Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

**Report** Surgery/Season Ender AR Likely

Indeee

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There are 4 QB's that have great potential, I don't use the word great much but you have Caleb Williams (if he comes out), Drake Maye, Micheal Penix, and Bo Nix. I see Harrison going somewhere in the top 5, not sure where because it will depend on the teams needs. Having said that, we won't even come close to picking in the top 10 so it is a moot point.

It's a long season, so u may want to brace yourself.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Absolutely. I said get ready for a rough ridee with Minshew. So far it had been cute, but u seriously have to look at qb if one is staring at u next year. Richardson cannot be counted on to stay healthy. 

well if he gets the surgery right now that would be over 6 months before 2024 draft. i have no medical background to know where that would put AR in his rehab but it should give the team a better idea of his return status.

what i dont want to see is the team and AR wait a month and then decide to have the surgery. if you have to pull the trigger, pull it now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It's a long season, so u may want to brace yourself.

We play at least 5 more teams that are worse than us. Yeah we are getting our butt's kicked today but the Jags are good. No way we pick in the top 10. 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Question for all. Would Ballard still sign Tsylor to an extension on Monday given what has happened to Ruchardson? I told u  guys he should have waited. 

Yes

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We play at least 5 more teams that are worse than us. Yeah we are getting our butt's kicked today but the Jags are good. No way we pick in the top 10. 

Yes

And why? Give me a reason why u would sign Taylor to an extension tomorrow if u r the GM in light of the current circumstances?

39 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

And why? Give me a reason why u would sign Taylor to an extension tomorrow if u r the GM in light of the current circumstances?

Because Taylor is the teams best offensive weapon.    And from the stories I’ve been reading the person who helped get Taylor to reconsider was Steichen.   He’s the person you were convinced didn’t want Taylor at all.   Turns out, he really did. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because Taylor is the teams best offensive weapon.    And from the stories I’ve been reading the person who helped get Taylor to reconsider was Steichen.   He’s the person you were convinced didn’t want Taylor at all.   Turns out, he really did. 

I didn't way he didn't want him a at all. I said for the price, I wasn't convinced Steichen would want him. If Steichen did push for it, then first it was Frank and now it appears Steichen is making key personnel decisions  based on store out there. Then what use is Ballard? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I didn't way he didn't want him a at all. I said for the price, I wasn't convinced Steichen would want him. If Steichen did push for it, then first it was Frank and now it appears Steichen is making key personnel decisions  based on store out there. Then what use is Ballard? 

Ballard works in conjunction with his head coach.   He tries to get him the players he wants.   Steichen isn’t doing anything on his own.   He works with Ballard, not independent of him.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Would Ballard still sign Tsylor to an extension on Monday given what has happened to Ruchardson?

I dont get why you keep repeating this, its irrelevant to signing JT.  The team has plenty of money and he got a reasonable 3 year deal. 

A healthy AR does not make them any more or less likely to pay JT, i really dont understand why you think it would.  You act like we should sit on unused cap space rather than pay someone, we do not have money problems though

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont get why you keep repeating this, its irrelevant to signing JT.  The team has plenty of money and he got a reasonable 3 year deal. 

A healthy AR does not make them any more or less likely to pay JT, i really dont understand why you think it would.

There is like 3 people in here that keep this up. I won't mention the other 2, I am too tired debating with those dudes. They can't get over it, odd IMO.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not the physiotherapist I talked to at work. He could be wrong but he said surgery to his throwing arms is not good. Fears he will never be the same.

I don't think it means he will not play well. He may just play differently. Did you know that shoulder injuries are one of the most common injuries to QBs? Many QBs have had shoulder surgeries and they have returned to play.

I hope he opts not to have surgery.  I don't think he should play again this year so that he has time to rehab it.

In our experience, type I–III AC joint injuries can be effectively treated non-operatively by initial protection in a sling followed by a progressive rehabilitation and strengthening program, with an expected return to play at 5–6 weeks post injury for more severe injuries. Operative treatment is typically recommended for type IV–VI injuries.

