Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you have an unpopular opinion about the Colts? If so, what is it?

AKB

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

This will be an unpopular take.   The Colts have a terrible fan base.  A bunch of entitled punks hanging onto the Manning transition to Luck.   Very few true fans.  The hold over Baltimore fans are the real heros.  I'm not even one of them, but those folks know true adversity as a fan.   Indy fans have been spoiled.   

For the most part I agree with this. It is hard to lump certain people in with others though. Although it is tough to find anything real positive about the team right now, I will always be what I call - A TrueFan. I was a fan when the Colts moved here so I know real bad from 1984-1986, 1991 too. If I had to put a % on our fanbase being spoiled or entitled it would be around 50%. 50% is still a big number because that is half our fanbase. Peyton and Luck spoiled them is why. Now when things are going bad they can't handle it or get real negative about the team. It is what it is brother. I am grateful that the Colts won a SB in my lifetime here in Indianapolis (2006). Many fanbases do not know the feeling = Titans, Texans, Jags, Chargers, Browns, Bengals, Bills, Panthers, Falcons, Lions, Vikings, and Cards. Those 12 teams have never won a SB. Even dynasty teams like the Cowboys and 49ers, haven't won a SB in nearly 30 years. Jets haven't won one since 1968 - that was before I was born.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For the most part I agree with this. It is hard to lump certain people in with others though. Although it is tough to find anything real positive about the team right now, I will always be what I call - A TrueFan. I was a fan when the Colts moved here so I know real bad from 1984-1986, 1991 too. If I had to put a % on our fanbase being spoiled or entitled it would be around 50%. 50% is still a big number because that is half our fanbase. Peyton and Luck spoiled them is why. Now when things are going bad they can't handle it or get real negative about the team. It is what it is brother. I am grateful that the Colts won a SB in my lifetime here in Indianapolis (2006). Many fanbases do not know the feeling = Titans, Texans, Jags, Chargers, Browns, Bengals, Bills, Panthers, Falcons, Lions, Vikings, and Cards. Those 12 teams have never won a SB. Even dynasty teams like the Cowboys and 49ers, haven't won a SB in nearly 30 years. Jets haven't won one since 1968 - that was before I was born.

i never knew you were born in 1880

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't get the joke. I think I made a pretty fair response to Jvan. Half our fanbase is real loyal and the other half is questionable. I can only go by how people post in here and on other sites, the way they talk about the team. 

bad joke sorry. was trying to say ur ancient

4 minutes ago, AKB said:

Huh?   

A member of the media compares the performance of former all-pro Matt Ryan with career backup Gardner Minshew and is ***surprised*** there are differences?!?  

Seriously?     Dear God!  

That’s a candidate for dumbest tweet I’ve seen in a long, long time.    

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   

A member of the media compares the performance of former all-pro Matt Ryan with career backup Gardner Minshew and is ***surprised*** there are differences?!?  

Seriously?     Dear God!  

That’s a candidate for dumbest tweet I’ve seen in a long, long time.    

i think that's a bit harsh, but he isn't proclaiming to say anything groundbreaking. he is merely commentating. 

however, minshew is a backup, what are you gonna do? bench the back up for a worse back up? 

commentary certainly is relevant in terms of us tanking last year at 3-3-1, Irsay clearly hit the off switch at that point.

at 3-5 we made no trades, haven't benched him to tank. it's interesting. can also maybe attribute this to not removing pieces from Steichen. 

just makes last year look even more like a tank job

--> and again, this is the unpopular opinion thread, so perhaps your response is spot on !

An unpopular opinion  is that I don't care about Manningcast on MNF. (Peyton Manning was a Colt, so it might apply under this thread.) I watched them a few times when I had the channel, but am not impressed. They interfere with the game and I missed some plays because of them. Also, the guests they had when I watched it weren't very good. They would be better in a separate podcast where they didn't take away from the action. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

An unpopular opinion  is that I don't care about Manningcast on MNF. (Peyton Manning was a Colt, so it might apply under this thread.) I watched them a few times when I had the channel, but am not impressed. They interfere with the game and I missed some plays because of them. Also, the guests they had when I watched it weren't very good. They would be better in a separate podcast where they didn't take away from the action. 

