Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Am I The Only One Who Wants To See If Minshew Can Perform With The Ones?

Boss7894

Because he got the work ethic and know what it takes already... I mean, Anthony is ONLY 20 years old, a lot of QBs learn before they get going... Don't overwhelm the brother in one go... Manning wasn't that much better than Brady.  We should focus on competing and winning now.  I say make it like a new open kicker competition.   Everyone gets a fair shot, no overwhelming expectations.

• Like 4

I don’t want to see AR being protected by the 2nd unit ever.  He’s the investment and future of this organization.  The best way to get him hurt is put him in behind that 2nd group. 

Minshew came in and was instantly sacked twice because Ekiyor and Freeland whiffed on their blocks.  Fortunately after that series the Bills went deeper in their bench. 

Minshew is what he is which is more dink and dunk and take what they give.  He doesn’t need a bunch of preseason snaps with the #1’s. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

Because he got the work ethic and know what it takes already... I mean, Anthony is ONLY 20 years old, a lot of QBs learn before they get going... Don't overwhelm the brother in one go... Manning wasn't that much better than Brady.  We should focus on competing and winning now.  I say make it like a new open kicker competition.   Everyone gets a fair shot, no overwhelming expectations.

Nah give the reps to Richardson  minshew is what he is

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

The most important focus of 2023 is to have Anthony Richardson ready to be the game 1 starter for the 2024 season.  

Nothing is more important — yes, including winning.   Richardson is priority one!!  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The most important focus of 2023 is to have Anthony Richardson ready to be the game 1 starter for the 2024 season.  

Nothing is more important — yes, including winning.   Richardson is priority one!!  

Agreed . I don’t care if we go 0-17 IF AR gets better and better

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Honestly I think Minshew would give us the best chance of having a winning record this season. That being said I think the chances are still slim so might as well keep AR in as the starter and let him learn.

A winning record with minshew means nothing  if we don't make playoffs  and go on super bowl run. We need Richardson to get reps.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

A winning record with minshew means nothing  if we don't make playoffs  and go on super bowl run. We need Richardson to get reps.

This. I've seen enough. The fear was that Richardson is sooooo raw that he would be overwhelmed (therefore, stunting his growth). I didn't see that on Saturday. He is a rookie but he looked like he belonged.

• Like 7

I agree I think Minshew looked really solid after his first drive. If we want any shot at having a decent season he’s our best chance. I understand you invested an early first round pick in AR so playing him early so he gets experience will likely be the outcome. 

23 hours ago, Boss7894 said:

23 hours ago, Boss7894 said:

Your perspective is that of a child. Ignore 

6 hours ago, lester said:

This. I've seen enough. The fear was that Richardson is sooooo raw that he would be overwhelmed (therefore, stunting his growth). I didn't see that on Saturday. He is a rookie but he looked like he belonged.

A word of caution if I may….

Pre-season defenses are very basic, very vanilla.   Regular season defenses are much faster, and much MUCH more complicated.  So Richardson will likely have many moments where he will look overwhelmed during the regular season.  Call them growing pains.  

I hope Colts Nation will cut the kid a little slack.     

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pre-season defenses are very basic, very vanilla.   Regular season defenses are much faster, and much MUCH more complicated.  So Richardson will likely have many moments where he will look overwhelmed during the regular season.  Call them growing pains.  

The ones that will , will. The ones that won't, won't.

Already had someone throwing the towel after 1 quarter.

I think for the most part, everyone expects growing pains, but there will be the ones just looking for a reason to bash and they will.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Minshew definitely isn’t bad by any means. His stats are actually quite decent:

44 TDs 15 ints 

62.8% completions

Yet… he’s not the future for the franchise and the team certainly is showing that’s the viewpoint. 

I hope the colts can hold on to Minshew for as many years as he’d like to remain the backup.   He seems like the perfect QB2 for the Colts for the next few years. 

• Like 3

Minshew is what he is and what he always will be......a career backup QB. 

And if he ever progresses to starter caliber, he would be a Bottom 5-10 starter at best. He's not going to lead a team to the promised land. 

This season is for AR5 to get as many reps and experience as possible to progress to what he was drafted for.....to hopefully be a Franchise/Elite QB that can lead this team to Championships. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We saw that with Sam last year. Though we probably  should have played him past the patriots game

• Like 1

11 hours ago, w87r said:

The ones that will , will. The ones that won't, won't.

