Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Major upgrade needed

indyagent17

It’s good to be four and five, but looking at the teams we have played it’s not as great. Baltimore was a Quality win but what I can see is that we need a major upgrade at right guard and meet another solid cornerback and can we please get a number one receiver on this team, I hope the team keeps winning because it’s good for the Fanbase. I just hope that Ballard had the same ideas and not stick with the same wide receiver core. 

• Like 2

We’re at the halfway point of the season. I’m actually surprised we’re 4-5 all things considered. 

What we do from now until January will bear responsibility for what happens in the off season. Our young corners continue to experience and if they show growth we might be better than some think that department. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Watching this season unfold, I don't think right guard is really our biggest concern

Maybe I'm stupid, but Fries is making some great blocks down field, his pass blocking looks solid to me. Maybe somebody with a better eye than me is seeing something I can't?

• Like 9

The needs have been the same in Ballard's LONG unfulfilled tenure.... A pass rushing DE, a top WR1 and a shutdown corner!!! Seems like we finally have a solid LT since AC's retirement and also seem to have the right young qb / hc combo after a mostly subpar list of both.

Hopefully Ballard's decision not to move up a couple of spots to snag the pro ready Stroud (my first choice) will not come back to haunt the franchise BUT I do believe that the raw uber talented Richardson (my second choice) is the REAL DEAL and think the two QBs will prove to be the best of this class.

Unfortunately AR's promising season was cut short due to injury so it'll buy Ballard some more time to UPGRADE this team's talent level and position them to start WINNING on a CONSISTENT level in order to compete for division titles or playoff runs INSTEAD of record wise being a bottom tier team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know everyone is fixated on Marv Jr. but the draft is loaded with WR’s and CB’s.  I’m not sure what’s there for elite pass rushers. Elite pass rushers are tough to find. I think I would get AR another young weapon at WR to add to the group. 

There are 6-7 CB’s that could go Rd. 1. 

WR’s-Coleman, Nabors, Odunze 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

It’s good to be four and five, but looking at the teams we have played it’s not as great. Baltimore was a Quality win but what I can see is that we need a major upgrade at right guard and meet another solid cornerback and can we please get a number one receiver on this team, I hope the team keeps winning because it’s good for the Fanbase. I just hope that Ballard had the same ideas and not stick with the same wide receiver core. 

Jones and Brents are fine for CB.  They still need to learn some more, but they have been playing pretty well (Brents, when available).  WR is a toss up.  I think Minshew is questionable at best, and I think AR would make our WRs look better, and open up the ground game as well.

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

The needs have been the same in Ballard's LONG unfulfilled tenure.... A pass rushing DE, a top WR1 and a shutdown corner!!! Seems like we finally have a solid LT since AC's retirement and also seem to have the right young qb / hc combo after a mostly subpar list of both.

Hopefully Ballard's decision not to move up a couple of spots to snag the pro ready Stroud (my first choice) will not come back to haunt the franchise BUT I do believe that the raw uber talented Richardson (my second choice) is the REAL DEAL and think the two QBs will prove to be the best of this class.

Unfortunately AR's promising season was cut short due to injury so it'll buy Ballard some more time to UPGRADE this team's talent level and position them to start WINNING on a CONSISTENT level in order to compete for division titles or playoff runs INSTEAD of record wise being a bottom tier team. 

Stroud would have been amazing  here as well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RollerColt said:

We’re at the halfway point of the season. I’m actually surprised we’re 4-5 all things considered. 

What we do from now until January will bear responsibility for what happens in the off season. Our young corners continue to experience and if they show growth we might be better than some think that department. 

Yes, a good pass rush from our edges would help but Paye isn’t getting it done another bad draft pick by Ballard.  So again we need a upgrade there. 

3 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Jones and Brents are fine for CB.  They still need to learn some more, but they have been playing pretty well (Brents, when available).  WR is a toss up.  I think Minshew is questionable at best, and I think AR would make our WRs look better, and open up the ground game as well.

Yes, and make our running backs look even better. 

Sitting at middle of the draft order, we need to get a difference maker at whatever position that we take

I dont see a game changing DE that is available, but we do need someone to put more pressure that we are getting today.

If you have another CB that can cover, you are then able to blitz much more often,  without worrying about receivers being wide open

THIS could actually improve the pass rush

There are some top flight CBs and WRs that are available  

It would be a shame to reach for a so-so DE 

Needs

HEALTH

DE, Alpha WR, CB, FS

I would be ok with drafting CB or WR with round 1

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

DE / Pass rusher is #1 

I hate to say it, but Ballard has yet to draft a great one. 

