Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Shane Steichen

bluephantom87

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

His biggest task going forward is putting Richardson in good situations that will limit him getting hit. Maybe no more designed runs unless Richardson sees a great opportunity for it pre-snap. 

That, a crucial 3rd/4th down or goal line. That’s it. Also, take the FG sometimes. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

His biggest task going forward is putting Richardson in good situations that will limit him getting hit. Maybe no more designed runs unless Richardson sees a great opportunity for it pre-snap. 

I think moving forward Shane will adjust on the designed runs. He has a history of making adjustments. I think Ballard nailed this hire. Shane giving Sporano the o-line coaching job is already paying dividends. This team is building a tough no nonsense culture. That "be patient and trust the process" has been replaced with we're going to play hard and you're going to have to beat us till the game is over!

• Like 5

I think what’s most impressive about Shane is that for the most part he took the same team frank has had for the last 5 years, doing it with a rookie and a backup QB. So really, those saying frank needed more players to be successful were quite wrong. It’s early, but I like what I’m seeing now. Frank is also winless right now which is also a huge indication that we’ve had the wrong guy for the last several years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wanted him to kick the FG at the end of the first half. He called a great play, Granson got held by the defender and it wasn't called, and Minshew could have given him a better pass. Still, with no timeouts, the clock so low, and deep in the red zone, you're basically giving the team one shot to score a TD. Take the points, IMO.

I also think it was a no-brainer to kick at the end of the game. Getting a first would have ended the game, but the FG made it a seven point game. The Titans don't have a great QB, they're average offensively, and our defense was playing well. Ironically, if we had kicked the FG in the first half, maybe we're already up by 7, and now it makes more sense to think about going for it.

But I like the fake outs, sprint out of the huddle, force timeouts, etc. We're probably going to get a defender to jump offsides, or catch a team in a bad alignment. Just as long as we don't force it.

If we were up by 7 I'd still kick the fg.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I think what’s most impressive about Shane is that for the most part he took the same team frank has had for the last 5 years, doing it with a rookie and a backup QB. So really, those saying frank needed more players to be successful were quite wrong. It’s early, but I like what I’m seeing now. Frank is also winless right now which is also a huge indication that we’ve had the wrong guy for the last several years. 

I wonder how much Frank adversely affected our draft choices? It is obvious that his play calling adversely affected our team and its ability to score points. He might be a nice guy, but he's not a good head football coach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

I want to give Shane some praise. I know he is a rookie hc that will grow but he has instilled some grit into this team. I remember Z Franklin saying that Shane was a "dawg" who was very competitive and HATED to lose which is very refreshing from the typical long list of mild mannered head coaches who have worn that hat for the Colts. All were GOOD guys but seemed to lack a sense of URGENCY.

No one gave this team ANY shot this season but COACHING matters! The raw unpolished AR is developing into a star after only 13 career college starts. Now with that being said on the early injuries I think he hasn't LEARNED on a consistent basis yet HOW to protect himself where it becomes natural and that should come with experience. Remember Jalen Hurts had years of high level college play under his belt so the AR pairing with Shane will not be at that level YET but you can definitely see the potential with AR's skillset. Gardner (best backup qb period) Minshew wanted to follow Shane after being in his system for two seasons as a backup stating that Shane will structure around what you do best and trust in you as a player but will also hold you accountable. (see Deon Jackson)

Some on this board have compared Shane to Frank as far as not taking the points by going for it on 4th downs. I always felt that Frank did it simply because that's what he saw Doug Pederson as hc / playcaller in Philly do to some success. Frank really had no plan for a high success rate because the prior ran 3rd down play would usually be lackluster at best only to be followed by something like Hines up the middle from tight formation on 4th and 2 against a STACKED box. Jeeesh

Shane against the Jags ran a play on 4th and INCHES with a play that he made so successful in Philly that some teams wanted banned. On a whole he's been TAKING the points since. (see Ravens game) I had no problem yesterday with the call because the play design was awesome and if Minshew doesn't short arm the throw Granson WALKS in with a wide open td!!! Shane rode that aggressive mentality to a SB as a playcaller. Shane's aggressive offensive style won Justine Herbert ROY as qb with a designed PASSING offense then turned around and designed an RPO type offense for Jalen Hurts that had him as a league MVP candidate as well as a SB participant that outplayed Patrick Mahomes in a close loss. We don't have Philly's talent YET but this team is in good hands with Shane moving forward. Go Colts!