This applies IMO. This is a good one that I disagree with. :thmup: So you did your job!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Titans, Texans, Jags, Chargers, Browns, Bengals, Bills, Panthers, Falcons, Lions, Vikings, and Cards.

At some point one of the franchises has to win a ring... Right? Right?!

It's a weird feeling that my fandom has reversed now. For years it was the Colts who were stable with Peyton and every season felt like a chance to win it all. And now with Joe Brrr it's the Bengals turn for high expectations. I sure hope Cincy can finally experience that 2006 feeling. 

That's the best part about winning the Super Bowl, you can always go back and say at least we got one!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AKB said:

i think that's a bit harsh, but he isn't proclaiming to say anything groundbreaking. he is merely commentating. 

however, minshew is a backup, what are you gonna do? bench the back up for a worse back up? 

commentary certainly is relevant in terms of us tanking last year at 3-3-1, Irsay clearly hit the off switch at that point.

at 3-5 we made no trades, haven't benched him to tank. it's interesting. can also maybe attribute this to not removing pieces from Steichen. 

just makes last year look even more like a tank job

--> and again, this is the unpopular opinion thread, so perhaps your response is spot on !

Or... Or... 

We aren't benching Gardner because we are tanking *wink *wink

Plotting Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

20 hours ago, Nickster said:

He has "something".   He does appear to be unflustered.  But he is also a strikiningly inaccurate passer. 

IMO, there is now way this kid is the answer if he isn't taking 120-170 carries a year like Hurts, Jackson, and Allen (though Allen might be evolving away from so many carries).  So the injury situation so far for that type of load is inauspicious to say the least. 

He quite frankly looked just like he did on film from Florida.  Talented, but inaccurate.  Exciting, but not all that productive.

I am not of the opinion that he is destined to be a bust.  He appears to be at the least a low tier NFL starting QB.  Whether or not he pans out into a star that the org so desperately needs, is far from clear IMO.

I doubt a 45 QBR player has ever gotten this amount of positive report though.  

I wonder what people would think about him if he was a late round pick. 

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

This will be an unpopular take.   The Colts have a terrible fan base.  A bunch of entitled punks hanging onto the Manning dominance and the transfer to Luck.   Very few true fans.  The hold over Baltimore fans are the real heros.  I'm not even one of them, but those folks know true adversity as a fan.   Indy fans have been spoiled.   

They're a horrible fan base because they love the Colts most dominant era (Manning era)? 

There has been nothing to hang on to since those eras. 

6 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

They're a horrible fan base because they love the Colts most dominant era (Manning era)? 

There has been nothing to hang on to since those eras. 

Yeah, I don't agree with jvan at all.   I became a Colts fan in the mid to late 1980's and have been since.   

My "unpopular" take is questioning the head coaches play calling.   Taylor had 1 carry in the second half of the Saints game.  After having a great first half.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

At some point one of the franchises has to win a ring... Right? Right?!

It's a weird feeling that my fandom has reversed now. For years it was the Colts who were stable with Peyton and every season felt like a chance to win it all. And now with Joe Brrr it's the Bengals turn for high expectations. I sure hope Cincy can finally experience that 2006 feeling. 

That's the best part about winning the Super Bowl, you can always go back and say at least we got one!

I give Cincy the best chance because they have Burrow and Chase and a decent D + a great FG kicker.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah, I don't agree with jvan at all.   I became a Colts fan in the mid to late 1980's and have been since.   

My "unpopular" take is questioning the head coaches play calling.   Taylor had 1 carry in the second half of the Saints game.  After having a great first half.  

I do think Jvan went a little overboard, so I made a long post in response to his. I agree with some of what he is saying. I did post you can't lump everyone in the same boat. So regarding you, his post doesn't apply. I will say this, I think 50% of us have great fans, they are loyal, and honest, and critical of the team where it isn't demeaning, but I think we have around 50% that are wishy washy. They are spoiled from the Peyton/Luck era and they like to bash the team for fun. I just go by what I read which shows what kind of fan someone is.

Our roster isn't nearly as bad as many people say it is.

Reich made it look bad, and Steichen is correcting that. It hasn't shown in in the win column to the extent impatient fans would like to see but, the offensive stats prove it. This is especially true when you consider Minshew's limitations.