I dont think he passed on any either except for tj watt.  Thats who i wanted in that draft but there was little to no talk about him coming here by anyone really.I didnt even say much myself.  I think he was seen as more of a 34 the very year we switched to a 43

5 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Yes, a good pass rush from our edges would help but Paye isn’t getting it done another bad draft pick by Ballard.  So again we need a upgrade there. 

I never liked the Paye pick for WHAT Ballard was drafting him for. Paye was NEVER an ELITE or even upper tier pass rusher in college.  He was more of an edge setter that played hard. To expect a guy that had only 11.5 sacks NOT in one season but for his WHOLE college career to suddenly turn into a top level pass rusher in the NFL was a reach.

Not only did Ballard use a first rd pick on a SOLID but nowhere near game changing Paye but DOUBLED down with our 2nd rd pick and used it on Dayo who by the way had only 12 sacks his WHOLE college career. Dayo was also coming off an Achilles tear which is considered by most as a skill altering injury for a DE by robbing them of some speed and torque. Ballard made the choice anyway for ANOTHER solid type knowing that he would also have to sit out his rookie season. What?!

These are the type of decisions combined with some other head scratching moves over the YEARS that has put this team below .500 under Ballard's guidance. Say what you want about HOF gm Bill Polian but the man drafted HOFs or fringe type ones at the PREMIUM positions in both Buffalo and Indy while winning division titles and getting to SBs. 

All I see from Ballard after all these YEARS is polished talker trying to use the Polian template by building through the draft and being limited in FA only in Ballard's version there are too many JAG types ESPECIALLY at the positions needed to compete in today's NFL. If it's ALL about "RAS" scores, potential and low risk high reward types in FA then Ballard is your guy along with the ready made excuses by his fans on WHY this team continues to remain non relevant while other teams have flipped since Ballard has been at the helm in Indy.

• Like 4

I think we have a number one receiver, and we stole him in (I think) the third round. Josh Downs appears to have all the makings of a top tier receiver in the NFL. Getting Ashton Dulin back next year will also help. Would like to see them add one more piece to that room, but I don't see it as the top priority. I think our young outside CB's, Brents, Flowers, Jones, are a pretty solid core if they can get healthy and stay healthy. Still need to add depth. On the o-line, I think this year has shown that we had more of a coaching/scheme problem than a talent problem. Having said that, there is no such thing as too much quality o-line depth. Guys get hurt.

I am more concerned with LB, DE, and safety. We lack a really good coverage LB who is also at least somewhat effective against the run. In the modern NFL that seems like a must have. I am becoming more concerned that Shaq may never return to his old form. I like Zaire and EJ Speed, but I think we need some help there.

I think we have a really solid d-line, but we saw first hand against the Cleveland Myles Garretts what a game wrecking DE can do. Kwity has become a really good 3 down DE, but will probably not be a consistent double digit sack guy. Odeyingbo has shown some ability to get to the QB, but he is not quite there yet. Ebukam is also solid, but not someone that strikes fear into opposing OCs. I realize finding one of these game wreckers probably requires a higher draft pick than the Colts will have, but it's fun to dream.

At safety, it seems like we are ok, but not great. I think a lot of us had high hopes for Cross, Blackmon, etc., but it seems like we still need help there.

The biggest thing we need is to get AR5 healthy and keep him that way. Kid showed some real promise and maturity.

36 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I never liked the Paye pick for WHAT Ballard was drafting him for. Paye was NEVER an ELITE or even upper tier pass rusher in college.  He was more of an edge setter that played hard. To expect a guy that had only 11.5 sacks NOT in one season but for his WHOLE college career to suddenly turn into a top level pass rusher in the NFL was a reach.

Not only did Ballard use a first rd pick on a SOLID but nowhere near game changing Paye but DOUBLED down with our 2nd rd pick and used it on Dayo who by the way had only 12 sacks his WHOLE college career. Dayo was also coming off an Achilles tear which is considered by most as a skill altering injury for a DE by robbing them of some speed and torque. Ballard made the choice anyway for ANOTHER solid type knowing that he would also have to sit out his rookie season. What?!

These are the type of decisions combined with some other head scratching moves over the YEARS that has put this team below .500 under Ballard's guidance. Say what you want about HOF gm Bill Polian but the man drafted HOFs or fringe type ones at the PREMIUM positions in both Buffalo and Indy while winning division titles and getting to SBs. 

All I see from Ballard after all these YEARS is polished talker trying to use the Polian template by building through the draft and being limited in FA only in Ballard's version there are too many JAG types ESPECIALLY at the positions needed to compete in today's NFL. If it's ALL about "RAS" scores, potential and low risk high reward types in FA then Ballard is your guy along with the ready made excuses by his fans on WHY this team continues to remain non relevant while other teams have flipped since Ballard has been at the helm in Indy.

