Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steichan vs Bieniemy

Boss7894

Who Would You Rather Have Coach the Colts?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Steichan vs Bieniemy

• Steichan
    • Bieniemy

41 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

These seem to be the two finalists.... Who would you rather have and why?  And while I'm at it I'll add this question: Who do you think it will be and why?

Did I miss a tweet or something? What makes you think they’re the finalist

IF it comes down to the two but I'm not sure of that... maybe you know something we don’t? For this poll my answer is Steichen because Justin Herbert had his best season under Shane while breaking some rookie passing records. Shane then revamped his offense to cater to Jalen Hurts talents. A high scoring offense that is now featured in the SB that has scored the same amount of points as the Chiefs. Shane is the playcaller of HIS offense. Two different offenses for two different young franchise qbs that have been developed under his watch. Steichen also has a little fire in him.

Not sure on Bieniemy due to the fact that he is oc by title only because Reid calls the plays. We saw that same scenario play out when Nagy left the Chiefs as oc to become hc of the Bears. That offense looked terrible and Mitch T never developed into anything special as a nfl qb. 

Bienemy is 53 and Steichen is 37 so I think Steichen handles him in a fight. But Bienemy is from NOLA so probably a little tougher and Steichen is from Sacramento. Tough fight to judge honestly.

As far as which becomes our next coach though no clue.

2 hours ago, Boss7894 said:

These seem to be the two finalists.... Who would you rather have and why?  And while I'm at it I'll add this question: Who do you think it will be and why?

I haven’t been online much today.   What did I miss about Bienemy?    To the best if my knowledge it’s not even confirmed he got a second interview.  

And even if he did, what happened for anyone to think it’s between Bienemy and Steichen?    How did it get down to those two?  

Someone?    Anyone?     :scratch:       :dunno:

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think it is Steichen. I think they would have hired Morris by now. I think they have their man and will hire him on Monday. I also think that the Colts will go Richardson if they go Steichen

Checks out. Richardson may require more developmental time than the other three QBs — that might appeal to Ballard because it will delay the inevitable moment when ya’ll get on his * and run him out of the building. 

11 hours ago, IinD said:

Bienemy is 53 and Steichen is 37 so I think Steichen handles him in a fight. But Bienemy is from NOLA so probably a little tougher and Steichen is from Sacramento. Tough fight to judge honestly.

I didn’t think about the age factor but bienemy was a pro athlete and could take a hit so I have to give him credit there.  

3 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I didn’t think about the age factor but bienemy was a pro athlete and could take a hit so I have to give him credit there.  

Bienemy was on a Colorado team that had some fairly bad people as players.  Ray Carruth, who is in jail for murder, and their QB, who got HC McCartney's daughter pregnant while leading UC to bowl games and national rankings.  Not sure where that school was recruiting.  From afar, its easy to place guilt by association, but more than background, there may be something with Bienemy's make-up to this day that just doesn't come across well as NFL HC material.

I think its best to just consider other candidates at this point.

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Bienemy was on a Colorado team that had some fairly bad people as players.  Ray Carruth, who is in jail for murder, and their QB, who got HC McCartney's daughter pregnant while leading UC to bowl games and national rankings.  Not sure where that school was recruiting.  From afar, its easy to place guilt by association, but more than background, there may be something with Bienemy's make-up to this day that just doesn't come across well as NFL HC material.

I don't know if that gives him an advantage in a street fight or not but maybe.

Steichen. He's younger, may be hungrier and may be more in tune with younger players. Bienemy has been interviewed a lot, but never chosen. Gives me pause. Why is that? What comes across in the interviews that makes people choose someone else? And as someone said he isn't really the OC because Reid calls all the plays.

17 hours ago, IinD said:

Bienemy has that old man strength at this point as well.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Carruth was actually released in 2018, which is a bit crazy. Only 18 years for hiring somebody to shoot and kill your girlfriend and unborn child. 

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Bienemy and Carruth were never teammates.  And fathering a baby outside of marriage doesn't mean Sal Aunese was a "bad person" 

Some of you need to stop just seeing what you want to see because you want an answer and just pay attention to what’s going on even if it’s not the information you want.  Bieniemy didn’t even get a second interview or asked for one.  Yet somehow seems to be coming down to him or Steichen?  There is no evidence to suggest that at all other conjecture and speculation.  

We know the Colts asked for eight second interviews and per the Owner they will be picking their new coach.  It’s going to be one of those eight.  There is no clear front runner emerging with the media which means they don’t know.  So we don’t know who they are picking between.  We just know they are being extra diligent because this is a really big decision, especially for Ballard because he can’t afford to get it wrong.

