Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which rookie qb matches Steichen's offensive style?

Kyle

On 2/14/2023 at 9:55 AM, Kyle said:

He obviously is coming from the Eagles aggressive offense under Jalen Hurts.  They used a lot of designed qb runs, and on short yardage they go with extra TE and FB and pound it with the QB.

Jaylen Hurts 6'1, 220, 4.5 40 time

All signs point to young, Stroud, or Levis for us at QB. 

So who is our Jalen Hurts?

Bryce Young  6 ft 190, 4.52

CJ Stroud 6'3  218,  4.74

Will Levis 6'3  230,  4.72

Where did you get 40 times?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Young is not 170.   The report said he was “168 at some point in his career.”   That very likely means when he was a freshman.   Odds are the kid is at least 190.  

Young is reportedly trying to put on pounds through a good weight program. 

We’ll find out in two weeks the exact number turns out to be. 

I wonder what diet they have the kid on......

32 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

One is too small and one is too raw? I get it - but, they are talented and if either of those were the selection then I will support them until I don't.......lol

Not being a smart * but is it a typo and should've been Bryce Young?   Or is it a player I don't know of?

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Levis has a 65 percent completion percentage right now and has been at 60 or better his whole career. Richardson hasnt even had that many snaps which makes him even more of a project. Levis is accurate, but i will say he can get wild and risky sometimes.

I’d like to see what that percentage is vs the top teams. I think he pushes his accuracy numbers up vs poor competition. He’s also had 4 games of roughly 100 yards passing (often against poor defenses).  Guy seems like all hype & hope to me.  And I don’t want Richardson either.  Neither are nowhere near close to the QB that Young has shown himself to be.  No need to hope and hype.  Just go watch the tape.

10 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I’d like to see what that percentage is vs the top teams. I think he pushes his accuracy numbers up vs poor competition. He’s also had 4 games of roughly 100 yards passing (often against poor defenses).  Guy seems like all hype & hope to me.  And I don’t want Richardson either.  Neither are nowhere near close to the QB that Young has shown himself to be.  No need to hope and hype.  Just go watch the tape.

I'd be good with Young,  But I don't want to listen to the *ing from people when Ballard has to invest more into the Oline to protect him.     And he will have to do that and people will * 

19 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

That percentage has held his whole career and it's gone up the past to seasons to 65 percent.  What more do you need to know he's at the very least a better passer than Richardson?

5 hours ago, krunk said:

If Stroud is gone and we stick to our history of not picking short players(bryce young) i would not take Richardson if Will Levis available. Will doesnt run 4.4 but hes definitely a very capable runner and hes accurate. And i think a good quarterback coach could improve his accuracy even more over time. I just dont think you take a project at QB or select based on high potential with this high a pick. You go with the safer pick who is already meeting most if not all your criteria right now. Especially if youre looking for long term stability. I think Levis is a better passer like right now and he sees the field better so i dont have to wonder what he may be in the future if i can get him fixed.

Id be interested to see where Richardson is on the Colts board since one of their highest requirements is the QB must be accurate and Richardson is not. And when they said accurate i took that to mean right now accurate, not accurate if we can fix him in the future. The only way you make a move like the Richardson move is if you have a vet like Carr in place and you are comfortable grooming Richardson behind that For 2 to 3 years. From everything ive seen we dont have any plans to sign a long term veteran QB so my bet is Richardson wont be our target.

If anderson was there at 4 and the top 3 were gone id take anderson they trade back to the first to get our rookie qb on five year deal

32 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I'd be good with Young,  But I don't want to listen to the *ing from people when Ballard has to invest more into the Oline to protect him.     And he will have to do that and people will * 

I hear you. But all of these guys need protection. The so called bigger guys think they’re Superman and recklessly take bigger hits. Remember Andrew Luck and Carson Wentz 2 years ago?  Levis and Richardson are just as reckless.  And when they get dinged they’re play suffers for it.  Stroud also likes to hang too long in the pocket as well (taking out the Georgia game).  

I like Young because he has a naturally innate ability to feel the rush and slide or reverse out when needed.  Then he’s looking to throw the ball and not run over 250 pound linebackers.  But his greatest attributes that lift him above the other 3 QB’s is his ability to diagnose the defense pre snap and make throws with anticipation.  More often than not, the ball comes out accurate and on time.  Even when he has to go through multiple progressions.

