Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harbaugh to jump to NFL?

BProland85

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I guess he doesn’t require full control.  A GM he can work with is just fine.

I never bought the idea he would demand full control, refusing to work with a GM.  He may want final say on roster decisions, but that's not "full control". 

30 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I guess if that happens we will have a pretty good idea who our next coach will be.

I think Ballard may not get fired right away. They will go through the coaching search but I imagine unless they sign Harbaugh they may keep him. Harbaugh might interview with other teams too. Somebody mentioned grigson wasn’t fired until like Feb.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think Ballard may not get fired right away. They will go through the coaching search but I imagine unless they sign Harbaugh they may keep him. Harbaugh might interview with other teams too. Somebody mentioned grigson wasn’t fired until like Feb.

I have always thought Ballard would stay.  The Harbaugh Dodds connection is something I wasn’t aware of.  So for me it’s just another added wrinkle in the quest to find a new coach.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Grigson was let go something like 3 weeks into January the year he was let go.

That was a totally different situation though. Back then, while they hit a rough spot record wise, they still had Luck and I think the worst they did was 8-8. Contrary to how a lot of us feel about Grigson as a GM he wasn't let go because of his record or the state of the team. Grigson was let go because him and Pagano couldn't work together.

I even heard reports (JMV, Bowen, local writers) that Irsay brought in a counselor or psychologist to help the Grigson/Pagano relationship. Ultimately Irsay determined they couldn't work together and decided to fire Grigson.

I think the situation with Ballard is different. This team is in a bad spot right now. They haven't won their crap division in nearly 10 years while the other 3 teams have won it at least once. They have 1 playoff since...2014? In a time where the rules heavily favor the offense this team can't get score. So I suspect Irsay already knows what he wants to do as far as retaining or replacing Ballard. Either way he likely already has his mind made up. 

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to give one person the GMs and the head coaches duties together. The 2 jobs should work together.  

I know some want to use Belichick as an example but he is a outlier. He had Brady which enabled him. Without Brady he is average. 

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to give one person the GMs and the head coaches duties together. The 2 jobs should work together.  

I know some want to use Belichick as an example but he is a outlier. He had Brady which enabled him. Without Brady he is average. 

Yeah I think Belichick is on one end of the spectrum in terms of the level of his control though.

My impressions with Harbaugh was it would have been more like Pete Carroll/John Schneider in Seattle. Pete has the final say on the roster and such but Schneider seems to have plenty of juice himself. Certainly more so compared to what the top personnel executive (whatever title they hold) has in New England.

9 hours ago, aReggie7 said:

I believe this is from tonight where Harbaugh stated: 

“Although no one knows the future, I think I will be coaching Michigan next year"

“Although no one knows the future “….yeah that doesn’t sound too solid to me. Sounds to me like the doors open and he might walk through given the right opportunity.

Having control of the roster is essentially the same thing as "full control". 

No, Harbaugh doesn't have to run the draft room or negotiate the contracts, but he can certainly have some sort of veto power or approval authority over major draft picks, signings...player additions and subtractions that would impact his coaching....with the GM having the authority to make sure everything fits under the salary cap.  If there are major situations that conflict with the cap, then it probably goes to a three-headed discussion.

To me, the concept of working with a GM can vary as to who is responsible for the players the HC is coaching.  I suspect Harbs is going to want more control over that than a typical HC/GM relationship.

16 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They have private rooms there. I saw this rumored from someone else too. So this kind of corroborated that. He said the GIF would make sense when you see the title of article. So I guess he will talk about that meeting.

Trying to learn more info but Harbaugh may have a really good relationship with DODDS. That throws a wrinkle into things. Let you know if I find more info.

Wait a minute.  Are you saying a guess corroborated a rumor?

12 hours ago, aReggie7 said:

“Although no one knows the future, I think I will be coaching Michigan next year"

This seems like a much less convincing statement than the one he made a month ago. In fairness, we don't have all the context for this recent statement.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35185026/jim-harbaugh-says-back-michigan-next-season

13 hours ago, aReggie7 said:

R u really surprised?  I really don't think there are a lot of desirable destinations. The teams that need him also need that franchise qb.   There is not the Trevor Larence type guy coming out that a coach like Harbagh can  hitch his horse to and ride  for the next  10 years. Probably next year if any

1 hour ago, Superman said:

This seems like a much less convincing statement than the one he made a month ago. In fairness, we don't have all the context for this recent statement.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35185026/jim-harbaugh-says-back-michigan-next-season

Yeah I personally wasn't convinced that statement slams the door shut on Harbaugh in the NFL in 2023. I almost didn't even share the article but from what I could tell it's a legit outlet and they appear to have just spoken with Harbaugh.

36 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

Yeah I personally wasn't convinced that statement slams the door shut on Harbaugh in the NFL in 2023. I almost didn't even share the article but from what I could tell it's a legit outlet and they appear to have just spoken with Harbaugh.

Things like this don't get reported till the deal is  agreed upon. We really don't know what the conversations were between the parties.  Simple phone calls, zoom calls or personal meetings can all happen privately.  

My personal belief is Harbaugh stays at Michigan. He'll, I been wroug before.  :dunno:

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Funny how people at beginning  of the season were saying AFC title. Now the narrative has changed that no coach can win with tis roster.  Interesting

from the beginning i said jax would win our division. i picked ballards roster last in our division. i would have been right but ryan and frank pulled out some wins.

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

Having control of the roster is essentially the same thing as "full control". 

No, Harbaugh doesn't have to run the draft room or negotiate the contracts, but he can certainly have some sort of veto power or approval authority over major draft picks, signings...player additions and subtractions that would impact his coaching....with the GM having the authority to make sure everything fits under the salary cap.  If there are major situations that conflict with the cap, then it probably goes to a three-headed discussion.

To me, the concept of working with a GM can vary as to who is responsible for the players the HC is coaching.  I suspect Harbs is going to want more control over that than a typical HC/GM relationship.

unless a coach can pick his roster no coach can win while ballard is here

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

R u really surprised?  I really don't think there are a lot of desirable destinations. The teams that need him also need that franchise qb.   There is not the Trevor Larence type guy coming out that a coach like Harbagh can  hitch his horse to and ride  for the next  10 years. Probably next year if any

top 5 qbs can make any coach look great

I thought the Colts might interview a couple of coaching candidates before the end of the season to get a head start on the competition.  David Shaw would be an example I was thinking of.  Or at least hear about some interviews that are scheduled after the season ends.  I guess teams can’t do that.

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I thought the Colts might interview a couple of coaching candidates before the end of the season to get a head start on the competition.  David Shaw would be an example I was thinking of.  Or at least hear about some interviews that are scheduled after the season ends.  I guess teams can’t do that.

Coaches can't be interviewed till 3 days after week 18 is completed. 

On 1/4/2023 at 12:29 AM, aReggie7 said:

Yeah that’s what you say when you are looking for a new job but don’t want to make the one you currently have mad incase you need it.  

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts have a chance if it’s not about money.

Harbaugh has enough money to not have to make a move solely based on money.  Don’t get me wrong, money is ALWAYS a powerful motivator but I think Harbaugh is going to jump to the team he feels he has the best chance to win with.  

One thing I heard tonight driving home something the Colts have that others looking for a coach at the moment don’t is Taylor.  Harbaugh’s teams have been built on power run and defense.  While the Colts line does need work this off-season it doesn’t need a total overhaul, they have one of the best backs in football here and a pretty good defense.  The Colts might be an attractive place for him and that’s before you get out his ties here.  

Archived