One of my favorite GM’s has been John Lynch in SF I’ve liked the teams he has built. He is flexible in his decisions he’s not against spending money if need be on the right guy without putting the team in salary cap hell in the long run I’m not a fan so to speak but I like the way their team is built. I agree with you on Ballard he needs to go he’s to stuck in his ways and is not flexible at times when he needs to be. I haven’t like the pass rushers he’s drafted and we need a number 1 receiver. I don’t think Gilmore wanted to play for us anymore but he should have found a way. Irsay is way to loyal. 

• Like 2

i have been one of the peoples that have been wanting a true game changer at WR, but i have realized our defense is trash. We have to get a game changer at DE 1st before anything. If our offense can score over 20 points a game this year, the offense is not the issue at the moment. biggest needs is defense for sure right now and thats DE and secondary. Now if there isnt a game changing DE where we will be drafting the go ahead and draft the next best available player at defense. Our defense needs another Leonard (before he got hurt). We need a game changer on defense more then a game changer on offense. We already have Taylor, Pittman and Downs now. Will also have Richardson coming back to help create things. Right now all we have is Buckner on defense, and he gets double teamed every time. We can get a game changer at Wr, but at that point it will just be shootouts every game and we still lose because our defense is so bad and cant make stops.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

i have been one of the peoples that have been wanting a true game changer at WR, but i have realized our defense is trash. We have to get a game changer at DE 1st before anything. If our offense can score over 20 points a game this year, the offense is not the issue at the moment. biggest needs is defense for sure right now and thats DE and secondary. Now if there isnt a game changing DE where we will be drafting the go ahead and draft the next best available player at defense. Our defense needs another Leonard (before he got hurt). We need a game changer on defense more then a game changer on offense. We already have Taylor and Pittman. Will also have Richardson coming back to help create things. Right now all we have is Buckner on defense, and he gets double teamed every time. We can get a game changer at Wr, but at that point it will just be shootouts every game and we still lose because our defense is so bad and cant make stops.

Pitman and Taylor are not game changers. 

12 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Ive witnessed multiple games in there careers where they were game changers. Taylor-Pats game, Bills game etc. Pittman How many big time catches has he had to put us in scoring positions? So many times ive seen him Moss someone. He can be a game changer in ways you don't consider game changing but yes he has been a game changer in multiple games.

We cant just pigeon hole a position in the draft now.  No telling where we will draft for one thing, could be top 5 or make playoffs

CB wont do this but if he were gone and it were up to me i would consider one of the good QBs if they are on the board.  They could trade or move AR to WR or RB to salvage some production out of him

Could also use a CB, WR, or edge

Lots of directions we could go and its way too soon to say what the best route will be when we are picking

8 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

We cant just pigeon hole a position in the draft now.  No telling where we will draft for one thing, could be top 5 or make playoffs

CB wont do this but if he were gone and it were up to me i would consider one of the good QBs if they are on the board.  They could trade or move AR to WR or RB to salvage some production out of him

Lots of directions we could go and its way too soon to say what the best route will be when we are picking

nah at tthis point we ride with Richardson, and if he gets hurt again or just simply not good and we have a high pick after next year we try for a QB. Manning might be available that year :goodluck:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

Excellent.  A fresh, unbiased analysis.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

nah at tthis point we ride with Richardson

I dont expect that comment to be popular.  I think there are more conventional qbs in the draft that will be better or just more likely to last though.  If Ballard is still here(and he probably will be) he wont pull the trigger on that.  If a new regime had a top pick i could see it though 

AR could probably play RB

11 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont expect that comment to be popular.  I think there are more conventional qbs in the draft that will be better or just more likely to last though.  If Ballard is still here(and he probably will be) he wont pull the trigger on that.  If a new regime had a top pick i could see it though 

AR could probably play RB

Lot of hits taken by RB’s.  I dunno.

20 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

As of right now the major need is in the secondary, we need another legitimate CB. I will admit that I was SUPER hard on fries initially. Although his play isn’t elite by any means he is currently serviceable. 

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

That would be a terrible move. Why move him to another position if he plays QB? Why not trade back and gain draft capital or get a premier player at that pick? We have SEVERAL guys in expiring contracts, we don’t know if Pittman is returning, Moss or if they want to extend Kenny. I could be wrong but I do believe Grover is also do for another contract as well as Buckner. You have to think about drafting replacements and upgrades as well. 

