Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Laiatu Latu Edge UCLA

CR91

12 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

My first reaction when he came out on stage - "Wow he's long and wiry."   Given his mental determination to go on despite the surgery, I believe he'll do whatever is necessary to thicken up - just enough to not impact his speed.  And...he wasn't wearing sunglasses.

Dingus, I agree and hope he ends up being elite, and a Colt for a long time! and I dont know why but the "sunglasses" blurb made me chuckle! ..... Just general old man statement....Not a fan of the fashion show aspect of this generation......./end get off my lawn statement ......

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I have no clue what colts will do tomorrow because I have no clue if there is any WR left or what CB could be there. Doesn’t seem to be a very deep class after this first round.

They'll grad a CB in round 2 or 3. 

3 minutes ago, Crunked said:

Dingus, I agree and hope he ends up being elite, and a Colt for a long time! and I dont know why but the "sunglasses" blurb made me chuckle! ..... Just general old man statement....Not a fan of the fashion show aspect of this generation......./end get off my lawn statement ......

It was!  But, on reviewing photos…he did have sunglasses on!!

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

We tried. It’s been reported we were the highest bidders on at least two FA players and lost both

Which is literally the definition of "two to tango." We were left dancing alone, so we found the best partner that was available.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think he supplants Dayo more than Paye

Paye and Dayo have both been a bit of a disappointment in my book. I was hoping they might eventually turn into the next Freeney and Mathis but they’re just another guy in the rotation who’s mediocre to good depending on the day.  I’m hoping a Latu is Elite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

All he has to do to move up the list of “best edge rushers drafted by Ballard” is be better than ben banogu, so just showing up and registering a pulse automatically moves him up the board. 

You forgot about kemoko turay & Terrell Basham lol

• Like 1

The only negative about Latu is his past injury. He is one of the best edge rushers, but how will that stand in the NFL?  OTOH, Ballard must have considered everything and decided that the reward outplays the risk. They wouldn't have gotten him if they had any doubts. 

59 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Year 4 is year one of NFL Prime. Kwity was very good last season.

Kwity was credited with 0 missed tackles. He also plays his flat like a beast. 

He is a riser. We need a good blitzing LB. 

Blitzing when you have corners that can only cover the zone in front of them from ten yards off for 2 seconds... Ballard is in the stone age. 

Our division rivals are glad he is here.

:facepalm:

Just wanted to make a note as to what many people seem to be misunderstanding:

Yes, Latu had a neck injury. Yes, he was medically retired for a season.

However, this was not his decision. Washington essentially forced him to retire after a few team doctors incorrectly said he’d never play again so that the team could open up a scholarship spot and didn’t have to wait for him to get healthy. They never once gave him a chance to prove he was healthy with a physical, so Latu left for UCLA, where he almost immediately passed a physical and was cleared by their team doctors.

Yes, a neck injury is scary, but Latu has played 2 full healthy seasons since that, and the only reason he is being questioned is because Washington and their team doctors failed to do their jobs correctly and let Latu heal.

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Kevin Bowen made a good point on the radio this morning. In the past Ballard would have taken Turner. He would have taken the high traits guy. This time he took the polished guy who was proven. I can live with that. I would have been mad had we taken him over the four big pass catchers but they were gone.

Yeah. That's why I'm happy about this pick. Latu is the best EDGE on the field in this draft and it isn't even close. That's a change in philosophy for Ballard and I'm happy about it. Still nice athleticism, but the production is that of an elite EDGE. The best case scenario would have been Bowers at 15, but he didn't make it, so Ballard made the correct decision in not trading down and getting the first defensive player off the board before the EDGE run started.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

However, this was not his decision. Washington essentially forced him to retire after a few team doctors incorrectly said he’d never play again so that the team could open up a scholarship spot and didn’t have to wait for him to get healthy. They never once gave him a chance to prove he was healthy with a physical, so Latu left for UCLA, where he almost immediately passed a physical and was cleared by their team doctors.

Yes, a neck injury is scary, but Latu has played 2 full healthy seasons since that, and the only reason he is being questioned is because Washington and their team doctors failed to do their jobs correctly and let Latu heal.

I forget where I heard this but someone said he played rugby...after Washington " retired" him

4 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Context is king. Thank you for sharing that. I'll look up some more information on his situation, or at least I will if my dang eye every slows down on swelling!

