Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

**Report** Surgery/Season Ender AR Likely

Indeee

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know anything either, but I'm assuming they think it would be helpful to get it repaired. One of those things where rehab might get you mostly squared away, but there could be lingering effects, versus surgery would correct the defect. But surgery is a longer time frame, and has its own risks and concerns.

There's a waiver covered in the CBA, and each player has to sign it every season. It's Appendix S in the CBA, and allows disclosure of information for injury reports.

But in your scenario, I think the player has to make a reasonable and honest effort to recover from injury for any guaranteed money to be paid out. It would probably be covered under the grievance section of the CBA. I don't think the team can require any specific course of action related to injury recovery.

Interestingly, it's possible for a person to not repair a torn ACL, and the body learns to compensate. DeJuan Blair had a decent college and NBA career with no ACLs in either knee. Just a side thought, since you mentioned ACL specifically. 

Wow no ACLs.   Just read a little about that.  Don't remember hearing about it.  Article said everything else compensated for it.  

I doubt that is the preferred way to go about becoming an NBA player though.  Article said they tried to repair them in HS and they deteriorated and his body compensated for it.  

You can do all kinds of stuff with torn ACLs.  Those really don't need to be repaired in most cases for everyday life, but with the exception of Dejuan Blair apparently, they tend to come in handy for pro athletes. 

My question really is how much influence is the club allowed on this type of thing?

In ARs case, he is a young dude and if it's up to him, who knows what he would choose.

I certainly don't pretend to understand anything about why or why not surgery here, but using basic reasoning skills like you have concluded that the surgery prospect/effectiveness is not clear.

9 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

I know he(AR) appears to be injury prone in every game he plays, I am concern too.  If we end up in the top ten in the draft in 2024? Should we end up moving up and draft Caleb? Just saying.

I doubt the colts give up on Richardson unless he is permanently affected by this injury.

25 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Wow no ACLs.   Just read a little about that.  Don't remember hearing about it.  Article said everything else compensated for it.  

I doubt that is the preferred way to go about becoming an NBA player though.  Article said they tried to repair them in HS and they deteriorated and his body compensated for it.  

You can do all kinds of stuff with torn ACLs.  Those really don't need to be repaired in most cases for everyday life, but with the exception of Dejuan Blair apparently, they tend to come in handy for pro athletes. 

My question really is how much influence is the club allowed on this type of thing?

In ARs case, he is a young dude and if it's up to him, who knows what he would choose.

I certainly don't pretend to understand anything about why or why not surgery here, but using basic reasoning skills like you have concluded that the surgery prospect/effectiveness is not clear.

Blair is definitely not typical. You just reminded me of it.

I think the club could probably tell a player that they aren't going to let him play until they think he's 100%. In the old days, that might mean a quick IR designation, because there was no return, so you might as well take the more conservative route and come back next year. Maybe it's a little harder to use that as a hammer with the new rules. But they can still shut him down for the year, and it would probably require some union intervention to change the team's mind.

Like you, I don't know much. Just seems like the Colts would be super cautious with their potential franchise QB, especially the way the year has gone so far, knowing the team isn't that good, and knowing how the Luck situation went. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the club could probably tell a player that they aren't going to let him play until they think he's 100%. In the old days, that might mean a quick IR designation, because there was no return, so you might as well take the more conservative route and come back next year. Maybe it's a little harder to use that as a hammer with the new rules. But they can still shut him down for the year, and it would probably require some union intervention to change the team's mind.

Something like, "Well Anthony, since you won't be playing again this year . . ."  The thing I was saying about the other injuries is there really isn't a choice.  You either repair them or you can't play NFL level football in most cases.  With ARs situation, apparently it's not cut and dried. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Like you, I don't know much. Just seems like the Colts would be super cautious with their potential franchise QB, especially the way the year has gone so far, knowing the team isn't that good, and knowing how the Luck situation went. 

Shoulders are complex.  When you use the shouder to throw footballs for a living, then the stakes are pretty hight.

The risk/reward factor here must be muddled, but I think you and others have said, that surely Ole Jimmy didn't jump the gun on this one.  My guess is that they are prepping him to be worked on. 

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Something like, "Well Anthony, since you won't be playing again this year . . ."  The thing I was saying about the other injuries is there really isn't a choice.  You either repair them or you can't play NFL level football in most cases.  With ARs situation, apparently it's not cut and dried. 

Agreed. There's obviously some grey area. Although I think for them to be confident enough for Irsay to go on the record now probably indicates that it's more 80/20 than 50/50.

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Shoulders are complex.  When you use the shouder to throw footballs for a living, then the stakes are pretty hight.

The risk/reward factor here must be muddled, but I think you and others have said, that surely Ole Jimmy didn't jump the gun on this one.  My guess is that they are prepping him to be worked on. 

Yeah, unless something unexpected happens in the next couple days -- like, a Biblical miracle -- he's having the surgery.

Just now, Superman said:

Agreed. There's obviously some grey area. Although I think for them to be confident enough for Irsay to go on the record now probably indicates that it's more 80/20 than 50/50.

Yeah, unless something unexpected happens in the next couple days -- like, a Biblical miracle -- he's having the surgery.

support joluijten GIF by Squirrel Monkey

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 1:15 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here it comes, the usual negative nelly's ready to pour it on, I am surprised @Rhodelesstraveledisn't here, he hasn't been here all week when we won last week. He will be here shortly, telling us how much we suck.

Team has played better with Minshew.  I've said he needed to be the starter from day one.  The season outcome will be what I thought it is.  You are a fan and I am into reality.  

On 10/16/2023 at 10:50 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In 2024, he will have a good year. I am pretty sure of it. Nothing is a given because of health but we have a good roster, and he does have a little bit of NFL experience now as well. 

Cam Newton was never the same after they opened up his shoulder.  AR and Cam are not equivalent but their game play is.  Running QBs have a shelf life and AR shelf life might be a lot shorter than we all think now.  

2 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Team has played better with Minshew.  I've said he needed to be the starter from day one.  The season outcome will be what I thought it is.  You are a fan and I am into reality.  

I am a fan and into reality - you can be both. My weekly picks speak for themselves, that shows right there I know what I am talking about. For 3 years now I have been picking around 63% of my games right on the weekly picks thread we do in here. Just because I picked the Colts to win 8 games this year (which still isn't many), doesn't make me picking more as a fan. I really believed they could win 8 games after looking at our schedule and that pick was before AR got injured. That was my before season pick. By the way I picked the Ravens to win the SB before the season, that is aging well right now.

On 10/30/2023 at 7:39 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am a fan and into reality - you can be both. My weekly picks speak for themselves, that shows right there I know what I am talking about. For 3 years now I have been picking around 63% of my games right on the weekly picks thread we do in here. Just because I picked the Colts to win 8 games this year (which still isn't many), doesn't make me picking more as a fan. I really believed they could win 8 games after looking at our schedule and that pick was before AR got injured. That was my before season pick. By the way I picked the Ravens to win the SB before the season, that is aging well right now.

Yeah, my pre-season guess was about 6 wins. It will be somewhere between 5 - 7 and I figure that would be the case even with AR in the lineup. IMO, that is underperforming the talent we have (which obviously needs to be better than it is), but recent history shows that the Colts consistently underperform their talent level. I think I know why.