Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh McDaniels Fired

Zoltan

McDaniels out as Raiders head coach  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Does Josh McDaniels get another head coaching job in the next 6 years?

Chris Ballard doesn't get enough heat for hiring the Snake. 

Terrible decision making, and everything else since then has been....watch and see.

If AR hits then that's Ballard's saving grace otherwise he's going down as less successful than the prior GM, likability be damned

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Chris Ballard doesn't get enough heat for hiring the Snake. 

Terrible decision making, and everything else since then has been....watch and see.

If AR hits then that's Ballard's saving grace otherwise he's going down as less successful than the prior GM, likability be damned

Glad you posted this as I feel that’s one thing that hasn’t been given enough attention since it happened.  

After Pagano’s exit, Ballard’s first major decision as GM here with all his preparation through his various stops and experience (remember the binder he had prepared as a special tool to help him hire the right guy) was McDaniels.  

I said it at the time McD reneged here and holds true today after he was fired by the Raiders after barely 1-1/2 seasons there: Ballard  has major egg on his face for that one and it reflects poorly on his decision making.

16 minutes ago, SR711 said:

Glad you posted this as I feel that’s one thing that hasn’t been given enough attention since it happened.  

After Pagano’s exit, Ballard’s first major decision as GM here with all his preparation through his various stops and experience (remember the binder he had prepared as a special tool to help him hire the right guy) was McDaniels.  

I said it at the time McD reneged here and holds true today after he was fired by the Raiders after barely 1-1/2 seasons there: Ballard  has major egg on his face for that one and it reflects poorly on his decision making.

Of course it looks bad…in retrospect.  At the time he was the OC of the most successful offense in NFL history.  I don’t think anyone “has major egg on his face.”

48 minutes ago, SR711 said:

Huh?   What are you talking about?  

McDaniels started at NE,  went to Denver, fired there and went back to NE.   He was successful at NE both times.   He was a good candidate.   He was in demand.  The choice was fine.   What McDaniels did from there reflects badly on McDaniels, not Ballard.  

When McDaniels dumped the Colts the football world trashed McDaniels, not Ballard.    Fans trashing Ballard over this have been upset primarily over trying to sign someone from New England.  The rivalry was angry, ugly and bitter in 2018.  Even McDaniels own agent dumped him as a client.    

Ballard didn’t make a mistake.   McDaniels did. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   What are you talking about?  

McDaniels started at NE,  went to Denver, fired there and went back to NE.   He was successful at NE both times.   He was a good candidate.   He was in demand.  The choice was fine.   What McDaniels did from there reflects badly on McDaniels, not Ballard.  

When McDaniels dumped the Colts the football world trashed McDaniels, not Ballard.    Fans trashing Ballard over this have been upset primarily over trying to sign someone from New England.  The rivalry was angry, ugly and bitter in 2018.  Even McDaniels own agent dumped him as a client.    

Ballard didn’t make a mistake.   McDaniels did. 

I don't know if you're deliberately being obtuse, but I think it is a pretty simple thought that, with most sports franchises, a GM is responsible/accountable for the coaching hires they make and how they turn out regardless of bizarre, unique the end result may be.  Per reports I can recall at the time, the coaching search was a wide one and Ballard decided on McD after having weeks to go through his vetting process with this being his first major hire/decision here.  Keep in mind that the Colts job was a coveted one at the time especially compared to some of other openings that were there so chances are, Ballard was going to get his 1st choice.   Yes, McD was spineless.  What he did was 100% a low character thing to do.  He obviously and justifiably came out looking the worst (by far) of anyone in this after things went down.  However, what happened ultimately does not reflect well on Ballard's decision making or more specifically, the process he used to make this decision/offer.  Two things can be true at the same time.  That may be unfair as there may have been no "red flag" to indicate this would happen, but, unfortunately, that comes with territory when someone is an important decision-making position IMO.   

As far the "football world" reaction, I don't understand what bearing that has here.  Chris Ballard seems like a nice guy who anyone would probably love to have as their neighbor.  He probably is a great guy to work with.  He is engaging, thoughtful, open and amicable with the media.  Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that no one would really want to criticize him. 

If McD came here and completely flamed out due to a poor W-L record or because he was jerk who could not motivate, relate to the players, would you still not hold Ballard accountable? Btw, McD's performance with the Raiders with him being fired for a 2nd time after less than 2 seasons on the job doesn't exactly prove he was good head coach material. 

McDaniels looked the worst for backing out when he did on his commitment.  Ballard made a mistake in hiring him. If he had found an under the radar grand slam hire like Sean McVay, we would all be praising him.  Just my opinion, but we have to take every decision and their results into account when objectively evaluating instead of just rationalizing those that end up negatively. 

