Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which rookie qb matches Steichen's offensive style?

Kyle

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Chris wants to leave some impression that we could go with a veteran...

That could be true but i dont think it matters much at all.  It will be obvious if we go into the draft without a starter on the team.  Nobody would buy that we are starting Sam or Foles all year

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look at colts nation daily seems people have a big thing like size really matters  hurts is 6'1 young is 6'0" you mean hurts is a great player because he is 1 inch taller ?. What really matters is his decision making its very  fast and accurate, next you all will be saying it matters what shoes he has on like MJ or Iverson haha. Bryce Young can just play ball and this coach will bring out the best in him .I think in right offense any of theses QB's will do ok but when it breaks down I would want young to have the ball he is rarely wrong and can run like hurts 4.5 in 40 dash ,so what's not to like.   BY THE WAY THANK YOU FOR PICKING THIS COACH MR IRSAY ANDMR BALLARD HES THE COACH I PICKED FOR THE COLTS                                    JUST MY 2 CENTS

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's fine, but I'm not going to lay that progress on the mind of Steichen.  I think Steichen probably plays to the QBs strengths, and Hurts' passing I think complements his running.  Like Cam Newton, he has to be a running threat for his passing to work.

Maybe Steichen can do that with Richardson, but I don't think Richardson is the passer or has the football knowledge Hurts had in college.

My point being is that Richardson is a gamble regardless of Steichen's history with QBs.  JMO.  I prefer Steichen to make progress with the other QBs who give him more to work with at this point.  Its still a passing league, not an athlete league as far as Qbs are concerned.

I agree fully with this assessment. Richardson can run the offense that Hurts does, but we don’t know if he will be able to develop the way Hurts did as a passer. I also think Levis isn’t so far off from Hurts that he couldn’t run that style of offense.

I get the Richardson connection, but I think people are playing too much into the Hurts comparison.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Orlovsky said that the two QBs that are closest to Herbert and Hurts...the two QBs Steichen has been around....are Levis and Richardson because of the athleticism and size combo.   Both Stroud and Young fail one of those criteria,

https://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-draft-notes-bryce-young-c-j-stroud-anthony-richardson/

4 minutes ago, ad24rouse said:

1A - Stroud

1B - Young

-----

Distant 3A - Levis

Distant 3B - Richardson

Young and Stroud produced at the highest levels of college football. Levis and Richardson struggled at the same level. This isn't rocket science.

https://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-draft-notes-bryce-young-c-j-stroud-anthony-richardson/

4 minutes ago, ad24rouse said:

1A - Stroud

1B - Young

-----

Distant 3A - Levis

Distant 3B - Richardson

Young and Stroud produced at the highest levels of college football. Levis and Richardson struggled at the same level. This isn't rocket science.

Alabama and Ohio Stat qbs produce  at a high level cause they play with NFL caliber play makers. Now that sams production does not translate well to the NFL

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I agree fully with this assessment. Richardson can run the offense that Hurts does, but we don’t know if he will be able to develop the way Hurts did as a passer. I also think Levis isn’t so far off from Hurts that he couldn’t run that style of offense.

I get the Richardson connection, but I think people are playing too much into the Hurts comparison.

Pretty sure hurts was a good passer in college. Richardson just isn’t. 

3 hours ago, SONAR said:

I look at colts nation daily seems people have a big thing like size really matters  hurts is 6'1 young is 6'0" you mean hurts is a great player because he is 1 inch taller ?. What really matters is his decision making its very  fast and accurate, next you all will be saying it matters what shoes he has on like MJ or Iverson haha. Bryce Young can just play ball and this coach will bring out the best in him .I think in right offense any of theses QB's will do ok but when it breaks down I would want young to have the ball he is rarely wrong and can run like hurts 4.5 in 40 dash ,so what's not to like.   BY THE WAY THANK YOU FOR PICKING THIS COACH MR IRSAY ANDMR BALLARD HES THE COACH I PICKED FOR THE COLTS                                    JUST MY 2 CENTS

College measurements are usually fluff. Most scouts that have seen young in person say that he’s closer to 5’10”. Also, the weight is a bigger issue. He’s reportedly around 170 lbs which is lite for any position.

Richardson also started in 2 different offensive systems under 2 different head coaches with a rebuilding team. Florida was very underwhelming at the WR and TE positions the past 2 seasons.

Alabama and Ohio State had nfl players at those positions, so talent was abundant.

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Alabama and Ohio Stat qbs produce  at a high level cause they play with NFL caliber play makers. Now that sams production does not translate well to the NFL

It certainly hasn't for Ohio State QB's.  Outside of Fields (still unknown) can anyone name a successful NLF QB who came from Ohio State?

20 hours ago, Kyle said:

He obviously is coming from the Eagles aggressive offense under Jalen Hurts.  They used a lot of designed qb runs, and on short yardage they go with extra TE and FB and pound it with the QB.

