Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts and star RB Jonathan Taylor have agreed to terms on a 3-year contract extension

ProblChld32

Details are in for JT's extension: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/jonathan-taylor-47636/ https://overthecap.com/player/jonathan-taylor/8781

Contract expires after the 2026 season, and effectively pays him $46.304m over four seasons. The new contract pays Taylor a signing bonus of $10.248m in 2023, and adjusts his salary for the current season down to $1.742m; he'll make $11.99m total in 2023.

The SB, the salary for 2023 and 2024, and the 2024 per game roster bonuses are fully guaranteed at signing, for a total of $20.304m (that's my math, not sure why it's different from the reported $19.348m amount). As of March 2024, $7.15m of the 2025 salary will be guaranteed, bringing the total guaranteed up to $27.5 (again, slightly higher than the $26.5m reported). 

His cap hit for 2023 remains at $5.1m, then goes $10.9m, $15.6m, and $15.6m for the remaining three years. The real exit point for the Colts would be after the 2025 season, when JT will be 27 years old, with six seasons played.

Some of the numbers are kind of weird on this one, but apparently it adds up to $42m in new money.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2023 at 12:47 PM, Solid84 said:

I get that this is what both parties likely wanted as the end result.

But, I for one, was always on board with the Colts approach of wanting to see him on the field, in the new system, with the new coaches. He hadn't practiced in nearly 300 days before this thursday. The Colts approach was 100% reasonable and logical. This seems like they capitulated and it sends a really bad signal to players about how they should approach contract negatiations with the Colts going forward.

I think you underestimate the exhaustive research the Colts do on character for every player they bring in.   No team is perfect, but the Colts put a premium on it.  

You need only look at Michael Pittman Jr.   He wanted an extension heading  into into his 4th year and didn’t get it.   He knows he might not even be a Colt next year.   But, to the best of my knowledge,  has not spoken a word of complaint about his situation.   If he’s not a Colt next year he’ll be with a team that wants him and will pay him good money.   He’s betting on himself.   He’s got very high character. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you underestimate the exhaustive research the Colts do on character for every player they bring in.   No team is perfect, but the Colts put a premium on it.  

You need only look at Michael Pittman Jr.   He wanted an extension heading  into into his 4th year and didn’t get it.   He knows he might not even be a Colt next year.   But, to the best of my knowledge,  has not spoken a word of complaint about his situation.   If he’s not a Colt next year he’ll be with a team that wants him and will pay him good money.   He’s betting on himself.   He’s got very high character. 

Pittman isn't going anywhere.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you overestimate how much character means when money is involved.

FWIW, WalterFootball.com grades every trade and free agent signing ,,,in this case a contract extension. 

Posting from the site, and giving credit to WalterFootball.com.

Colts re-sign RB Jonathan Taylor (3 years, $42 million; $26.5 million guaranteed): D Grade
The drama is finally over. After months of speculating if Jonathan Taylor would play for the Colts again, or where he’d be traded, we finally have an answer. Taylor will remain with Indianapolis on a new 3-year deal worth $42 million.

Taylor is obviously a talented running back, but this contract is a major misuse of funds. It should be obvious to everyone in the league that running backs shouldn’t be paid very highly. The demand is low, and players at the position are extremely injury-prone. Nick Chubb, considered the safest of the top running backs this year, tore up his knee in Week 2. No player at the position is safe.

If Taylor weren’t such a gifted player, this contract would warrant an “F” grade. It’s still a horrendous deal for the Colts, who apparently still think running backs are valuable. Someone needs to tell Jim Irsay that it’s not 1999 anymore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

FWIW, WalterFootball.com grades every trade and free agent signing ,,,in this case a contract extension. 

Colts re-sign RB Jonathan Taylor (3 years, $42 million; $26.5 million guaranteed): D Grade
The drama is finally over. After months of speculating if Jonathan Taylor would play for the Colts again, or where he’d be traded, we finally have an answer. Taylor will remain with Indianapolis on a new 3-year deal worth $42 million.

Taylor is obviously a talented running back, but this contract is a major misuse of funds. It should be obvious to everyone in the league that running backs shouldn’t be paid very highly. The demand is low, and players at the position are extremely injury-prone. Nick Chubb, considered the safest of the top running backs this year, tore up his knee in Week 2. No player at the position is safe.

If Taylor weren’t such a gifted player, this contract would warrant an “F” grade. It’s still a horrendous deal for the Colts, who apparently still think running backs are valuable. Someone needs to tell Jim Irsay that it’s not 1999 anymore.

LOL.  Even Shane says you run to win.  You lock up one of the top five backs for four years at age 24 you do it.  That’s a no brainer.  Really dumb evaluation.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

LOL.  Even Shane says you run to win.  You lock up one of the top five backs for four years at age 24 you do it.  That’s a no brainer.  Really dumb evaluation.

He probably makes more money at evaluations than you do though.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I stated an opinion, what does that have to do with what you posted?