Right Guard is not a problem.  Is it fixed?  Idk maybe, but fries is solid.  The problem with the line (which has actually played good for the most part) is that Nelson and Smith need to play up to their contracts.

but I agree about everything else.  A TRUE WR1, an every down DE, and another corner is needed.  My hope for this upcoming FA:

WR1:  draft one.  Looks like we’re out of the MHJ sweepstakes but there are multiple first round grades WRs in this draft

DE:  sign chase young.  He wants to test FA.  Ok, offer him the biggest bag for a DE ever.  If he turns it down, it’s because he’s ring chasing.

CB:  draft one.  Like WR, there are multiple first round graded CBs in this draft.  If we’re able to grab one, I think a starting lineup of Brents, the drafted CB, and Moore is ok.  With flowers and jones filling out the rest of the depth chart.  

honorable mention:  we need a FS also.  I think Blackmon is good at SS, but Thomas isn’t it at FS.  Idk who we could go sign or draft, but an upgrade is needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Taylor is a game changer, he's just overpaid. Pittman really isn't most of the time. He's a ball hog that has dependable hands and can run routes (which is still good, but he'll be overpaid if we pay him $25 million a year). Solid players that I'd like to keep that can be game changers, but just overpaid or will be.

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

I'm hoping we can draft Kool-Aid McKinistry in the draft this year. Very solid CB and could make an elite 1/2 with JuJu Brents and Moore in the slot. I think we could get him around the 10-12 range, so it'd be close. However, QBs will be drafted high, so he may fall to us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

nah at tthis point we ride with Richardson, and if he gets hurt again or just simply not good and we have a high pick after next year we try for a QB. Manning might be available that year :goodluck:

I agree we ride with Richardson. Build around him in the draft. Let other teams take a QB early and have the talent fall to us. If we pick in the 10-15 range, we may be able to get a top 8 non-QB player while just staying put. 

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Great post! I completely agree with this. Ballard does the "Madden" strategy where he signs low-end FAs and builds through the draft. He'll look at RAS and athletic scores (which is the equivalent of looking at the combine and pro day on Madden to get the players with better athletic traits), and draft the best of those players that also have "good character". The difference is, those players aren't always good football players and don't always work out, where on Madden, I can generally make those players work out over time by training and playing them in games even if they aren't immediate hits. 

We all fawn over the RAS scores during the draft every year, but the sad truth is a lot of these players are raw and never work out. Ballard always goes for the "Home Run", but it's actually hindered this team more than helped. It seems good in theory, but I'm finally starting to lean to the side where I'd rather have players who know how to play football. That should be the no1 priority. This team just isn't working out with him as GM, and even if you want to count AR for him, that's fine, the rest of the team is very poor for a GM that's been in charge since 2017. 

We need some premium positions in the first few rounds this year. WR, CB, EDGE. I'd trade down in the 1st if possible and grab an extra 2nd or 3rd as well. That's what this draft should be dedicated too. Get some NFL ready players that can wreck havoc for this team. If they have great traits and athleticism, that's fine too, just make sure they aren't raw where they aren't figuring out the game for 2-3 years. I'm tired of the delayed gratification that never works out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

Why move him to another position if he plays QB?

Not convinced he will actually be able to stay healthy and there are some qbs i like in the draft.  I wouldnt even tell AR to stop running either, its what makes him good.  He wouldnt have been a top 5 pick if he wasnt a great runner

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

You have to think about drafting replacements and upgrades as well. 

I would think about that for a QB who got hurt like 4 times in 5 games too.  Would have rather had Maye or Williams all along over AR tbh, and i do like Anthony.  Just not my first choice 

I think a game changing DE or a pass rushing specialist would be the best thing for the team, but I doubt they will be there. Jared Verse seems to be the only one to fit that bill. I think it will come down to BPA and that would still land us a WR or CB. My bets are on either Kool-Aid McKinstry or Rome Odunze. I'd be happy with either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

Right Guard is not a problem.  Is it fixed?  Idk maybe, but fries is solid.  The problem with the line (which has actually played good for the most part) is that Nelson and Smith need to play up to their contracts.

but I agree about everything else.  A TRUE WR1, an every down DE, and another corner is needed.  My hope for this upcoming FA:

WR1:  draft one.  Looks like we’re out of the MHJ sweepstakes but there are multiple first round grades WRs in this draft

DE:  sign chase young.  He wants to test FA.  Ok, offer him the biggest bag for a DE ever.  If he turns it down, it’s because he’s ring chasing.

CB:  draft one.  Like WR, there are multiple first round graded CBs in this draft.  If we’re able to grab one, I think a starting lineup of Brents, the drafted CB, and Moore is ok.  With flowers and jones filling out the rest of the depth chart.  

honorable mention:  we need a FS also.  I think Blackmon is good at SS, but Thomas isn’t it at FS.  Idk who we could go sign or draft, but an upgrade is needed.

What’s going on with Nick Cross?