Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts and star RB Jonathan Taylor have agreed to terms on a 3-year contract extension

ProblChld32

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Imo, too many fans worry about money that isn't theirs over acquiring/keeping talent and playmakers. 

In the NFL the pool of money is finite and pretty defined.  So “worrying about money that isn’t” mine is the same as worrying about “acquiring/keeping talent and playmakers.”

• Thanks 1

I’m so happy this got done. 
We’ll see if everyone wins now, especially those of us loyal fans.

We know JT and the Colts won.

I live in the ATL area now and hope the Christmas Eve game in the Benz will be 1 to remember.

We’ll have 4 generations there wearing Colts jerseys.

Freeney SB jersey, Nelson, Taylor, & Richardson jerseys.

Shore up the cb position and that’ll be sweeter than a Georgia Peach 🍑 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

No no.  Shane said JT was one of the reasons he took the job.   

JT and his team wanted a reported 4 year 15 per deal.   They settled for 3 for 12ish.   

He also said that he will coach him if/when he shows up. 

The 190 page thread was all about us speculating as to the cause of the rift, major drivers and minor drivers.....Nobody except the 5 or 6 people involved knew the facts, and we all know that nobody here knew them, and we all know the basis upon which we all form opinions and write comments.  Calling opinions right or wrong seems over the top to me, and deliberately argumentative.

And apparently, minds have changed about the drivers since then because it seems that JT has now taken the first multi-year commitment the Colts even offered.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually….  Based on the Irsay quote about living with this new contract for 4 years….  That takes JT thru 2026.   According to Spotrac, Taylor doesn’t become a free agent until 2027.    That means he could be locked up for the first 7 years of his career.   

JT is playing this year under the 4th and final year of his rookie contract.  He gets his signing bonus now, and then the new 3-year contract kicks in next year, 2024.   Then he becomes a free agent for the 2027 season.   Off the top of my head, he’ll be 28 that year.  

Now if the football Gods will just grant JT good health the Colts will live with him for four more years.  23, 24, 25 and 26.

Yes, but … in 2026 will JT and his agent again take a cruddy stance heading into the final year of the contract, like they did this year, or will he be of good attitude and play without complaint in 2026, honouring the final year of the contract, in the event he is not again immediately given an extension?  That’s my question to him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Yes, but … in 2026 will JT and his agent again take a cruddy stance heading into the final year of the contract, like they did this year, or will he be of good attitude and play without complaint in 2026, honouring the final year of the contract, in the event he is not again immediately given an extension?  That’s my question to him.

Let's get through 23/24 before we start a thread about Taylor's next contract, please.  :thmup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Who cares, odds are hell be out of his prime by then so let him walk

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, stitches said:

Because it goes against everything he's been saying all off-season. 

Okay. There could be many reasons why the Colts decided to change course. Perhaps they wanted JT to give in and since he did not, the Colts decided to give in. Maybe the Colts decision makers see they are a lot more competitive in the division than they expected, that JT gives them an even better chance to win, and wanted the distraction to go away. All speculation. It could be something else altogether.

One's decisions/actions often change when new information is presented or when circumstances change. I respect those willing to change their point of view and decisions based on new information.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

No no.  Shane said JT was one of the reasons he took the job.   

JT and his team wanted a reported 4 year 15 per deal.   They settled for 3 for 12ish.   

It was not reported officially by anyone or by any reputed sports media insider.

It was posted by a Twitter X account and got repeated like it's a fact so many times.

Let's stop doing that, or let's get to know who reported that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It was not reported officially by anyone or by any reputed sports media insider.

It was posted by a Twitter X account and got repeated like it's a fact so many times.

Let's stop doing that, or let's get to know who reported that. 

Yeah but it's so much easier to freak out :thmup:.

20 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, the agent doesn't come across as a professional.

More like he lucked into doing his dad's business. 

Lol. I did not see that you wrote that too (lack of professionalism). He reminds me a bit of Adrian Peterson's agent.

10 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I will be curious to see how the structure of the contract and when the guaranteed money runs out, and how quickly we can get out of the contract with no dead cap 

That’s the furthest thing from my mind.  There are more important things for the Colts to worry about now.  I’m happy he’s on board and looking forward to watching him play with AR and let’s see what magic Shane has up his sleeve for the remainder of the season.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Okay. There could be many reasons why the Colts decided to change course. Perhaps they wanted JT to give in and since he did not, the Colts decided to give in. Maybe the Colts decision makers see they are a lot more competitive in the division than they expected, that JT gives them an even better chance to win, and wanted the distraction to go away. All speculation. It could be something else altogether.