His tape is ridiculously elite at everything a QB needs to do.  His only knock is his size.  But that has never stopped him from dominating the best competition and he’s never used it as an excuse.  There’s a reason why all the former QB’s rave about him when they watch his tape.  He’s the best QB in this class above the shoulders. And also the most dynamic creator outside of structure. He’s the most fundamentally sound with his mechanics and lives and breathes football and is an avid film study guy.  Clear QB1 imo.  No hype or hope needed.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

That percentage has held his whole career and it's gone up the past to seasons to 65 percent.  What more do you need to know he's at the very least a better passer than Richardson?

No doubt he’s ahead of Richardson in the accuracy department.  Richardson could’ve used another year of starts imo.  He’s really reminding me of Lance.  Lots of hype and hope when the tape doesn’t show a 1st round QB at all.

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If anderson was there at 4 and the top 3 were gone id take anderson they trade back to the first to get our rookie qb on five year deal

I guess but I just think there's no way in heck we miss drafting a QB at 4.  I think they have a plan to move up in place as well. 

I can't see us missing this one. 

13 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

No doubt he’s ahead of Richardson in the accuracy department.  Richardson could’ve used another year of starts imo.  He’s really reminding me of Lance.  Lots of hype and hope when the tape doesn’t show a 1st round QB at all.

I think Lance problem was he's a small school guy.  I think he will eventually get there. 

I think Richardson could be good faster than Lance but again I wouldn't spend a top

5 pick on the potential of a 50 percent completion percentage QB getting better when most of them don't.  I could see if this was a pass rusher we are talking about. 

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think Lance problem was he's a small school guy.  I think he will eventually get there. 

I think Richardson could be good faster than Lance but again I wouldn't spend a top

5 pick on the potential of a QB getting better when most of them don't.  I could see if

this was a pass rusher we are talking about. 

Lance only had like 12 starts or something like that. And I don’t think he ever threw for 250 yards in a game.  He was a huge reach.  I think Richardson would be the same but he’s definitely a more dynamic runner.  

40 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I hear you. But all of these guys need protection. The so called bigger guys think they’re Superman and recklessly take bigger hits. Remember Andrew Luck and Carson Wentz 2 years ago?  Levis and Richardson are just as reckless.  And when they get dinged they’re play suffers for it.  Stroud also likes to hang too long in the pocket as well (taking out the Georgia game).  

I like Young because he has a naturally innate ability to feel the rush and slide or reverse out when needed.  Then he’s looking to throw the ball and not run over 250 pound linebackers.  But his greatest attributes that lift him above the other 3 QB’s is his ability to diagnose the defense pre snap and make throws with anticipation.  More often than not, the ball comes out accurate and on time.  Even when he has to go through multiple progressions.

His tape is ridiculously elite at everything a QB needs to do.  His only knock is his size.  But that has never stopped him from dominating the best competition and he’s never used it as an excuse.  There’s a reason why all the former QB’s rave about him when they watch his tape.  He’s the best QB in this class above the shoulders. And also the most dynamic creator outside of structure. He’s the most fundamentally sound with his mechanics and lives and breathes football and is an avid film study guy.  Clear QB1 imo.  No hype or hope needed.

I see a short career like Tua if we don't have TOP protection.   I think Tua is close to done.    If people don't want to waste a pick on a project like AR then we shouldn't want one that we have to close our eyes every time he get hit 

I'm good with him as long as OC RG is addressed and also another backup LT 

20 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I see a short career like Tua if we don't have TOP protection.   I think Tua is close to done.    If people don't want to waste a pick on a project like AR then we shouldn't want one that we have to close our eyes every time he get hit 

I'm good with him as long as OC RG is addressed and also another backup LT 

But if you watch Tua, he doesn’t seem like a natural athlete. He falls so destructively. Every QB gets knocked down but Tua seems to always fall head first. It’s really weird. Young is much more of a natural athlete in that he knows how to get down and avoid the big hits.  Tua has had major injuries his last 3 years of football. From college to the pros.  Young has avoided them thus far. But we definitely gotta improve the line. We couldn’t stop a stunt for nothing. 

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

One is too small and one is too raw? I get it - but, they are talented and if either of those were the selection then I will support them until I don't.......lol

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Not being a smart * but is it a typo and should've been Bryce Young?   Or is it a player I don't know of?

Yep, on one hand I was bringing to light the typo on Bryce Allen. I'm unaware of such a person in this year's draft, and assume they meant Bryce Young.

