Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

**Report** Surgery/Season Ender AR Likely

Indeee

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lamar had 3 years

Just strengthens our point for not having enough film/injury history on a raw prospect. But the coaches and the player are all learning on the fly and there is short term pain now, hopefully the long term gain is realized by year 3 of AR starting.

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Can we stop Richardson is made of glass. Stafford hurt his AC joint three times his first two years. Had surgery finally and never hurt it again in 8 years. Stafford is a pocket passer by the way. This same injury is very common with QB. It has nothing to do with him running. He could of injured it in the pocket just as easily. I think some of you just never wanted him and are now trying to say I was right.

I wanted and am glad we drafted him. That hasn't changed .Don't forget, You were VERY anti AR and wanted Levis.

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That being said as a Colts fan I am not sure how one could be "unconcerned" with AR's health going forward since he has gotten injured in every NFL game he's played thus far and only finished one.   They were all different injuries too.

I'm not as concerned as the majority of fans here seem to be, maybe that's a necessary qualifying statement. Some people are way overboard, IMO.

As for his health going forward, I said after the concussion game, he's going to learn his lesson, or he won't. He's been throwing his body around with reckless abandon, and I don't care who you are, that's going to cost you in the NFL. Especially as a QB, because defenders love to hit QBs, and because QBs have to judge whether to make a business decision or to try to make play. His judgment is skewed so far. Especially against the Titans, he just has to be more aware of the situation and where the defenders are.

I think I totally agree with your assessment of AR.  He's getting all this praise about how "great" he's been and he's been less that starter material by most statistical measures.  He currently has a 45 QBR according to ESPN, and one of the worst passer ratings of NFL starters.

I agree that he still has a lot to work on, and again, people are a little effusive in their praise so far. But what we've seen is that his ability will translate to the NFL, and that was one of the big question marks. I'm nowhere near as bearish on his ability to be an effective passer as you are, though.

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Relax CHloe.  Breathe in/  Breathe out.

YEs I'm serious.  AR has played less than 3 games quarter wise and has 25 rushing attempts.  That's almost 10 a game.  That's a ton for a QB.

Your acting like he was horrible when he okayed. He was very very good. No the designed runs was something like 16 in 4 games.  You don’t count scrambles. It was only his second designed run when he got hurt. Ten a game is kind of hillarious and you might have a point if that was true.

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Also like Steichen said today they want to make sure this does not happen again which is why surgery might be the best option so he doesn’t hurt it again next season. Especially when he has had this injury before. 

He has been more accurate then college BTW

Maybe, but a lot of people are conflating accuracy and completion percentage.  They are not the same thing.  One can have a very high completion percentage and still be an inaccurate passer. 

There is no serious debate about this BTW.  AR is and was inaccurate as a thrower of NFL footballs.

I've been a tepid advocate of doing the zone read thing like other teams are experimenting with again and liked some of what I saw with AR running it BTW.

7 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I wanted and am glad we drafted him. That hasn't changed .Don't forget, You were VERY anti AR and wanted Levis.

I never said I wanted Levis. I just thought that was the smarter decision because of where the team was at.  But Richardson was the right decision. He was more ready then anyone thought.

Think about the possibility of getting the #1 pick like this:  we had the same record at this point last year, finished as poorly as you possibly could, and still needed some miraculous plays against us the final game to jump from #6 to #4.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think his inaccuracy is a little overblown. He'll never be Drew Brees, but he's also not Derek Anderson. Richardson has a higher baseline for being an accurate passer than Josh Allen did, IMO, based on what we've seen so far.

But I agree with the main point, which is if you're not going to weaponize his athletic ability then you're not going to get a high enough level of QB play.

I think completion percentage might be overblown.  But his inaccuracy even when throwing on air at the combine to the boundary really struck me.  

Teams would not pick a guy like him that high with that issue without the size and athleticism.  

I like the way you put weaponize athletic ability. 

7 minutes ago, #12. said:

Think about the possibility of getting the #1 pick like this:  we had the same record at this point last year, finished as poorly as you possibly could, and still needed some miraculous plays against us the final game to jump from #6 to #4.

I agree. There’s a real chance one of the bottom teams right now goes 1-16 or 2-15. There’s some really bad play going on league wide. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think completion percentage might be overblown.  But his inaccuracy even when throwing on air at the combine to the boundary really struck me.  

Teams would not pick a guy like him that high with that issue without the size and athleticism.  

I like the way you put weaponize athletic ability. 

Yeah, my comments about accuracy are definitely not based on completion percentage. They weren't before the draft, and they never will be. Josh Allen is the biggest example of drastically improved accuracy, and he still backslides from time to time. I think Richardson's accuracy will always be an issue. But I think it gets overstated at times.

Totally agree with the bolded. I think the lack of experience alone probably takes him off of the board for a handful of teams, at least in the first round. He's probably the most raw QB prospect to go at the top of the draft, ever. It's all about the potential with him, and that potential is closely tied to his physical ability.

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not as concerned as the majority of fans here seem to be, maybe that's a necessary qualifying statement. Some people are way overboard, IMO.

As for his health going forward, I said after the concussion game, he's going to learn his lesson, or he won't. He's been throwing his body around with reckless abandon, and I don't care who you are, that's going to cost you in the NFL. Especially as a QB, because defenders love to hit QBs, and because QBs have to judge whether to make a business decision or to try to make play. His judgment is skewed so far. Especially against the Titans, he just has to be more aware of the situation and where the defenders are.

