Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It never stops with a few of them (especially Florio ) talking about Irsay like Jim is unstable. Espn has had a long standing issue with Irsay that goes way back. It started years ago with Mike Wilbon saying the apple don't fall far from the tree between Robert and Jim. 

Anyone that has been around long enough knows different. 

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.   A heads up….  A very long post here!

I’m on record since shortly after I arrived that I like Irsay.   I like him as an owner, and I like him as a person, flaws included.   I like flawed people.   

Honestly, I try to keep my distance  from opinion people.   I do that not just in sports, but other entertainment as well, and also in politics too.   I want my information from news people not opinion people.   

I used to really enjoy Wilbon and Kornheiser, but I think they’ve changed over the years, and not for the better.  The more popular they got, the more money they made, and it seemed like the less they worked.  Feels to me like they’re phoning it in and having fun.   I think both are in love with the sound of their own voice.   

Florio to me is an odd duck.  He’s a lawyer by trade and I’m kinda hit and miss with him.   Hot and cold.  Too many people who I know and respect are not fans of his, and that tells me something.  

All that said….   I think this was Irsay’s worst year as an owner in my time as a Colts fan and I suspect dating back to the beginning of the Manning-era.   Worst, by FAR!   I think he badly, badly hurt himself both with local and national media.   He looked nuts.  From the outside looking in, to those who don’t follow him every day,  I think Jim looked like he lost his mind.   If this had happened to the owner of another team, fans here would be laughing at that owner.    But it happened to our guy, and we know he means well, and loves his team and wants only the best.   So we may love him, but the outside world?   Not so much.   And most opinion people to me only have a superficial understanding of Irsay and this franchise.  

I think the reporters who cover this team have a better grasp of what’s going on.  But I can’t stress enough,  this was a terrible year for Irsay.   I hope his recent moves help get us back on track soon so outsiders will calm down and see how good the Colts can be. 

Sorry for the length of this post.  I thought there was a lot of ground to cover. 

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.   A heads up….  A very long post here!

I’m on record since shortly after I arrived that I like Irsay.   I like him as an owner, and I like him as a person, flaws included.   I like flawed people.   

Honestly, I try to keep my distance  from opinion people.   I do that not just in sports, but other entertainment as well, and also in politics too.   I want my information from news people not opinion people.   

I used to really enjoy Wilbon and Kornheiser, but I think they’ve changed over the years, and not for the better.  The more popular they got, the more money they made, and it seemed like the less they worked.  Feels to me like they’re phoning it in and having fun.   I think both are in love with the sound of their own voice.   

Florio to me is an odd duck.  He’s a lawyer by trade and I’m kinda hit and miss with him.   Hot and cold.  Too many people who I know and respect are not fans of his, and that tells me something.  

All that said….   I think this was Irsay’s worst year as an owner in my time as a Colts fan and I suspect dating back to the beginning of the Manning-era.   Worst, by FAR!   I think he badly, badly hurt himself both with local and national media.   He looked nuts.  From the outside looking in, to those who don’t follow him every day,  I think Jim looked like he lost his mind.   If this had happened to the owner of another team, fans here would be laughing at that owner.    But it happened to our guy, and we know he means well, and loves his team and wants only the best.   So we may love him, but the outside world?   Not so much.   And most opinion people to me only have a superficial understanding of Irsay and this franchise.  

I think the reporters who cover this team have a better grasp of what’s going on.  But I can’t stress enough,  this was a terrible year for Irsay.   I hope his recent moves help get us back on track soon so outsiders will calm down and see how good the Colts can be. 

Sorry for the length of this post.  I thought there was a lot of ground to cover. 

Largely agree... especially about Irsay's image ... but the thing I will continue pointing out is - even though his meddling was less than ideal... he was actually right about pretty much EVERYTHING he meddled about(except for the Saturday hire). I've posted this list before but it's worth posting again:

- he wanted Wentz out and HE WAS RIGHT that Wentz was not the solution for us

- reports are he was the one that wanted us to draft and raise our own at QB after Luck retired, but let Ballard and Frank try retread after retread THREE TIMES... before he finally is putting his foot down now. HE WAS RIGHT and IS RIGHT right now

- he wanted Matt Ryan benched and HE WAS RIGHT that he needed to be benched, which was confirmed twice over after Ryan was reinstated as a starter and then benched again by another coach.

- he wanted Sam Ehlinger to play after Ryan's benching instead of Foles. AND HE WAS RIGHT. We needed to see what we have in Sam Ehlinger if we are going to be spending big draft resources on a QB on the off-chance that we have some diamond in the rough with Ehlinger.

