Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you have an unpopular opinion about the Colts? If so, what is it?

AKB

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

It was ignorant because we haven't seen nearly enough of SS to determine if he's going to be a good coach or not.  So you don't have enough information (none of us do) yet to make that statement. :)

Please inform us Jason when we have enough information to form an opinion lol.  

• Like 2

Unpopular opinion:

This team is not a good as some Colts fans make it out to be.

Short of ‘20 it’s barely competed for a playoff spot in the Ballard era. 

I know, I know, injuries, bad refs, full moons, aurora borealis, leap years, unicorn farts and pixie dust. If everything needs to align to for this team to compete for a 7th seed it’s not as good as some say it is. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

It was ignorant because we haven't seen nearly enough of SS to determine if he's going to be a good coach or not.  So you don't have enough information (none of us do) yet to make that statement. :)

It's not much of a sample size, but I backed my opinion with the fact of abandoning the run two of the past three games when Minshew was our QB. You're right, it's too early to say, but it's a sign early that he may panic when we fall behind and he repeated it twice in 3 weeks. 

I could also say that people don't have enough of a sample size to say he is a good coach, but a lot of people do. 

• Like 2

Just now, Nickster said:

Please inform us Jason when we have enough information to form an opinion lol.  

if you need me to tell you that 8 games into his rookie year as a HC isn't enough time to make an informed opinion about what kind of coach he is then you're even more delusional than I thought you were :) 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's not much of a sample size, but I backed my opinion with the fact of abandoning the run two of the past three games when Minshew was our QB. You're right, it's too early to say, but it's a sign early that he may panic when we fall behind and he repeated it twice in 3 weeks. 

It's also something he could very well learn from.  The problem with Reich wasn't that he did that kind of thing in his first season as HC.  It's that he was still  doing it several years into his coaching tenure. :)

I could also say that people don't have enough of a sample size to say he is a good coach, but a lot of people do. 

you absolutely could say that and I would agree with it 100%

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RollerColt said:

My unpopular opinion:

Sometimes I find Pat McAfee a bit much. 

Pat is the kind of guy where if I knew him and saw him walk in the front door of a bar, I would head to the bathroom and sneak out the back door.

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

When I watch MarvinJ, here is my concern about how "elite" he might be.  Like his father, he seems to get YAC only when he has wide open spaces in front of him.  If a defender is close to him, he doesn't really have the jukes to make the guy miss, and he tends to get tackled a bit easier than I would expect for a 6'4" WR.  Just my eyes, and I have not seen him play a ton (because I tend to not like OSU. lol).  In this sense, is he basically a route running "possession" receiver, but who can get behind the D over the top as a threat? A great addition to the corps, but lacking the juke...break away from the defender type of YAC.  I'm probably just being picky and pointing out where he is not perfect.

OTOH, in addition to speed, routes, and hands, Chase can juke a guy out of his cleats, so he can create wide open space in front of him even though a defender is close to him.  I think that ability helps CIN and Burrow quite a bit.

Its why I would entertain the idea of Bowers or a pass rusher instead of MHJ.  A conversation, not a slam dunk either way at this point.

We need either a huge game changing WR or a game changing Pass Rusher similar to what Freeney was. I look at our roster and we have some good players, like Pittman, Downs already, Buckner, Franklin but no huge game changers other than Taylor. Taylor is sort of a game changer because at any given time he can break a 60 yard+ run but that is about it. I would love to have a guy like Marvin for my #1, make Pitt my #2, Downs a slot, Pierce would still be in the mix as a solid 4. That would be a nice WR room.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J@son said:

It's also something he could very well learn from.  The problem with Reich wasn't that he did that kind of thing in his first season as HC.  It's that he was still  doing it several years into his coaching tenure. :)

you absolutely could say that and I would agree with it 100%

I agree here. I guess a fear of mine is that Steichen won't learn from his mistakes because Reich didn't. Probably a bit unfair on my part. I'm just impatient at this point, and losing Richardson for the year sent me over the edge lol.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We need either a huge game changing WR or a game changing Pass Rusher similar to what Freeney was. I look at our roster and we have some good players, like Pittman, Downs already, Buckner, Franklin but no huge game changers other than Taylor. Taylor is sort of a game changer because at any given time he can break a 60 yard+ run but that is about it. I would love to have a guy like Marvin for my #1, make Pitt my #2, Downs a slot, Pierce would still be in the mix as a solid 4. That would be a nice WR room.