For detailed information, see:

Common Injuries in Professional Football Quarterbacks

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5825334/#CR10

Professional football quarterbacks are at particular risk for upper extremity injuries due to the physical demands of their position coupled with the inherent risks associated with professional football. This review sought to evaluate current clinical literature to better characterize the injury profile unique to this athletic population....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Damn I don't know about everyone else on here.  But I dont think a player like AR can come back from an injury like this and still be a franchise QB.  AR only played 13 college games.  Coming into the NFL he needed experience aka playing time.  AR getting surgery on his throwing shoulder is gonna set him back so far that I think it's gonna take him 2 years to get back to where he needs to be.  Minshew as we can see from today he is a backup for a reason.  Time to tank the season and draft a insurance policy QB hoping we pick top 3 this year somehow 

8 minutes ago, IanColts22 said:

Damn I don't know about everyone else on here.  But I dont think a player like AR can come back from an injury like this and still be a franchise QB.  AR only played 13 college games.  Coming into the NFL he needed experience aka playing time.  AR getting surgery on his throwing shoulder is gonna set him back so far that I think it's gonna take him 2 years to get back to where he needs to be.  Minshew as we can see from today he is a backup for a reason.  Time to tank the season and draft a insurance policy QB hoping we pick top 3 this year somehow 

if we play like we did today again we wont have to tank to get a top 5 pick

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, IanColts22 said:

Why would missing a few weeks put him back 2 years? Does the shoulder injury make AR forget what he's learned in his short time as a Colt?

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You don’t tank for a WR lol. That’s for losers. Losing breeds losing.

Right.  And who wants to watch a team tank? Do people not remember how bad last year sucked to watch? Or the year Peyton was injured? Or the Harbaugh year where we went 1-15? Some of the years in the 80s and 90s where we were lucky to win 3 games? Tanking may be better in THEORY for the franchise, but it sucks to watch as a fan.  

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Question for all. Would Ballard still sign Tsylor to an extension on Monday given what has happened to Ruchardson? I told u  guys he should have waited. 

Here was my issue with the Taylor signing, even before AR got hurt - Right now, all of our top paid players are people that don't play at premium/most valuable positions.  Most good teams have most of their money tied up in their QB, WRs, DEs, CB, and a good LT. Our highest paid players are at guard, LB and RB.  It doesn't matter if you have the best guard in the league, you don't pay him an insane amount of money because his position isn't nearly as valuable as a LT, and it leaves less money available for the positions that matter the most.  Long term that is not a recipe for a Super Bowl contender.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have signed Taylor, but at some point Ballard has to start spending big money on the positions that matter the most.  I think it would be fine to sign Taylor if we also cut out some of the fat at positions that aren't as valuable in today's league, and start paying good money for WRs, CB, DE and LT. Part of me wonders if Ballard has trouble transitioning to what is important in today's league.  For example, 20 years ago good linebackers were one of the most valuable positions on defense and were paid accordingly.  That isn't the case anymore.  WRs weren't nearly as valuable as they are now, because the league wasn't nearly as pass happy as it is today.  Some GMs are still stuck in the old school thought of "building from the trenches" and working your way out, and I don't think that mentality works in today's NFL.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

A healthy AR does not make them any more or less likely to pay JT, i really dont understand why you think it would.  You act like we should sit on unused cap space rather than pay someone, we do not have money problems though

I don't think he thinks we should sit on unused cap space.  He may think that in today's NFL, paying a top 5 WR is better for the team than paying a top 5 RB.  I would have to agree.  I didn't have a problem with the JT signing, but I think Ballard needs to start paying other positions that are the most valuable in today's NFL, like WR, DE, CB, a good LT.  I think the Taylor signing would be fine in a vacuum, but right now our highest paid players are at LB, GUARD, and RB.  This isn't the 90s, and not how Super Bowl champs are built anymore. Certain positions are much more valuable than others in today's NFL, and if you're paying top dollar for non premium positions, you can't pay top dollar for the positions that matter the most.  

Overall I'm fine with the JT signing by itself, but I'd like to see Ballard get rid of some of the fat being paid out to  non premium positions, and start paying some WRs, CBs and DEs.  For example, even when Shaq was a beast, I didn't think he was worth the money that he was paid.  Yeah, he was the best player at his position, but his position isn't as valuable as a shut down corner or a DE that constantly wreaks havoc on the QB.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

I don't think he thinks we should sit on unused cap space.  He may think that in today's NFL, paying a top 5 WR is better for the team than paying a top 5 RB.  I would have to agree.  I didn't have a problem with the JT signing, but I think Ballard needs to start paying other positions that are the most valuable in today's NFL, like WR, DE, CB, a good LT.  I think the Taylor signing would be fine in a vacuum, but right now our highest paid players are at LB, GUARD, and RB.  This isn't the 90s, and not how Super Bowl champs are built anymore. Certain positions are much more valuable than others in today's NFL, and if you're paying top dollar for non premium positions, you can't pay top dollar for the positions that matter the most.  

