Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which rookie qb matches Steichen's offensive style?

Kyle

He obviously is coming from the Eagles aggressive offense under Jalen Hurts.  They used a lot of designed qb runs, and on short yardage they go with extra TE and FB and pound it with the QB.

Jaylen Hurts 6'1, 220, 4.5 40 time

All signs point to young, Stroud, or Levis for us at QB. 

So who is our Jalen Hurts?

Bryce Young  6 ft 190, 4.52

CJ Stroud 6'3  218,  4.74

Will Levis 6'3  230,  4.72

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He also coached Herbert, let us not forget and if I had to take a stab at it, Stroud and Levis fit Steichen the best. Both Herbert and Hurts were bigger and stronger coming out of the draft than Young, IMO. Richardson as a project, is very hard to project but I can definitely see him becoming better than all QBs when it is all said and done, with great QB coaching.

Jalen Hurts was stocky, 6'1", 222 lbs when he was drafted: 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jalen-hurts/32004855-5276-7022-85cf-a74490936f42

If we can move back with the Lions or Seahawks, and draft Richardson, with a bridge QB in mind, I would not have any issues whatsoever, letting him learn and not playing him till Year 2.

I said it in the other thread... the best thing about Steichen is that he's shown he can work with and have success with variety of different QBs. IMO you shouldn't pigeonhole yourself into any particular mold ... but you probably should be looking for high potential if you trust your coach's ability to develop a QB. 

IMO the STYLISTIC comparisons from Steichen's past as OC and QB coach vs the current draft class of QBs is something like this:

-CJ Stroud ~ Philip Rivers

-Will Levis ~ Justin Herbert

-Jalen Hurts ~ Anthony Richardson... 

I'd be good with any of them(or Bryce Young) as long as they believe that's the best guy in the long term... 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Let's not make this guy out to be a QB whisperer just yet.  Herbert was never really a project, and Hurts is still not a top flight passer.

He is getting there, clearly, and throwing with more anticipation than before, leading WRs well and making good reads. If he does it again next year winning 12 games for the Eagles, one has to give him his due then.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I said it in the other thread... the best thing about Steichen is that he's shown he can work with and have success with variety of different QBs. IMO you shouldn't pigeonhole yourself into any particular mold ... but you probably should be looking for high potential if you trust your coach's ability to develop a QB. 

IMO the STYLISTIC comparisons from Steichen's past as OC and QB coach vs the current draft class of QBs is something like this:

-CJ Stroud ~ Philip Rivers

-Will Levis ~ Justin Herbert

-Jalen Hurts ~ Anthony Richardson... 

I'd be good with any of them(or Bryce Young) as long as they believe that's the best guy in the long term... 

Yep, I do believe Stroud, Levis and Richardson are the choices, more than Bryce Young, IMO.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He is getting there, clearly, and throwing with more anticipation than before, leading WRs well and making good reads. If he does it again next year winning 12 games for the Eagles, one has to give him his due then.

That's fine, but I'm not going to lay that progress on the mind of Steichen.  I think Steichen probably plays to the QBs strengths, and Hurts' passing I think complements his running.  Like Cam Newton, he has to be a running threat for his passing to work.

Maybe Steichen can do that with Richardson, but I don't think Richardson is the passer or has the football knowledge Hurts had in college.

My point being is that Richardson is a gamble regardless of Steichen's history with QBs.  JMO.  I prefer Steichen to make progress with the other QBs who give him more to work with at this point.  Its still a passing league, not an athlete league as far as Qbs are concerned.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's fine, but I'm not going to lay that progress on the mind of Steichen.  I think Steichen probably plays to the QBs strengths, and Hurts' passing I think complements his running.  Like Cam Newton, he has to be a running threat for his passing to work.

Maybe Steichen can do that with Richardson, but I don't think Richardson is the passer or has the football knowledge Hurts had in college.

My point being is that Richardson is a gamble regardless of Steichen's history with QBs.  JMO.  I prefer Steichen to make progress with the other QBs who give him more to work with at this point.  Its still a passing league, not an athlete league as far as Qbs are concerned.

That is why Stroud and Levis are at the top of my board for Steichen to help us groom, will be happy with either of them if Ballard makes it happen.

Yeah, 1 on 1s for A J Brown and Devonta Smith don't happen without Hurts' ability to rush. Hurts still had to make the jump in accuracy in the off season to hit them whenever he got the chance and he did.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'd be good with any of them. I have my favorites, but I realize my knowledge of QB play and projection is nowhere near the level needed to give me any sort of confidence that my favorite will be the best guy in the long-term so... whoever we pick, I'd be happy to support that guy and hopefully he turns into a franchise QB for us. 