Richardson? If we took him, I'd wait and see, and trust we knew what we were doing, but with all we know about him right now? Trade way back in the 1st is the earliest I'd feel comfy taking him. Regardless, I'm not fond of running QBs, so it'd be difficult for me to root for the guy.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh? 

What team drafts a rookie and doesn’t bring a vet backup to at least help in the sidelines and the QB room?    Even if the team has no plans to play the vet, they still want him to help the kid. 

I don’t understand your viewpoint. 

Most of their learning will come from coaching.  Vet QBs as clipboard holders have minimal impact.  See Foles etc

im alright with this being an unpopular opinion. 

Honestly, you guys and gals really have to stop the Bryce Young talk.  He is WAY too small. I remember back in 2012 when they were talking about Luck or RGIII, one of the comments that Irsay made was that Luck was much bigger and more durable, and he was right.  RGIII had slight a build. Yet, he would look like King Kong next to Bryce Young. I think Bryce Young has a great skillset. But I think he will end up like Tua, just hurt all the time.

So I think of Kyler Murray as one of the smaller QBs I have ever seen.  He is 5'10", 205.  Ok, in this picture, he looks much stockier and at least the same height and Bryce Young. Sorry, this guy is going to get killed in the NFL.  And CJ Stroud is a product of the system at Ohio State. A less mobile Justin Fields, who will never be a very good throwing QB.

WhatsAppImage2023-02-15at20_08_52.jpg.de1fce6954980b98a6cb0bea2242a66b.jpg

9 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

U will need to build Hadrians Wall to protect  Young.

43 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Honestly, you guys and gals really have to stop the Bryce Young talk.  He is WAY too small. I remember back in 2012 when they were talking about Luck or RGIII, one of the comments that Irsay made was that Luck was much bigger and more durable, and he was right.  RGIII had slight a build. Yet, he would look like King Kong next to Bryce Young. I think Bryce Young has a great skillset. But I think he will end up like Tua, just hurt all the time.

So I think of Kyler Murray as one of the smaller QBs I have ever seen.  He is 5'10", 205.  Ok, in this picture, he looks much stockier and at least the same height and Bryce Young. Sorry, this guy is going to get killed in the NFL.  And CJ Stroud is a product of the system at Ohio State. A less mobile Justin Fields, who will never be a very good throwing QB.

If any of those are part  of the Colts future, I want no part of it lol.

Hi, first post here - I can’t believe i’m saying this but the idea of Richardson in a Steichen offense really excites me. The kid is young with Herculean traits and has easily the highest upside of any QB in the draft. Inaccuracy is definitely an issue but his stats are largely a product of inferior talent around him. Could probably even trade back for him and pick up an OL in the first too. 

2 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

The part about Stroud is so off its comical.

19 hours ago, OnePunchHarbaugh said:

Hi, first post here - I can’t believe i’m saying this but the idea of Richardson in a Steichen offense really excites me. The kid is young with Herculean traits and has easily the highest upside of any QB in the draft. Inaccuracy is definitely an issue but his stats are largely a product of inferior talent around him. Could probably even trade back for him and pick up an OL in the first too. 

Welcome! Don't let that be your last post. :)

19 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Yikes

If the picture is real, (I have no reason to believe otherwise)   Young is 5' 10" or LESS.....

If Murray is 205.......  Young COULD be 180

The tape wont lie

If he comes in at 5"10" and 180, he will slide

19 hours ago, OnePunchHarbaugh said:

Richardson is such a risk, but he has some physical gifts....

I go back and forth on him, but he has a LOW floor and a Highest ceiling

Lets say 15% chance to be successful

If this QB picked, FAILS.....Ballard will be fired

I would like to look at QB1, QB2 before QB4

Less Risk......

But....... nobody knows...... The scouts will take a HARD look at this choice

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Yikes

If the picture is real, (I have no reason to believe otherwise)   Young is 5' 10" or LESS.....

If Murray is 205.......  Young COULD be 180

The tape wont lie

If he comes in at 5"10" and 180, he will slide

Surely his team will get him up to 190's.

On 2/14/2023 at 10:55 AM, Kyle said:

He obviously is coming from the Eagles aggressive offense under Jalen Hurts.  They used a lot of designed qb runs, and on short yardage they go with extra TE and FB and pound it with the QB.

