Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh McDaniels Fired

Zoltan

McDaniels out as Raiders head coach  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Does Josh McDaniels get another head coaching job in the next 6 years?

8 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Looks like McDaniels is the first head coach to be fired. While I didn’t want him to be the head coach of the Colts, the petty side of me is glad to see him not workout elsewhere. 

Yeah….  The GM got fired too.   It’s not even Nov 1, makes me wonder if that’s typical or early on a yearly basis?   

As for McDaniels….   Seems his best level would appear to be OC.   He is not a HC.   And after stiffing the Colts,  I won’t have any sympathy for him.  

• Like 3

Jon Gruden had a 10 year contract if I'm not mistaken so Mark Davis would still be paying him as well and considering that in addition to failing in both Denver & Vegas, and what McDaniels did to the Colts, another GM would have to be crazy to give him the reins to their team - like Belichick, Josh McDaniels is yet another coach who Tom Brady made look better than they actually were.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

Jon Gruden had a 10 year contract if I'm not mistaken so Mark Davis would still be paying him as well and considering that in addition to failing in both Denver & Vegas, and what McDaniels did to the Colts, another GM would have to be crazy to give him the reins to their team - like Belichick, Josh McDaniels is yet another coach who Tom Brady made look better than they actually were.

I thought they fired Gruden with cause, so they didn’t have to pay the guarantee. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah….  The GM got fired too.   It’s not even Nov 1, makes me wonder if that’s typical or early on a yearly basis?   

As for McDaniels….   Seems his best level would appear to be OC.   He is not a HC.   And after stiffing the Colts,  I won’t have any sympathy for him.  

I’m curious to see where he gets hired this offseason because he is a good OC, but yeah no sympathy for this firing. 

15 minutes ago, Dunk said:

I wasn't happy when he backed out on us, but seeing his round two performance as a head coach, he did us a favor.

Yep. I told many here that the Colts dodged a bullet. Everyone was so upset that he reneged on his deal with the Colts. But it was for the best. I have never been a fan of his.

This is what Mark Davis gets for not retaining Rich Bisaccia who had done a great job after taking over for Gruden.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yep. I told many here that the Colts dodged a bullet. Everyone was so upset that he reneged on his deal with the Colts. But it was for the best. I have never been a fan of his.

This is what Mark Davis gets for not retaining Rich Bisaccia who had done a great job after taking over for Gruden.

Rich Bisaccia was a good coach. Carr loved him and they made the playoffs with him. They should have kept him. 

I was actually one of the few in here that didn't want McDaniels back in 2018. When he backed out I was relieved. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rich Bisaccia was a good coach. Carr loved him and they made the playoffs with him. They should have kept him. 

I was actually one of the few in here that didn't want McDaniels back in 2018. When he backed out I was relieved. 

Very much agreed. I was sick when it was announced he’d be coach. I’ve felt for years that he’s not even a talented OC, he just had Tom Brady. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Very much agreed. I was sick when it was announced he’d be coach. I’ve felt for years that he’s not even a talented OC, he just had Tom Brady. 

I would disagree there. Tom Brady, when he went from McDaniels to O'Brien, you could tell the difference. Just like the Patriots' OL, when they went from Scarnecchia to no Scarnecchia and back to Scar. Where I would agree is that the execution, because of continuity and familiarity, was at a high level from Tom Brady just like with Peyton and Tom Moore.

But McDaniels as a HC, shipped Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall off, now doesn't know how to use DaVante Adams after shipping off Derek Carr, he is a clown for sure. :) 

I am sure he is running back to Daddy Belichick now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would disagree there. Tom Brady, when he went from McDaniels to O'Brien, you could tell the difference. Just like the Patriots' OL, when they went from Scarnecchia to no Scarnecchia and back to Scar. Where I would agree is that the execution, because of continuity and familiarity, was at a high level from Tom Brady just like with Peyton and Tom Moore.

But McDaniels as a HC, shipped Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall off, now doesn't know how to use DaVante Adams after shipping off Derek Carr, he is a clown for sure. :) 

Belichick will welcome him with open arms probably. Bill O’Brien has not been inspiring. 

