Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you have an unpopular opinion about the Colts? If so, what is it?

AKB

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I've always admired the Baltimore fans that chose to stick with the Colts.   When I was a kid my dad and I sat in a half empty stadium in the Hoosier dome.  We had season tickets and never sat in our seats because there were better seats unfilled.  Indiana didn't really embrace colts football until the 94 run with Harbaugh.   Then Peyton brought the masses.   When were winning,  we love them,  when they aren't we have better things to do.   It's the same with every team in Indiana except Notre Dame football and Indiana basketball.   Fandom here is nothing like a lot of great sports towns.   Look at the Browns fans, so much disappointment yet they are as rabid as they come.   Oh well,   I'll root for my team win or lose

I see your point. I also see the side that sports teams are entertainment and if a team is consistently putting out a bad or boring product it’s ok not to support that. If I watch a tv show for a few episodes and it stinks I’ll quit watching. It’s literally the Colts’ job to win and entertain. Having said that, I watch when the Colts are great or terrible and I get new Horseshoe gear as gifts every Christmas and wear with pride. All fans are different. 

3 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I see your point. I also see the side that sports teams are entertainment and if a team is consistently putting out a bad or boring product it’s ok not to support that. If I watch a tv show for a few episodes and it stinks I’ll quit watching. It’s literally the Colts’ job to win and entertain. Having said that, I watch when the Colts are great or terrible and I get new Horseshoe gear as gifts every Christmas and wear with pride. All fans are different. 

Tell that to browns fans.   

On 11/2/2023 at 8:13 PM, jvan1973 said:

This will be an unpopular take.   The Colts have a terrible fan base.  A bunch of entitled punks hanging onto the Manning dominance and the transfer to Luck.   Very few true fans.  The hold over Baltimore fans are the real heros.  I'm not even one of them, but those folks know true adversity as a fan.   Indy fans have been spoiled.   

I feel you.  In fact, I authored that infamous post back in 2008 "We Are Spoiled Beyond Belief" when we had that slow start due to Manning's knee issue during the off-season.  I got a lot push back for speaking the truth.  

My earliest Colts memory goes back to the 1976 playoffs against the hated Steelers when that * pilot crashed his plane into Memorial Stadium.  If the Colts would've won that game, dozens of fans would've been killed - in a weird way, it's good the Colts got blown out as most fans had already left.

I also remember the 1977 finale against the Pats that won us the division - an incredible comeback marred with controversy on the Bert Jones "non-fumble".

Everything turned to crap in 1978 and beyond.  I'm curious how the Pats fans are taking things.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

Colts will win in Germany

Believe Make Up GIF by Hunters

Colts beating the Patriots always puts the season at a minor success. That's all we had two years ago and I was content with it for the most part 

• Thanks 1

Well. Since I’m in the mood.  I’ll list all of them over the years.

erik Walden was a good signing. 

Lucks oline is not the main reason he’s getting killed

philp Dorset was the proper pick at 30   At the time.

Don’t pick a one dimensional free safety at pick 15

Taking a g at pick 6 is an inefficient use of capital  

oline play is generally determined by the level of talent at left tackle 

The problem with the offense is that it hasn’t had a wr opposite TY. It’s not really the oline. 

Hines is ineffective as a runner.  Why is he even here?  Later. That became a popular opinion 

I can’t really think of too many since 2020 that didn’t also have others sharing the same opinion 

On 11/2/2023 at 6:13 PM, jvan1973 said:

This will be an unpopular take.   The Colts have a terrible fan base.  A bunch of entitled punks hanging onto the Manning dominance and the transfer to Luck.   Very few true fans.  The hold over Baltimore fans are the real heros.  I'm not even one of them, but those folks know true adversity as a fan.   Indy fans have been spoiled.   