Jaylen Hurts 6'1, 220, 4.5 40 time

All signs point to young, Stroud, or Levis for us at QB. 

So who is our Jalen Hurts?

Bryce Young  6 ft 190, 4.52

CJ Stroud 6'3  218,  4.74

Will Levis 6'3  230,  4.72

Richardson

10 hours ago, ad24rouse said:

1A - Stroud

1B - Young

-----

Distant 3A - Levis

Distant 3B - Richardson

Just because a qb was good in college doesnt mean they will be at nfl level. With Richardson and Levis it is about are they a student of the game. If you watch the tape of Richardson he is better at going through progressions then practically every qb in the draft, but his mechanics are what affect his accuracy

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What?    You need a vet to go with the rookie.   You’ve got $17 million tied up in Matt Ryan.   Money is going to be tight.   These are the best options.    

All were on an NFL roster last year and will be again this year.  

The better options you might want are either going to be too expensive or they want a better opportunity with a better team. 

I bet we see some restructuring of contracts to free up some money. Quinten Nelson should definitely restructure.

22 hours ago, stitches said:

I said it in the other thread... the best thing about Steichen is that he's shown he can work with and have success with variety of different QBs. IMO you shouldn't pigeonhole yourself into any particular mold ... but you probably should be looking for high potential if you trust your coach's ability to develop a QB. 

IMO the STYLISTIC comparisons from Steichen's past as OC and QB coach vs the current draft class of QBs is something like this:

-CJ Stroud ~ Philip Rivers

-Will Levis ~ Justin Herbert

-Jalen Hurts ~ Anthony Richardson... 

I'd be good with any of them(or Bryce Young) as long as they believe that's the best guy in the long term... 

If Stroud is gone and we stick to our history of not picking short players(bryce young) i would not take Richardson if Will Levis available. Will doesnt run 4.4 but hes definitely a very capable runner and hes accurate. And i think a good quarterback coach could improve his accuracy even more over time. I just dont think you take a project at QB or select based on high potential with this high a pick. You go with the safer pick who is already meeting most if not all your criteria right now. Especially if youre looking for long term stability. I think Levis is a better passer like right now and he sees the field better so i dont have to wonder what he may be in the future if i can get him fixed.

Id be interested to see where Richardson is on the Colts board since one of their highest requirements is the QB must be accurate and Richardson is not. And when they said accurate i took that to mean right now accurate, not accurate if we can fix him in the future. The only way you make a move like the Richardson move is if you have a vet like Carr in place and you are comfortable grooming Richardson behind that For 2 to 3 years. From everything ive seen we dont have any plans to sign a long term veteran QB so my bet is Richardson wont be our target.

22 hours ago, stitches said:

I said it in the other thread... the best thing about Steichen is that he's shown he can work with and have success with variety of different QBs. IMO you shouldn't pigeonhole yourself into any particular mold ... but you probably should be looking for high potential if you trust your coach's ability to develop a QB. 

IMO the STYLISTIC comparisons from Steichen's past as OC and QB coach vs the current draft class of QBs is something like this:

-CJ Stroud ~ Philip Rivers

-Will Levis ~ Justin Herbert

-Jalen Hurts ~ Anthony Richardson... 

I'd be good with any of them(or Bryce Young) as long as they believe that's the best guy in the long term... 

Yep. I'm very impressed with him. When you have a coach with that mindset, it gives the team a lot of possibilities. Colts fans should feel optimistic.

From the Athletic:

The coach explained Tuesday that vital to his success so far has been matching scheme to the QB’s talents, and not being rigid in approach. 

My philosophy is we’re going to throw to score points and run to win,” Steichen said. “Now, that can look different each week. Sometimes I’ve went into games saying we’re going to throw it a bunch, then we end up running it 45 times. Flow is going to dictate that.”

https://theathletic.com/4200432/2023/02/15/shane-steichen-colts-head-coach-jim-irsay?source=user-shared-article

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

If Stroud is gone and we stick to our history of not picking short players(bryce young) i would not take Richardson if Will Levis available. Will doesnt run 4.4 but hes definitely a very capable runner and hes accurate. And i think a good quarterback coach could improve his accuracy even more over time. I just dont think you take a project at QB or select based on high potential with this high a pick. You go with the safer pick who is already meeting most if not all your criteria right now. Especially if youre looking for long term stability. I think Levis is a better passer like right now and he sees the field better so i dont have to wonder what he may be in the future if i can get him fixed.

Id be interested to see where Richardson is on the Colts board since one of their highest requirements is the QB must be accurate and Richardson is not. And when they said accurate i took that to mean right now accurate, not accurate if we can fix him in the future.

I wish I could interview Young, Stroud, and Levis. I would have my mind made up then. Regarding talent, Young would be my guy but I don't know any of them personally. When Leaf interviewed with us, it sealed his fate, Peyton nailed his interview and even said he would bring Indy a SB.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

College measurements are usually fluff. Most scouts that have seen young in person say that he’s closer to 5’10”. Also, the weight is a bigger issue. He’s reportedly around 170 lbs which is lite for any position.