2 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Well said. For me the injury concern isn't the "right now" as much as it is "will it effect his longevity?" Unless I am forgetting someone, Manning is the only recollection I have of a similar sitch....Different position/age/etc. but he held up for like 3 or so years, before his skills diminished beyond effective......again I understand the differences but I don't think its known what the expectations are for any individual long term.....I hope its for a good long time.....but it does concern me, mostly because its not an injury procedure that has a lot of examples to draw from in terms of how it plays out long term. 

7 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Great post 👍

5 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Paye hasnt even had a year 4 yet. 

His first 3 years are WAY better than Hendricksons first 3 years. 

My bad, you’re right.  I don’t know who stats I was looking at last night lol.  Hennessy will do that. ;(

Well, Trey production might’ve been due to him being in a rotation over there in NO before he got to Cincy, with him being a third rounder.  But either way, Trey turned it on year 4.  So you’re right, I’ll give qwitty one more year.  Not saying qwitty is bad, but we do need more from that position.  And it seems Ballard and co agrees as this is his second attempt at trying to upgrade that position this off-season.

I agree with the pick, we can’t wait and hope for something when we have an opportunity to possibly upgrade at a premium position and one of the highest paying positions.  Due to the way the draft played out, We had the opportunity to pick the FIRST defensive player off the board, which also mean probably the BEST defensive player on the board (depending on how whoever looks at it).  We don’t know when we’ll have that opportunity if ever again. 

3 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Yeah. That's why I'm happy about this pick. Latu is the best EDGE on the field in this draft and it isn't even close. That's a change in philosophy for Ballard and I'm happy about it. Still nice athleticism, but the production is that of an elite EDGE. The best case scenario would have been Bowers at 15, but he didn't make it, so Ballard made the correct decision in not trading down and getting the first defensive player off the board before the EDGE run started.

I think we are seeing growth from Ballard as a GM, which is what I would think everyone would hope for. He’s gone after free agents (even though they didn’t come here), he drafted a qb, put offers to move up in the 1st, and now drafted an edge that is actually productive instead of off upside. Hope it continues.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Also just saw this… 

"At that time it was Covid and it was just a funky time and it just wasn't handled in the right way," Latu remarked. "I didn't have any physical examinations with any doctor at that time so really it was just an opinion of somebody's without even looking at my physical, without giving me a test and stuff like that. So, I feel like they were just doing what they felt best but at the same time I feel like it wasn't really handled in the best way."

• Like 1

Venturi said he was taught that you want a guy who can put the ball in the endzone or a guy who can knock down their QB.

Not my idea of a sexy pick, but we haven't had a true edge rusher that teams had to worry about in a long, long time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

We tried. It’s been reported we were the highest bidders on at least two FA players and lost both

People keep underestimating how Indianapolis keep being in the bottom part of the league in terms of a free agency location. Especially in this "self (digital) promotion" age of the players as well

I believe we offered more money to Hunter than anyone else and he choose to play elsewhere

27 minutes ago, Crunked said:

Well said. For me the injury concern isn't the "right now" as much as it is "will it effect his longevity?" Unless I am forgetting someone, Manning is the only recollection I have of a similar sitch....Different position/age/etc. but he held up for like 3 or so years, before his skills diminished beyond effective......again I understand the differences but I don't think its known what the expectations are for any individual long term.....I hope its for a good long time.....but it does concern me, mostly because its not an injury procedure that has a lot of examples to draw from in terms of how it plays out long term. 

From @nsurg

"So he had a cervical fusion... this is a surgery I do frequently.  Once it heals the surgery is more or less the strongest part of the neck.  The biggest problems with a fusion in this context are:

(1) loss of nerve function prior to surgery may or may not recover after surgery, usually over the next 3-12 months (but his production after surgery implies no major concern on this)

(2) the patient will have somewhat accelerated wear/arthritis at non fused levels.  While this is a real concern, it will unfortunately be more of an issue for him later in life, after his NFL career.

Peyton had this surgery as his final neck surgery before playing for the broncos, but his problem was number one above, he apparently never had the same arm strength as before.

Ahmad Bradshaw also had this same surgery in 2013, he already had I think 6 years of RB play prior to that.  His YPC held up but was utilized less, but this may mirror more a tapering RB career.

I'm not personally worried about the medical status of this player, but I have no idea the actual details obviously.  I will say that very few surgeons would be eager to clear the player to play afterwards, mostly for the stupid liability things in medicine.

