Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Major upgrade needed

indyagent17

10 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The Colts have to add depth at DT one way or another even if they re-sign Grover.  

Somewhere in the draft a LB needs to be added. I can’t see Leonard back at that price. 

Absolutely agree on these 2 points 

Without Grover we are getting gashed.......

AND........

I love the old Leonard..... he brought an amazing energy to the team

I HOPE that the old Leonard comes back.......  The "odds" say that he wont

A 60% Leonard cant be paid at the same level as 100% Leonard

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 10:08 AM, Tsarquise said:

Taylor is too dependent on the Oline to be considered a true game changer, imo. But I do think he is closer to this than Pittman. 

Pittman is way too inconsistent in his play in general to be considered a game changer. 

Interesting post

Taylor is STILL looking into 8 man boxes because no one fears our WRs or our QBs arm

Pittman is a very good WR2

Taylor is an excellent RB

With health at OL and QB

AND an actual game changing WR1......  Taylor will look like a super star again

AND.....

Even Pittman will have a better year, as he wouldn't be the focal point on the receiving team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Major upgrade" time doesn't begin until free agency in March 2024 - and - the 2024 NFL Draft - until then the team plays with the players that they have.

Don't forget - there were a plethora of issues with the cornerback position that NO ONE could have seen coming.

Michael Pittman Jr is clearly our #1 wide receiver.  We'll see if that remains the case when the season is over.

25 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Always could but there has been a large drop off from Kelly to French.

True, am sure they are scouting those too in the draft. First round centers, ROI is pretty good based on history but then we had our best one Jeff Saturday, undrafted. If the scouting is good for a system fit and the talent is there, no reason Ballard and company can't get a competent one in Rounds 4 or 5. I do think we have the tackles squared away with the Freeland pick for swing tackle in the case of an injury. I do think the interior will get the quality depth attention and addition on Day 3 of the draft, IMO.

As I see it today, in this upcoming draft;

#1 priority is an Elite Edge Rusher (Get this right and this D leaps forward)

+ The defense needs more depth at CB, LB & NT.  (I see Brents, Flowers & Moore as legit starters)

#2 priority is an Elite WR #1 (If Pierce leaps forward, this will just make them truly rich at WR)

+ The offense needs more O-Line talent. (I could write paragraphs here, but won't)

An on a side note; QB-2 & QB-3 should have play style similarities to QB-1 (IMHO).

24 minutes ago, Douzer said:

+ The defense needs more depth at CB, LB & NT.  (I see Brents, Flowers & Moore as legit starters)

#2 priority is an Elite WR #1 (If Pierce leaps forward, this will just make them truly rich at WR)

+ The offense needs more O-Line talent. (I could write paragraphs here, but won't)

An on a side note; QB-2 & QB-3 should have play style similarities to QB-1 (IMHO).

Might have to find that DE in free agency. Worth a splurge if for the right guy. 

18 hours ago, Douzer said:

Yes Corner is all about depth for me. We’ve seen really great rookie performances from Jones and Brent’s. We just need quality depth behind them and some of that can come from FA. 

On 11/10/2023 at 9:19 AM, BlackTiger said:

Funny i got several laugh reacts on my comments on AR.  Guess I would have rather had Maye or Williams over him all along and would still draft them now

The AR to running back comment wasnt that serious 

It’s very easy to be enticed by the shiny new toy every year. That’s what a lot of teams who have solid QBs or young guys with upside do. They always think the guys coming out in the draft are better and then are surprised when they don’t work out. Richardson just needs to learn to avoid unnecessary contact and he’ll be fine. He’s also a better leader and teammate than Williams who is a giant red flag to me.

23 hours ago, chad72 said:

Given Ballard's history of RYS and Brents at the Top of Round 2, I think he sticks with that again.

He starts off with a quality WR prospect for the outside, then CB in Round 2, then if he drops down, say in Round 1, to gain a 3rd rounder, it would be nice to double dip on the WR front to get another slot route runner like Amon Ra Brown (that is Ladd McKonkey of Georgia for me, he has a knack for getting open, high catch rate, like Josh Downs) type to go with Josh Downs and get the defenders on skates. Just need to add a pick on Day 2, and get a quality LB to replace Leonard.

DT and OL needs seasoning, so if the price is right, get a quality DT to spell Stewart/Buckner in FA to give us options. Then like always, draft depth for OL in Round 4 and go with best value as you go further.

For me I’m only going CB in round 2 if there’s an elite prospect there because I believe we have our starters for the future. We just need depth.

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s very easy to be enticed by the shiny new toy every year. That’s what a lot of teams who have solid QBs or young guys with upside do. They always think the guys coming out in the draft are better and then are surprised when they don’t work out. Richardson just needs to learn to avoid unnecessary contact and he’ll be fine. He’s also a better leader and teammate than Williams who is a giant red flag to me.

For me I’m only going CB in round 2 if there’s an elite prospect there because I believe we have our starters for the future. We just need depth.

Richardson was never my first choice.  He was always a high risk pick and going out after 5 games shows the risk is still very high now.  I would have picked Maye or Williams over him all along and still would now tbh

Even if he didnt get hurt, AR would still have a ways to go as a passer.  If he doesnt run then hes really nothing special.  He could still be a good qb but the risk is high 

21 hours ago, Douzer said:

Looking at the draft, who is the elite "blue chip" edge that be there at 14-18?

There are some "good" ones , but I dont see a rookie that is better than what we already have at DE

There are actual blue chip WRs and CBs that should be available in that range?

We REALLY need to add game changers from round 1

Thats my 2 cents......  not worth 1 cent  :)