Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Random thoughts on this team

Patrick Miller

I’m worried AR is going to have a short career if he doesn’t learn to slide.

I know some are clamoring for Irsay to pay Taylor but I don’t think it matters much who we have at RB if the oline can’t open holes. Q and Kelly are overrated, Fries is still a question mark and smith is just serviceable. Not impressed with Raimann so far either.  Might as well stick with Moss,Hull and Funk. Honestly I think Taylor has made up his mind that he’s not going to play for us. If we need an upgrade at rb They should  bring in hunt or Fournette.

Pitt and Pierce have GOT to get separation. Perhaps we should get McKenzie more involved.

We Need one of our TEs to emerge as the #1. Mo ain’t it. Granson has looked pretty good but I was hoping Ogletree was going to be the playmaker we need. What say you?

I realize this year is going to be brutal and we are going to lose a lot of games but the homer in me still gets irate at a loss. I’ll be surprised if we win more than 3 games. Maybe we will have a shot to draft Marvin Harrison.

Im getting big Frank Reich vibes from Steichen with the poor play calling. I’ll wager he’ll be just as stubborn about delegating the play call duties.

anyway! I’m trying to take this season in stride. I get worked up but only for a short time and then I just let it go. Hoping for the best……Go Colts!

• Thanks 1

Glass half full guy says - Relax.  One game, and weren’t we up by 4 with about 5 minutes left?  

That’s in spite of all that you mentioned and the Jags being a better team?

I agree about SS’s questionable calls, but he’s new too.  

I won’t sum up the season based on that loss anymore than I will if we win next week.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I know some are clamoring for Irsay to pay Taylor but I don’t think it matters much who we have at RB if the oline can’t open holes. Q and Kelly are overrated, Fries is still a question mark and smith is just serviceable. Not impressed with Raimann so far either.  Might as well stick with Moss,Hull and Funk. Honestly I think Taylor has made up his mind that he’s not going to play for us. If we need an upgrade at rb They should  bring in hunt or Fournette.

Pitt and Pierce have GOT to get separation. Perhaps we should get McKenzie more involved.

We Need one of our TEs to emerge as the #1. Mo ain’t it. Granson has looked pretty good but I was hoping Ogletree was going to be the playmaker we need. What say you?

I realize this year is going to be brutal and we are going to lose a lot of games but the homer in me still gets irate at a loss. I’ll be surprised if we win more than 3 games. Maybe we will have a shot to draft Marvin Harrison.

Im getting big Frank Reich vibes from Steichen with the poor play calling. I’ll wager he’ll be just as stubborn about delegating the play call duties.

anyway! I’m trying to take this season in stride. I get worked up but only for a short time and then I just let it go. Hoping for the best……Go Colts!

Calm Down John Krasinski GIF by The Animal Crackers MovieIt’s week 1 with a whole new offensive staff, a rookie QB, and a makeshift RB room. let it play out a little before pulling your hair out.

• Like 1

I think we all will be fine. 

If the light comes on for Richardson, the o line starts opening holes, and pass protecting better, and we somehow sneak into the playoffs we will be thrilled.

If it takes a while for the above to happen, but Richardson puts together 4 or 5 good games, most of us will be happy with to see him develop.

If we stink all year, we get a high draft pick.

I don't like seeing the Colt's lose either, but this year I am determined to roll with the punches.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Dear God, what a hot mess.      :facepalm:

You judged Shane Steichen after one game.   One.   

You said Steichen is giving you serious Frank Reich vibes.   After one game.   One. 

I encourage you to re-read your own post.  Where is the part where you’re “taking the season in stride”?!?    You expressed deep concerns about the rookie quarterback, the entire O-line, the TE and the WRs.   After one game.  One.  

I didn’t understand a single word of this….