10 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I agree, but Frank was no better.

Frank was better, if you look at it objectively and compare it to McDaniels' record as a HC, clearly.

Frank got stale, wouldn't relinquish OC duties, and the Colts' lack of talent didn't help. So it was time to move on to a more innovative offensive mind.

2018 with Luck - 10-6

2019 with Brissett - 7-9

2020 with Rivers - 11-5

2021 with Wentz - 9-8

2022 - the wheels came off, a big part of it was OL regressing significantly that Ballard did not plan well for, and QB Matt Ryan being on his home stretch, that is as much the talent as it is the coaching

Give me someone in their first 4 years as HC that wins an average of over 9 games, with 4 different QBs, with 1 of them being an average backup and 1 being a reclamation project like Wentz. I will wait.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was upset that we had already hired some of his guys though

Another average coach with a big ego fortunate enough to coach the best quarterback ever, he’s never done anything without Brady. He's just another guy who suddenly forgot how to run an offense without a star QB. Tom made this guy and got him two jobs. Now we know why many teams kept pulling the plug after interviewing him throughout the years.

I wouldn’t even hire him as an OC, these dinosaurs are still running the same old crap that only functions with an elite quarterback, it’s been proven over and over none of these bozos can coach offense it was ALL Brady, even Daboll is falling on his face now.

He’s basically Adam Gase at this point who looked amazing with Peyton Manning and a complete train wreck without him, he just got to ride the coat tails for longer.

He also did exactly what he did in Denver trading away a capable QB in Carr in favor of an inferior QB. Adams production has taken a dip because of the poor fit at QB. Not to mention, his last two drafts were atrocious. Tyree Wilson was an *ic coach killing pick. Clelin Ferrell 2.0.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

It is nice for McDaniels to be paid 4 years, like Gruden also being paid by the Raiders, despite being fired. What a life for these retreads!!!

They are still paying Gruden? I thought they did not have to pay Gruden, as he was fired for cause, as opposed to being fired for poor performance.

Davis seemed to really like Gruden. SMH

Very successful guy accumulates the resources to buy an NFL franchise. NFL franchise explodes in value as television dollars grow exponentially. Successful owner dies and hands over the team to his odd, troubled son. What could go wrong?

No, I’m talking about the Raiders.

The one smart thing Davis wants to do is add smart guy Brady as a minority owner and is willing to do it for a discount. And of course, guess who is trying to block it?

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

Very successful guy accumulates the resources to buy an NFL franchise. NFL franchise explodes in value as television dollars grow exponentially. Successful owner dies and hands over the team to his odd, troubled son. What could go wrong?

No, I’m talking about the Raiders.

The one smart thing Davis wants to do is add smart guy Brady as a minority owner and is willing to do it for a discount. And of course, guess who is trying to block it?

Thanks for asking the question. The NFL owners are blocking it.

One wonders "IF" Bill Belichick - and - his "sinking Patriots ship" reach out to Josh McDaniels to return to Foxboro??

That's the ONLY way that Mark Davis will get out of paying a second way-too-long head coaching contract!!

I think Josh McDaniels is done with "head coaching chances".

He cost the GM - and - his offensive coordinator their jobs too.

Me thinks that he won't be on an NFL coaching staff for quite a while.

• Like 1

QB Jimmy Garropolo - who has struggled with injuries - has been benched!!

QB Aidan O'Connell will assume the role of QB1 for the remainder of the 2023 season.  The Raiders want to do their due diligence in determining exactly what they have in O'Connell for the 2024 season.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

As soon as McDaniels was hired by the Broncos, the first thing he tried to do was trade Jay Cutler, then a Pro Bowl quarterback for career journeyman Matt Cassell - that fractured Cutler's relationship with the team, to the point where he stopped taking the owner's calls and left them no alternative but to trade him.

3 hours ago, azcolt said:

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

Maybe so but Jimmy is the one being quoted.

Honest question.

What are you talking about?