Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Major upgrade needed

indyagent17

Man this is like reading another Ballard grievance thread. I agree that we need help in some positions but don't agree with some of the positions mentioned. First I think Fries has played quite well the later part of last year and definitely this year. Hardly a game this year has he had the same two guys playing on either side of him. Between Smith and Kelly, they both have missed a lot of time and Smith was not effective when he played this year.

As far as the DEs. I don't think they are that bad playing in Gus's D. We hardly ever blitz so it's 5 OL vs 4 DL. So far Paye has 3.5 sacks and 13TFL, Ebukam has 4 sacks and 22 TFL, Dayo in a more limited time has 3 sacks and 11 TFL and Buckner with very limited time at DE and most time at DT has 5 sacks and 21 TFL. I truly believe if we blitzed more and our corners covered better you would see more pressure from the outside.

I think our weakest positions is corner and WR and depth along the OL. Would very much like to see us pick up a WR with speed in RD1 and fill in the rest in the draft and FA.  LB concerns me the way Lenard is playing but a possibility of freeing a huge chunk of cash if he doesn't play better by year end. If Richardson comes back and plays well I don't think we are that far off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Not convinced he will actually be able to stay healthy and there are some qbs i like in the draft.  I wouldnt even tell AR to stop running either, its what makes him good.  He wouldnt have been a top 5 pick if he wasnt a great runner

If you aren’t convinced he will still healthy you want to move him to another position where he is sure to take far more punishing hits? That seems extremely counter productive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

If you aren’t convinced he will still healthy you want to move him to another position where he is sure to take far more punishing hits?

A backup RB going out wouldn't hurt the team like losing a starting QB would.  I dont expect him to actually move to RB and be a starter, but in my hypothetical he could play it to salvage some production out of him.  We might lose Moss in the off season, if he stays then there wouldnt be many snaps for AR there

He probably doesnt have the experience to be a starting WR but they might be able to get something out of him there too.  In reality hes going to be the qb next year unless Jim clears house and we have a high pick.  He is fun to watch and I like our chances to win when hes in the game ftr.

1 minute ago, hoosierhawk said:

Man this is like reading another Ballard grievance thread. I agree that we need help in some positions but don't agree with some of the positions mentioned. First I think Fries has played quite well the later part of last year and definitely this year. Hardly a game this year has he had the same two guys playing on either side of him. Between Smith and Kelly, they both have missed a lot of time and Smith was not effective when he played this year.

As far as the DEs. I don't think they are that bad playing in Gus's D. We hardly ever blitz so it's 5 OL vs 4 DL. So far Paye has 3.5 sacks and 13TFL, Ebukam has 4 sacks and 22 TFL, Dayo in a more limited time has 3 sacks and 11 TFL and Buckner with very limited time at DE and most time at DT has 5 sacks and 21 TFL. I truly believe if we blitzed more and our corners covered better you would see more pressure from the outside.

I think our weakest positions is corner and WR and depth along the OL. Would very much like to see us pick up a WR with speed in RD1 and fill in the rest in the draft and FA.  LB concerns me the way Lenard is playing but a possibility of freeing a huge chunk of cash if he doesn't play better by year end. If Richardson comes back and plays well I don't think we are that far off.

So I take it that you believe Chris Ballard is a top gm and that he has built a very talented team even though his RECORD doesn't reflect that after YEARS of being on the job. It's becoming almost laughable at this point with the "we're not that far off" narrative when in all actuality we're CLOSER to the cellar in our OWN division as the Jags have come up and now the Texans seem to be on the right path that I don’t think will take 8 yrs!

This is not even INCLUDING the afc teams like the Dolphins, Bengals, Browns, Chargers and Bills who have come up during Ballard's tenure. Or winning teams like the Ravens and Chiefs who got aggressive by moving up in the draft to snag their guy at qb . Here we are talking about the SAME positions of need on a YEARLY basis with Ballard but this is a grievance thread in your view. Lol Funny how nationally the sport's world thinks that the Colts don't have enough PLAYMAKERS at the positions that matter to CONTEND but on THIS forum there are some who believe that Ballard is all world based on his "PHANTOM" success.

