Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harbaugh to jump to NFL?

BProland85

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Also, before the Colts came and had success, there was a decent amount of Detroit fans in Ft Wayne that "hated" the Bears and their fans.  That sort of thing.

But DET has stunk and has little identity since Barry Sanders.

Yeah it’s kind of a weird spot. So close to so many other markets. My grandpa was a bears fan.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

I’m not opposed to owners exerting their influence provided it doesn’t make things worse and there is a very real tangible gain from getting involved. Frank needed to go but mid season, what did that get us? 

It got us no worse than a top 6 draft pick! :D

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Apparently, Harbaugh has more interest in the Panthers HC job than the Broncos job. No mention about the Colts job though.

https://www.outkick.com/michigan-jim-harbaugh-carolina-panthers-interest-report/

I think it is not the opinion of Harbaugh and his camp, IMO.

Benjamin Albright last night said this was not true. Panthers are in a weird spot and might not even get a QB. 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Apparently, Harbaugh has more interest in the Panthers HC job than the Broncos job. No mention about the Colts job though.

https://www.outkick.com/michigan-jim-harbaugh-carolina-panthers-interest-report/

I can't imagine the DEN job is very attractive for someone like Harbaugh. They do have a good defense, but they are tied to Wilson for a while without much early draft capital. 

The CAR interest I don't really get. Could be posturing to get Irsay to go all out than anything else. 

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I can't imagine the DEN job is very attractive for someone like Harbaugh. They do have a good defense, but they are tied to Wilson for a while without much early draft capital. 

The CAR interest I don't really get. Could be posturing to get Irsay to go all out than anything else. 

Colts have to be the most attractive because he would be coming in with a blank slate for him to form a roster. I do however expect clashes in philosophy over players he wants in the draft vs the players Ballard and his scouts may prefer.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

It depends on what the coach would want in a team.  Indianapolis isn't winning as far as the destination goes.   Denver and Carolina both beat Indy outside of personal reasons.  Maybe Harbaugh has fond memories of his time in Indy and they will sway him, but I doubt it. 

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

It depends on what the coach would want in a team.  Indianapolis isn't winning as far as the destination goes.   Denver and Carolina both beat Indy outside of personal reasons.  Maybe Harbaugh has fond memories of his time in Indy and they will sway him, but I doubt it. 

Yeah. There isn't a lot going for Indy, but I just can't see Harbaugh leaving Michigan to go to CAR. I think they hire Wilks.

As for DEN, I think it all comes down to what he would believe about Wilson. If he think Wilson is done, then he would be stuck with a declining QB with a bad contract for a 3 years, plus a lot less draft capital. Plus DEN is in the same division as KC and LAC, who are likely going to be annual SB contenders. I think an experienced, successful HC would have to have a lot of conviction about Wilson being good again to take that job. My guess would be that DEN is the prime spot for an OC to make the jump who is looking to make his mark. 

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah. There isn't a lot going for Indy, but I just can't see Harbaugh leaving Michigan to go to CAR. I think they hire Wilks.

As for DEN, I think it all comes down to what he would believe about Wilson. If he think Wilson is done, then he would be stuck with a declining QB with a bad contract for a 3 years, plus a lot less draft capital. Plus DEN is in the same division as KC and LAC, who are likely going to be annual SB contenders. I think an experienced, successful HC would have to have a lot of conviction about Wilson being good again to take that job. My guess would be that DEN is the prime spot for an OC to make the jump who is looking to make his mark. 

Not sure if Elway and Manning would call him to try to get him in Denver.  

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah, if Harbaugh is interested in a legacy and making a national splash with it, he'll suck it up when it comes to any short term draft capital issues and will think long-ish term...10 years.  Indy is the weak sister in that scenario, IMO.

I still say that even though he is hobbled by Wilson and his contract at Denver, Harbaugh has one half of the team in place with the defense like he had in SF.   His only real issue is working through the Wilson contract and a couple of years of first round picks.   Its cheap and easy to build a running QB offense without first rounders, IMO.

Denver and the Broncos have a much more expansive national following.

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Colts have to be the most attractive because he would be coming in with a blank slate for him to form a roster. I do however expect clashes in philosophy over players he wants in the draft vs the players Ballard and his scouts may prefer.

Philosophically, Harbaugh and Ballard would be pretty close though, right?  I mean, the 1995 Colts - that's more or less how Ballard would prefer to play, and Harbaugh will certainly make use of Taylor.  

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, if Harbaugh is interested in a legacy and making a national splash with it, he'll suck it up when it comes to any short term draft capital issues and will think long-ish term...10 years.  Indy is the weak sister in that scenario, IMO.