Because the comment you quoted was talking about the WF grade.  I assumed you were associating the WF grade with opinions "in here" since that's what you said.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Totally agree. What people are not looking at is this. They had him under contract for thr remainder of the year and this protected him against injury. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You run to win if you're ahead. If not, you're wasting time.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

I completely agree!! The owner makes these bad decisions because it has happened with other gm’s over the years. The best owners are the ones that let the football minds make the decisions, not their “fan thinking”. The bad contracts in the past were popular here with the colts fans. 

24 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I completely agree!! The owner makes these bad decisions because it has happened with other gm’s over the years. The best owners are the ones that let the football minds make the decisions, not their “fan thinking”. The bad contracts in the past were popular here with the colts fans. 

Except Irsay didn’t want to do this this soon. He did let Ballard handle it.

20 hours ago, Superman said:

Details are in for JT's extension: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/jonathan-taylor-47636/ https://overthecap.com/player/jonathan-taylor/8781

Contract expires after the 2026 season, and effectively pays him $46.304m over four seasons. The new contract pays Taylor a signing bonus of $10.248m in 2023, and adjusts his salary for the current season down to $1.742m; he'll make $11.99m total in 2023.

The SB, the salary for 2023 and 2024, and the 2024 per game roster bonuses are fully guaranteed at signing, for a total of $20.304m (that's my math, not sure why it's different from the reported $19.348m amount). As of March 2024, $7.15m of the 2025 salary will be guaranteed, bringing the total guaranteed up to $27.5 (again, slightly higher than the $26.5m reported). 

His cap hit for 2023 remains at $5.1m, then goes $10.9m, $15.6m, and $15.6m for the remaining three years. The real exit point for the Colts would be after the 2025 season, when JT will be 27 years old, with six seasons played.

Some of the numbers are kind of weird on this one, but apparently it adds up to $42m in new money.

You know my stance - in a salary cap where you can move unused cap space into future years, I will never understand why people count the current year and current salary that was already guaranteed into the new contract. I care about the new money and new years when talking about extensions and contracts. 

Seems like new money - 42, new years 3. So it seems fair to me to count this as a 14M a year contract extension. 

Malki Kawa doing victory laps too:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

You know my stance - in a salary cap where you can move unused cap space into future years, I will never understand why people count the current year and current salary that was already guaranteed into the new contract. I care about the new money and new years when talking about extensions and contracts. 

Seems like new money - 42, new years 3. So it seems fair to me to count this as a 14M a year contract extension. 

I think Florio agrees with you.  He just released an article stating the terms of the contract.  I believe he determines Taylor at 14m a year average which makes him second among running backs right behind McCafferey.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think Florio agrees with you.  He just released an article stating the terms of the contract.  I believe he determines Taylor at 14m a year average which makes him second among running backs right behind McCafferey.

Isn't Kamara paid over 15 too? 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's fair to count it that way, and that's how everyone will view it. I'm more interested in how it impacts cap space than how it gets reported. It doesn't change my opinion of the value of the contract, it just tells me how the Colts will navigate around it.

Malki is toxic. The times I felt the most upset about this situation were the times when he was stirring the pot. Including stuff like what you just linked to. This dude sucks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's fair to count it that way, and that's how everyone will view it. I'm more interested in how it impacts cap space than how it gets reported. It doesn't change my opinion of the value of the contract, it just tells me how the Colts will navigate around it.

Malki is toxic. The times I felt the most upset about this situation were the times when he was stirring the pot. Including stuff like what you just linked to. This dude sucks.

Agreed. I have no idea how he has any clients. You cannot convince me that the same outcome(or even better for Taylor) couldn't have been reached in a much more conventional manner. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Agreed. I have no idea how he has any clients. You cannot convince me that the same outcome(or even better for Taylor) couldn't have been reached in a much more conventional manner. 

In an alternate universe, you can probably reach the same outcome at the same time, with none of the nonsense.

But I still wonder how much the trade discussions helped crystallize the market in JT's mind. I said at the beginning of the trade stuff that I hoped we'd get some leaks about his contract expectations, and while we didn't quite get that info, some reports did come out yesterday that teams were okay with the trade compensation, but not with the potential contract. So if he was initially thinking he could force his way to a team that would make him the highest paid RB, maybe the trade stuff helped him back off. We'll probably never know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, husker61 said:

It does seem like there was some meddling by Irsay.  When he said that they were not going to trade JT very early in the process, it sort of forced Ballard and SS into more narrower parameters by which to resolve the situation.  Whether or not they actually considered trading him is another thing, but I don't ever get the feeling that Irsay's words in these situations are helpful.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/inside-the-jonathan-taylor-deal

Inside the Jonathan Taylor deal

By Mike Florio

(excerpt from article)

1. Signing bonus: $10.248 million.

2. 2023 base salary: $784,556, fully guaranteed.

3. 2024 base salary: $7.804 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2024 per-game roster bonus: $510,000, fully guaranteed as of the third day after contract execution.

5. 2025 base salary: $11.98 million, $7.152 million of which is guaranteed for injury at signing. The $7.152 million becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2024 league year.

6. 2025 per-game roster bonus: $1.02 million total.

7. 2026 base salary: $11.98 million.

8. 2026 per-game roster bonus: $1.02 million total.

• Like 2