You can keep on drinking his Kool-aid and using the snake oil that he's selling that's your prerogative not mine. At the end of the day Tobin, Polian and even the lackluster Grigson ALL had better winning percentages with Colt teams that saw at least ONE conference championship game. I know look at their qbs you'll say but guess what? Ballard had the SAME option to snag a young qb after Luck's departure but CHOSE guys like Scott Tolzien, Brian Hoyer, Brissett, Eason, a washed Ryan, Wentz and Rivers (who actually was decent in his only season) Lord forbid that Minshew gets hurt or we'll have his other qb reach in the subpar Sam Ehlinger who Shannon Sharpe said couldn't play dead in a horror movie! Wow

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

So I take it that you believe Chris Ballard is a top gm and that he has built a very talented team even though his RECORD doesn't reflect that after YEARS of being on the job. It's becoming almost laughable at this point with the "we're not that far off" narrative when in all actuality we're CLOSER to the cellar in our OWN division as the Jags have come up and now the Texans seem to be on the right path that I don’t think will take 8 yrs!

This is not even INCLUDING the afc teams like the Dolphins, Bengals, Browns, Chargers and Bills who have come up during Ballard's tenure. Or winning teams like the Ravens and Chiefs who got aggressive by moving up in the draft to snag their guy at qb . Here we are talking about the SAME positions of need on a YEARLY basis with Ballard but this is a grievance thread in your view. Lol Funny how nationally the sport's world thinks that the Colts don't have enough PLAYMAKERS at the positions that matter to CONTEND but on THIS forum there are some who believe that Ballard is all world based on his "PHANTOM" success.

You can keep on drinking his Kool-aid and using the snake oil that he's selling that's your prerogative not mine. At the end of the day Tobin, Polian and even the lackluster Grigson ALL had better winning percentages with Colt teams that saw at least ONE conference championship game. I know look at their qbs you'll say but guess what? Ballard had the SAME option to snag a young qb after Luck's departure but CHOSE guys like Scott Tolzien, Brian Hoyer, Brissett, Eason, a washed Ryan, Wentz and Rivers (who actually was decent in his only season) Lord forbid that Minshew gets hurt or we'll have his other qb reach in the subpar Sam Ehlinger who Shannon Sharpe said couldn't play dead in a horror movie! Wow

I will keep drinking the kool-aid and using the snake oil before I start drinking your poison and accepting the constant degrading of our team,s FO, Coaches and, to use your words, the marginal players we have on our team. Just not wanting to lower myself to that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

So are you suggesting that Gus needs to blitz more even though he is stubborn to a fault with his OUTDATED system? That's been my point on various threads. Either Gus has to ADAPT and be flexible with his scheme or Ballard needs to get some ELITE defensive ends to make it work because we have no consistent pass rush ESPECIALLY with a game on the line. It's been THREE games in a row that an opposing qb has completed an over 30 yd pass play on 3rd and long. What's funny is that it doesn't surprise me because Gus is a mediocre dc at best utilizing some meh type players and it's just not good enough.

10 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I will keep drinking the kool-aid and using the snake oil before I start drinking your poison and accepting the constant degrading of our team,s FO, Coaches and, to use your words, the marginal players we have on our team. Just not wanting to lower myself to that.

I'm NOT going to let you do that. I've GONE to most of the Colts games since they have arrived in Indy as a season ticket holder for years until recently. I have a Colts mancave that gets many jaw drops and attend training camp EVERY season. My comments were DIRECTLY to you because every time there's a discussion about the talent level under Ballard and whether it's up to par or not you give the sad emoji like he has the Colts as a perennial contender! I have SEEN greatness with this franchise before and simply want a return to glory. 

I will be the FIRST to praise Ballard if he gets the team where they need to be and right now it's not good enough after being on the job for YEARS. I"m not spitting poison if I say Ballard is under .500! I'm not spitting poison if I say we're last in the division after coming in next to last a season ago and have had minimal success under Chris. If I list some of the failed qbs that directly impacted this team it would partly explain Ballard's record. If the Colts are ranked bottom tier defensively then which is it the players or the dc that Ballard personally handpicked after Ebs departed instead of allowing the hc to choose his staff? Not for certain but I believe Reich would've chosen Jim Schwartz as dc ( who now runs the Browns top defense) because of their Philly ties on that SB run.

I could go on but like I said I think Ballard has finally gotten the hc / qb combo right and that's a start but I'm not praising him for lackluster results when other gms have done a better job in the same time frame. I've already listed the AFC teams that have risen under the Ballard tenure and in the NFC the Niners, Eagles, Rams, Tampa and now the Lions to name a few. I understand though if you like the guy ignore the facts and chalk it up as not true or trolling but trust me there are many complaing about Ballard on Sundays at the Luke.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Our pass protection is not solid and Fries is decent but he is more of a backup. Our blocking run game needs to get better too. I think too many people think he’s good because we’re settling for him. This is not a good season in our  line is not that good overall 

On 11/8/2023 at 7:17 AM, lollygagger8 said:

DE / Pass rusher is #1 

I hate to say it, but Ballard has yet to draft a great one. 