- he fired Frank in the middle of the season after this team looked soulless and unprepared in series of games. HE WAS RIGHT that Frank needed to go. (I'm not 100% certain he needed to do it in the middle of the season, but oh well.. )

- he hired Jeff Saturday over the objections from Ballard it seems. This is the one that is a clearcut mistake... but it was incredibly inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. We can argue this one hurt Jim Irsay and his image on the national stage much more than it hurt the Colts. Hell, we got a top 5 pick out of it and it doesn't seem to have hurt our ability to attract the best HC candidates for interviews and one might argue that we got the top candidate(sans Payton, who we were never going to get while needing a QB and having to give up a 1st to get him)

This is not an excuse for Jim and I definitely would prefer it if he hires people he trusts and lets them do their jobs rather than meddling, but this team was heading into a very unpleasant direction and I can see why he wanted to serve as a temporary corrective. Him letting Ballard conduct a legit HC search and actually listening to him for his HC hire is a very good sign that we might be returning towards a world where Jim will again take a backseat and let the people he's hired to do the football stuff, do their jobs. Here's to hope... :cheers:

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

Largely agree... especially about Irsay's image ... but the thing I will continue pointing out is - even though his meddling was less than ideal... he was actually right about pretty much EVERYTHING he meddled about(except for the Saturday hire). I've posted this list before but it's worth posting again:

- he wanted Wentz out and HE WAS RIGHT that Wentz was not the solution for us

- reports are he was the one that wanted us to draft and raise our own at QB after Luck retired, but let Ballard and Frank try retread after retread THREE TIMES... before he finally is putting his foot down now. HE WAS RIGHT and IS RIGHT right now

- he wanted Matt Ryan benched and HE WAS RIGHT that he needed to be benched, which was confirmed twice over after Ryan was reinstated as a starter and then benched again by another coach.

- he wanted Sam Ehlinger to play after Ryan's benching instead of Foles. AND HE WAS RIGHT. We needed to see what we have in Sam Ehlinger if we are going to be spending big draft resources on a QB on the off-chance that we have some diamond in the rough with Ehlinger.

- he fired Frank in the middle of the season after this team looked soulless and unprepared in series of games. HE WAS RIGHT that Frank needed to go. (I'm not 100% certain he needed to do it in the middle of the season, but oh well.. )

- he hired Jeff Saturday over the objections from Ballard it seems. This is the one that is a clearcut mistake... but it was incredibly inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. We can argue this one hurt Jim Irsay and his image on the national stage much more than it hurt the Colts. Hell, we got a top 5 pick out of it and it doesn't seem to have hurt our ability to attract the best HC candidates for interviews and one might argue that we got the top candidate(sans Payton, who we were never going to get while needing a QB and having to give up a 1st to get him)

This is not an excuse for Jim and I definitely would prefer it if he hires people he trusts and lets them do their jobs rather than meddling, but this team was heading into a very unpleasant direction and I can see why he wanted to serve as a temporary corrective. Him letting Ballard conduct a legit HC search and actually listening to him for his HC hire is a very good sign that we might be returning towards a world where Jim will again take a backseat and let the people he's hired to do the football stuff, do their jobs. Here's to hope... :cheers:

Stitches….    I disagree with almost every point that you made and would be happy to spell out my positions.   But I’ll hesitate until I hear back from you.   Do you want me to go down that road?   I’m ok if you want to avoid this,  I know the ship has sailed and many are tired of the topic.  But my views are about 180 degrees different from yours.  

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Stitches….    I disagree with almost every point that you made and would be happy to spell out my positions.   But I’ll hesitate until I hear back from you.   Do you want me to go down that road?   I’m ok if you want to avoid this,  I know the ship has sailed and many are tired of the topic.  But my views are about 180 degrees different from yours.  

You can if you want. I don't mind it. We can agree to disagree on some of those. But before you do, I want to make sure you understand that I do NOT like that he meddled. In an ideal situation it would be the GM and HC making those decisions on  their own. In an ideal situation he will trust his GM and HC to make those decisions. I think the process was horrible, and his image as a meddler over the last year or so is absolutely deserved. I just agree with the majority of the things he was pushing for. And again - still no excuse for him actually doing it. I've said it before and I will say it again - if he doesn't trust a the GM/HC to make those decisions he should fire them and hire people he trusts. 

48 minutes ago, stitches said:

You can if you want. I don't mind it. We can agree to disagree on some of those. But before you do, I want to make sure you understand that I do NOT like that he meddled. In an ideal situation it would be the GM and HC making those decisions on  their own. In an ideal situation he will trust his GM and HC to make those decisions. I think the process was horrible, and his image as a meddler over the last year or so is absolutely deserved. I just agree with the majority of the things he was pushing for. And again - still no excuse for him actually doing it. I've said it before and I will say it again - if he doesn't trust a the GM/HC to make those decisions he should fire them and hire people he trusts. 

Thanks.   I think I will respond, but it may take a day ir so before I knock this out.   So please give me a little time and I hope I’ll give you something worth considering.  

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.   I think I will respond, but it may take a day ir so before I knock this out.   So please give me a little time and I hope I’ll give you something worth considering.  

I think this needs to be debated in a different thread. 

Just saying?

Archived