Sorry. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I liked his play calling. A lot more movement and differing formations to cause confusion, all ran by a rookie QB. If Anthony is on target the game ends differently but he has some issues with overthrows which in time he will fix. Josh Allen just talked about some of these things and brought up AR. He’s got the work ethic, the passion, and the dude is so young with limited reps throughout his career playing QB. With that considered, I think he will clean things up because he’s not so old and experienced that he’s set in his ways. 

he also isn’t “wasting time” on his college studies anymore, and can put in the reps in the off-season necessary to show some jumps in his second and third year, where I expect him to show how elite he can really be. 

Shane is also a rookie HC, but I saw a team play with more fire than I’ve seen in a long time! I like him. Hoping to see us draft Harrison. That would be a god send and this WR room will have gone from ok, to elite. Pittman. Pierce. Downs. They would all benefit significantly from an elite WR on the field with them. 

we have to get rid of cox after this year. He showed a few flashes over 2 years ago that he could catch, but I haven’t seen that in a long time. He should have caught that ball on I believe his only target. Dude just moves like he’s made of molasses. I can’t help but think if that was Woods he would have caught it. 

Jackson as of week 1, is a liability. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God, what a hot mess.      :facepalm:

You judged Shane Steichen after one game.   One.   

You said Steichen is giving you serious Frank Reich vibes.   After one game.   One. 

I encourage you to re-read your own post.  Where is the part where you’re “taking the season in stride”?!?    You expressed deep concerns about the rookie quarterback, the entire O-line, the TE and the WRs.   After one game.  One.  

I didn’t understand a single word of this….

Sorry. 

Honestly it’s hard not to have concerns about the oline when they are performing the exact same way they did last season. So yeah after one game. You’re right about Steichen though….I may have jumped the gun. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes. 

yeah I need to relax. It’s only one game and I’ll be hoping for the best!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Honestly it’s hard not to have concerns about the oline when they are performing the exact same way they did last season. So yeah after one game. You’re right about Steichen though….I may have jumped the gun. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes. 

yeah I need to relax. It’s only one game and I’ll be hoping for the best!

The game will gradually slow down for AR as well. But, yes. If he’s going to run, then he absolutely needs to slide unless he’s just wide freaking open and can run it clean. 

• Like 1

My thoughts are that Richardson looks really good, and Steichen looks like a terrible coach that has no idea what he is doing. Already said here, but a worse Frank Reich. Lots of time to learn, but I see him being just as stubborn and unwilling to change from his personality, and we are about to go through the same thing as we did with Reich. Only upside is we have Richardson instead of a bunch of old retread QBs. Hoping Steichen doesn't ruin Richardson. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My thoughts are that Richardson looks really good, and Steichen looks like a terrible coach that has no idea what he is doing. Already said here, but a worse Frank Reich. Lots of time to learn, but I see him being just as stubborn and unwilling to change from his personality, and we are about to go through the same thing as we did with Reich. Only upside is we have Richardson instead of a bunch of old retread QBs. Hoping Steichen doesn't ruin Richardson. 

Richardson LOOKs good because he has poise and seems to scan a good portion of the field.  Richardson is NOT good because he can't throw up to the quality needed to be an NFL QB.  And if he must "slide" to protect himself, his running production won't be very reliable either.  

Lets hope he improves his accuracy, especially throwing center-left to left.

Like Reich, all play callers are limited by the abilities of their personnel, until the personnel develops.  Its only one game, and maybe it will be this way the entire season.  Its a long road, and SS has a six year contract.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Steichen has said you throw to score and run to win, and I can only assume that had something to do with it. The Colts are up 21-17 in the 3rd, and for no obvious reason he starts calling run plays in a game where the run game was going absolutely nowhere. That, to me, looks like playing to not lose versus playing to win. The 3rd quarter is not the time to suddenly become conservative in your play-calling, Rookie coach or not, I'm assuming his eyes are still working, and that he could see the run game wasn't working. Hopefully, he learns from the loss. It's just one game, and there's a lot of season left. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, masterlock said:

Steichen has said you throw to score and run to win, and I can only assume that had something to do with it. The Colts are up 21-17 in the 3rd, and for no obvious reason he starts calling run plays in a game where the run game was going absolutely nowhere. That, to me, looks like playing to not lose versus playing to win. The 3rd quarter is not the time to suddenly become conservative in your play-calling, Rookie coach or not, I'm assuming his eyes are still working, and that he could see the run game wasn't working. Hopefully, he learns from the loss. It's just one game, and there's a lot of season left. 