You are 100% accurate

I agree......

I just dont see a blue chip DE in THIS class

It would be a great sin for a reach to happen, to draft a DE that isnt a game changer

I DO see blue chip WRs and CBs available in middle of round 1

What is the solution, for this year?

Draft a developing DE in mid to later rounds (The bit too short, or bit too light guy) that has speed

AND (Very important)

Since we are getting extremely close to fielding a competitive team........ it may be time to "buy" the DE slot from FA

We have our QB of the future.... low cap hit

We have our LT of the future....  low cap hit

The missing link is stud DE

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

You are 100% accurate

I agree......

It would be a great sin for a reach to happen, to draft a DE that isnt a game changer

Draft a developing DE in mid to later rounds (The bit too short, or bit too light guy) that has speed

AND (Very important)

Since we are getting extremely close to fielding a competitive team........ it may be time to "buy" the DE slot from FA

I agree. It’s hit or miss with DE. Get a known quantity and pay them. Having a real pass rush would make a huge difference. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Very well written and spot on with your view.  The Colts have a bright future and the AFC South will be a juggernaut in years to come. Ballard has done a fine job and ever organization has it's Nay Sayers for sure. 

WR, OL and DB are  a must come next year. 

I also like to see a TE that actually stays healthy and produce every Sunday. 

On 11/8/2023 at 11:03 AM, tweezy32 said:

Ive witnessed multiple games in there careers where they were game changers. Taylor-Pats game, Bills game etc. Pittman How many big time catches has he had to put us in scoring positions? So many times ive seen him Moss someone. He can be a game changer in ways you don't consider game changing but yes he has been a game changer in multiple games.

I guess it all depends on how you define game changing. 

If a player ever makes a big play they're game changing? How often have they done this?

I don't think either makes big time plays consistently enough to be considered a game changer. Especially not Pitman. 

Taylor is too dependent on the Oline to be considered a true game changer, imo. But I do think he is closer to this than Pittman. 

Pittman is way too inconsistent in his play in general to be considered a game changer. 

17 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

So are you suggesting that Gus needs to blitz more even though he is stubborn to a fault with his OUTDATED system? That's been my point on various threads. Either Gus has to ADAPT and be flexible with his scheme or Ballard needs to get some ELITE defensive ends to make it work because we have no consistent pass rush ESPECIALLY with a game on the line. It's been THREE games in a row that an opposing qb has completed an over 30 yd pass play on 3rd and long. What's funny is that it doesn't surprise me because Gus is a mediocre dc at best utilizing some meh type players and it's just not good enough.

Let me ask. Do you watch the All 22’s or do you just assume that Bradley is in the same coverage all game?

22 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

You are 100% accurate

I agree......

AND (Very important)

I agree.  We may have a need at this position or that, but I'd rather not use a 1st round pick on a "pretty good" player at a position of need.  We already did that.  (see: Kwity Paye).  I'd rather choose and exceptional player, regardless of position.

As you say, we may have exceptional WR's and CB's in the middle of the first round, and I'd rather aim for one of those.  

• Like 2

On 11/8/2023 at 6:17 AM, lollygagger8 said:

DE / Pass rusher is #1 

I hate to say it, but Ballard has yet to draft a great one. 

I wonder how the decisions are being made? Who's pounding the table for these players, and who is picking the lesser of evils? If Ballard is driving this bus, he needs a better rubric (evaluation criteria). Hopefully, he's not using gut feelings.

A major upgrade is needed, but I don’t think it’s at the positions the OP mentioned. When I watch the games on Sunday there’s two positions that jump out to me as being in need of a major upgrade: WR and CB

This team does not have a vertical receiver that stresses the opposing defense. We don’t have a guy who like Jamar chase says is “always ****** open”. We don’t have a guy who forces either a double team or the team’s top corner to follow them. This team needs a true Alpha mentality, X receiver. Downs is fine and will continue to develop into an a elite slot receiver, but he needs a 1A to his 1B.

The other is DE. Much like WR, we don’t have that alpha guy who can win his one-on-one matchup. We have guys that get sacks in bunches. Like Dayo has 3, Ebukum has 4, and Kwity has 3.5. For comparison, Maxx Crosby has 9.5 by himself. I’m not sure if besides Latu and maybe Verse, the draft has those type of guys. 