At first I was * at your comment, but the more I thought about it, I think you're correct.  I do want to make the point that criticizing your team doesn't mean that you're not a true fan.  I have family in Steelers country, and the criticism they give their team is completely mild compared to what we see with fans of the Colts, even when they're winning .  That being said, they support their Steelers no matter what, their games are always sold out, they travel well, watch every season, etc.  I remember back in the early 90s when I learned football and became a fan, the Colts were either average or very bad.  No one cared about the Colts...Then came the Colts miracle run to the AFC Championship game with Harbaugh, and suddenly everyone in central Indiana was a Colts fan!  The next couple of years, not so much. Most people didn't care.  A lot of the "fans" that were so excited about the AFC Championship run were now saying that they didn't care if Irsay moved the team to LA or wherever else. "The Colts suck.  Who cares about the Colts, you losers?"

Then Peyton came.  During his second season when they were winning again, Indy was now a football town once again and had a ton of die hard Colts "fans"!  We got lucky again by drafting Luck, and now we are dealing with what most of the NFL has had to deal with after his retirement - mediocrity.  I know a lot of "fans" that have barely watched one game in a couple of years because we've sucked, but when things get turned around, they'll be back and act like they were always on board.  Indy is a fairweather professional sports town.  It's been that way with both the Pacers and the Colts.  Just the way it is.  

I think most of the people in this board are "true fans".  Bandwagon fans typically aren't reading message boards about the team because they don't care either way.  So I don't think that someone being critical of the team means they aren't a true fan.  I'm not saying that's what you said, but just wanted to make that point .  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

At first I was * at your comment, but the more I thought about it, I think you're correct.  I do want to make the point that criticizing your team doesn't mean that you're not a true fan.  I have family in Steelers country, and the criticism they give their team is completely mild compared to what we see with fans of the Colts, even when they're winning .  That being said, they support their Steelers no matter what, their games are always sold out, they travel well, watch every season, etc.  I remember back in the early 90s when I learned football and became a fan, the Colts were either average or very bad.  No one cared about the Colts...Then came the Colts miracle run to the AFC Championship game with Harbaugh, and suddenly everyone in central Indiana was a Colts fan!  The next couple of years, not so much. Most people didn't care.  A lot of the "fans" that were so excited about the AFC Championship run were now saying that they didn't care if Irsay moved the team to LA or wherever else. "The Colts suck.  Who cares about the Colts, you losers?"

Then Peyton came.  During his second season when they were winning again, Indy was now a football town once again and had a ton of die hard Colts "fans"!  We got lucky again by drafting Luck, and now we are dealing with what most of the NFL has had to deal with after his retirement - mediocrity.  I know a lot of "fans" that have barely watched one game in a couple of years because we've sucked, but when things get turned around, they'll be back and act like they were always on board.  Indy is a fairweather professional sports town.  It's been that way with both the Pacers and the Colts.  Just the way it is.  

I think most of the people in this board are "true fans".  Bandwagon fans typically aren't reading message boards about the team because they don't care either way.  So I don't think that someone being critical of the team means they aren't a true fan.  I'm not saying that's what you said, but just wanted to make that point .  

I think it’s perfectly fine for fans to criticize their team and point out short comings and say what they want to see be better.  This forum has several fans who do just that and it’s fine because at the end of the day they just want the Colts to win.  It’s when all someone does is criticize and never has anything positive to say and seemingly doesn’t enjoy anything about the team that makes me ignore someone because I think they are just trying to be the smartest person in the room more than seeing things go well for the team.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Michael Pittman is a WR3 at best and is extremely overrated. As a rookie Downs is already better than him at doing the most important thing a WR needs to do, which is creating separation. It should be easy to let him walk in FA.

Wowza….    I sure didn’t see this post coming.     Holy cow.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Michael Pittman is a WR3 at best and is extremely overrated. As a rookie Downs is already better than him at doing the most important thing a WR needs to do, which is creating separation. It should be easy to let him walk in FA.