Now, Bradley is making the defense look bad. Obviously the roster needs a couple of pieces but they're hard to find, keep and pay. I say our weakness on offense is pass catchers that can block, and offensive linemen that can get outside and down field in front of the RB's. On defense, depth on the line and a consistent pass rushing threat player. A couple of guys might be but Bradley's schemes aren't creating enough opportunities to prove who that is. We might not have all pro DB's but again, we don't know because Bradley can't figure out how to get enough pressure so those backs don't have to cover for 5 seconds. Rosters get too much blame. Coaches don't get enough. All the athletes in the NFL are good. Not all the coaches are.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do think Jvan went a little overboard, so I made a long post in response to his. I agree with some of what he is saying. I did post you can't lump everyone in the same boat. So regarding you, his post doesn't apply. I will say this, I think 50% of us have great fans, they are loyal, and honest, and critical of the team where it isn't demeaning, but I think we have around 50% that are wishy washy. They are spoiled from the Peyton/Luck era and they like to bash the team for fun. I just go by what I read which shows what kind of fan someone is.

The online forum =/= the fans in the state of Indiana. In the state we’re a fiercely loyal group. The games in the early 90s were entertaining as a kid. The RCA Dome was packed, even with the losing seasons. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AKB said:

i don't agree with this, but i will say that our stadium presence as fans could certainly be better. 

we don't get as loud as we should, especially when the stadium is closed. 

i think we usually at like 105 db at least that's about what it gets up to the last few times I've been at LOS

maybe your spoiled point rolls over into my stadium noise complaint, so maybe i do agree somewhat

I’ll be at the game in Charlotte.  I can’t imagine there’ll be too many of us Colts’ fans in attendance.  I’ll give some feedback.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I’ll be at the game in Charlotte.  I can’t imagine there’ll be too many of us Colts’ fans in attendance.  I’ll give some feedback.

oh yeah i don't picture colts fans as being ones who travel well. 

but what do i know, the only away game i've been to is a lions preseason game lol 

3 hours ago, WERC82 said:

Our roster isn't nearly as bad as many people say it is.

Reich made it look bad, and Steichen is correcting that. It hasn't shown in in the win column to the extent impatient fans would like to see but, the offensive stats prove it. This is especially true when you consider Minshew's limitations.

Now, Bradley is making the defense look bad. Obviously the roster needs a couple of pieces but they're hard to find, keep and pay. I say our weakness on offense is pass catchers that can block, and offensive linemen that can get outside and down field in front of the RB's. On defense, depth on the line and a consistent pass rushing threat player. A couple of guys might be but Bradley's schemes aren't creating enough opportunities to prove who that is. We might not have all pro DB's but again, we don't know because Bradley can't figure out how to get enough pressure so those backs don't have to cover for 5 seconds. Rosters get too much blame. Coaches don't get enough. All the athletes in the NFL are good. Not all the coaches are.

I think how Steichen has been able to make this offense look good with Gardner like sneakily top 10 good, shows that the excuse that the defensive roster is the problem just isn't that good of an excuse. Our defense has allowed the highest points per game (28.6) in the league, while our offense is 6th when it comes to points per game (25.6) and hasn't scored under 20 points so far this season. Which fun fact we are the only team in the top 10 for offensive points per game, that has a losing record.

On 11/2/2023 at 8:13 PM, jvan1973 said:

This will be an unpopular take.   The Colts have a terrible fan base.  A bunch of entitled punks hanging onto the Manning dominance and the transfer to Luck.   Very few true fans.  The hold over Baltimore fans are the real heros.  I'm not even one of them, but those folks know true adversity as a fan.   Indy fans have been spoiled.   

I'm happy you called me a " true hero " (holdover from Baltimore) and yeah we seen a lot of adversity BUT so has the early Indy fans. Those pre Manning days were rough but I think a lot of them were so happy just to have a real NFL team in Indianapolis made losing secondary to them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'm happy you called me a " true hero " (holdover from Baltimore) and yeah we seen a lot of adversity BUT so has the early Indy fans. Those pre Manning days were rough but I think a lot of them were so happy just to have a real NFL team in Indianapolis made losing secondary to them. 