Corner is fine and that’s coming from a guy who was saying that we needed corners after the first 4 games. But Brent’s has been outstanding when he’s been on the field and Jones has too. I’m more confident rolling the dice with them in 2024 than I was with Flowers and Rodgers (never liked that decision). However I’d still draft a corner In rounds 3-4 for depth and competition, but this draft will be deep at corner. So if a guy like TJ Tampa is there in the 2nd, I’m not letting Jones stop me from drafting him. Same thing first round. If guys like Coleman, Odunze, Nabers, or Verse are gone I’d still draft Kool-Aid or Nate Wiggins. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:56 AM, Defjamz26 said:

A major upgrade is needed, but I don’t think it’s at the positions the OP mentioned. When I watch the games on Sunday there’s two positions that jump out to me as being in need of a major upgrade: WR and CB

This team does not have a vertical receiver that stresses the opposing defense. We don’t have a guy who like Jamar chase says is “always ****** open”. We don’t have a guy who forces either a double team or the team’s top corner to follow them. This team needs a true Alpha mentality, X receiver. Downs is fine and will continue to develop into an a elite slot receiver, but he needs a 1A to his 1B.

The other is DE. Much like WR, we don’t have that alpha guy who can win his one-on-one matchup. We have guys that get sacks in bunches. Like Dayo has 3, Ebukum has 4, and Kwity has 3.5. For comparison, Maxx Crosby has 9.5 by himself. I’m not sure if besides Latu and maybe Verse, the draft has those type of guys. 

Corner is fine and that’s coming from a guy who was saying that we needed corners after the first 4 games. But Brent’s has been outstanding when he’s been on the field and Jones has too. I’m more confident rolling the dice with them in 2024 than I was with Flowers and Rodgers (never liked that decision). However I’d still draft a corner In rounds 3-4 for depth and competition, but this draft will be deep at corner. So if a guy like TJ Tampa is there in the 2nd, I’m not letting Jones stop me from drafting him. Same thing first round. If guys like Coleman, Odunze, Nabers, or Verse are gone I’d still draft Kool-Aid or Nate Wiggins. 

I would tend to agree

A WR that the defense fears, creates openings all over the field 

The FS HAS to be paying attention to the guy who can take the top off.

The underneath should be more open for intermediate and short routes 

AND

The RBs should also have a bit more room to run

A Stud WR makes the whole offense run better and there are 4-5 in this draft

In regards to defense

We are in a pass happy league

Round 2 can yield that CB that is a bit bigger but cant run a 4.3.

If we can cover a second or two longer, the sacks will go up

This draft is lining up where we could get a stud WR in round 1 

A CB in round 2

A FS in round 3

All could start next year

Get our DE in FA

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would tend to agree

A WR that the defense fears, creates openings all over the field 

The FS HAS to be paying attention to the guy who can take the top off.

The underneath should be more open for intermediate and short routes 

AND

The RBs should also have a bit more room to run

A Stud WR makes the whole offense run better and there are 4-5 in this draft

In regards to defense

We are in a pass happy league

Round 2 can yield that CB that is a bit bigger but cant run a 4.3.

If we can cover a second or two longer, the sacks will go up

This draft is lining up where we could get a stud WR in round 1 

A CB in round 2

A FS in round 3

All could start next year

Get our DE in FA

Yeah a real WR1 changes the game in so many different ways. The way teams are playing us now is a big slap in the face. They aren’t worried about anything deep and have all of their defenders playing underneath and then they stack the box. But if you put Rome Odunze on this team, imagine how good Downs could really be? He’s creating separation easily on his own, but with a legit number 1, it would back one of the safeties up.

Idk about a DE in FA. Only guy that would be a potential game changer is Brian Burns but Panthers may not let him walk. Maybe  Chase Young if he balls out with the 49ers. I’d still draft one 2nd or 3rd round. 

No matter what, I’d draft a corner though. Maybe 3rd or 4th round. Depth and competition.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah a real WR1 changes the game in so many different ways. The way teams are playing us now is a big slap in the face. They aren’t worried about anything deep and have all of their defenders playing underneath and then they stack the box. But if you put Rome Odunze on this team, imagine how good Downs could really be? He’s creating separation easily on his own, but with a legit number 1, it would back one of the safeties up.

Idk about a DE in FA. Only guy that would be a potential game changer is Brian Burns but Panthers may not let him walk. Maybe  Chase Young if he balls out with the 49ers. I’d still draft one 2nd or 3rd round. 