Overall I'm fine with the JT signing by itself, but I'd like to see Ballard get rid of some of the fat being paid out to  non premium positions, and start paying some WRs, CBs and DEs.  For example, even when Shaq was a beast, I didn't think he was worth the money that he was paid.  Yeah, he was the best player at his position, but his position isn't as valuable as a shut down corner or a DE that constantly wreaks havoc on the QB.  

You also have to have the premium players.  Since Ballard has been here what premium WR, DE, CB, or LT has he let walk?  He did pay both Gilmore and AC so he has no problem paying those positions if the right guy is there.  The Colts just haven’t had them to pay outside of AC (although Paye, Dayo, Pittman and Raimann might change that).  Now I’ll listen to argument that’s an issue with drafting that’s true.  Ballard isn’t perfect.  I just don’t think it’s that he’s not willing to pay premium positions he just paying his best players which he has said he would do from day one.  I am not counting free agency because teams don’t let superstar ends, CBs, LT, or WR get to free agency.  I will say he picked wrong when bet on Fischer and not Leno.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You also have to have the premium players.  Since Ballard has been here what premium WR, DE, CB, or LT has he let walk?  He did pay both Gilmore and AC so he has no problem paying those positions if the right guy is there.  The Colts just haven’t had them to pay outside of AC (although Paye, Dayo, Pittman and Raimann might change that).  Now I’ll listen to argument that’s an issue with drafting that’s true.  Ballard isn’t perfect.  I just don’t think it’s that he’s not willing to pay premium positions he just paying his best players which he has said he would do from day one.  I am not counting free agency because teams don’t let superstar ends, CBs, LT, or WR get to free agency.  I will say he picked wrong when bet on Fischer and not Leno.  

Good points.  I'm not a Ballard "hater" by any means.  I don't think he's been amazing, but I also think the Colts could do a lot worse.  

17 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Good points.  I'm not a Ballard "hater" by any means.  I don't think he's been amazing, but I also think the Colts could do a lot worse.  

Yeah I don’t think you are.  I just more took your point to point out it’s not like Ballard is paying all these other guys over these premium positions.  He would pay them if he had them.  Now I’ll agree it’s his issue he hasn’t had these guys to pay for the most part (although he’s got some now their contracts just haven’t come up yet).  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kymd82222 said:

paying a top 5 WR is better for the team than paying a top 5 RB

We can still do that if we had one.  That argument doesnt make their comment make any more sense either.

They dont want to pay JT because AR is out so we can pay a WR?  With AR out no top WR will come here anyway...

16 hours ago, colts89 said:

Why would missing a few weeks put him back 2 years? Does the shoulder injury make AR forget what he's learned in his short time as a Colt?

I believe it’s losing this year and taking next year to fully recover physically and get back to where he is growing in the offense. Granted that’s if he has season ending surgery. Missing a few weeks would not have a long term effect. 

17 hours ago, colts89 said:

Two years is extreme but it’s not that he’s going to forget what he learned it’s what he’s not going to learn by not playing the rest of the year that will set him back.  Again, two years is probably a little much.

21 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Talented players is a good thing not a bad thing.

No opposing coordinators game plan for cap space. Haha 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Even if it would, what's the point of the question? Should the team have foreseen that Richardson might miss the rest of the year, and then choose not to extend JT on that basis?

It's just a post-hoc criticism from a poster that doesn't respect reality.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is like 3 people in here that keep this up. I won't mention the other 2, I am too tired debating with those dudes. They can't get over it, odd IMO.

Its more weird than odd imo. ....or maybe there's a bet in Vegas where there's a over/under on cap space :funny:

Not sure how the rest of the season plays out with Minshew and how high of a pick we get. But after seeing how AR reacts to NFL hits,  if the very slim chance we get an opportunity to draft Williams or May comes true it needs to be seriously considered IMO anyways.