5 hours ago, FRW said:

Steichen. He's younger, may be hungrier and may be more in tune with younger players. Bienemy has been interviewed a lot, but never chosen. Gives me pause. Why is that? What comes across in the interviews that makes people choose someone else? And as someone said he isn't really the OC because Reid calls all the plays.

Your comment makes clear you have NO CLUE how a game plan comes together.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:07 PM, Boss7894 said:

I have not read that Bienemy had a second interview. I read where he said he was interviewed but it sounds like a first interview. I read that he is a candidate for OC, not head coach, on two other teams. 

Bienemy is not very popular. You should have used Morris or Kafka or the Bengals OC vs Steichen.

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Bienemy and Carruth were never teammates.  And fathering a baby outside of marriage doesn't mean Sal Aunese was a "bad person" 

Sigh.  I didn't want to get into the specifics of the University of Colorado in the 1990s, but two friends that went there for 4 years shared then what was common knowledge on campus.  Bill McCartney was trying to keep up with the big boys in that conference, Oklahoma and Nebraska, and dipped into recruiting pools that many stand-up Universities wouldn't go.  As I said, that doesn't speak directly to Bienemy (although he has some stuff in his background since college that suggests it) but he went to a school that was known by the insiders to have a subpar culture in order to win college football games.  Despite McCartney's outward display of Christian righteousness.  This is stuff that you wont find on Google.

The other stuff about fathering a baby requires context and understanding circumstances to make that judgment.  And yes, the starting QB who did that was NOT Kordell Stewart.

Its a long time ago, but if people are asking what is the deal with Bienemy.  Knowing how McCartney recruited back in those days might let some satisfy their curiosity to the degree they think UC history matters.  It could have nothing to do with it, or it might actually explain some things.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:00 PM, bluephantom87 said:

IF it comes down to the two but I'm not sure of that... maybe you know something we don’t? For this poll my answer is Steichen because Justin Herbert had his best season under Shane while breaking some rookie passing records. Shane then revamped his offense to cater to Jalen Hurts talents. A high scoring offense that is now featured in the SB that has scored the same amount of points as the Chiefs. Shane is the playcaller of HIS offense. Two different offenses for two different young franchise qbs that have been developed under his watch. Steichen also has a little fire in him.

Not sure on Bieniemy due to the fact that he is oc by title only because Reid calls the plays. We saw that same scenario play out when Nagy left the Chiefs as oc to become hc of the Bears. That offense looked terrible and Mitch T never developed into anything special as a nfl qb. 

He maybe a great OC but does he have what it makes to be  a great  HC? People get so caught up in their coordinating abilities and what it truly makes to be a HC. I was listening to one GM and he was talking about being a HC and specifically about Ryans. He was talking about how he was a great leader and people were in awe of his  personality. The GM basically said this. Ryans will, as will the other new hires, walk into the building and go "oh my" and quickly realize how much and how difficult coaching is and what is involved and being a great leader and charismatic personality is just a piece of  the puzzle!

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He maybe a great OC but does he have what it makes to be  a great  HC? People get so caught up in their coordinating abilities and what it truly makes to be a HC. I was listening to one GM and he was talking about being a HC and specifically about Ryans. He was talking about how he was a great leader and people were in awe of his  personality. The GM basically said this. Ryans will, as will the other new hires, walk into the building and go "oh my" and quickly realize how much and how difficult coaching is and what is involved and being a great leader and charismatic personality is just a piece of  the puzzle!

You have to start somewhere and MOST hcs started as coordinators. There's always a what if factor to nearly everthing in life. So do you just sit back or give new guys like McVay, Shanahan and Zac Taylor a shot? Every past legendary coach had to be given a chance at some point and that's when you find out can he be a great hc or not.

Just seems to me that any coordinator level hire is going to struggle with Irsay.  Whoever gets the gig will need to juggle his nonsense on top of installing a culture of responsibility which is going to be tough to pull off.  For these coordinators stepping into the head coach job for the first time it's probably a low percentage to see success.

Steichen and Bieniemy both have fielded top performing offenses, which is an important element you want to have in that type of hire.  Steichen's offense putting up 30+ on the best defense in the league to advance to the Super Bowl was particularly impressive.  But he feels a bit short in the tooth to me for this job.

Whoever gets hired I will get behind just like I did with Frank, for the record.  I always support the coach as far as I can.  But it feels to me like the best hire for Irsay might be one of the more experienced options in Morris or Bisaccia.  I don't think either of those two will get us to a Super Bowl btw.  But they would undoubtedly weather Irsay's meddling better than a new head coach just based on their time in the league.

Archived