I think it's fair to say we got a really nice pick here for value."

https://forums.colts.com/topic/76891-colts-select-laiatu-latu-edge-ucla/?do=findComment&comment=2646941

• Like 2

I just want to point out that Ballard again told us the truth in his pre-draft presser. His answer to the question of whether he has changed anything in his draft philosophy, pretty much explains the Latu pick in view of him being a bit of a departure from what he's usually done (i.e. super high level athleticism, some projection of what the player can be vs what he is now)

"of course you look for unique talent, unique traits, ...character... but then also... on the flip side of that making sure that we are drafting not only the unique traits but also some substance with the tape"... 

So yeah, I think this answer a very good explanation of that pick... "substance with the tape". Not that Latu is not athletic. He is, but his athleticism is not his selling point. The selling point is the substance - the technical refinement, the tape, the production. 

With that said... I wonder if we will continue to see that on day 2 and day 3? Can we see one of the Ballard's lowest RAS drafts? 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Crunked said:

My wife and I are both 30, but we feel like old people. I don't get the sunglasses indoors, TikTok dances, or constant selfies in public, but oh well. I suppose my kids will have a leg up in the job market when they've practiced communication skills rather than the dance of the week! 😂

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think we are seeing growth from Ballard as a GM, which is what I would think everyone would hope for. He’s gone after free agents (even though they didn’t come here), he drafted a qb, put offers to move up in the 1st, and now drafted an edge that is actually productive instead of off upside. Hope it continues.

I'm wondering if Steichen has had a good influence on him, or if Ballard just had a change in philosophy. It could be as simple as Latu being the BPA on defense, so we'll see as the draft goes on today and tomorrow what type of players he takes. Definitely promising to see him take Latu over Turner though. I was cheering from my house when that happened. 

• Like 3

Just now, DattMavis said:

My wife and I are both 30, but we feel like old people. I don't get the sunglasses indoors, TikTok dances, or constant selfies in public, but oh well. I suppose my kids will have a leg up in the job market when they've practiced communication skills rather than the dance of the week! 😂

I'm 36 and I don't get this either. I only have 2 or 3 Gen Z friends tbh. Most of my friends are millenials. There's a lot of stuff today I don't agree with. I'm very old-school. I don't even watch most TV Shows and movies from the last 15 years. 

2 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

I turn 36 this year. The only time I ever wear sunglasses indoors is when I'm playing guitar with my band. Can't explain why, but it just helps with the anxiety and nerves lol... 

It's definitely 100% wasn't the player I wanted but the more I think about it the more I can't be mad at this pick. We got one of the few elite talents in this draft. Lot depends on these two rounds coming up though

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Venturi said he was taught that you want a guy who can put the ball in the endzone or a guy who can knock down their QB.

Not my idea of a sexy pick, but we haven't had a true edge rusher that teams had to worry about in a long, long time.

Or one that brought the true shine out in Buckner, which I think he still has plenty of to show. He and Buck could really wreck havoc on o-lines together. Especially if Latu comes out of the gate hot, which I think we all would hope for. 

• Like 1

So I'm guessing with all our EDGE depth now, we're going to be rotating a ton during games. Ballard will finally have his "layers and layers" of EDGE rushers that he can use. If Bradley and Patridge use these guys correctly and they stay healthy, last year may be sustainable now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Or one that brought the true shine out in Buckner, which I think he still has plenty of to show. He and Buck could really wreck havoc on o-lines together. Especially if Latu comes out of the gate hot, which I think we all would hope for. 

Wreak.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, r a y s k i said:

People keep underestimating how Indianapolis keep being in the bottom part of the league in terms of a free agency location. Especially in this "self (digital) promotion" age of the players as well

I believe we offered more money to Hunter than anyone else and he choose to play elsewhere

The issue is we might be the only team in an NFL division that has 3 other teams in states ALL with no state tax. A big disadvantage for us.

25 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I guess I'm just shocked that Latu and the other top defensive picks were even available to us. You don't normally get this kind of talent at pick 15. 

Teams reaching for QBs certainly set table.  I said it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I guess I'm just shocked that Latu and the other top defensive picks were even available to us. You don't normally get this kind of talent at pick 15. 

Exactly, I started to talk myself into Brian Thomas Jr at 15 and it stings the Jags got him instead but we got an elite talent at a premium position at 15. Could be a steal. 

• Like 3