I concur!!

Well said!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

I want to give Shane some praise. I know he is a rookie hc that will grow but he has instilled some grit into this team. I remember Z Franklin saying that Shane was a "dawg" who was very competitive and HATED to lose which is very refreshing from the typical long list of mild mannered head coaches who have worn that hat for the Colts. All were GOOD guys but seemed to lack a sense of URGENCY.

No one gave this team ANY shot this season but COACHING matters! The raw unpolished AR is developing into a star after only 13 career college starts. Now with that being said on the early injuries I think he hasn't LEARNED on a consistent basis yet HOW to protect himself where it becomes natural and that should come with experience. Remember Jalen Hurts had years of high level college play under his belt so the AR pairing with Shane will not be at that level YET but you can definitely see the potential with AR's skillset. Gardner (best backup qb period) Minshew wanted to follow Shane after being in his system for two seasons as a backup stating that Shane will structure around what you do best and trust in you as a player but will also hold you accountable. (see Deon Jackson)

Some on this board have compared Shane to Frank as far as not taking the points by going for it on 4th downs. I always felt that Frank did it simply because that's what he saw Doug Pederson as hc / playcaller in Philly do to some success. Frank really had no plan for a high success rate because the prior ran 3rd down play would usually be lackluster at best only to be followed by something like Hines up the middle from tight formation on 4th and 2 against a STACKED box. Jeeesh

Shane against the Jags ran a play on 4th and INCHES with a play that he made so successful in Philly that some teams wanted banned. On a whole he's been TAKING the points since. (see Ravens game) I had no problem yesterday with the call because the play design was awesome and if Minshew doesn't short arm the throw Granson WALKS in with a wide open td!!! Shane rode that aggressive mentality to a SB as a playcaller. Shane's aggressive offensive style won Justine Herbert ROY as qb with a designed PASSING offense then turned around and designed an RPO type offense for Jalen Hurts that had him as a league MVP candidate as well as a SB participant that outplayed Patrick Mahomes in a close loss. We don't have Philly's talent YET but this team is in good hands with Shane moving forward. Go Colts!

Panthers fans are currently lamenting Reich for not being fiery enough and for being too much of a players’ coach. Reich seems like a great guy, but he could just never get the guys energized like Steichen can, from what I’ve seen so far

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I wanted him to kick the FG at the end of the first half. He called a great play, Granson got held by the defender and it wasn't called, and Minshew could have given him a better pass. Still, with no timeouts, the clock so low, and deep in the red zone, you're basically giving the team one shot to score a TD. Take the points, IMO.

I also think it was a no-brainer to kick at the end of the game. Getting a first would have ended the game, but the FG made it a seven point game. The Titans don't have a great QB, they're average offensively, and our defense was playing well. Ironically, if we had kicked the FG in the first half, maybe we're already up by 7, and now it makes more sense to think about going for it.

But I like the fake outs, sprint out of the huddle, force timeouts, etc. We're probably going to get a defender to jump offsides, or catch a team in a bad alignment. Just as long as we don't force it.

I see your point about leaving no room for error right before halftime but I think the AR injury played a part in the decision by trying to put as much distance between the two teams. I was just in awe of the actual playcall that seemed to catch the Titans off guard. Like you said he took the fg at the end of the game which I too thought was a no brainer. 

2 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Also, take the FG sometimes. 

Someone really needs to have a talk with the guy. If we were an offensive juggernaut I’d admire the moxy a little more, but we’re still not a threat to convert on a 4th and 3 or less yet. When he goes for it on 4th and 7 in FG range when the offense only picked up 3 yards in the previous 3 plays it’s awfully silly. 

