waiver wire, are they?

[Edit] Woops, I think that got changed and everyone is now subject to waivers after being released

Edited by CoachLite

I agree let them play and next year or the year after they may be good. but we have a chance to go all the way this year. why take a chance on inexperience if we can upgrade. if we had no chance at anything I could see let them develop, what would we have to lose. superbowl chances don't come along every year, imo don't let the o-lines inexperience keep you from it if upgrades are available. the future is now

What makes you think their chance to win the SB this year is any greater than last year at this time?  Second, what upgrades are available?

What makes you think their chance to win the SB this year is any greater than last year at this time?  Second, what upgrades are available?

their chances are not any greater than last year, I did not say they were. I also said if they can upgrade, I don't know what is out there or will be come cut down time. I said if they can upgrade they should

Good God, here he goes again...

Do you ever wonder why myself and quite a few others take exception to the vast majority of your posts? Why act like you have any clue what you are talking about when it is clear that you don't?

You have said quite a few times in the past that you know little or nothing about Offensive Line play... but recently, you have started spouting your opinion in regards to the O-Line like it is gospel... could you explain that?

Also, you talk about your love of Grigson's aggressive approach, yet when a very Grigson-like scenario is mentioned, you attempt to shoot it down... did you do the same when Richardson was traded for? You say you are happy some of the forum members don't make the Front Office decisions, yet the very concepts put across in this topic are inline with the mentally currently exhibited by our Front Office. Care to explain this as well?

Let me give you a little bit of education.... Rookie linemen rarely perform well... you draft rookie linemen as long-term solutions, bringing in some starter-quality competition helps us. We are in a win-now situation... to put all your faith in three very inexperienced interior linemen is a dangerous game to play.

Now I know you will not acknowledge this, because any time anyone clearly calls out your ignorance, you ignore them and continue to spout your uneducated opinions. Perhaps on this occasion you can hold yourself accountable for your comments...

great post

And don't forget, he said he doesn't even watch most games

Yeah, but "vested vets" aren't subject to the waiver wire, are they?

[Edit] Woops, I think that got changed and everyone is now subject to waivers after being released

You had it right at first. Vested veterans aren't subject to waivers at this point in the season. When released, they are immediately free agents. After the trade deadline, all players must clear waivers.

Good points and I agree with you to an extent. However, whilst the coaching staff may have been good with Mewhort starting week one, that was still dependent on Thomas coming back into the lineup and competing as the season progressed... we are expecting a long season after all. Thomas was running with the firsts consistently for a week before he went down. Him going out for the year leaves us fairly thin all of a sudden. The reservations made by Pagano are testament to their unease at the current situation.

Certainly, we should not bring someone in for the sake of it, but if they can identify someone of the sufficient quality, then I doubt there would be much hesitation on the part of the Colts, especially given Grigson's aggressive nature regarding personnel.

I have no doubt Mewhort has talent, but so does Thornton, and despite flashing great ability last year, he was horribly inconsistent and a liability at times... Holmes is somewhat of an unknown. I really don't think any of us can gauge how the interior line will perform this year given the lack of evidence... which may be the root of my concern.

Well...it might have been a tad early, but you were certainly right!  We will have to do a little something with a vet depth signing, maybe 2. It would take a couple of the UDFA lineman standing out it such a way as to compete at a high level when called upon to avoid it and that seems unlikely.

I don't think the need it is at center yet, but unless Nixon is expected back in a couple weeks (scope) we clearly need at least one, and preferably 2 vets that are competent at G/T.  Trouble is, we all know its a short list.  With T. Austin back, that might be about as good as we can find right now in terms of a serviceable interior lineman that is healthy enough to be counted on in a pinch.

After rosters are set, there will be a lot more opportunities to grab a serviceable player or two.  In the interim we are going to have to sweat it out.  I love Reitz, love his talent, and he has produced when healthy, but I never wanted to see our OL depth in a position where he was the 6th guy - I'd like him to be the 8th or 9th - because you have to doubt whether he can play more than a game or two at a time without getting another concussion.