Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bears post game thread

GoColts8818

They showed a stat that the Bears were either last or next to last in many of the rushing categories. I will wait to pass judgement before declaring that Gus has fixed that run defense. AR needs to work strictly on the short to intermediate stuff in practice. His long game is fine and they also need to utilize his legs more. Happy with the win though!!!!!

Our offense was tough to watch almost the entirety of this game… but we won, and that’s an improvement from the past 2 weeks.

our time of possession wasn’t as lopsided despite that we still lost that battle. 

The run defense held up significantly better than the previous 2 weeks.

we saw some minor improvements overall with the biggest just being that we won. Until next week…

AR's throwing fundamentals are shot.

I honestly don't know how they can fix this. He reminds me of Jeff George with speed.

Taylor, the online, and the defense saved this game.

I grow more impressed with Pierce. Today he demonstrated great down field blocking. He's a hustler.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

They showed a stat that the Bears were either last or next to last in many of the rushing categories. I will wait to pass judgement before declaring that Gus has fixed that run defense. AR needs to work strictly on the short to intermediate stuff in practice. His long game is fine and they also need to utilize his legs more. Happy with the win though!!!!!

Everything today should be said with with a grain of salt. But confidence for that defense was needed and can go a long way. Next we we have a dual threat QB which will make everything harder.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm not sold on AR. I trash wasn't a fan of the pick. I'm still in the camp we should trade him. If teams are calling about Young then AR would surely easily get moved. Accuracy IS needed in this league and you just can't teach that.

-Peace

You’d only get Pennie’s on the dollar.   100% not happening.   

18 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It's not really a young team though. We have 3 rookies playing the rest are veterans. It needs to be better out of the gate.

Didnt PFF or spotrac or OverTheCap state the Colts are the youngest team in the NFL?   

What we should be looking at with AR is he making the right reads. The inaccuracy on the reads will get fixed. This offense is still evolving.

4 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Hmmm.....who drafted those two?

This game didn’t mean much  too me. Let’s play a competent offense then we will see. That comes next week.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Didnt PFF or spotrac or OverTheCap state the Colts are the youngest team in the NFL?   

I think it was Ballard who said "they aren't rookies anymore" when talking about the secondary. No doubt the team is young, but all but 3 have tried this before. The Colts ALWAYS look unprepared at season start and it's getting old real fast.

GOOD

- We got our first one in the win column.  It was ugly, but a win is a win.

- Defense (as a whole):  I thought Caleb was going to shred us, but actually he didn’t.  I mean don’t get me wrong, he threw 2 TDs and had 353 yards but he threw 52 times and avged 7yards a throw.  I’ll take that.  Completely shut down the run as well with some sacks and turnovers to go with it.

Jaylon Jones:  2 INTs on the day.  

JT:  over 100yds, 2 touchdowns, caught some passes as well.  That’s what we pay him for.

Latu:  rook came through with the strip sack!

Nick Cross:  keep him at SS please.

OL:  gave up one sack and opened up holes for the run game.  Another week of them showing why they’re best right now

MEH

- Shane Steichen:  the playcalling at first was horrible but it seemed he calmed down, started to lean on the run, and good things began to happen.  Shane would be in the bad section if this wasn’t a win but since we did because of his change in playcalling he gets a “meh”.  Keep it simple, don’t have AR throw more than 25 times, lean on the run until we can’t, and this team will look much better.

- AR:  right reads, horrible throws.  But he made up for it with his legs late.  Made some key plays that were important to our success.  Im not as hard on him as others because I understand the situation and I honestly place more blame on Shane on not putting AR situations where he can use his strengths.  But AR finished another game and that’s what is most important, MORE EXPERIENCE. 

- Pass Defense:  Idk if this is on Gus Bradley or personnel, just seemed like Kmet was just constantly open.  Odunze got 6 catches off 11 targets so eh and DJ Moore had a good game as well.  But idk, when a qb throws 53 times they’re going to produce, but for us to play so much zone and cover 2/3 we’d see better numbers. 

BAD

- Shane playcalling for 3/4 of the game:  keep the plays sophisticated and exotic but keep the playcalling simple.  Lean on the run, play action, give AR easy situations.  It’s that simple.  

• Thanks 1

Great to get the win but I fear what our record will look like in the end. Only so much running you can do. At some point you have to be able to put drives together. I have real concerns about this kids accuracy. I am not concerned about his reads. He makes the right reads mostly but the delivery just stinks other than the deep shots. I don't know what to say!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Oh I'm sure that camp is going to be desolate. I agree. Doesn't mean it shouldn't happen though. Ballard loves dying on his hills

It shouldn't happen.  Not at this time.  Too do so would be ridiculously, astronomically stupid

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do you guys realize Williams has more football experience than AR. This was a rough game where basically two rookies struggled. Colts won because they had the better Oline and run game they could lean on.