Yes.  IIRC, that was after the fluke TD, we stop JAX on the ensuing possession on 4th down.  SS calls two bland running plays up the gut...not even imaginative plays.  That 3 and out series cost us the game as much as the two fumbles, JMO.

IMO, when you have emotional momentum pushing your sails, you do something a bit more imaginative than two up the gut runs against a D that's been stuffing the run so far.  Maybe at least a read-option with AR running wide.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Oh my goodness.  :facepalm:

21 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952icqmqfxnl07jx9asaey

4 hours ago, masterlock said:

I suggest you rewatch the possessions before and after the fumble return TD.

The defense gets the Jaguars off the field in three plays (shout out to the defense, they played a lot better than I expected). Our offense goes out and the first play is a run for 16 yards, which comes back on a holding penalty. Now it's 1st and 20. Incomplete, run for 7 yards, incomplete, punt on 4th and 13. 

The defense gets a stop on 4th down (again, defense played well). The offense takes over at the -48, run play on 1st down for no gain, run play on 2nd down for a loss of 3, incomplete on third down.

But on the two possessions before the fumble TD, we had a three and out and a four and out (fumble). There were back to back sacks in there also. The offense was struggling. The QB was struggling.

I didn't really like the plays called, I'll give you that. But I don't think he got conservative, I think he understood that the offense was struggling and he wanted to take some pressure off of the QB to drop back and pass. I would have liked some bootlegs in there, but some of those run plays were RPOs, which means you have to take what you see at the snap. 

• Like 4

I was getting irritated with the play calling but Steichen says "you run to win the game, you throw to score". It was a close game, we weren't getting anilated like so many negative nannies on here said we would. He was playing it close to the vest, and BAM, what beats us???? A long punt return, followed by an interception in the last 7 minutes of the game. So, looking back, yea I think Steichen was calling an intelligent game. And think about it, how much better would that game plan had worked with Taylor on the field? Not having Taylor is going to be a big drag on this team. Peyton had Faulk and then James. Luck never really had an outstanding back. So, let's look at it logically and get Taylor on the field for at least 3 years with Richardson, what do you say Mr. Irsay?

On 9/11/2023 at 10:48 PM, Patrick Miller said:

Have Not credible sources like Pelissero reported that JT wants to join the team and play once he comes out of PUP?

Rapoport might have said that he's likely to be traded later in the season, but that seems to be his assumption or prediction in a show, but recent reports indicated that JT wants to play.

However, We don't know How many games he will  play and if he'd start the demand of "extend or trade"

5 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I was getting irritated with the play calling but Steichen says "you run to win the game, you throw to score". It was a close game, we weren't getting anilated like so many negative nannies on here said we would. He was playing it close to the vest, and BAM, what beats us???? A long punt return, followed by an interception in the last 7 minutes of the game. So, looking back, yea I think Steichen was calling an intelligent game. And think about it, how much better would that game plan had worked with Taylor on the field? Not having Taylor is going to be a big drag on this team. Peyton had Faulk and then James. Luck never really had an outstanding back. So, let's look at it logically and get Taylor on the field for at least 3 years with Richardson, what do you say Mr. Irsay?