No matter what, I’d draft a corner though. Maybe 3rd or 4th round. Depth and competition.

Given Ballard's history of RYS and Brents at the Top of Round 2, I think he sticks with that again.

He starts off with a quality WR prospect for the outside, then CB in Round 2, then if he drops down, say in Round 1, to gain a 3rd rounder, it would be nice to double dip on the WR front to get another slot route runner like Amon Ra Brown (that is Ladd McKonkey of Georgia for me, he has a knack for getting open, high catch rate, like Josh Downs) type to go with Josh Downs and get the defenders on skates. Just need to add a pick on Day 2, and get a quality LB to replace Leonard.

DT and OL needs seasoning, so if the price is right, get a quality DT to spell Stewart/Buckner in FA to give us options. Then like always, draft depth for OL in Round 4 and go with best value as you go further.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Given Ballard's history of RYS and Brents at the Top of Round 2, I think he sticks with that again.

He starts off with a quality WR prospect for the outside, then CB in Round 2, then if he drops down, say in Round 1, to gain a 3rd rounder, it would be nice to double dip on the WR front to get another slot route runner like Amon Ra Brown (that is Ladd McKonkey of Georgia for me, he has a knack for getting open, high catch rate, like Josh Downs) type to go with Josh Downs and get the defenders on skates. Just need to add a pick on Day 2, and get a quality LB to replace Leonard.

DT and OL needs seasoning, so if the price is right, get a quality DT to spell Stewart/Buckner in FA to give us options. Then like always, draft depth for OL in Round 4 and go with best value as you go further.

I might get lynched for this, but I think we should draft a DE or DT round 1. :peek:

WR or CB round 2.

ILB round 3.

Safety (FS specifically) round 4.

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I might get lynched for this, but I think we should draft a DE or DT round 1. :peek:

WR or CB round 2.

ILB round 3.

Safety (FS specifically) round 4.

The value for the DT would have to be so high that he is Pro ready, not a wise move typically. Ndamokung Suh was a pass rushing interior prospect, that is why he went so high but NFL OL are a different type to handle. DTs take a lot of seasoning, to go against NFL caliber OL, so ROI will take time. We don't want more delayed gratification, do we? DEs, Ballard has to give his existing DE draft picks and passing situation rushers signed to start making bigger impact. DEs also take a big of time unless you already have stellar rushers and they are brought along slowly. You have to be at the Top 5 to get guys like Bosas, Youngs etc.

Given our position in the teens, the greatest impact on our roster will be from a marquee CB or WR in Round 1, no doubt in my mind. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The value for the DT would have to be so high that he is Pro ready, not a wise move typically. Ndamokung Suh was a pass rushing interior prospect, that is why he went so high but NFL OL are a different type to handle. DTs take a lot of seasoning, to go against NFL caliber OL, so ROI will take time. We don't want more delayed gratification, do we? DEs, Ballard has to give his existing DE draft picks and passing situation rushers signed to start making bigger impact. DEs also take a big of time unless you already have stellar rushers and they are brought along slowly. You have to be at the Top 5 to get guys like Bosas, Youngs etc.

Given our position in the teens, the greatest impact on our roster will be from a marquee CB or WR in Round 1, no doubt in my mind. 

That's probably true.

I'd also be more interested in signing a proven passrusher at this point - I feel Ballard has failed enough at that position. 

7 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

That's probably true.

I'd also be more interested in signing a proven passrusher at this point - I Ballard has failed enough at that position. 

At this point, I'd rather Ballard sign a DE or DT in FA. I agree.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I had a thought - could we be looking for a Center in the draft or FA this offseason? I think Kelly is seriuosly considering retirement if he got another concussion against the Pats.

French filled in decently a while ago, so hoping with another year of NFL experience under his belt, he can step up??

We finally had French Fries playing next to each other. 😃

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Look out for Dallas Turner if he were to be available.  

The Colts have to add depth at DT one way or another even if they re-sign Grover.  

Somewhere in the draft a LB needs to be added. I can’t see Leonard back at that price. 

The guy is a stud, but isnt big enough to hold the edge in a base 4-3 

I think he will excel in a 3-4  rush LB in the NFL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I had a thought - could we be looking for a Center in the draft or FA this offseason? I think Kelly is seriuosly considering retirement if he got another concussion against the Pats.

Many centers in the league are round 3-5

We should add this year, and groom the guy to replace Kelly

• Like 2