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is why Stroud and Levis are at the top of my board for Steichen to help us groom, will be happy with either of them if Ballard makes it happen.

Me too.  I think the flaws in both can be overcome with coaching and experience. 

Maybe what we see with Steichen is that he doesn't necessarily develop QBs, per se...its not like he takes several different Qbs and molds them into his version of what a Qb should be.  He does a good job of emphasizing the strengths and minimizing the weaknesses of different Qbs.

So I think the QB choice is still going to have to fit into Ballard's vision of what the offense should look like.  If he picks Stroud, I think its more of a traditional O with JT still running up the middle a lot with play action.   If its anybody else, there is going to be more sideways plays and attacking the edges more.  JMO.  And Steichen will coach to those strengths.

My gut instinct is that Ballard is going to want to draft a guy with some size.  So Young is out.

I think it will be Stroud or Levis.

Although I'm surprised Hooker doesn't get more play on this board as he outplayed Young in the TN/ALA game.

Hooker is supposed to be ready by TC.

He could be the best QB in this draft.

18 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

My gut instinct is that Ballard is going to want to draft a guy with some size.  So Young is out.

I think it will be Stroud or Levis.

Although I'm surprised Hooker doesn't get more play on this board as he outplayed Young in the TN/ALA game.

Hooker is supposed to be ready by TC.

He could be the best QB in this draft.

I can agree on Hooker. The knocks are his age (his career may only be 10-12 years instead of 15 - 20), and the system he ran at TN.

Watching the introductory press conference right now...

Ballard did not like it when Jim just said, we have to find a young quarterback and develop him... Chris wants to leave some impression that we could go with a veteran... Even if everyone knows that our first choice is to draft a quarterback... 

Jim also mentioned Shane was moved to the top of the list because he is an offensive minded guy. 

18 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Watching the introductory press conference right now...

Ballard did not like it when Jim just said, we have to find a young quarterback and develop him... Chris wants to leave some impression that we could go with a veteran... Even if everyone knows that our first choice is to draft a quarterback... 

Jim also mentioned Shane was moved to the top of the list because he is an offensive minded guy. 

Irsay should talk less and let Ballard do more, IMO.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Irsay should talk less and let Ballard do more, IMO.

Yeah... Jim has been doing this for years though... It is why Polian was the front man during his tenure. Jim has showed his hand many times. I also think it is a reason why he likes Ballard so much... Polian was a mentor to Jim... And now Jim is a mentor to Ballard. I believe that is the way Irsay sees it. 

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

I can agree on Hooker. The knocks are his age (his career may only be 10-12 years instead of 15 - 20), and the system he ran at TN.

Matt Ryan 6'4" 220

Hendon Hooker 6'4" 218.

I think those weights are generous for both.  Ryan looked like Pokey The Stick Boy in a Colts uni, and I expect Hooker to look the same based on what I see at TN. 

Bryce Allen

CJ Stroud

Will Levis

Anthony Richardson 

Hendon Hooker

he has coached a statue in Rivers

a mobile traditional drop back in Herbert

and a runner in Hurts

his offense has been successful with all three

the colts could literally bet on the talent of all 5 of the above qb’s - the real question is which ones can hack it mentally at the nfl level

my humble opinion of course

Just now, DougDew said:

Matt Ryan 6'4" 220

Hendon Hooker 6'4" 218.

I think those weights are generous.  Ryan looked like Pokey the Stick Boy in a Colts uni, and I expect Hooker to look the same based on what I see at TN. 

Hooker measured 6' 3 5/8" 208 at the Senior Bowl. But keep in mind he's injured and can't workout right now so his weight might be different than his playing weight.

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Bryce Allen

CJ Stroud

Will Levis

Anthony Richardson 

Hendon Hooker

he has coached a statue in Rivers

a mobile traditional drop back in Herbert

and a runner in Hurts

his offense has been successful with all three

the colts could literally bet on the talent of all 5 of the above qb’s - the real question is which ones can hack it mentally at the nfl level

my humble opinion of course

I'm not high on Bryce Allen or Anthony Richardson, for different reasons.

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Hooker measured 6' 3 5/8" 208 at the Senior Bowl. But keep in mind he's injured and can't workout right now so his weight might be different than his playing weight.