He should  have threw the football when we had the lead especially since the running  game was bad all day

6 hours ago, Two_pound said:

irsay needs to override ballard and sign jt

I've been a Ballard backer all along but now I'm qustioning his decisions about our WR room which gave us nothing despite Pittmans TD run. We lack homerun hitters at that position and our running is downright terrible right now. The online was okay in the game but we cause no fear into opposiing defenses which means that can put 8 to 9 players in the box and that makes it nearly impossible to run the ball whioh killed us in this game. If that doesn't change we will be lucky to win 2 to 3 games this season which isn't neccssarly be a bad thing maybe Ballard would draft Marvin Harrison JR. But Ballard puts very little into WR's for whatever reason and it has killed us. I think it might be time for Ballard to go. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 1:18 PM, Patrick Miller said:

Why would you bring up Frank? Frank has nothing to do with this new team..Not even close on Frank VIBES!! This is a make or break team with Irsay and Ballard. Don't know why you think of Frank? Miss him?  RB is a big thought,  JT a elite player? You bet your *ss he is. But holding out like he has. You just don't know what he brings to the table? That is why Colts IMO got low balled I don't blame them for jumping on every offer thrown for JT. I bet JT is fine and he will take time to get back in game shape. Kinda screws everyone over, but JT wasn't going to do physical then contract. No Fing way!! He done physical first that team backed out, he is playing 1st week with Colts against the Jags.lmao

11 hours ago, Superman said:

I suggest you rewatch the possessions before and after the fumble return TD.

The defense gets the Jaguars off the field in three plays (shout out to the defense, they played a lot better than I expected). Our offense goes out and the first play is a run for 16 yards, which comes back on a holding penalty. Now it's 1st and 20. Incomplete, run for 7 yards, incomplete, punt on 4th and 13. 

The defense gets a stop on 4th down (again, defense played well). The offense takes over at the -48, run play on 1st down for no gain, run play on 2nd down for a loss of 3, incomplete on third down.

But on the two possessions before the fumble TD, we had a three and out and a four and out (fumble). There were back to back sacks in there also. The offense was struggling. The QB was struggling.

I didn't really like the plays called, I'll give you that. But I don't think he got conservative, I think he understood that the offense was struggling and he wanted to take some pressure off of the QB to drop back and pass. I would have liked some bootlegs in there, but some of those run plays were RPOs, which means you have to take what you see at the snap. 

Defense surprised me the most playing as well is they did. I was shocked!

On 9/12/2023 at 10:07 PM, superrep1967 said:

I've been a Ballard backer all along but now I'm qustioning his decisions about our WR room which gave us nothing despite Pittmans TD run. We lack homerun hitters at that position and our running is downright terrible right now. The online was okay in the game but we cause no fear into opposiing defenses which means that can put 8 to 9 players in the box and that makes it nearly impossible to run the ball whioh killed us in this game. If that doesn't change we will be lucky to win 2 to 3 games this season which isn't neccssarly be a bad thing maybe Ballard would draft Marvin Harrison JR. But Ballard puts very little into WR's for whatever reason and it has killed us. I think it might be time for Ballard to go. 

7 years in and now u r just starting to question his team building??? Lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2023 at 9:53 AM, DougDew said:

Yes.  IIRC, that was after the fluke TD, we stop JAX on the ensuing possession on 4th down.  SS calls two bland running plays up the gut...not even imaginative plays.  That 3 and out series cost us the game as much as the two fumbles, JMO.

IMO, when you have emotional momentum pushing your sails, you do something a bit more imaginative than two up the gut runs against a D that's been stuffing the run so far.  Maybe at least a read-option with AR running wide.

Well, in defense of Steichen, those run plays were with Jackson and a practice squad guy, both game breakers. 

On 9/11/2023 at 12:18 PM, Patrick Miller said:

AR5 will learn to pick his spots, remember, Luck did most of his damage off the field to his body.

All of Raimann, Nelson, Kelly and Smith had PFF ratings over 70, which is above average so I think you may be a little biased at what you are judging them on (based on the past). Additionally, the Jags were crashing/clogging the running lanes knowing that that was our best gameplan with a rookie QB with 13 collegiate starts under his belt - not to mention they have a lot of talent on that side of the ball.

Neither of Hunt nor Fournette will sign with us UNLESS they know the outcome of the JT situation. They want to be starters. Besides, if you read the tea leaves its clear (from CB's press conference) that its Shane that doesn't really care to extend JT. Just go back and listen to the parts about new coaching staff, etc., etc.