I've always admired the Baltimore fans that chose to stick with the Colts.   When I was a kid my dad and I sat in a half empty stadium in the Hoosier dome.  We had season tickets and never sat in our seats because there were better seats unfilled.  Indiana didn't really embrace colts football until the 94 run with Harbaugh.   Then Peyton brought the masses.   When were winning,  we love them,  when they aren't we have better things to do.   It's the same with every team in Indiana except Notre Dame football and Indiana basketball.   Fandom here is nothing like a lot of great sports towns.   Look at the Browns fans, so much disappointment yet they are as rabid as they come.   Oh well,   I'll root for my team win or lose

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I've always admired the Baltimore fans that chose to stick with the Colts.   When I was a kid my dad and I sat in a half empty stadium in the Hoosier dome.  We had season tickets and never sat in our seats because there were better seats unfilled.  Indiana didn't really embrace colts football until the 94 run with Harbaugh.   Then Peyton brought the masses.   When were winning,  we love them,  when they aren't we have better things to do.   It's the same with every team in Indiana except Notre Dame football and Indiana basketball.   Fandom here is nothing like a lot of great sports towns.   Look at the Browns fans, so much disappointment yet they are as rabid as they come.   Oh well,   I'll root for my team win or lose

If you judge a teams fan base by the games being sold out, maybe we aren't so good. I never had trouble getting tickets to 2-4 games a season in the 90's. 

I can't remember if it was 99, or 2000, I made sure to be in line at the Dome at 5;30 am first day of sales, because Ticketmaster couldn't start selling tickets until 11 or noon. Still was able ti get 30 yard line upper deck seats 12 rows up or so for two games, even though it was a hour after Ticketmaster had opened.

As time went on I could still get tickets, but sometimes had to settle for the nose bleed, or $35 corner seats, but at least we were there.

After the Colts won the Superbowl, I couldn't get anything for face Value for several years.

This year I bought Saints game tickets off the Colts website 3 games in to the season. Nose bleed was all that was available, So I guess we have a lot of rabid fans, but some fair weather as well.

14 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Someone created a thread about this game. A few of you are going. You can PM each other (send personal message here) and make a point to meet each other. It should be fun.

I twice went to Colts games at Met Life Stadium. I asked a few people sitting around me if they were members of the forum. No one was.  I went to a Vikings game at Met Life and met one of the members/writers of the Vikings site I follow. It was fun.

Enjoy the game.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 8:33 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think that some folks that join forums seem to do so to find a place to air their frustrations, grievances, disappointments, etc. They are often the "loudest" and others believe they speak for the entire fan base. They don't.

Most fans support their teams. There is a quiet majority that rarely post comments but still support their team.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Unpopular opinion:

The Colts would have won a Super Bowl with Andrew Luck had Ryan Grigson not given up a first round pick for Trent Richardson and had he used the #29 pick in 2015 on defense rather than on a WR (Dorsett).

man Dorsett big bust

• Like 2

6 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Keeping Baker on the outside changed the game and Bradley never did a thing about it. He could have put Kenny Moore out there and moved Baker inside or on the bench. It ticked me off to sit around Saints fans and seeing them gloat

That's the most frustrating thing is that he doesn't make in-game adjustments when you see that something isn't working

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Unpopular opinion:

The Colts would have won a Super Bowl with Andrew Luck had Ryan Grigson not given up a first round pick for Trent Richardson and had he used the #29 pick in 2015 on defense rather than on a WR (Dorsett).

Dorsett was a bust no doubt,  but that entire draft was a bust other than Geathers.   We could have taken Landon Collins but I don't think that gets us a superbowl 

39 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Dorsett was a bust no doubt,  but that entire draft was a bust other than Geathers.   We could have taken Landon Collins but I don't think that gets us a superbowl 

You needed OL and defense, no? I wonder if there was ever a thread created about who Colts would have taken if the trade for Trent Richardson had not been made.

My unpopular opinion is that the season isn't over yet and we can make some noise this year even the playoffs are still a possibility Sure, some things need to change like badly Bradley's defensive philosophy to match the talent we have on the field which isn't good on defense right now. I strongly believe we need to move Moore over to the outside and put Brown in the slot. Sure it isn't ideal but sometimes you got to take drastic measures when you are in a pinch. I also think unless he shows me, something by the end of the year we have to cut Shaq who I love but isn't getting it done at the price we are paying him and he isn't  even close to the player he used to be. The suspensions and the injuries have really hurt our defense so we have to make some compromises and it starts with Steichen.  

• Thanks 1