Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most impressive players in the 1st two games.

Coffeedrinker

Just like the title says. If you want to add your most impressive please do.

For me the list is

Brazill: I didn't know much about him when the Colts drafted him and when I saw some of the highlights of him that people posted, I was not real impressed. But this kid has excellent hands and great timing on the jump pull. Hard to see everything on the broadcast (that is why I'm getting the preseason live so I get coaches cameras) but he seems to be open a lot which tells me he is an excellent route runner. He doesn't have the speed of a Hilton but he has great quickness and enough speed.

Jerry Hughes: I may get blasted for this but of the three DEs that made the switch to LB, Mathis, Freeney and Hughes, Hughes has outplayed both of them. Hughes looks like the seasoned veteran whereas Freeney and Mathis have been just okay at the position.

Mike Tepper: The guys is not really quick off the snap, does not have great movement outside the phone booth but he just mauls people and opens holes. And he's good enough in pass protection as well. With the Colts' struggles at RG why not give him a shot?

Other guys have been impressive; Luck great things were expected but he has surpassed expectations, Moala (again impressive preseason) Mathews at the DE spot, Conner is really getting comfortable at ILB and Powers was made for this type of D.

Please comment and/or add your own.

Luck, obviously.

The TEs haven't gotten a lot of receptions, but their blocking has impressed me.

Brown has not only been very fast, but he has been a real weapon in the passing game.

Wayne looked great in the Steelers game. Seems to be making a good connection with Luck.

The OL as a whole has seemed to improve greatly since the Rams game. The seem to be gelling.

Nevis has looked good.

Dwayne Allen's blocking ability. Vick Ballard has been great thus far. Both Hilton and Brazill have made great grabs. Hughes and Addison. Seth Olsen made some monster blocks once he came in. Whalen looked like a player and Chigbo was solid as well. A lot to be excited about.

Mike Tepper is a BIG UGLY. Not sure if he'd be better than Olsen, but he at least should get a start over McGlynn.

I've always been on the Hughes bandwagon. I never felt he's been given an actual shot. Now that he has, he is shining. I think Freeney might have a role in the next Sylvester Stallone movie......get it? The Expendables 3. Addison has looked pretty solid as well.

Conner has been stout at ILB. I thought Freeman has looked alright, but I believe it was him that missed his assignment on that long run by Dwyer last night. Stuff happens though. He'll be alright in Angerer's stay.

Gotta give props to my guy Fili too. People ride him like they do Hughes, and I've always kinda felt like it was unwarranted.

Also, Castonzo looks like a franchise LT. He's already at Joe Thomas' level.......alright that might be premature, but he'll be there soon.

Mike Tepper is a BIG UGLY. Not sure if he'd be better than Olsen, but he at least should get a start over McGlynn.

I've always been on the Hughes bandwagon. I never felt he's been given an actual shot. Now that he has, he is shining. I think Freeney might have a role in the next Sylvester Stallone movie......get it? The Expendables 3. Addison has looked pretty solid as well.

Conner has been stout at ILB. I thought Freeman has looked alright, but I believe it was him that missed his assignment on that long run by Dwyer last night. Stuff happens though. He'll be alright in Angerer's stay.

Gotta give props to my guy Fili too. People ride him like they do Hughes, and I've always kinda felt like it was unwarranted.

Also, Castonzo looks like a franchise LT. He's already at Joe Thomas' level.......alright that might be premature, but he'll be there soon.

I need to re-watch the game, but I thought that Olsen was horrible. I could be wrong, but it seemed like he was always pushed back and facing the wrong way.

Agree with your assessment.

i was very impressed with the left side of the o-line. castonzo,reitz, and satele is giving luck lots of time to throw the ball on that side. still concerned with justice, but seth olsen has looked great as well at rg. i still think our o-line is very underrated and will surprise teams of how physical and athletic they are.

i think what impressed me the most about luck is he took apart the same defense that has given peyton fits for years. i know its preseason and the steelers didnt throw everything at him, but to be to handle a defense like the steelers and only your second nfl game wow

Andrew 'Pick 6' Luck

;)

ohhhhh you!!!

For me, aside from the obvious choice of Mr Luck....hmmmmm

Justin King has looked solid and seems quite under the radar. He's a very physical DB and seems to have great technique. Boy.....so hard to chose. I'll go with Hughes, mostly because of his much maligned early career and the appreciation I have for athletes that stand up and fight against such labels as he was given.....that of a bust. Psychologically that has to wear on a man.

I love Conner he was very good last year and just got lost in angerer's shadow I am glad to see him thriving.

Fili is a 3/4 guy I think so I think the switch to a 3/4 will probably help him more than anyone else on defense. It puts him back at his natural poistion which is 3/4 end.

I like what ive seen from castonzo but I don't know if I'd say he was in joe Thomas's level yet although he's been good.

#64 C Samson Satele. The successful o-line begins and ends with the center who directs and calls all the protections etc.

#47 S Lattarius Thomas. He knows how to tackle an opposing RB, TE, or WR without over pursuing lanes, wrap up, and bring a player down without being penalized.

#92 OLB Jerry Hughes. Reeking havoc, screaming off the edge, and finally making his presence felt on the field.

#33 RB Vick Balland our ground game work horse that churns and burns out the tough yards between the tackles.

#17 WR Austin Collie and #87 WR Reggie Wayne. Gotta give props to the leadership of the seasoned veterans who show the rookies how to grind out games and win in the NFL.

Vick Ballard. Occasionally O-line lets him down and he goes from receiving the handoff to being crushed in a split second but kid runs hard.

Dwayne Allen. Only had two (I think) targets but brought them both in and has blocked really well.

Castonzo. Best O-lineman so far.

Can't remember his name but that tall kid, number 12 or something, he's looked alright.

i was very impressed with the left side of the o-line. castonzo,reitz, and satele is giving luck lots of time to throw the ball on that side.

I could not agree more. Satele was a very good pickup. Castanzo and Reitz work real well together and I do not want us tinkering with that left side whatsoever.

I agree with Coffeedrinker on Hughes in a way, I think it's probably the lack of playing time, hope so anyway. I'm not really worried about Mathis but I'm kinda concerned about Freeney. Also the NT and DE better start taking advantage of Freeney's double teams, so I'm not just concerned about Freeney but how the Dline works together as a group.

But this is about players impressing. I'm liking what I'm seeing from most of the players overall.