Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Please tell me you all see Jerry Hughes

Michael Lebron

I did notice him. He seems active. I appreciate his hussle and I'm sure the coaches will notice too. I hope he keeps building on this....but we will see. Come regular season the reps will get less probably so he has to keep his head in the game. That will be the true test.

The 3-4 switch is working in his favor so far. Keep it up.

....and how many times did we hear this in his defense over the years and it just sounded like an excuse?

You go Jerry.

If Tom Zbikowski and Jerry Hughes catch fire.....can we please nick this defense the Tom & Jerry Show? Pleeeease?

I think Mathis will be good too but I'm starting to get worried about Freeney. Did anyone notice Freeney and Mathis constantly switching sides? I'm not sure that was a symptom or the cause of their in effectiveness . They didn't get much of a chance to correct themselves, hopefully Mathis will be healthy enough to play and have a better game, like last week. I think Freeney could use more playing time this preseason. His hand is down most of the time but his role seems much different. I'm wondering how Freeney can use finesse in a role that seems to demand power. I think he would thrive as well if he played Mathis and Hughes's position.

he was better suited for the 3-4 defense because of his athletic ability. i think he should start or atleast split minutes with freeney because most likely this will be freeney's last year.

At this point in time, He doesn't play Freeneys' position on the weakside. Maybe he could, but we haven't seen him in that role yet. He has been borderline dominant from the strongside, even against the Steelers starters tonight after Mathis went out early.

I think Mathis will be good too but I'm starting to get worried about Freeney. Did anyone notice Freeney and Mathis constantly switching sides? I'm not sure that was a symptom or the cause of their in effectiveness . They didn't get much of a chance to correct themselves, hopefully Mathis will be healthy enough to play and have a better game, like last week. I think Freeney could use more playing time this preseason. His hand is down most of the time but his role seems much different. I'm wondering how Freeney can use finesse in a role that seems to demand power. I think he would thrive as well if he played Mathis and Hughes's position.

Dont be surprised if Freeney is used in stunts if he gets double teamed all the time (though not as much), Coyer deja vu!!! :)

I think Freeney would be good on the strong side like Mathis and Hughes. We need more linebackers that are good at the weak side. Hopefully Freeney can adjust, but he needs more playing time to do that. I'm not sure it's wise to wait till the regular season to work out the kinks.

He played really well last year in the preseason.

Im going to wait for the regular season before i start judging him.

I'll give him this, he's performing very well in the new system.

Hughes was buzzing around camp last year. Thats all we heard. He didn't show anything worth looking at in the preseason unlike this year. Completely different. But we will see.

So far Hughes has done well against other teams 2nd and 3rd string. Put him against the 1st stringers and the result is usually a bit different.

IMO he is crazy athletic and has the potential to be great but he just seems a bit lazy on the field. I think we are all hoping this guy will turn out to be a defensive monster but I'm not sure he wants it bad enough.

So far Hughes has done well against other teams 2nd and 3rd string. Put him against the 1st stringers and the result is usually a bit different.

IMO he is crazy athletic and has the potential to be great but he just seems a bit lazy on the field. I think we are all hoping this guy will turn out to be a defensive monster but I'm not sure he wants it bad enough.

Hughes played most of the first half against their first string...both he and Addison came in and played 1st team D early on. Freeney went out early again when Mathis did.

I think Freeney would be good on the strong side like Mathis and Hughes. We need more linebackers that are good at the weak side. Hopefully Freeney can adjust, but he needs more playing time to do that. I'm not sure it's wise to wait till the regular season to work out the kinks.

It is a completely different role and Freeney is perfect for the weakside - that is the rush side with minimal coverage duties.

I have to see more of the Mathis and Freeney tandem before I can validate my statement here, but if Hughes

continues to play like he is I believe he could replace Freeney. I just think Hughes is a better athletic fit for the way that

position needs to be played. I feel like D Free can still ball with the best of them, but it might not be in this scheme.

Only time will tell.

I have to see more of the Mathis and Freeney tandem before I can validate my statement here, but if Hughes

continues to play like he is I believe he could replace Freeney. I just think Hughes is a better athletic fit for the way that

position needs to be played. I feel like D Free can still ball with the best of them, but it might not be in this scheme.

Only time will tell.

He plays Mathis's role, not Freeney's.

He is Athletic enough to play either position.

We don't know that because he hasn't played it. Pagano is probably not ready to change people's roles yet. Right now it's mainly Freeney and Addison playing weak side. Freeney isn't lacking athleticism IMO but power. Hughes depends on his athleticism more than Freeney does, so I don't think that moving Hughes to weak side will be an improvement.