One's decisions/actions often change when new information is presented or when circumstances change. I respect those willing to change their point of view and decisions based on new information.

At this point I'm letting it go. I see this thing very different than most people here. And that's OK. I said what I wanted to say earlier and there is no point in regurgitating it. 

I don't mind the outcome as much as I mind the process of how we got here. Although... I'm not as in love with the outcome as many here too, but this probably has more to do with how I see RBs in general. Anyways... just like the Colts and JT are moving on, I'm moving on too... hope he kills it and justifies his new contract. Hope in 2025-2026 he's faking another injury for even bigger payday. :goodluck:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Who cares, odds are hell be out of his prime by then so let him walk

Yeah we know we got him through this year being happy and really in 2024 and in 25 before anyone has to worry about him complaining about anything. I am real focused on this year, not worried about what happens 3 years from now. 

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

All fair questions.   But that’s three years away.   Hopefully Taylor appreciates the Colts have stepped up big time in a way they didn’t have to.   The Colts have now assumed a higher level of risk than most teams seem willing to do these days.  

History may show Taylor getting one of the last great contracts that any running back ever receives again.   Perhaps only McCaffrey will get more….  

I hope this deal works out for both sides.  I always prefer win-win scenarios.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nickster said:

In the NFL the pool of money is finite and pretty defined.  So “worrying about money that isn’t” mine is the same as worrying about “acquiring/keeping talent and playmakers.”

The teams that go for it don't seem to have problems acquiring talent. The teams that don't go for it supply the teams that do go for it with talent. haha

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was close, I was saying for the last 2 months we should and probably would sign him for 3 years for 39 Mill, with 25 Mill guaranteed. He actually got 3 years for 42 mill, 26.5 guaranteed. I never thought he would be traded either. Now we can take care of business and put this silly distraction behind us. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Peter Griffin Dance GIF by Family Guy

59 minutes ago, stitches said:

At this point I'm letting it go. I see this thing very different than most people here. And that's OK. I said what I wanted to say earlier and there is no point in regurgitating it. 

I don't mind the outcome as much as I mind the process of how we got here. Although... I'm not as in love with the outcome as many here too, but this probably has more to do with how I see RBs in general. Anyways... just like the Colts and JT are moving on, I'm moving on too... hope he kills it and justifies his new contract. Hope in 2025-2026 he's faking another injury for even bigger payday. :goodluck:

I don't mind the process (tough tactics) as much as the outcome.

Likely only fully guaranteed money with the signing bonus and for 2024.

Some dead cap also if we move on after 24.

Moss wouldn't survive much longer with all these snaps and that would have made us to easy to defend, leaving AR under pressure to run too much.

That alone is reason enough to get the best deal the Colts could get, to let Taylor take the beating while making life safer for AR.

I have said before that the colts should have waited to see if he is the same player he was and then given him the new contract or let him walk if he isn’t. I have seen too many big contracts given to colt players that didn’t work out and hurt the team long term with the salary cap. I think this is mostly the owner’s doing, not football people. Hopefully it works out this time!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

That’s the furthest thing from my mind.  There are more important things for the Colts to worry about now.  I’m happy he’s on board and looking forward to watching him play with AR and let’s see what magic Shane has up his sleeve for the remainder of the season.  

I guess, I'm more of a long term thinker vs short term 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I am probably in the minority but I think this was a bad contract.  RB's are a dime a dozen and their production is affected more by the OL than anything else.

No reason to pay one more than an average place kicker.

Not really, the chart below shows RB's are paid more than a dime a dozen

Highest-paid RBs in per year average: Christian McCaffrey: $16.01M Alvin Kamara: $15M Jonathan Taylor: $14M Derrick Henry: $12.5M Nick Chubb: $12.2M Josh Jacobs: $11.79M Aaron Jones: $11.5M

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I am probably in the minority but I think this was a bad contract.  RB's are a dime a dozen and their production is affected more by the OL than anything else.

No reason to pay one more than an average place kicker.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38608237/colts-jonathan-taylor-says-new-deal-win-all-nfl-rbs

Couldn't agree more. Colts sign him to an extension and Moss goes out there the next day  and just shows why u don't do the contract u just did lol. I think Taylor's contract will just do the opposite of what he thinks it will do.

I spent half the day yesterday talking about Moss' ordinary athleticism and how he probably can't produce big plays, and he blows past the Titans entire defense for a 56 yard TD. 

I'm not complaining about the JT contract, and I understand why the Colts did what they did. But Moss today again provided evidence that even elite RB production is mostly replaceable. 

• Thanks 1