40 minutes ago, SR711 said:

I don't know if you're deliberately being obtuse, but I think it is a pretty simple thought that, with most sports franchises, a GM is responsible/accountable for the coaching hires they make and how they turn out regardless of bizarre, unique the end result may be.  Per reports I can recall at the time, the coaching search was a wide one and Ballard decided on McD after having weeks to go through his vetting process with this being his first major hire/decision here.  Keep in mind that the Colts job was a coveted one at the time especially compared to some of other openings that were there so chances are, Ballard was going to get his 1st choice.   Yes, McD was spineless.  What he did was 100% a low character thing to do.  He obviously and justifiably came out looking the worst (by far) of anyone in this after things went down.  However, what happened ultimately does not reflect well on Ballard's decision making or more specifically, the process he used to make this decision/offer.  Two things can be true at the same time.  That may be unfair as there may have been no "red flag" to indicate this would happen, but, unfortunately, that comes with territory when someone is an important decision-making position IMO.   

As far the "football world" reaction, I don't understand what bearing that has here.  Chris Ballard seems like a nice guy who anyone would probably love to have as their neighbor.  He probably is a great guy to work with.  He is engaging, thoughtful, open and amicable with the media.  Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that no one would really want to criticize him. 

If McD came here and completely flamed out due to a poor W-L record or because he was jerk who could not motivate, relate to the players, would you still not hold Ballard accountable? Btw, McD's performance with the Raiders with him being fired for a 2nd time after less than 2 seasons on the job doesn't exactly prove he was good head coach material. 

McDaniels looked the worst for backing out when he did on his commitment.  Ballard made a mistake in hiring him. If he had found an under the radar grand slam hire like Sean McVay, we would all be praising him.  Just my opinion, but we have to take every decision and their results into account when objectively evaluating instead of just rationalizing those that end up negatively. 

Ballard took plenty of heat here when the deal fell through.   But most of the heat was that he didn’t understand the rivalry between the Colts and the Patriots.  How dare he try to hire someone from the Evil Empire?    But that doesn’t change the fact that McDaniel was — at the time — a good hire.   He didn’t have the baggage then that he has now.  

Ballard and McDaniels shared the same agent.   He’s the number one agent for coaches and front office execs.  His name is Bob LeMonte.  He’s easy to Google.  LeMonte told McDaniels not to back out, and when he did, LeMonte fired him.  

Your argument would appear to be McDaniels failing twice to be a good head coach and it’s 2023, well, that reflex badly on Ballard for trying to hire him back in 2018 when he was still viewed as a quality candidate.    If that’s the case, there’s not much else to discuss.  

Ballard has clearly given his critics plenty of ammunition.   I just don’t think the decision to hire Josh McDaniels is legit.  And I’d say it’s also a big nothing burger to Ballard’s boss, Jim Irsay who signed off on the hiring.   

Not sure what else there is to discuss…. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Of course it looks bad…in retrospect.  At the time he was the OC of the most successful offense in NFL history.  I don’t think anyone “has major egg on his face.”

It was a major debate though. There was a heavy PR splash selling stories of how Josh had grown up. 

NcF, I hear your points but it wasn't just the rivalry. It was the risk of hiring that guy who clearly had maturity/leadership issues from that team, a combination of factors that told a story of a GM who wasn't reading the room or seeing things clearly. Combine that with his refusal to build teams a certain way (which he said he had to change last offseason)...well....as you say he gives his detractors ammo.

For me, that move is my Ballard legacy at the moment. If AR hits as I think and hope he does, then sure Ballard vaults up to Polian levels. QB changes everything. 

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

It was a major debate though. There was a heavy PR splash selling stories of how Josh had grown up. 

NcF, I hear your points but it wasn't just the rivalry. It was the risk of hiring that guy who clearly had maturity/leadership issues from that team, a combination of factors that told a story of a GM who wasn't reading the room or seeing things clearly. Combine that with his refusal to build teams a certain way (which he said he had to change last offseason)...well....as you say he gives his detractors ammo.

For me, that move is my Ballard legacy at the moment. If AR hits as I think and hope he does, then sure Ballard vaults up to Polian levels. QB changes everything. 

Many here we're ecstatic when they heard that McD would be hired as head coach. I thought it was a bad move. I'm not really sure why so many fans were enamored with him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Many here we're ecstatic when they heard that McD would be hired as head coach. I thought it was a bad move. I'm not really sure why so many fans were enamored with him.

The guy is supposed to be the next level of offensive coaching. Unfortunately it doesnt matter what you know if you can't lead MEN. His biggest issue was always the soft stuff not what he knew. Either way hopefully other folks get a shot at HC jobs and this guy doesnt keep getting these chances.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I thought Gruden was fired **with cause** which means the Raiders didn’t have to pay him off?   