Lean On Me Help GIF by chuber channel

For those that wanted Will Levis, he actually has played worse than AR The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Titans are 0-3, and Levis threw yet another pick six along with another interception. 

Richardson had another rough day, but it didn’t cost us in the end. A win is a win. 

This haha 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For those that wanted Will Levis, he actually has played worse than AR The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

This haha 

Yep. 

Usually it’s a team effort to win and lose. 

But with Tennessee, Levis is single handedly costing them games with stupid decisions and bad reads. 

Just now, RollerColt said:

Yep. 

Usually it’s a team effort to win and lose. 

But with Tennessee, Levis is single handedly costing them games with stupid decisions and bad reads. 

And I say this as a prior Levis supporter. 

8 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Like that they gave Sermon reps near the goalline he's a powerful RB.

They had to. Colts had been riding JT who had several runs in a row for chunk yards and contact on the way. Needed fresh legs in there and Sermon made good on them.

• Like 1

We won.  It was ugly.  But it was a win.

Notes:

• AR isn't just inaccurate, he's wildly inaccurate.
  • AR is also wildly athletic, and can blow through would-be tacklers like the best of any tight ends.
  • Interesting way to adjust to stop the run: flip-flop Paye (who can seal the edge) over to the weak side.
  • What are you doing playing 6 yards off on a 4th and 1?  Snap the ball, throw left, take one step, first down.  Facepalm.
  • Loved the Group Hug Moving The Pile for the touchdown.
  • Now that Brents, Flowers, and Moore are hurt, Jones just may be our best defensive back.
  • Amazing to think that Nick Cross was struggling to convince the coaches that he should be a starter.  Right now, he's the defensive MVP.
  • Glad Laiatu Latu finally got a sack.  And a strip-sack, too.
  • Lots of bad tackling.
  • Lots and LOTS of stupid penalties.

So this is victory.  Enjoy the taste, boys.  But we've got to play a whole lot better if we're gonna beat anybody that's good.

• Like 2

Richardson, right now, is not an NFL starting quarterback.  He is barely a college starting quarterback.  But we drafted him high and we’ve made the decision to go with him.  That’s just the way it is.  Imo his sidearm delivery is going to be a problem.   Balls are floating into no man’s land.  One big play doesn’t make up for all of the other misses.  Many of his misses are mind boggling.  Thank goodness we have a great OL and RB.  
                 Again the defense only gave up 16 points and again we were on the wrong side of TOP for over 10 minutes.  Whining about Gus and the defense doesn’t hold any water.  Offense is letting us down not the defense.  Only 3 third conversions out of 12 attempts.  Hard to win doing that.  Coach is letting us down as well.  I’m wondering if AR’s accuracy issues and decision making is holding him back.  Shane is struggling in the play calling department that’s for sure.  Personally I think we could win the division with Flacco.  But we’re rolling with AR so expect a lot of poor performances.  For me he didn’t improve this week.  Hopefully we see some improvement next week.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’d only get Pennie’s on the dollar.   100% not happening.   

I'm not sure why he is not running. He is supposed to be this weapon and so far he's like a pop gun that barely fires off. It's depressing

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

For a guy in Steichen that helped coach up Justin Herbert in year 1 and then Jalen Hurts, I wonder if they are coaching Richardson all wrong right now. 

I think it’s one of those situations where he’s falling in love with the flashes not understanding they’re just flashes.  It seems the playcalling was toned down with minshew but with AR it just seems all over the place.  I mean zack freaking moss led the league in rushing by a wide margin.  We need to get back to that type of playcalling until AR shows improvement.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Steichen’s halftime comment that AR’s brutal interception in the end zone was his fault because of the play call was a terrible look. It’s OK to say AR made a bad decision. He’s a man, the face of the franchise — I’d hope he can take some criticism. If the Colts baby AR like this behind the scenes, it’s a concern. 

He wasn't entirely wrong for saying that... Because it was a bad coaching decision. He doesn't need to scrutinize AR to the media, so long as he is calling him out behind closed doors and holding him accountable. There's multiple levels to that being a process of growth. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

I'm not sure why he is not running. He is supposed to be this weapon and so far he's like a pop gun that barely fires off. It's depressing

I think we'll start seeing it more. Feels like they are pushing him to sit back and throw to really evaluate and try to develop. If the plan was to do that early, try and get a few clean games under his belt and then really start honing in on a gameplan to highlight what his strengths are, then I'm ok with this start. If they don't start making adjustments with that and we keep trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, then I have a real problem with the entire picture. We're 1-2 and in ok position as a team. It's time to start playing to the strengths of the qb and create a team identity for this season, regardless of what the ultimate longterm goal is for the franchise. 

• Like 1