I watched him play.  IMO, he's not much of a different body type than Teddy Bridgewater.  Slightly taller and bigger, but he's going to get snapped in half if he tries that extend the play stuff in the NFL.   He needs to be a pocket passer.

9 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Im sure we will draft a qb this year, but who should be qb2 and 3? Are we sticking with Foles/Ehlinger? Is there another cheap vet qb out there that can be brought in to help the rookie? 

Im guessing we won’t keep Foles, and I’m guessing the Colts won’t keep Sam,  but that’s only a guess.   

More guesses….   If you want another inexpensive vet to help with the rookie, these are the possible inexpensive candidates…

— Brissett

— Mariotta

— Trubisky

— Heinicke

These are guys you might get for roughly  $4-6 mill….   +/-

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im guessing we won’t keep Foles, and I’m guessing the Colts won’t keep Sam,  but that’s only a guess.   

More guesses….   If you want another inexpensive vet to help with the rookie, these are the possible inexpensive candidates…

— Brissett

— Mariotta

— Trubisky

— Heinicke

These are guys you might get for roughly  $4-6 mill….   +/-

None of them are worth such money or a roster spot.

17 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Let's not forget he started out with the word ACCURACY. Hurts still was at nearly 70% his senior season just as he was in the SB. Richardson can run but barely completes 50% of his.

Yeah, if he spoke of them in order, it was accuracy, decision making, and then Create third.  I think that speaks to Stroud.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, if he spoke of them in order, it was accuracy, decision making, and then Create third.  I think that speaks to Stroud.

Stroud does close to zero creating off structure. 

IMO Bryce Young fits the description the best... but then again... Ballard doesn't seem to love small players at any position, no idea if he would care about Young's size ... 

42 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

None of them are worth such money or a roster spot.

What?    You need a vet to go with the rookie.   You’ve got $17 million tied up in Matt Ryan.   Money is going to be tight.   These are the best options.    

All were on an NFL roster last year and will be again this year.  

The better options you might want are either going to be too expensive or they want a better opportunity with a better team. 

After watching film of both Young and Stroud, Stroud reminds me a lot of Jalen Hurts. It will depend on whether Coach Steichen wants another QB like Hurts, or wants to play a different style. It seems like last year the Eagles ran the ball like crazy, then this year they really opened the offense up for Hurts to shine. Steichen might try to do the same for his rookie QB next year by utilizing Taylor and whoever else is in our backfield. Then add some weapons and open it up for the new QB in his second year.

21 minutes ago, philba101 said:

After watching film of both Young and Stroud, Stroud reminds me a lot of Jalen Hurts. It will depend on whether Coach Steichen wants another QB like Hurts, or wants to play a different style. It seems like last year the Eagles ran the ball like crazy, then this year they really opened the offense up for Hurts to shine. Steichen might try to do the same for his rookie QB next year by utilizing Taylor and whoever else is in our backfield. Then add some weapons and open it up for the new QB in his second year.

How did Stroud remind you of Hurts?   Hurts is a runner. Stroud is far from that

5 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

What if … the Colts trade back for a mini hall, in position to draft the best OT, and then with the news that Hooker will be fully recovered and ready to go for training camp, the Colts get Hooker in the 2nd round?

Because there is no guarantee hooker is going to be there with that 35th pick.  

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

How did Stroud remind you of Hurts?   Hurts is a runner. Stroud is far from that

Hurts is very poised and does not get rattled easily. I see a lot of those same traits in Stroud. Hurts was more likely to run in college and I am not sure if Stroud can match that element of Hurts game. However, Hurts spent last year learning how to manage the Eagles offense as they heavily ran the ball with their committee of RB's and the QB. They completely opened up the offense for Hurts this year. Hurts was not just back there taking off anytime he got pressure. Many of his runs this year were designed runs. I could see Stroud possibly developed in the same way if he indeed can create with his legs like he showed in the Georgia game. In the film I watched of Stroud and Young, Stroud was more willing to stand in the pocket longer and make his throws compared to Young. Maybe because of his height, Young appeared to bail from the pocket much quicker. The thing that impressed me with Young is how skilled he was with his legs and accuracy once he left the pocket. That wows a lot of people who watch his tape. I am not sure I want my 5'10" slim-framed QB out of the pocket that much on the NFL level. It is such a rugged league so it is hard to tell if Young's size and stature will holdup to the NFL rigor. Both QB's are very accurate although Stroud is more deliberate.

Archived