If I’m wrong,  which I might be,  then I’m sure someone will come along and correct me.   

Even after they let Gruden go, they still owed him $40 million, and decided to cut a deal (most likely a lower sum) privately with him. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-reach-undisclosed-contract-settlement-with-jon-gruden-just-weeks-after-coachs-resignation-over-emails/amp/

Although the details of the settlement aren't known, the team still owed Gruden nearly $40 million in guaranteed money at the time of his resignation. Due to the way his tenure ended with the Raiders, there's a good chance Gruden didn't walk away with the full $40 million, but you can also probably assume that he didn't walk away empty-handed

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I thought Gruden was fired **with cause** which means the Raiders didn’t have to pay him off?   

If I’m wrong,  which I might be,  then I’m sure someone will come along and correct me.   

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Even after they let Gruden go, they still owed him $40 million, and decided to cut a deal (most likely a lower sum) privately with him. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-reach-undisclosed-contract-settlement-with-jon-gruden-just-weeks-after-coachs-resignation-over-emails/amp/

After his forced resignation, I notice that Jon Gruden sued the NFL & Commissioner Goodell, but not Mark Davis or the Raiders organization.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2023 at 12:00 PM, Colt.45 said:

Either way hopefully other folks get a shot at HC jobs and this guy doesnt keep getting these chances.

Hopefully they give the interim head coach Antonio Pierce a greater shot than they did Rich Bisaccia. I thought I recognized the name Antonio Pierce. He played here, with the Giants. He was a leader when he was with the Giants. Do you think he can be a leader of men as head coach.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Does anyone think that McDaniels will be given another opportunity to be a head coach? I wonder if the Patriots will hire him to take over for Bill Belichick. I think it is likely.

@Zoltan  Would you mind it if I added a poll question to this thread?

No, multiple head coaching failures, plus what he did to the Colts, I think he’s done as a head coach. He will end up as an OC in the league or possibly give coaching in college a try. But I would be very surprised if anyone hires him again as a HC

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Does anyone think that McDaniels will be given another opportunity to be a head coach? I wonder if the Patriots will hire him to take over for Bill Belichick. I think it is likely.

@Zoltan  Would you mind it if I added a poll question to this thread?

Of course, a poll sounds like a great idea.

If anyone is gonna give him another opportunity, I think it would have to be the patriots otherwise I don't see it happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Hopefully they give the interim head coach Antonio Pierce a greater shot than they did Rich Bisaccia. I thought I recognized the name Antonio Pierce. He played here, with the Giants. He was a leader when he was with the Giants. Do you think he can be a leader of men as head coach.

Yeah he was a fiery player, leader then so I can see it now. He's been coaching toon unlike a certain center. Oops

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Do you think he gets hired again? The poll is up.

@Zoltan   @2006Coltsbestever@ @VikingsFanInChennai     @Solid84@RollerColt

@csmopar  @Colt.45 @Dunk @Chrisaaron1023 @chad72@SR711 @shakedownstreet@Jared Cisneros@Dingus McGirt@NewColtsFan  @Lancer1@PRnum1  @w87r

Anyone else that I failed to mention...   

Yes. Once Belichick gets fired or retires, he will get hired one last time as the Pats HC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes. Once Belichick gets fired or retires, he will get hired one last time as the Pats HC.

I thought that and mentioned it earlier but he failed so miserably in each place. He did not even complete 2 full seasons with the Raiders. I think Kraft or anyone else would be making a mistake. He has never had success as head coach.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I thought that and mentioned it earlier but he failed so miserably in each place. He did not even complete 2 full seasons with the Raiders. I think Kraft or anyone else would be making a mistake. He has never had success as head coach.

I agree…I think he is done getting head coaching opportunities.

A lot of things are happening behind the scenes in raider land. 

Word is Gruden is suing the nfl and said no amount of zeroes on a check will make him drop the case.. He's willing to Burn the House down to get his revenge on Goodell and get his career back. Florio says that Brady's attempt to buy shares in the raiders is practically dead in the water.. Irsay was against the raiders selling low(to brady) because that would bring the other 31 teams worth down. Maybe that's why Davis cleaned house so gruden may be satisfied with lots of money AND part of the Raiders or again be HC/GM???

They said Davis loves gruden but reluctancly had to fire him from constant pressure from Goodell. Gruden's son works for raiders and they all get along. 

Anyway, there's a court case  scheduled coming up November 7. 

Doubt we ever will truly know the behind the scenes corruption but they said the nfl is scared of gruden...... 

