Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson is bad

lennymoore24

Just now, Colt.45 said:

So far, the only rookie QB who seems to have landed seamlessly has been Stetson Bennett whose experience is showing up

He looked comfortable and poised out there but he too made mistakes. (I wrote what you quoted before the Chargers/ Rams game yesterday.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I did too. As I wrote in the post above, when I wrote the comment about having seen all the rookie QBs, it was before the Chargers/Rams game.

I think mobility is going to be key.

This why I like AR, Young and Bennett. 

Stroud and levis are going to struggle with their lack of mobility. 

Stroud could take a beating like David carr

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

shoot he might even make Manning’s day by breaking the rookie interception record.

You must have seen Manning's interview on the Pat McAfee show.

"I was not very good that year, Pat. I threw 28 interceptions, which we have talked about still, is a record that I would like to get broken. I feel like this might be the year."

Manning went on to encourage coaches to give rookie quarterbacks Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, and Anthony Richardson plenty of playing time this season.

"My advice to these coaches: play Young, play Stroud, play Richardson. Let 'em learn," he said. "But if they throw 29 picks, that's not the worst thing in the world."

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2641538

I don't know if Richardson is going to throw enough to break the record. Maybe Stroud may? He (Stroud) seems eager to show he should have been #1 and may pass a lot more than the other QBs. (Note: it is just my impression, not something he said or anything I heard or read.)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I find it so funny how everyone is going out of their way to elevate this guy and his play.  Venturi raps up game by saying how impressed he was wtih Richadson. ha  What a joke. You mean the guy who threw a terrible interception and threw a number of balls either too high or off target?  Sorry, just because we spend the number 4 pick on a QB and HOPE he becomes good doesn't make him good.  He is and will always be what she showed in college. Which is he has great athletic skills.  But he makes bad decisions, has terrible ball placement, and is inaccurate.

I have never, ever seen a running QB who played one year of college football, have a losing record, barely completely over 50% of his passes, get into the pros and become a good passing QB.  No Josh Allen didn't play one year of college football. Sorry.  I have been a Colts fan since they were in Baltimore.  I love the Colts.  But I am not going to drink the Kool-Aid and just because the guy was a high pick, cheer about how good he is.  If Sam Ehlinger had that same performance, we would probably say he should be 3rd string.   It was a wasted pick, he is going to be a terrible failure as an ACCURATE, GOOD DECISIONS NFL QB, and I will look back at this 2-3 years from now when they have to clean house as him being what finally took it down.  It is too bad, because I think Ballard is a good GM and I think Steichen could be a good coach.  Gardner Minshew is clearly as better all around NFL QB than Richardson, but Irsay won't allow that to happen.  Sad.

Oh well, Art Schlichter needs company as a bust #1 QB pick for the Colts :)  Richardson will never come close to be anywhere near Jeff George's overall career.

Easy now, they don't like different opinions on this forum. 

• Like 1

Pretty pleased with AR’s debut.  Obviously, he’d love to have that int. back, but I guarantee he learned something from that.  Not the time to risk that throw, with a receiver running a route right behind McKenzie.  He threw a beautiful TD pass to Pierce, he looked comfy in the pocket, and he moved around well.  Only one other misfire, and a lot of nice throws.  Good start…

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Ratking said:

Easy now, they don't like different opinions on this forum

The OP said AR was going to be terrible the minute we drafted him.  Now they are using 12 snaps to self confirm that they were right all along and pat their self on the back

Interesting take for one of the youngest and least experienced qbs ever drafted, we probably should give him more time than that though 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

if anybody is bad it should be our GM for signing a big contract on a kicker that missed a easy chip shot kick right in his face...if he does that anytime during this regular season..i can definitely see Ballards seat getting red hot early on this year...

Overreaction.

25 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

So far, the only rookie QB who seems to have landed seamlessly has been Stetson Bennett whose experience is showing up

I thought Bennett played well also but even his narrative would have been different IF the defensive back that broke on his pass to the flat hadn't dropped the easy pick six. Bennett's main knocks coming out was that he had an avg arm that might get exposed vs nfl speed, had meh type athleticism and was upper in age. (will be 26 in October) I thought Bennett was one of two rookie qbs (AR being the other paired with Steichen) that landed in the perfect spot. Bennett will benefit from being drafted by the Rams and learning under McVay which could eventually land him as the successor to Matt.