I agree that he still has a lot to work on, and again, people are a little effusive in their praise so far. But what we've seen is that his ability will translate to the NFL, and that was one of the big question marks. I'm nowhere near as bearish on his ability to be an effective passer as you are, though.

I'm bearish on his ability to be an effective passer if he isn't using the wheels.  I'm not bearish on him having a chance to be a good, possibly great, read-option/RPO QB.  I am totally hibernating on what some here seem to suggest and that is having few if any designed runs for the kid.  That won't work IMO.  Not at all.  He is not good enough of a dart player for that to work and I don't see him getting better enough at darts over guys that are already really good at throwing darts. 

If he can run and stay healthy we might have something here.   IF not.  I don't see it at all.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, #12. said:

Although I do think wins r going to be very hard for the next 11 games.  I don't think they will slide enough to catch many or the teams ahead of them. They are currently picking number 13. There are some pretty bad teams in the top 10, and u could argue all 10 teams need a qb.

38 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I never said I wanted Levis. I just thought that was the smarter decision because of where the team was at.  But Richardson was the right decision. He was more ready then anyone thought.

You were very anti AR, even on draft night. You said he had no business coming out early and was doing it just for the money. ( which they all are)

Wins aren’t easy in the NFL, it takes a substantial amount of success in all phases of the game from front office down to special teams players to put together a winning recipe. Even the greatest coach BB can’t put things together at this time in NE. I think Brady would not have been as successful without BB and vice versa but no question that TB has the edge in that argument.

We’ve got two rookies on the field in the most important places…HC and QB. It’ll take time to put it altogether. What worries me is Ballards philosophy of getting the right guys on the field.

in other news Reich finally turned over his playcalling duties to his OC (https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-head-coach-frank-reich-hands-over-play-calling-duties-to-offensive-coor) even he finally figured out the right thing to do. So I’m confident that our coach and team will put together a competitive team by next year. Ballard I believe will be toast after next year if the results are tepid.

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You were very anti AR, even on draft night. You said he had no business coming out early and was doing it just for the money. ( which they all are)

No you just misunderstood or I wasn’t very good getting my point across. Which sometimes happens to me. I am not very good at expressing things.  Or putting things into correct words.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

I'm bearish on his ability to be an effective passer if he isn't using the wheels.  I'm not bearish on him having a chance to be a good, possibly great, read-option/RPO QB.  I am totally hibernating on what some here seem to suggest and that is having few if any designed runs for the kid.  That won't work IMO.  Not at all.  He is not good enough of a dart player for that to work and I don't see him getting better enough at darts over guys that are already really good at throwing darts. 

If he can run and stay healthy we might have something here.   IF not.  I don't see it at all.  

I really like what I’ve seen from him in the pocket, and he’s nowhere near his ceiling.  And without the designed run aspect, he’ll always have a great awareness in the pocket with tremendous escapability.  You can also still have some designed runs and not put yourself in bad positions.  His best runs garnered over 10 yards before contact.  I’ll take 10 yards with a slide at the end any day.  The question is whether he can learn to give up when it’s not there.  Regardless, I think we give him more than 10 quarters before assessing his career trajectory.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Breeze said:

I really like what I’ve seen from him in the pocket, and he’s nowhere near his ceiling.  And without the designed run aspect, he’ll always have a great awareness in the pocket with tremendous escapability.  You can also still have some designed runs and not put yourself in bad positions.  His best runs garnered over 10 yards before contact.  I’ll take 10 yards with a slide at the end any day.  The question is whether he can learn to give up when it’s not there.  Regardless, I think we give him more than 10 quarters before assessing his career trajectory.  

Agree on the sliding.  I think the shoulder injury was in a called run too.  It was totally shut down and he needs to give himself up in that case too. Even though it goes for no gain.

he feels the pocket pressure .  But I don’t think he will ever be a good nfl QB without liberal use of the wheels.  He doesn’t have the accuracy to be a pocket guy.

1 hour ago, Breeze said:

But you are assessing his career trajectory lol.  

17 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah, just saw this reported.  Wow.  He was so incredibly exciting to watch, even when we lost.  I hope this doesn't turn out like last season did.  In the long run it may be better for the franchise because we would get a higher draft pick, but I never ever root for my team to lose.  

14 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

It sucks it really does. However, I think surgery is the right move and better for the long run. I said it on another post but I think the reason they’ll elect for surgery is to make sure this issue is fixed and rehabbed correctly. I’m convinced part of why this happened is because the last time he hurt his shoulder it didn’t heal right. 

Schefty even said on Pats show today something along these lines. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

It sucks it really does. However, I think surgery is the right move and better for the long run. I said it on another post but I think the reason they’ll elect for surgery is to make sure this issue is fixed and rehabbed correctly. I’m convinced part of why this happened is because the last time he hurt his shoulder it didn’t heal right. 

Schefty even said on Pats show today something along these lines. 

Adam mentioned this today on pats show. Said there might of been something in there that didn’t heal from the last time. They will basically wrap it and less likely it will happen again.

6 hours ago, #12. said:

Yeah but I don’t think the Bears are capable of winning three games.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly can't believe anyone would think we could even pick in the top 5 at this point. Even 6 wins has you around 7th or 8th more than likely. 

Yeah there’s some really awful teams. I just want the Pats to win enough so they don’t get Caleb Willams lol.

• Like 3