Should be interesting LoL

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@csmopar  @Colt.45 @Dunk @Chrisaaron1023 @chad72@SR711 @shakedownstreet@Jared Cisneros@Dingus McGirt@NewColtsFan  @Lancer1@PRnum1  @w87r

My initial reaction is…..   doubtful, but not impossible.   He might get the Patriot job, but I’m not sure it’s that cut and dry.   Otherwise, I don’t see another franchise being interested in him until he goes a long time again as an O-coordinator with great success.  Success might be the only thing that gets the awful stink off him. 

as for who else should be notified among posters….   How about this name?  

@Superman

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

My initial reaction is…..   doubtful, but not impossible.   He might get the Patriot job, but I’m not sure it’s that cut and dry.   Otherwise, I don’t see another franchise being interested in him until he goes a long time again as an O-coordinator with great success.  Success might be the only thing that gets the awful stink off him. 

as for who else should be notified among posters….   How about this name?  

@Superman

Yeah I said yes, but I only see the patriots as the franchise to give him a chance. I think Robert Kraft really likes McDaniels and was one of the reasons McDaniels didn't take the Colts job, I could see him giving him a shot after Belichick retires.

54 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

As far as head coach, doubtful. As an OC, more likely. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah I said yes, but I only see the patriots as the franchise to give him a chance. I think Robert Kraft really likes McDaniels and was one of the reasons McDaniels didn't take the Colts job, I could see him giving him a shot after Belichick retires.

Yes, I think that’s possible, but Kraft might be pretty cautious to hire JM as the next HC.    It’s one think to hire JM as an OC, but HC?    So soon?    I think Kraft would be extra extra careful about that.   

I think other people who could be candidates would be Bill O’Brien,  Denico Ryan in Houston, and maybe even Mike Vrabel.    Just thinking out loud.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

A lot of things are happening behind the scenes in raider land. 

Word is Gruden is suing the nfl and said no amount of zeroes on a check will make him drop the case.. He's willing to Burn the House down to get his revenge on Goodell and get his career back. Florio says that Brady's attempt to buy shares in the raiders is practically dead in the water.. Irsay was against the raiders selling low(to brady) because that would bring the other 31 teams worth down. Maybe that's why Davis cleaned house so gruden may be satisfied with lots of money AND part of the Raiders or again be HC/GM???

They said Davis loves gruden but reluctancly had to fire him from constant pressure from Goodell. Gruden's son works for raiders and they all get along. 

Anyway, there's a court case  scheduled coming up November 7. 

Doubt we ever will truly know the behind the scenes corruption but they said the nfl is scared of gruden...... 

Should be interesting LoL

If it's in court it's public record.   If can't wait to see what happens.   I doubt the NFL is scared of Gruden, but will they give him an offer too good to refuse

My completely uninformed guess is Bill will step down as coach and remain as GM/vice president and will hire outside of his buddies.   The Patriot way doesn't work without BB.  His underlings have had very little success.   I don't see McDaniels getting the Pats job

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

If it's in court it's public record.   If can't wait to see what happens.   I doubt the NFL is scared of Gruden, but will they give him an offer too good to refuse

Not necessarily. The judge can seal the records, and anything discussed in mediation is often sealed automatically from public record. The only thing that is public record is the official filings and orders, anything else can be squashed and sealed 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, I think that’s possible, but Kraft might be pretty cautious to hire JM as the next HC.    It’s one think to hire JM as an OC, but HC?    So soon?    I think Kraft would be extra extra careful about that.   

I think other people who could be candidates would be Bill O’Brien,  Denico Ryan in Houston, and maybe even Mike Vrabel.    Just thinking out loud.  

I thought Mike Vrabel might be the next Patriots head coach if the Titans let him go. I believe he is a good head coach, much more of a leader and head coach material than McDaniels. I am not a fan of O'Brien but he had success with the Texans. I can't see Kraft selecting McDaniels over those two.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I don't think NFL owners and GMs believe the ol third times the charm saying, so I will say he's done as a head coach.

His only chance is with the Pats. Maybe Edelman, Gronk, and Brady come out of retirement at age 50 or so, and demand he be their head coach.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dunk said:

I don't think NFL owners and GMs believe the ol third times the charm saying, so I will say he's done as a head coach.

His only chance is with the Pats. Maybe Edelman, Gronk, and Brady come out of retirement at age 50 or so, and demand he be their head coach.

That would be hilarious. haha

Be sure to vote in the poll.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dunk said:

I did I said he was done. 

Thanks for the invite.

Thank you. I wonder if you do not have access to the polls. I put up a multiple choice poll up top. @csmoparonce told me that he had never seen a poll. I wonder if it is something with the settings. I think he was able to fix the problem..

• Like 1