I don't know how much more Stafford has left (injuries included) because I saw decline in his play last season.  Baker played decent in the qb friendly system last season after Matt was shutdown. So don't be surprised if the underrated Bennett shines long term.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the best thing about this thread — now well over 100 posts — is that I found only one other poster who agrees with the OP.   And that includes several who admit they’re not very high on AR, but realize it’s ridiculous to make a conclusion based on one pre-season game.  

Richardson is going to need years of work, not a few games of work.  More than anything else, the kid is going to need patience. 

really like this post from you NCF

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

What I see in this film:

The pick was on AR, clearly.  It looks like the classic case of a Qb being pressured and double pumps with the second one resulting in a weak throw to the flat to covered receivers that could have been a pick 6.  Maybe McKenzie ran the wrong route that kept the first pump from being a throw, but that ball should not have been thrown and AR should have taken the sack.  The D won that play, line up and punt if you have to.

Maybe its circumstances, but it looked like AR was less effective moving or throwing to his left than down the middle or to the right.  More games and samples please.

The throw to AP was perfect.  It was a tough catch given the route and the coverage.

Hull is the real deal.  I'll just say it now.  He's got the quick vision to find the open space and the forward lean to maintain some balance after contact.   Not an allpro centerpiece, but the versatile RB outlet the Colts need.  The only concern at this point is speed.

The sidearm is an accuracy killer.  If he doesn't get his elbow up and his feet under him he'll struggle forever with accuracy.  Side arm flips tend to float which is pick city in the NFL (anywhere really).  His best throw was the deep ball and it's really the only throw he had with a high elbow and it was a dandy.  What I don't get is how during the entire off-season how does he come out throwing the ball this way.  As such a great athlete, this is an adjustment he can make, and we see him do it on the deep ball.  His accuracy issues are all about those arm angles and footwork.  He doesn't look mentally overwhelmed, he appeared confident back there, which is good but damn who's the QB coach?  Fix the throwing motion!

• Like 1

AR knows that he is gifted and is prone to spasms of youthful exuberance. If he's lucky, he will temper that without losing it altogether. Favre never outgrew that "gunslinger" tendency, and he's well thought of in hindsight.

Anyone who seriously complains about our first preseason game doesn't know much about the NFL. If you expected perfection from the start, you're delusional. I thought it went much better than I expected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

if anybody is bad it should be our GM for signing a big contract on a kicker that missed a easy chip shot kick right in his face...if he does that anytime during this regular season..i can definitely see Ballards seat getting red hot early on this year...

Again… hard to make a kick when the holder doesn’t get the ball down and the laces right. It was a joint failure 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I find it so funny how everyone is going out of their way to elevate this guy and his play.  Venturi raps up game by saying how impressed he was wtih Richadson. ha  What a joke. You mean the guy who threw a terrible interception and threw a number of balls either too high or off target?  Sorry, just because we spend the number 4 pick on a QB and HOPE he becomes good doesn't make him good.  He is and will always be what she showed in college. Which is he has great athletic skills.  But he makes bad decisions, has terrible ball placement, and is inaccurate.

I have never, ever seen a running QB who played one year of college football, have a losing record, barely completely over 50% of his passes, get into the pros and become a good passing QB.  No Josh Allen didn't play one year of college football. Sorry.  I have been a Colts fan since they were in Baltimore.  I love the Colts.  But I am not going to drink the Kool-Aid and just because the guy was a high pick, cheer about how good he is.  If Sam Ehlinger had that same performance, we would probably say he should be 3rd string.   It was a wasted pick, he is going to be a terrible failure as an ACCURATE, GOOD DECISIONS NFL QB, and I will look back at this 2-3 years from now when they have to clean house as him being what finally took it down.  It is too bad, because I think Ballard is a good GM and I think Steichen could be a good coach.  Gardner Minshew is clearly as better all around NFL QB than Richardson, but Irsay won't allow that to happen.  Sad.

