• Ejiro Evero
    • Bubba Ventrone
    • Jeff Saturday
    • Eric Bieniemy
    • DeMeco Ryans
    • Mike Kafka
    • Wink Martindale

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/21/2023 at 08:00 PM

Here's part 1, where Jim Harbaugh was the #1 option (34 votes), and Ben Johnson was the #2 option (24 votes). Fast forward to this week, neither of them are on the list anymore. So now who do you want? 

No multiple choice. Answers are public. Poll closes Saturday morning.

The names:

Shane Steichen -- Eagles OC (interviewed 1/14)

Aaron Glenn -- Lions DC (interviewed 1/14)

Raheem Morris -- Rams DC (interviewed 1/13)

Ejiro Evero -- Broncos DC (interviewed 1/12)

Bubba Ventrone -- Colts STC (interviewed 1/11)

Jeff Saturday -- Colts interim HC (pending)

Eric Bieniemy -- Chiefs OC (interviewed 1/12)

DeMeco Ryans -- Niners DC (pending)

Mike Kafka -- Giants OC (open to interview next week)

Don "Wink" Martindale -- Giants DC (open to interview next week)

I'm not including Ken Dorsey because I can't find a legitimate source that he's been requested by the Colts. I am including Mike Kafka and Wink Martindale, because the Colts did request them, and they are apparently open to interviewing next week.

If Ballard allows Irsay to hire Saturday over his head again, he deserves to be fired next year along with Saturday. If I'm him, if Irsay forces Saturday, I hand in my resignation the next day. It's not like Ballard is not highly thought of around the league and can't find a job. He would also receive the same treatment Frank is receiving by media and NFL - thought of as victim of circumstances and crazy owner(and the resignation would cement that narrative too). 

My vote is for Shane Steichen, but the more we hear about how ownership likes Saturday for the job, the more I start liking most other candidates too. 

Morris, Evero, Ryans, Kafka... I would be good with pretty much any of those too. Hell Bubba looks like a great option too. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

My vote is for Shane Steichen, but the more we hear about how ownership likes Saturday for the job, the more I start liking most other candidates too. 

I don't think we've heard anything new from anyone that matters. Just a bunch of aggregators regurgitating the same stuff that we've heard for two months. We've known that Irsay likes Saturday, but I get the feeling the search is legit.

My original vote was Steichen, no reason to change it so far.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I don't think we've heard anything new from anyone that matters. Just a bunch of aggregators regurgitating the same stuff that we've heard for two months. We've known that Irsay likes Saturday, but I get the feeling the search is legit.

I hope you are right. Lets see...

58 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I vote none of the above. Lol

At this point I feel the same. Harbaugh was my 1st choice and Ben Johnson was 2nd. He would never do it before someone makes fun of this post, but I would rather have Peyton Manning as head coach than any of those other guys left. Even though he has no coaching experience, his offensive football mind is off the charts. He was a coach on the field playing QB. He would live at the office studying film. Give him a good young QB he could work with and that could be dangerous. Peyton is also loved here and because of him free agents would come here.

It will never happen but just my 2 cents.

I don't know the details of these guys' resume's, but just a surface look at how I see it.

The names:

Shane Steichen -- Eagles OC (interviewed 1/14) - Is he the brain's behind the Eagles O or Siranni...or is it Rosman's talent acquisition?

Aaron Glenn -- Lions DC (interviewed 1/14) - Are the Lions known for a great defense?  I thought it was their problem.

Raheem Morris -- Rams DC (interviewed 1/13) - See Lions, as well as having the best Dlineman and Top 5 Corner on the team.

Ejiro Evero -- Broncos DC (interviewed 1/12). - Seems to do well with what he has.  I would support this coach selection.

Bubba Ventrone -- Colts STC (interviewed 1/11)- No

Jeff Saturday -- Colts interim HC (pending) - No

Eric Bieniemy -- Chiefs OC (interviewed 1/12) - No.  Reid, Mohomes, Kelce 

DeMeco Ryans -- Niners DC (pending) - GM Lynch is the guy responsible for the D, not the DC.

Mike Kafka -- Giants OC (open to interview next week) - Seems to be doing well with what he has to work with...no major changes to personnel that would account for the imporvement, IMO.   I would support this selection.

Don "Wink" Martindale -- Giants DC (open to interview next week)  - Nah.  I can't root for a game show host who reminds me of Rex Ryan.

I voted for Kafka over Evero because I would prefer to see an offensive minded HC to mesh with the new rookie QB.

I voted Kafka. I watched his OC interviews throughout the year and liked what he had to say and what his vision is. He's done a great job in NY as far as working with the talent he had. The problem with Mike is that he hasn't interviewed yet, and I wonder if he's even interested in interviewing with us... 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Edit: I missed the part where Mike is interviewing with us on Sunday lol... my bad!

