Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Ballard trade pittman

Stephen

They actually can't trade MPJ without incurring $15M in dead cap this year (which is most of what they have remaining).

But beyond that, no. MPJ is the guy for the next 3 years regardless. He's also by far the best WR on this team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

No. In truth Ballard and Irsay should've shown the money to a few key FA defenders. 

It didn't happen. This is the defense we have to live with. 

Don't take away Pittman from our rookie QB. 

The players aren’t the problem with the defense it’s the Coordinator. Now not moving on from Bradley this offseason, I put that on Ballard and Steichen. The signs were there, but loyalty is gonna bite them in the butt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

The players aren’t the problem with the defense it’s the Coordinator. Now not moving on from Bradley this offseason, I put that on Ballard and Steichen. The signs were there, but loyalty is gonna bite them in the butt

You'll find quite a few of us agree with you on Bradley. I've never been a fan of his defense. 

But, it would've been hard for them to fire him. This off-season for Ballard has been about continuity. While I wish we would've picked up a different coordinator, this is what it is. 

• Like 1

You don’t sign a player to a new contract and trade him with-in six months of each other in the NFL.  Aside from the salary cap hell a move like that would create good luck getting a player to sign a contract with you again after a move like that.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The huge chunk plays are exciting and something we havent had in a long while... that said, i REALLY hope that AR is able to become a good short/mid passer, also having Downs back will help, i think...but having a good TE would work wonders, as well. The way AR seems to miss high, having a TALL TE would be nice (one that can stay on the field and contribute).  If we arent able to sustain long drives from time to time and eat some clock, our D will struggle.  Not many Ds in the league can be on the field 40 of the 60 minutes and look very good...

On a different note... When you look at our record since Ballard got here...how long it's been since we won a week 1 game...and how long it's been since we won the division... He must be a very good talker, when he is with Irsay!   Was he dealt a few bad hands? Sure... but look how fast so many other teams have turned it around, while he has been here (most came from far worse shape than he inherited).

No. Colts still have cap space and had opportunities to improve on defense and chose not to. Why would you trade one of your best offensive weapons for your QB at this point.

Also, I agree. We need tight end and defensive help!

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

I don't believe its loyalty, certainly not blind loyalty. I think its consistency they are seeking.

21 minutes ago, Bravo said:

No. Colts still have cap space and had opportunities to improve on defense and chose not to. Why would you trade one of your best offensive weapons for your QB at this point.

Also, I agree. We need tight end and defensive help!

Well Ogletree  and Mallory  weren't  really used in passing  game

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Well Ogletree  and Mallory  weren't  really used in passing  game

I personally don’t think they are that good. They haven’t done much to impress although both have had some injuries. Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Bravo said:

I personally don’t think they are that good. They haven’t done much to impress although both have had some injuries. Just my opinion.

Ogletree  had a few nice catches last year. The main problem  is cox Ogletree  will have a good game then disappear  the next several  games for lack of targets.

Do I think that Mitchell and Downs will probably be the central WR's for "Tomorrow's Colts"?  Yeah, I think so.

But they haven't trained themselves up high enough yet for that.

In the meantime, Pittman is the central guy for "Today's Colts".

No, we shouldn't trade him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Are you familiar with 

A. The salary implications 

B. He is the best WR on the team

He didn't  look like the best one yesterday 

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

GIF by Ghostbusters

Yep lol

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

We won't get much for a Tier 2 WR or a Tier 2 RB (matter of time before folks bring up JT). Might as well use them as well as we can.

The offensive line played like crap yesterday.  I don’t put that on JT

I’m guessing the Texans were trying to take MPJ out of the game and that opened up opportunities for the younger guys who seemed to come through. I would speculate as teams start to fear the deep ball, MPJ and JT will shine more.  Hopefully this offense becomes a pick your poison and AR takes what the defense gives him. 

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

We won't get much for a Tier 2 WR or a Tier 2 RB (matter of time before folks bring up JT). Might as well use them as well as we can.

True, and i didn’t want to resign ether to big contracts. I think an offensive line makes a rb and a qb makes a wr. That money would have been better spent on other positions of need.