I also did not agree with the call to forgo the points yesterday and for for the 1st down instead of the chip shot FG.

It didn’t come back to haunt us yesterday, but it absolutely did the week before. I hope he can build us up to where we can tote our balls onto the field with wheelbarrows on 4th down, but we’re not there yet. We’re a really long way away, really. 

Overall I’m happy. his offense is different and refreshing. Especially after having frank and his 50 year old book you’ve read 9,000 times offense. 

I really like when he does stuff to make the other team burn a timeout. You can bet teams are now having to divert their attention leading up to a game towards covering any shenanigans like that he pulls. One of these days he’s going to be able to run something because teams will get used to countering the switch but they won’t expect the play to be run. When Shane finally greenlights a snap in one of these situations I think it’s gonna be a real fun play. 

The only real gripe I have is the way he handles 4th down at times. Both the decisions, and the play calls are often… uninspiring… for a 4th down play call. And it’s a problem because we’re going for it on 4th down at the 5th highest rate in the league while we’re only converting them at the 30th highest rate in the league. Top 5 in attempts and bottom 5 in conversions is not a recipe for success long-term. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Someone really needs to have a talk with the guy. If we were an offensive juggernaut I’d admire the moxy a little more, but we’re still not a threat to convert on a 4th and 3 or less yet. When he goes for it on 4th and 7 in FG range when the offense only picked up 3 yards in the previous 3 plays it’s awfully silly. 

I also did not agree with the call to forgo the points yesterday and for for the 1st down instead of the chip shot FG.

It didn’t come back to haunt us yesterday, but it absolutely did the week before. I hope he can build us up to where we can tote our balls onto the field with wheelbarrows on 4th down, but we’re not there yet. We’re a really long way away, really. 

It easily could have come back to haunt us yesterday. Let’s say Blackmon didn’t get the int, and Hopkins scored. We’d have been in a 2pt conversion situation most likely. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

how many times did the Colts score 20 points last season? 

Under Frank, not enough. Being Frank, Frank will continue to be a problem. Shane may make rookie coaching mistakes, but he's far and away better than Frank Reich.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chickenMan said:

Panthers fans are currently lamenting Reich for not being fiery enough and for being too much of a players’ coach. Reich seems like a great guy, but he could just never get the guys energized like Steichen can, from what I’ve seen so far

It just seems like the guy doesn't hate losing enough.  Watching his press conferences after every loss, it's like it doesn't bother him.  I see the same thing in his press conferences in Carolina. In addition to that, he wasn't a coach that makes adjustments. There's also no accountability with players that aren't carrying their weight.  For example, he NEVER would have sat Shaq in the final plays of a game to give us a better chance to win like Shane did.  He's a "player's coach" to a fault.  It's okay to be a player's coach to a degree, but you have to hold every player accountable for their play on the field, no matter who they are and how much they get paid.  

Anyway, I know the OP's post was supposed to be about Shane, sorry.  I love Shane.  Yes, there's been a few decisions he's made on the field that I don't like, but he's done great overall.  I love his game plans.  I love the fact that his offense tried to keep the defense on their toes and isn't predictable.  He holds everyone accountable, and I love that.  He's a rookie so there will be a learning curve, but he's been awesome overall.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Superman said:

That's fair. However, a first down ends the game, which is why Steichen even considered going for it there.

If we were up two scores I'm fine with going for it there, but one you are up 1 score you need to make it a two score game and put the pressure  on their offense

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If we were up two scores I'm fine with going for it there, but one you are up 1 score you need to make it a two score game and put the pressure  on their offense

Or you can get the first down and end the game.

I get your point, just stressing the rationale in going for it, and pointing out that Steichen was obviously considering it for that reason.