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/19/indianapolis-colts-news-mike-kafka-wink-martindale-head-coach-interviews-schedule-date/

He played QB too, so he should be able to have a good relationship with our rookie. 

Yep, offensive minded coach that played QB at Northwestern, and served as QB coach for Mahomes from 2018-2021, all first 4 years of his starts, and now OC for Giants. Sign me up. Doug Pederson was a former QB too, so was Kevin O' Connell, HC of Vikings.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yep, offensive minded coach that played QB at Northwestern, and served as QB coach for Mahomes from 2018-2021, all first 4 years of his starts, and now OC for Giants. Sign me up. Doug Pederson was a former QB too, so was Kevin O' Connell, HC of Vikings.

So was Frank Rei...

Oh... 

:P

Just now, RollerColt said:

So was Frank Rei...

Oh... 

:P

Hey, you have to take the chance, just like with QBs. Kafka came from the Andy Reid coaching tree, so did Pederson, that is why I like them for their play calling. Reich did not. 

I voted for Raheem Morris but it's hard to feel sure about a guy unless they have a proven record. The things I would be most interested in knowing about in potential HCs are things you can't get a good feel for as a fan.

I do like that Morris has some HC experience. It was only 3 years but came at 32 prior to even being an NFL HC. I think in that situation his previous HC is less of an indication of what he can do as a HC in 2023. He has worked for a variety of people in different roles. I also think he can put together a good staff.

I like DeMeco Ryans too. I almost voted for him.

Bubba, Kafa, Steichen, Martindale, and  Evero are also intriguing on the list.

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

None of the above.

My vote is for Dan Quinn, DC Cowboys, whenever he becomes available to interview.

He's been there, done that, with successes everywhere he's been.

I am against all defensive minded coaches with a rookie QB. I would need to see their plan for developing the rookie QB clearly and that is why Kafka and Steichen should be at the top of the list.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I am against all defensive minded coaches with a rookie QB. I would need to see their plan for developing the rookie QB clearly and that is why Kafka and Steichen should be at the top of the list.

I agree, that I would want to know what they were going to do with a rookie QB.

How about Qinn hiring ex-Stanford HC David Shaw as his OC?

Shaw has a proven track record of success at Stanford, and he was his own OC while there.  It just got harder and harder to recruit for a high-GPA school competing with other schools that didn't have such requirements.  And he couldn't stay competitive.

12 hours ago, stitches said:

Hell Bubba looks like a great option too. 

I wouldn't mind seeing it, but I doubt Ballard goes to Irsay with Bubba.  If it comes down to Bubba vs. Saturday, Irsay could make a reasonable argument for Saturday.  If Ballard goes to Irsay with Raheem Morris who has head coaching experience and has coached both sides of the ball, all over the field, it's much more difficult to make an argument for Saturday.

If you're looking for the candidate who has the best chance to disqualify Jeff, Morris might be it.

12 hours ago, BProland85 said:

By far for me would be Demeco Ryans. I’ve heard great things from players who play for him. 

I put in for Ryans as well for the same reasons but i would be happy with almost any of them.  I'm going to assume that Ballard does his due dilligance and trust his decision.

1 hour ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Not sure it really matters.

Odds are that 4 to 5 years from now fans are going to want him run out of town no matter who it is

You are right. Sometimes the record doesn't reflect if player development and good game planning is happening or not. Pagano never had a losing record till he went a whole season without Luck and we would see the same ways of playing the Patriots and Steelers over and over again, and drafted players not really improving under his coaching staff. You then go a different direction hoping the players get better. Wholesale changes aren't necessarily good in the long run. 

For example, I would want our WR coach Wayne and LB coach Cato June retained, same with our ST coach Bubba, because of the improvement you see in those positions. Those will be points discussed by Ballard with the new HC once you get from the 1000 feet level view a new HC comes in with and gets hired and then you have to examine at a 10 feet level, the details of who to keep and who to hire new. Those position coaches and supporting staff make or break a new HC, just like a QB can make or break the HC and/or GM.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

This is very compelling logic to me as well.    In addition to commitment to a development pathway for the rookie, also assures that the offensive system doesn’t change if your OC gets hired out from under a defensive minded head coach.

1 minute ago, ztboiler said:

This is very compelling logic to me as well.    In addition to commitment to a development pathway for the rookie, also assures that the offensive system doesn’t change if your OC gets hired out from under a defensive minded head coach.

Peyton had an established offensive system when Dungy joined us and Dungy left Peyton and Tom Moore's offensive identity and system alone, just brought along a good QB coach like Caldwell to see things from a different perspective but not alter the offensive playbook. That is how continuity was sustained. That would be the right time to bring along a HC like Dan Quinn, which would be like Dungy joining Peyton, a few years after Peyton had played in the same offense.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Peyton had an established offensive system when Dungy joined us and Dungy left Peyton and Tom Moore's offensive identity and system alone, just brought along a good QB coach like Caldwell to see things from a different perspective but not alter the offensive playbook. That is how continuity was sustained. That would be the right time to bring along a HC like Dan Quinn, which would be like Dungy joining Peyton, a few years after Peyton had played in the same offense.