Pittman projected as an X, not a traditional Z. When you had Wentz throwing it up to him or Rivers hitting him in stride, he did outstanding. Pittman does suffer from QB play, IMO. Yesterday, for example, Minshew threw one at the hip to knee level for Pittman for an incompletion. I bet Wentz would have thrown it higher for a completion understanding Pittman's strengths. Same thing with Pierce, like Pittman, likes it higher as a taller wideout. I bet Pittman and Pierce, once given time, will flourish with AR with chemistry. Just my two cents. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The Colts were gods in Baltimore. The Colts band continued to play together long after the Midnight Run to Indy. It was a greater shock to the fans than when the Dodgers left Brooklyn.

Not to the dodgers fans it wasn't.  lol

On 11/4/2023 at 6:21 PM, jvan1973 said:

Dorsett was a bust no doubt,  but that entire draft was a bust other than Geathers.   We could have taken Landon Collins but I don't think that gets us a superbowl 

Do you recall @Dustin ?  He wanted the Colts to draft Grady Jarrett at 29. He might have been a great help for the Colts defense. He was picked on Day 3. He is on IR now, but he is still with the team that drafted him. Dustin was right about him.

Lockett and Diggs had better careers than Dorsett..

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 12:11 PM, chad72 said:

Pittman projected as an X, not a traditional Z. When you had Wentz throwing it up to him or Rivers hitting him in stride, he did outstanding. Pittman does suffer from QB play, IMO. Yesterday, for example, Minshew threw one at the hip to knee level for Pittman for an incompletion. I bet Wentz would have thrown it higher for a completion understanding Pittman's strengths. Same thing with Pierce, like Pittman, likes it higher as a taller wideout. I bet Pittman and Pierce, once given time, will flourish with AR with chemistry. Just my two cents. 

Agreed. Pittman is our best WR, and that seems to lead to people comparing him to traditional Z WRs who can take over games. That's never going to be a favorable comparison for him. If we want that kind of guy, we need to go get him. And there would still be room for Pittman to do his thing at the X spot. What doesn't make sense is to try to get that kind of performance and production out of a player who doesn't have the traits for it, and then hold it against him.

Long story short, Pittman probably shouldn't be our best WR, but that's a roster issue, not a Pittman issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed. Pittman is our best WR, and that seems to lead to people comparing him to traditional Z WRs who can take over games. That's never going to be a favorable comparison for him. If we want that kind of guy, we need to go get him. And there would still be room for Pittman to do his thing at the X spot. What doesn't make sense is to try to get that kind of performance and production out of a player who doesn't have the traits for it, and then hold it against him.

Long story short, Pittman probably shouldn't be our best WR, but that's a roster issue, not a Pittman issue.

Absolutely. Michael is working within the parameters that are set for him. And he's been doing a good job all things considered. 

I look for him to be targeted often in the New England game. I just hope Steichen has some creative plays dialed up on offense. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I miss a lot of old posters who are long gone… 

There is a reason why some of them left, I won't go into it, I'll be nice and not stir up anything. I know because I had around 7 or 8 message me saying they were leaving over around 3 month span a while ago. They messaged me because I was friends with them and I posted more than anyone. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is a reason why some of them left, I won't go into it, I'll be nice and not stir up anything. I know because I had around 7 or 8 message me saying they were leaving over around 3 month span a while ago. They messaged me because I was friends with them and I posted more than anyone. 

@RollerColtit is pretty sad and then there are few others, I have no idea about like @EastStreet for example.

My unpopular opinion-  We are not spoiled and the people who think that are wrong headed

If you have an exciting roster then its natural to see more excitement out of fans, we dont have that right now

Having peyton 14 years ago isnt reason to call us spoiled now lol, they have to give us a reason to be excited now

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

This one will really rile up people:

I think sports betting has made the game worse and has damaged its integrity. Sports betting should be banned. 

It would be very easy to believe that an official could easily influence a game if he wanted.  You can just look back at the phantom calls in last nights Ravens game.  Or our Cleveland game.