Leonard used to be a game changer because he could create Turnovers, but so far he hasn't been this year.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree here. I guess a fear of mine is that Steichen won't learn from his mistakes because Reich didn't. Probably a bit unfair on my part. I'm just impatient at this point, and losing Richardson for the year sent me over the edge lol.

Well, and this kind of leads into my potentially unpopular opinion of the Colts.  I don't think the brass cares all that much about winning this year and some of Steichen's in game decisions could be a reflection of that.  Perhaps he's being abnormally aggressive and unconventional at times to put the team in various situations to see how they react and to get them experience in those situations.  Going for it on 4th instead of taking FGs, having Minshew operate a pass-happy offense etc. 

And I will also concede this is probably more of a hope than an opinion on my part. haha

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The problem with JT is that his style of running will also produce a lot of stuffs at the LOS.  So it puts the QB in 3rd and long a lot.  And we punt a lot.  Same as Derrick Henry.  The offense can't really be a possession short passing chain mover because the defense will cram the routes...it needs to be explosive.   JT needs to explode every...what....8th hand off, and there needs to be explosion in the over the top passing game.  That offense has a different look to it than a sideway throwing possession passing game.

We don't have the receivers for that explosion that needs to compliment JTs style. IMO.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nickster said:

is it the inverse lol?  My bad

Lol yeah, "converse" would be since there is no confidence he is the long term answer, he hasn't done anything to prove it. 

I definitely hope Richardson pans out. I did think he would look worse than he did, though. 

1 minute ago, J@son said:

Well, and this kind of leads into my potentially unpopular opinion of the Colts.  I don't think the brass cares all that much about winning this year and some of Steichen's in game decisions could be a reflection of that.  Perhaps he's being abnormally aggressive and unconventional at times to put the team in various situations to see how they react and to get them experience in those situations.  Going for it on 4th instead of taking FGs, having Minshew operate a pass-happy offense etc. 

And I will also concede this is probably more of a hope than an opinion on my part. haha

That's something I didn't consider. The only way I could counter this is too say that we would have traded Moss if we didn't care about winning since there were offers for him. We may want to re-sign him to use alongside Taylor after the year is over though or extend him by Nov 12 at the extension deadline.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's something I didn't consider. The only way I could counter this is too say that we would have traded Moss if we didn't care about winning since there were offers for him. We may want to re-sign him to use alongside Taylor after the year is over though or extend him by Nov 12 at the extension deadline.

I'd be very curious to know what the actual offers were for Moss.  I do think there could be some truth in the idea that they opted not to trade him to be able to keep Taylor from having to take on a full workload in what is an evaluation year.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J@son said:

I'd be very curious to know what the actual offers were for Moss.  I do think there could be some truth in the idea that they opted not to trade him to be able to keep Taylor from having to take on a full workload in what is an evaluation year.  

I would guess some form of day 3 picks. We may have wanted a 3rd or 4th for him, and the offers were 5th or 6th round picks. 

I do believe there's some truth to that. Taylor is just now healthy from a major injury, and we probably didn't want to give him 25-30 carries a game. It also seems like both Taylor and Moss are getting a full workload most games, so I would guess that Ballard and/or Steichen know that Minshew can't carry a game and we are reliant on the run. So two rbs are better than one for longevity for an entire season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I heard Franklin and Speed talk about it.  They do not like the cold.  Zaire said something to the effect of he's played in a lot of cold in syracuse but you don't really get used to it, you just cope.  Speed seemed to not like that cold at all.

Syracuse plays its home games in a completely domed stadium.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think the plan is to resign him to a longer contract and not let him hit FA.  I think he will resign too.  He’s in a very good situation and he knows it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Lol yeah, "converse" would be since there is no confidence he is the long term answer, he hasn't done anything to prove it. 

I definitely hope Richardson pans out. I did think he would look worse than he did, though. 

He has "something".   He does appear to be unflustered.  But he is also a strikiningly inaccurate passer. 

IMO, there is now way this kid is the answer if he isn't taking 120-170 carries a year like Hurts, Jackson, and Allen (though Allen might be evolving away from so many carries).  So the injury situation so far for that type of load is inauspicious to say the least. 

He quite frankly looked just like he did on film from Florida.  Talented, but inaccurate.  Exciting, but not all that productive.