Young is not 170.   The report said he was “168 at some point in his career.”   That very likely means when he was a freshman.   Odds are the kid is at least 190.  

Young is reportedly trying to put on pounds through a good weight program. 

We’ll find out in two weeks the exact number turns out to be. 

17 hours ago, DougDew said:

Orlovsky said that the two QBs that are closest to Herbert and Hurts...the two QBs Steichen has been around....are Levis and Richardson because of the athleticism and size combo.   Both Stroud and Young fail one of those criteria,

But those aren’t the traits Steichen himself listed as the traits he looks for in a QB.  That’s Orlovsky talking his own thoughts. Shane said accuracy & decision making. Richardson & Levis fail those 2 criteria. The criteria that the coach mentioned. 

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im guessing we won’t keep Foles, and I’m guessing the Colts won’t keep Sam,  but that’s only a guess.   

More guesses….   If you want another inexpensive vet to help with the rookie, these are the possible inexpensive candidates…

— Brissett

— Mariotta

— Trubisky

— Heinicke

These are guys you might get for roughly  $4-6 mill….   +/-

i don't think we need a vet backup tbh. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Id be interested to see where Richardson is on the Colts board since one of their highest requirements is the QB must be accurate and Richardson is not. And when they said accurate i took that to mean right now accurate, not accurate if we can fix him in the future. The only way you make a move like the Richardson move is if you have a vet like Carr in place and you are comfortable grooming Richardson behind that For 2 to 3 years. From everything ive seen we dont have any plans to sign a long term veteran QB so my bet is Richardson wont be our target.

Levis is not accurate. And his decision making is poor. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

i don't think we need a vet backup tbh. 

Huh? 

What team drafts a rookie and doesn’t bring a vet backup to at least help in the sidelines and the QB room?    Even if the team has no plans to play the vet, they still want him to help the kid. 

I don’t understand your viewpoint. 

23 hours ago, chad72 said:

He also coached Herbert, let us not forget and if I had to take a stab at it, Stroud and Levis fit Steichen the best. Both Herbert and Hurts were bigger and stronger coming out of the draft than Young, IMO. Richardson as a project, is very hard to project but I can definitely see him becoming better than all QBs when it is all said and done, with great QB coaching.

Jalen Hurts was stocky, 6'1", 222 lbs when he was drafted: 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jalen-hurts/32004855-5276-7022-85cf-a74490936f42

If we can move back with the Lions or Seahawks, and draft Richardson, with a bridge QB in mind, I would not have any issues whatsoever, letting him learn and not playing him till Year 2.

Also coached Rivers and really praises Rivers helping him develop as a coach. So this thread makes an incorrect assumption that Steichen has a system. Hopefully we don’t spend a lot of draft assets moving up. Of the four or so qb’s most people name I don’t see a Luck or Manning sure winner.

11 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Levis is not accurate. And his decision making is poor. 

Levis has a 65 percent completion percentage right now and has been at 60 or better his whole career. Richardson hasnt even had that many snaps which makes him even more of a project. Levis is accurate, but i will say he can get wild and risky sometimes.

18 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

But those aren’t the traits Steichen himself listed as the traits he looks for in a QB.  That’s Orlovsky talking his own thoughts. Shane said accuracy & decision making. Richardson & Levis fail those 2 criteria. The criteria that the coach mentioned. 

I kind of feel like coaches think they can fix accuracy if they think it's connected with mechanics. This is not to say that most can, but IMO a lot of them do think that... 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

So does this mean you would have passed on Joe Burrow if he was a Buckeye?

No, but it would have made me more cautious and look into it more.   It's just a trend that needs to garner caution but doesn't mean an Ohio State QB can't be successful.  

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Orlovsky was simply talking about the last two QBs Steichen has worked with that have gotten him success.  So if Steichen wanted to continue with that streak, Levis and Richardson are the athletic guys with size that compare to Herbert and Hurts.  Its a valid observation, IMO.

Steichen's own words may mean something different.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Levis has a 65 percent completion percentage right now and has been at 60 or better his whole career. Richardson hasnt even had that many snaps which makes him even more of a project. Levis is accurate, but i will say he can get wild and risky sometimes.

Yeah, I don't get the comments that say Richardson just needs some coaching and then he'll learn how to throw a football, but that Levis' issues in accuracy are something that needs a bigger fix.

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

No, but it would have made me more cautious and look into it more.   It's just a trend that needs to garner caution but doesn't mean an Ohio State QB can't be successful.  

I just don't think it matters. Most QB prospects don't have a ton of success in the NFL, so the sample size from any school is going to be too small to be viable. Aside from specific variables that influence how the QB develops and plays -- system, training, supporting cast, opponents, etc. -- it should be a non factor.

Archived