Already had someone throwing the towel after 1 quarter.

I think for the most part, everyone expects growing pains, but there will be the ones just looking for a reason to bash and they will.

Yea there are people on YouTube who have declared  him a bust already after one preseason  int.

• Like 1

This is the same discussion as - Do we want to try to win as many games as possible now (Minshew) OR do we want to develop our franchise QB of the future?

Obviously we want to win either way, and we may not win many more games with GM.  

IMHO, the answer is obvious.   Take some lumps and see what we really have in AR5.  Minshew isn’t the future.

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

We saw that with Sam last year. Though we probably  should have played him past the patriots game

Ehlinger still doesn't see the field well enough to get rid of the ball fast enough, IMO.

I saw Bennett play vs the Chargers, he was getting used to the fact that his WRs aren't going to be wide open and just a foot is open in the NFL early on, he was having a rough start to begin with. But as the game went on, he caught on like the smart QB he is, starting releasing the ball earlier before/as the WR came out of their breaks instead of after. 

But then, yeah, everything is vanilla in pre-season.

• Like 1

What do we gain from him starting?  We are in a building phase.  ARs biggest knock is he doesn’t have experience.  Yes he’s only 20 years old but taking away any snaps from him while we have him is counterproductive.  This team needs work and probably will not compete for anything and minshew at the helm that won’t change anything.  Maybe we get an extra couple of wins, but we’re not doing anything.

Is minshew a better option than AR right now?  Perhaps.  Will he be a better option?  No.  Get AR out there and let him learn.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

Ehlinger still doesn't see the field well enough to get rid of the ball fast enough, IMO.

I saw Bennett play vs the Chargers, he was getting used to the fact that his WRs aren't going to be wide open and just a foot is open in the NFL early on, he was having a rough start to begin with. But as the game went on, he caught on like the smart QB he is, starting releasing the ball earlier before/as the WR came out of their breaks instead of after. 

But then, yeah, everything is vanilla in pre-season.

The mailman always delivers !!

I was higher on getting Minshew in FA than anyone on this forum. Having said that, you start Richardson day 1. There's no experience like in-game experience and Richardson needs to learn on the job. He can practice and learn the playbook outside of games like everyone else while starting. Minshew is a really solid backup that gets along with Richardson and is willing to teach him. It's the perfect opportunity for Richardson to learn on the job. Let him grow with this young team and receiving core.

18 hours ago, smittywerb said:

What do we gain from him starting?  We are in a building phase.  ARs biggest knock is he doesn’t have experience.  Yes he’s only 20 years old but taking away any snaps from him while we have him is counterproductive.  This team needs work and probably will not compete for anything and minshew at the helm that won’t change anything.  Maybe we get an extra couple of wins, but we’re not doing anything.

Is minshew a better option than AR right now?  Perhaps.  Will he be a better option?  No.  Get AR out there and let him learn.  

He has had another birthday.

Boss7894 your hair is on fire. Go AR!

On 8/12/2023 at 6:03 PM, Boss7894 said:

No point of starting Minshew unless you think the Colts can win a SB with him starting. If you don't think that he makes us no better than playing AR. The benefit we get with are is More reps and a higher draft pick. Having mid draft picks with AR in the waiting doesn't help the Colts. Plain and simple. 

On 8/12/2023 at 7:35 PM, IinD said:

Loved Pinter when he first got playing time but he's definitely heading downhill since.

Ekiyor had a few uggh plays as well.

We better pray we don't get ravaged with oline injuries.

There is no option but to use some of that cap money on a RG

This is a HUGE hole on this team

In regards to the OP.......  Lower expectations and let Richardson grow

Patience is king

• Like 2

Minshaw Is No NFL teams Savior  I Would Like To see Him About As Much As I Liked seeing jim sorgi .

After Years Of Retread QB's  .  We Finally Have Our QB . PLAY HIM INTO SHAPE ..

Richardson Needs To Play & Not Sit his lack of experience is exactly why he has to start .

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 6:46 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I watched the game with my son.  He even got a Richardson jersey for his birthday and wore it for the game.  We got home a little late and sprinted inside to turn the game on.  1st play we saw..... Richardson interception... he looked devastated lol. 

We came to the conclusion AR is going to be awesome after watching it all though 😀 

• Thanks 1