I think Morris would do the same thing and keep the defensive side intact.  He would need to find the right OC.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Morris would do the same thing and keep the defensive side intact.  He would need to find the right OC.

Morris plays it differently than Bradley, he will bring his own flavor but the core of the 4-3 base will remain the same.

This is obviously just my opinion, but I don't get the love for Kafka. Before the game against the Colts, the Giants averaged 20 pts/game. Good for 22nd in the NFL. The Colts ended the year at 17 pts/game, only 3 points a game less. The Giants had there best scoring games at the very end of the season against the Colts and Vikings. (Colts D and Vikings D were tied for 28th in points allowed), so I don't put too much stock in those 2 games. The Giants scored 20 or less point in 9 games, and 24 or less in 15 games. Only surpassing 30 points twice, in the games against the Colts and Vikings.

Daniel Jones did play better, but a lot of the games they won were because of the defense.

7 minutes ago, The Sleeze said:

This is obviously just my opinion, but I don't get the love for Kafka. Before the game against the Colts, the Giants averaged 20 pts/game. Good for 22nd in the NFL. The Colts ended the year at 17 pts/game, only 3 points a game less. The Giants had there best scoring games at the very end of the season against the Colts and Vikings. (Colts D and Vikings D were tied for 28th in points allowed), so I don't put too much stock in those 2 games. The Giants scored 20 or less point in 9 games, and 24 or less in 15 games. Only surpassing 30 points twice, in the games against the Colts and Vikings.

Daniel Jones did play better, but a lot of the games they won were because of the defense.

That's fair. I like him for some of the stuff beyond his stats and record. I think he's someone who can be a good mentor. Watching him and listening to him talk with his players, he just has some traits that I see in effective teachers of the past. I definitely will say that could mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Morris plays it differently than Bradley, he will bring his own flavor but the core of the 4-3 base will remain the same.

And I think Ballard is going to want to keep the 4-3 base defense.  I can see them on the same page with that and if he told Ballard he’s good with Gus even better.  I would love to know what he told him about his thoughts on the offense.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

And I think Ballard is going to want to keep the 4-3 base defense.  I can see them on the same page with that and if he told Ballard he’s good with Gus even better.  I would love to know what he told him about his thoughts on the offense.

Diane Johnson Trash GIF by ABC Network

49 minutes ago, The Sleeze said:

You have to look beyond the numbers. They were Top 10 in time of possession sustaining drives, which is a huge positive.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

Better than Bills and Chiefs. Just that Daniel Jones and company couldn't cash in for more points and were low on the overall TD front (bottom 8).

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/passing/2022/reg/all

When we said he did more with less, they don't have serious difference makers at WR when it came to the red zone, and that clearly showed. So, if you looked deeper, you see this. They kicked 32 FGs and were top 4 in rush TDs with 21, reinforcing that Barkley was their best playmaker.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/rushing/2022/reg/all

I wanted Bubba when Reich was fired, ST coaches have had a great success when becoming head coaches time and again. His units have always been at the top in coverage and returns (Dallis Flowers lead league in KO return average this season). Knows the team very well,would keep our top coaches in place and get rid of those lacking.

My order would be Steichen, Kafka or Ryans. I prefer on offensive guy to help develop the young qb. I really love Steichen's scheme and play calling. I love Kafka resume and what he's done in NY with so so offensive talent. The only defensive coach I would consider is Ryans. Players love him and play hard for his aggressive style. Ryan was a dawg at lb at Bama as well as his playing career in the nfl with the Texans and Eagles. Not feeling the love for Morris who has been subpar as hc with 2 different franchises and Dan Quinn's teams have always choked to me. Just my two cents... Please stay far AWAY from Saturday! 

On 1/19/2023 at 1:35 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

At this point I feel the same. Harbaugh was my 1st choice and Ben Johnson was 2nd. He would never do it before someone makes fun of this post, but I would rather have Peyton Manning as head coach than any of those other guys left. Even though he has no coaching experience, his offensive football mind is off the charts. He was a coach on the field playing QB. He would live at the office studying film. Give him a good young QB he could work with and that could be dangerous. Peyton is also loved here and because of him free agents would come here.

I still stick with this but I agree with @crazycolt1if I had to vote for one, I would go Kafka. How they are in the playoffs with that roster is a miracle. They have no standout WR's at all, they have Barkley and an above average QB, their line is ok, sometimes it plays good, sometimes bad.

On 1/19/2023 at 1:35 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. 

Not getting a Top HC like a.Harbaugh or Payton is Par for the Course for this organization. 

Its extremely early in the off season but like the remaining candidates, it will probably be  the same old same old as far as colts operations go.

Archived