Pittman looked gassed and Pierce is a two-trick pony - drag routes and go routes. Once AR5 gets (more) comfortable in the pocket you will see Pierce's utilization increase as well. Having said that, I do agree they certainly can't get separation like Downs can that's for sure!

We don't need a number one TE persay - we just need Ogletree and Woods to be healthy to block and run seem routes with their big bodies and speed. Granson is already our 'number 1' if you want a title. Agreed, Mo looks old this year and he plods while running - makes me wonder if he's playing thru injury right now on his back?

SS called far too many 4th down plays but you have to admit that the offense at least was not boring and stagnant from the play calling perspective. They are artificially limited due to AR5's experience but that will improve as the year goes on in my opinion.

With the Cardinals having picks 1 and 2 next year I doubt we get an opportunity to draft MHJ, but damn, it sure would be nice to get him as a talent and for nostalgic purposes to pair with AR5.........

I still expect this team to finish right around .500 this year in spite of the young roster. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

AR5 will learn to pick his spots, remember, Luck did most of his damage off the field to his body.

All of Raimann, Nelson, Kelly and Smith had PFF ratings over 70, which is above average so I think you may be a little biased at what you are judging them on (based on the past). Additionally, the Jags were crashing/clogging the running lanes knowing that that was our best gameplan with a rookie QB with 13 collegiate starts under his belt - not to mention they have a lot of talent on that side of the ball.

Neither of Hunt nor Fournette will sign with us UNLESS they know the outcome of the JT situation. They want to be starters. Besides, if you read the tea leaves its clear (from CB's press conference) that its Shane that doesn't really care to extend JT. Just go back and listen to the parts about new coaching staff, etc., etc.

Pittman looked gassed and Pierce is a two-trick pony - drag routes and go routes. Once AR5 gets (more) comfortable in the pocket you will see Pierce's utilization increase as well. Having said that, I do agree they certainly can't get separation like Downs can that's for sure!

We don't need a number one TE persay - we just need Ogletree and Woods to be healthy to block and run seem routes with their big bodies and speed. Granson is already our 'number 1' if you want a title. Agreed, Mo looks old this year and he plods while running - makes me wonder if he's playing thru injury right now on his back?

SS called far too many 4th down plays but you have to admit that the offense at least was not boring and stagnant from the play calling perspective. They are artificially limited due to AR5's experience but that will improve as the year goes on in my opinion.

With the Cardinals having picks 1 and 2 next year I doubt we get an opportunity to draft MHJ, but damn, it sure would be nice to get him as a talent and for nostalgic purposes to pair with AR5.........

I still expect this team to finish right around .500 this year in spite of the young roster. 

Im sure I’ll regret even asking such a question…..

But other than the snowboarding accident, what did Luck do OFF the field to hurt himself?    I’m not aware of anything else. 
Your comment jumped out at me. 

47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im sure I’ll regret even asking such a question…..

But other than the snowboarding accident, what did Luck do OFF the field to hurt himself?    I’m not aware of anything else. 
Your comment jumped out at me. 

The season he had a lacerated kidney and torn labrum he went and compounded the issues with his shoulder snowboarding - I was just recalling that incident.......and then sat out all of 2017 before returning to form in 2018. Then the abrupt retirement in 2019. Perhaps my verbiage led you to believe I was speaking of multiple off-season injuries - which I do think he reported to camp in 2019 already with the 'lower leg' injury?

On 9/13/2023 at 12:07 AM, superrep1967 said:

Looking at where our starting 3 WR's were drafted makes you as having

NO CLUE! 

I'm not going to have any backlash on this team until mid-season and that's if I don't see Shane play calling getting better and Richardson getting better. (Richardson is good so far) Still too early for me to complain, I don't like complaining anyhow over things I cannot change.

I'm more worried about a injury to starting OL with the depth we have. JMO