I'm enjoying Shane's running of the team.  I love the aggressive creativity on offense.  Before, you had a stoic coach thinking, "Hmmm....  It's 3rd and 2.  Why don't I run the play that the statistics say ought to work?  Yup.  We'll choose that one.  Again."  Instead, there are wrinkles upon wrinkles upon wrinkles.  Yes, we lined up that way before.  But we're gonna do something wild and creative with it!  And even if it doesn't work, it keeps 'em guessing.

The thing I'm enjoying most is that we are not giving up 4th quarter leads.  We're actually converting 3rd downs in the 4th quarter, keeping the ball, and the clock running.  We're not dropping back into a predictable prevent defense.  Nope!  This is our defense.  What we've been running all day.  Do your worst!  Try to beat us!

• Like 2

I will say this.... That last drive that ate up

7 mins and ended with a fg by Gay to put the Colts up by seven was textbook! It led to points but MORE importantly it only left about a minute of game time for the Titans to work with. It reminded me of that game against Philly with Shane as oc in which we led only to have the Eagles go on a long time consuming drive that ended with Jalen running up the gut for a game winning td that left almost no time on the clock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I get your point, just stressing the rationale in going for it, and pointing out that Steichen was obviously considering it for that reason.

Yea but if you don't get it  you put more pressure on defense  which is why we lost to the jags the first time. To aggressive  on 4th down and turnovers. I'd rather go up two scores incase they drive down and score so that you don't  have to worry about overtime. 

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He is type A. He and Ballard seem like an odd pair long term. I don't see their personalities matching all that well

Actuslly I think Steichen will be good for Ballard. Reich pretty much was just like whatever Ballard gives him he will be fine. Steichen I have a feeling will be much outspoken on what he needs.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kymd82222 said:

It just seems like the guy doesn't hate losing enough.  Watching his press conferences after every loss, it's like it doesn't bother him.  I see the same thing in his press conferences in Carolina. In addition to that, he wasn't a coach that makes adjustments. There's also no accountability with players that aren't carrying their weight.  For example, he NEVER would have sat Shaq in the final plays of a game to give us a better chance to win like Shane did.  He's a "player's coach" to a fault.  It's okay to be a player's coach to a degree, but you have to hold every player accountable for their play on the field, no matter who they are and how much they get paid.  

Anyway, I know the OP's post was supposed to be about Shane, sorry.  I love Shane.  Yes, there's been a few decisions he's made on the field that I don't like, but he's done great overall.  I love his game plans.  I love the fact that his offense tried to keep the defense on their toes and isn't predictable.  He holds everyone accountable, and I love that.  He's a rookie so there will be a learning curve, but he's been awesome overall.  

I agree with a rookie qb I think he should  take the points more often than being aggressive.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I get your point and there is more of an argument going for the second fourth down had they taken the three before halftime and I agree with you they should have kicked in the first half.  However, with only a minute left and no timeouts for the Titans going up 10 would have essentially ended the game as well.  Still your point stands there was at stronger case for going for it at the end had they kicked in the first half.  

What I love about the Shane hire is that we FINALLY hired a young rising offensive guru in the likes of a Shanahan, McVay and Mike McDaniel. Ultra competitive guys who are creative in running THEIR systems. Same with Ben Johnson of the Lions who is next in line. The only thing that Shane is missing right now that those other coaches ALREADY have is that EXPLOSIVE playmaking receiver or receivers like he had for Herbert in San Diego or what Hurts had at his disposal in Philly in which they ALMOST beat the Chiefs last season in the SB with Shane CALLING the plays.

Moving forward I totally expect to see a true wr1 to pair with Pittman (maybe) and the emerging Downs. Whether it's at the trade deadline (depending on where the team sits) or next season via the draft or FA because Shane by nature likes explosive plays and speaks on such but is also smart enough to work with what he has for now which is not bad. The foundation is being laid and whatever happens this season is ALL house money.

23 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He is type A. He and Ballard seem like an odd pair long term. I don't see their personalities matching all that well

Ballard hired him after a very long intensive search.Give him some credit. Would guess they have some things incommon or he wouldn't have hired him. My guess is they have a lot in common and will work great together.