Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HOZER said:

I am feeling a bit better about things…..as long as he works out better then the last Philadelphia product……:facepalm: Saturday as Oline coach, if he changes his mind?

Now let’s strengthen our oline and go get Stroud I think he’ll be the best fit for us now. D was good, hopefully Leonard comes back healthy.

Good to hear you are feeling better about it.

https://theathletic.com/4187749/2023/02/14/shane-steichen-hire-colts?source=user-shared-article

Just now, strt182 said:

Now that it's official, what's the line on how many games before the first fire Shane post comes out? :worms::hide:

It will take a few years because with a rookie QB, Shane and Ballard get 2 years at minimum, even more for Shane than Ballard. Ballard's roster needs to make the playoffs by Year 2. Then we will go from there.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

It took off when they added AJ Brown 

Aj Brown as a big factor, but Hurts' amazing and continued improvement and Steichen's play calling played a big role.

Believe Eagles were 2-6 with Sirianni calling plays and 23-7 since Steichen took over.

Just now, chad72 said:

It will take a few years because with a rookie QB, Shane and Ballard get 2 years at minimum, even more for Shane than Ballard. Ballard's roster needs to make the playoffs by Year 2. Then we will go from there.

I doubt it around here ;) . Or maybe there will just be more fire Ballard and then we get to worry if  Saturday is hired as new GM. :lol:.   Will be an interesting presser coming up this afternoon.  

I'm pretty excited. I do hope the media asks some good questions they seem to underwhelm alot imho

19 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Now that it's official, what's the line on how many games before the first fire Shane post comes out? :worms::hide:

If you read some of the posts about the Eagles offense I would say they have already started.  Because according to some the only thing the Eagles do is short dump off passes and run the QB.

57 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There was a lot more going on with the Oline then talent.  We might even go younger at center. That’s one area I trust Ballard to fix quickly.

I know, I was just saying that a ham sandwich could probably improve the Colts Offense from last season, given how bad it was in all facets of the game. 

There will be the inevitable debate over Steichen.  IMO, the comparison for me is going to be an actual functioning NFL offense, like what we had with Rivers or Wentz, not that we improved from last season.  That's a bit of a low standard.

Congratulations to Mr Irsay and Mr Ballard for completing a thorough search for the next HC of our beloved Colts! Looking forward to learning more about Coach Steichen and watching him put together his staff. Can't wait to see what happens! when is opening day? :applause:

Here is a littany of stats on the Eagles offense under Steichen in case some think it is limited:

Steichen served as the offensive coordinator of the Philadelphia Eagles the last two seasons and helped the team reach Super Bowl LVII. During his two seasons as offensive coordinator, Steichen coordinated an offense that ranked first in the NFL in rushing yards per game (153.6), rushing yards (5,224) and rushing touchdowns (57) over that time frame. Philadelphia also ranked tied for first in fewest interceptions (19) and third in fourth down conversion percentage (58.92 percent). Additionally, the Eagles offense set new single-season franchise records in third down conversion percentage in back-to-back seasons.

In 2022, he guided a Philadelphia offense that finished in the top 10 in numerous categories, including yards per game (389.1 – third), points per game (28.1 – third), rushing yards per game (147.6 – fifth), passing yards per game (241.5 – ninth), fewest turnovers (19 – tied-fifth), first downs per game (22.6 – third), third down percentage (franchise-record 45.95 percent – fourth), fourth down percentage (68.75 percent – fourth), red zone percentage (67.80 percent – third), goal to go percentage (82.35 percent – fifth), points scored on their first offensive possession (62 – first) and plays of 10+ yards (253 – second). The Eagles were one of just two teams to finish in the top 10 in rushing yards per game and passing yards per game.

Steichen worked with quarterback Jalen Hurts, who set single-season career highs in every passing category, including completions (306), passing yards (3,701), passing touchdowns (22), completion percentage (66.5) and passer rating (101.5). Hurts also had a team high and single-season career-high 13 rushing touchdowns. He finished fourth in the NFL in passer rating and 10th in passing yards. Philadelphia was one of just two teams to have two 1,000-yard receivers (A.J. Brown and DeVonta Smith) as well as a 1,000-yard rusher (Miles Sanders). In his first season with Philadelphia, Brown established single-season career highs in receptions (88) and receiving yards (1,496), while tying his single-season career high in receiving touchdowns (11). Smith also had a career year as he caught 95 passes for 1,196 yards and seven touchdowns (all single-season career highs). Brown (fourth) and Smith (ninth) each ranked in the top 10 in receiving yards and Brown tied for third in receiving touchdowns. Sanders finished fifth in the league in rushing after registering 259 carries for 1,269 yards (4.9 avg.) and 11 touchdowns (all single-season career highs).

https://www.wane.com/top-stories/colts-name-new-head-coach/

46 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Steichen had a huge part in that offense from what I hear and he called the plays all year, as well as half of the 2021 season. 

I get that, but at the end of the day it's still Siriani's offense so the blow isn't as bad

Lots of excitement on here.   While I think it is a good hire, we won't know for a while.  he's never been a head coach so he may not be good at it.   Is he going to call the plays like Reich did?   Didn't work well with Reich.   We need a good AC.   Would an experienced OC want to work for a 37 year old coach?  

5 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

So glad this happened and the Jeff stuff can be put to rest. Now I REALLY want them to get Stroud and a true #1 receiver. 

I like Stroud, he reminds me of Hurts a good bit. Not sure he is as mobile as Hurts but I think he has time to develop that part of his game.

6 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

So glad this happened and the Jeff stuff can be put to rest. Now I REALLY want them to get Stroud and a true #1 receiver. 

From what I read, there may not be a true number one receiver in the draft or free agency this year.   Some high level twos, but maybe not a true one. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

From what I read, there may not be a true number one receiver in the draft or free agency this year.   Some high level twos, but maybe not a true one. 

Might have to wait for Marvin Harrison Jr. next year! Might be good if we select Stroud this year and pair him with his top WR next year.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess all those negative fans that thought Irsay couldn't draw a good HC were dreadfully wrong.  

You all know who you are.  

Plus those who kept saying the entire coaching search was a sham and a waste of time for all involved because irsay was obviously going to hire his buddy Jeff

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Two years?  I don’t think so even with a rookie quarterback.  We are not doing a complete rebuild.  We have a very good defense and special teams.  One of the best running backs in the league if not the best.  An improved OL will go a long way.  500 and below teams make the playoffs in the league now. It’s common for teams to go from last to first in their division.  It happens all the time.  I’m expecting a playoff spot.  Anything less is a disappointment with our roster.  Even with a rookie quarterback.  I would bet our new coach and front office feel the same way too.  I doubt they are on a two year plan.

Archived