I am not of the opinion that he is destined to be a bust.  He appears to be at the least a low tier NFL starting QB.  Whether or not he pans out into a star that the org so desperately needs, is far from clear IMO.

I doubt a 45 QBR player has ever gotten this amount of positive report though.  

58 minutes ago, J@son said:

if you need me to tell you that 8 games into his rookie year as a HC isn't enough time to make an informed opinion about what kind of coach he is then you're even more delusional than I thought you were :) 

Since you are the God an Arbiter of all things opinon related, will you please inform us as to when it is your wish for us to start forming opinions? 

And BTW Lord, it hurts my feelings when you are mean and make personal attacks against me.

And BTW again Almighty One, I am not sure about SS either way at this point either. 

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Since you are the God an Arbiter of all things opinon related, will you please inform us as to when it is your wish for us to start forming opinions? 

fine.  I added a note to my calendar.  I'll let you know.  :thmup:

58 minutes ago, #12. said:

Pat is the kind of guy where if I knew him and saw him walk in the front door of a bar, I would head to the bathroom and sneak out the back door.

Depends on what kid of drinking mood I'm in though.  

Just now, J@son said:

fine.  I added a note to my calendar.  I'll let you know.  :thmup:

Thank you Jason your magnificent way of knowing when opinions should be formed is astounding. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Steichen is a bad coach and has a lot of the same qualities as Frank Reich. That new car smell just hasn't worn off yet, and people aren't going to admit it for a couple years. He's already abandoned the run 2 of the past 3 games when we've fallen behind 2 or more scores, and that's with a half remaining where we can catch up. This is with Gardner Minshew, mind you, not Anthony Richardson at QB.

As we both and some others know Steinchen is only following the script. haha

• Like 1

In the spirit of this thread......

The locker room could use new voices and leadership to hold each other accountable and rebuild the winning culture.  Some players who are expected to lead by example have regressed in their second contracts. With good player leadership teams develop an identity

It was really tough to watch last year when the Colts played the Jets and Nick Foles was lying  injured on the field while being taunted, and there was little to no reaction by his teammates. IMO that should never happen.

Despite all of the organization emphasis on character and culture I think the team still has a way to go.

I do think Steichen is bringing structure and accountability to the team. Hopefully AR and some new voices emerge going forward.

This probably has more to do with the team's fortunes lately but I miss the RCA Dome, I think Lucas Oil isn't quite that that old stadium was in the Noughties and I had some tremendous times at the old stadium. The new one still somehow doesn't quite feel the same yet. Maybe more playoff instances will help....it always does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

Our LBs corp is highly overrated on this forum. Someone stated that they are better than the 49ers lmao

Point is they are good to great run stuffers (Franklin) but, terrible to horrendous pass defenders (Franklin and Leonard)

Franklin isn’t even a great run stuffer. 

He’s a JAG. Average. There I said it. What makes Franklin stand out is his high motor. He’s involved in a lot of plays - good and bad. He makes a lot of tackles, but misses a lot of tackles as well. He’s not even average as in Coverage. 

• Like 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

So you are saying NCF is great.   What's the unpopular opinion?

Why?

NCF has a high opinion of Ballard, and a lot of people aren't high on Ballard anymore. So they don't think he's great like they used too. So the unpopular opinion would be Ballard is great at his job, and NCF thinks the opposite. Just a funny way to say it because NCF is stubborn on his view on Ballard still more than most on this forum.

• Like 1

This will be an unpopular take.   The Colts have a terrible fan base.  A bunch of entitled punks hanging onto the Manning dominance and the transfer to Luck.   Very few true fans.  The hold over Baltimore fans are the real heros.  I'm not even one of them, but those folks know true adversity as a fan.   Indy fans have been spoiled.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

This will be an unpopular take.   The Colts have a terrible fan base.  A bunch of entitled punks hanging onto the Manning dominance and the transfer to Luck.   Very few true fans.  The hold over Baltimore fans are the real heros.  I'm not even one of them, but those folks know true adversity as a fan.   Indy fans have been spoiled.   

i don't agree with this, but i will say that our stadium presence as fans could certainly be better. 

we don't get as loud as we should, especially when the stadium is closed. 

i think we usually at like 105 db at least that's about what it gets up to the last few times I've been at LOS

maybe your spoiled point rolls over into my stadium noise complaint, so maybe i do agree somewhat

• Like 1