Jaylen Hurts 6'1, 220, 4.5 40 time

All signs point to young, Stroud, or Levis for us at QB. 

So who is our Jalen Hurts?

Bryce Young  6 ft 190, 4.52

CJ Stroud 6'3  218,  4.74

Will Levis 6'3  230,  4.72

Stroud or Levis! Young too short/little! Let's get this right!

44 minutes ago, Nancy said:

Stroud or Levis! Young too short/little! Let's get this right!

The thing is no one knows who the right one is. When there is no clear cut one over the other it can become a huge gamble. Even the so called draft gurus cannot come to a agreement on who is the pick. 

Now Ballard is putting not only his career on the line, the Colts future as well. That's a huge risk when there isn't a true number 1 QB available.  

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing is no one knows who the right one is. When there is no clear cut one over the other it can become a huge gamble. Even the so called draft gurus cannot come to a agreement on who is the pick. 

Now Ballard is putting not only his career on the line, the Colts future as well. That's a huge risk when there isn't a true number 1 QB available.  

Exactly right.  With all draft picks a gamble and all things being equal you have to fall back on measurables , arm talent, NFL ready body types. I'm not going to complain one way or the other though. If Ballard drafts a Young , then my moneys on them knowing something we don't. 

On 2/15/2023 at 10:03 PM, lennymoore24 said:

Im going to say based on this picture Young will measure out almost exactly the same height as Kyler Murray. I think this pic really shows an accurate depict of his real height.

I feel that Levis is somewhere between Wentz and Luck...better than Wentz coming out but obviously not up where Luck was...but he is a big guy with all of the tools needed...played hurt and on a bad team this year, but I think he will be very good in the NFL, if we put a good team around him and coach Steichen do for him what Dungy did for Peyton (made him realize it's ok to throw it away or just go down rather than take a big hit etc)

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Whomever they pick. I'm down with it. But I will also say I hope we have learned our lesson from how we mishandled Andrew Luck. You pick a franchise QB and you BETTER protect that franchise. If that means picking OL and skill position players high until you support him then THAT is what you do. You don't surround him with mid round picks and bargain basement free agents. 

2 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Whomever they pick. I'm down with it. But I will also say I hope we have learned our lesson from how we mishandled Andrew Luck. You pick a franchise QB and you BETTER protect that franchise. If that means picking OL and skill position players high until you support him then THAT is what you do. You don't surround him with mid round picks and bargain basement free agents. 

I have no doubt Ballard understands the importance of the Oline.  I am actually shocked how he handled LT and RG this year. But Kelly took such a huge step back  and really caught Ballard off guard. I don’t think LT was a huge issue. It was more of center and RG.

Going off what Steichen said during his press conference I think the QB they get will either be CJ Stroud or Bryce Young. 

Going off The Draft Network their strengths line up with Steichen well:

CJ Stroud

Top Reasons to Buy In:

Accuracy

Passing-game instincts

Production

Bryce Young

Top Reasons to Buy In:

Accuracy and ball placement 

High football IQ  

Ability to improvise 

Poise in pressure moments 

Now I think Levis and Richardson don't fit what he wants mostly because of the accuracy problem and processing speed.

Will Levis

Top Reasons For Concern:

Slow processing

Turnovers

Decision-making

Anthony Richardson

Top Reasons For Concern:

Throwing mechanics  

Accuracy

On 2/15/2023 at 1:54 PM, Smoke317 said:

I wouldn't say  his only knock is size when he may only be 5 '10 and some have reported his playing weight at 165. Could you imagine a frame like that holding up over an NFL career? People also say he just needs to add weight. Well it is not that easy. He looks like a classic ectomorph and putting on weight is probably pretty hard for him. I mean, he comes from maybe the best weight program in college sports, Alabama. Why has he not focused on weight gains in the last 3 years? Maybe he has and just cannot maintain his weight gains. I suspect it is very hard for him as he probably has to eat an insane amount of caloires to gain weight. Lets say he gains like 15 to 20 pounds. I bet half way through the season he is back to his original weight as he burns it off. Remember the stories of Marvin Harrison eating twinkies and the guys were amazed on how he stayed  so ripped. Plus, u have to consider that if he puts on 15 pounds or so it may not be friendly weight. He will most likely loose some of that shiftiness and elusiveness that makes him special. I am just saying that adding 15 pounds is not easy for some and has draw backs for others.

Archived