Oh well, Art Schlichter needs company as a bust #1 QB pick for the Colts :)  Richardson will never come close to be anywhere near Jeff George's overall career.

Mindless blather is to be Ignored.

Honestly we all knew he was going to be pretty terrible to start. His ceiling and potential is why he was drafted. So while I can kind of see where the OP is coming from. Everybody already knew this and were cool with it. He needs to get better thats the whole point. 

19 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Honestly we all knew he was going to be pretty terrible to start. His ceiling and potential is why he was drafted. So while I can kind of see where the OP is coming from. Everybody already knew this and were cool with it. He needs to get better thats the whole point. 

Except he wasn’t  terrible yesterday.

• Like 7

AR’s pick seems to be the most analyzed and dissected interception in the history of football.  More so than Wilson’s pick in the SB on the goal line, or Mannings pick in the SB against the Saints.  This interception might also carry the dubious distinction of being the only ‘preseason’ interception to get more than 10 seconds of press.

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Except he wasn’t  terrible yesterday.

Its preseason. I will wait to see much more than one quarter of football to formulate any real opinion but its not a stretch to say when he plays in the regular season and sees actual defenses there will be a very hard learning curve and a lot of struggles.

• Like 2

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

Its preseason. I will wait to see much more than one quarter of football to formulate any real opinion but its not a stretch to say when he plays in the regular season and sees actual defenses there will be a very hard learning curve and a lot of struggles.

Very true.  As has already been said, this isn't enough work to make any assessment about his ability to succeed in the NFL.  We expect him to struggle,  and hopefully to learn and improve.   

I liked what I saw yesterday. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think it will definitely take him at least a full year to become good. I think in year 2, he can be good. For his game on Saturday, to me he didn't look overwhelmed by the situation. Had nice presence and had a perfect 30 yard TD pass to Pierce that was dropped. I thought after the INT, he looked above average if anything. We will see in his 2nd game what he looks like. He played against Buffalo 1's as well.

Yup….    Richardson can be good next year, but he’s very likely not going to be great.   He may have some great moments, but I’d expect them to be flashes more than entire games.   

As for yesterday….  I couldn't see the game live, but several people did cut-ups of every snap — including runs — and I didn’t see anything I wasn’t expecting.   There were no real red flags for me.   

Looking forward to each and every week.   :thmup:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I think mobility is going to be key.

This why I like AR, Young and Bennett. 

Stroud and levis are going to struggle with their lack of mobility. 

Stroud could take a beating like David carr

Since when does Levis lack mobility?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

Which is why the OP post is kind of silly.  It will be of to Steichen to simplify things early. But to post  how bad he was yesterday when he wasn’t is just ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

What I liked about his first NFL game was he made some mistakes early but got better during the game. Learning on the fly like that bodes well for his future in the NFL in my opinion.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Which is why the OP post is kind of silly.  It will be of to Steichen to simplify things early. But to post  how bad he was yesterday when he wasn’t is just ridiculous.

Im guessing the OP is just one of those people who enjoys getting a rise out of others.  

And judging by how many responses, he succeeded.  

4 hours ago, Rally5 said:

The sidearm is an accuracy killer.  If he doesn't get his elbow up and his feet under him he'll struggle forever with accuracy.  Side arm flips tend to float which is pick city in the NFL (anywhere really).  His best throw was the deep ball and it's really the only throw he had with a high elbow and it was a dandy.  What I don't get is how during the entire off-season how does he come out throwing the ball this way.  As such a great athlete, this is an adjustment he can make, and we see him do it on the deep ball.  His accuracy issues are all about those arm angles and footwork.  He doesn't look mentally overwhelmed, he appeared confident back there, which is good but damn who's the QB coach?  Fix the throwing motion!

Can’t say for sure, but it seemed like the sidearm throws had more to do with the situation when it called for a quick release.  The screens worked well as he was able to get the ball out quickly with velocity to give the receiver a chance for yardage.  

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not a fan of Levis overall but he does have some mobility. I am pretty sure PR meant that AR has more mobility which he does. Even if someone runs a 4.5 compared to a 4.4, that is a huge difference in the NFL. 

I am pretty sure you're giving PR too much credit.  And even saying levis has "some mobility" is underselling him imo.