I still say that even though he is hobbled by Wilson and his contract at Denver, Harbaugh has one half of the team in place with the defense like he had in SF.   His only real issue is working through the Wilson contract and a couple of years of first round picks.   Its cheap and easy to build a running QB offense without first rounders, IMO.

Denver and the Broncos have a much more expansive national following.

To be honest, here is a thought out of left field.

Michigan QB, Michigan Alum, Ex-Michigan HC and player, Tom Brady meets Jim Harbaugh. Bruce Arians will have a hard time selling firing Todd Bowles to his players unless, I repeat, unless he gets a big name like Jim Harbaugh in the door. It might also compel Tom Brady to come back to the Bucs in an easily winnable division with plenty of talent on the roster to be a SB contender plus the GOAT for a QB. Can Harbaugh and Brady ask for anything more in that situation? Yes, it might only be a couple of years of Brady but they will have a plan in place before Brady rides off into the sunset with another SB win. 

Not what a lot of folks want to hear but very much a possibility if Bruce Arians thinks of it that way.

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

See i disagree here. A lot.

Lets review, Grigson was known and faulted for getting players he wanted, some fit the scheme, some didn’t and some weren’t what pagano wanted and Grigson would force player X onto the field.

Ballard, hired to replace Grigson, has swung back the other way, perhaps too much. 

he was saddled with Pagano his first year, so most of his picks, trades and signings, were to fit the schemes Pagano wanted. Later, he did that with Reich as well. Which is how we ended up with guys like Rivers, Wentz and Ryan at QB. 

a good GM does this but a great GM gets guys that not only fit, but are studs. I think Ballard is great at finding gems in the draft. But I think he needs to enforce more of what HE sees for skills players on the offensive side of the ball. Which is Ballard’s weakness if I had to pinpoint one. WR, TE and QB have all been glaring failures. But the guys he has drafted clearly were drafted with a scheme fit in mind. 

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

See i disagree here. A lot.

Lets review, Grigson was known and faulted for getting players he wanted, some fit the scheme, some didn’t and some weren’t what pagano wanted and Grigson would force player X onto the field.

Ballard, hired to replace Grigson, has swung back the other way, perhaps too much. 

he was saddled with Pagano his first year, so most of his picks, trades and signings, were to fit the schemes Pagano wanted. Later, he did that with Reich as well. Which is how we ended up with guys like Rivers, Wentz and Ryan at QB. 

a good GM does this but a great GM gets guys that not only fit, but are studs. I think Ballard is great at finding gems in the draft. But I think he needs to enforce more of what HE sees for skills players on the offensive side of the ball. Which is Ballard’s weakness if I had to pinpoint one. WR, TE and QB have all been glaring failures. But the guys he has drafted clearly were drafted with a scheme fit in mind. 

I actually think that it is the GM’s job to bring in the players the HC wants and needs to fit the scheme.  If you want longevity as a GM, it’s your job to work with the coach.  That way, if the coach fails, it’s on the coach, not the GM.

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To be honest, here is a thought out of left field.

Michigan QB, Michigan Alum, Ex-Michigan HC and player, Tom Brady meets Jim Harbaugh. Bruce Arians will have a hard time selling firing Todd Bowles to his players unless, I repeat, unless he gets a big name like Jim Harbaugh in the door. It might also compel Tom Brady to come back to the Bucs in an easily winnable division with plenty of talent on the roster to be a SB contender plus the GOAT for a QB. Can Harbaugh and Brady ask for anything more in that situation? Yes, it might only be a couple of years of Brady but they will have a plan in place before Brady rides off into the sunset with another SB win. 

Not what a lot of folks want to hear but very much a possibility if Bruce Arians thinks of it that way.

Could be. 

IDK.  I think Harbaugh has moved on from his past, in terms of college allegiances and allegiances to the Colts or the Bears.  Irsay is probably selling Harbaugh on his ties to Indy as a player and Harbaugh is listening respectfully while ignoring it.  Just a guess.

But if he decides to come to Indy for other reasons, he'll probably also then play up his ties back to the mid 1990s.

17 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

It’ll be interesting. Colts actually got worse after he left so there’s a case he can make to say he was able to make this team appear competitive.

eh, not really.  Under Frank, the team came out completely flat and borderline inept for the first half of the game.  The staff at the time though was able to make good half time adjustments and was able to make a comeback attempt in several games.

Under Saturday, the opposite was true...the team came out to start the game ready to go with a good gameplan, but the staff was utterly inept at making halftime adjustments, allowing the other teams to come back on them.

With a HC and staff that can do both (and of course a good QB), I think the Colts can compete with pretty much anyone.  

15 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I actually think that it is the GM’s job to bring in the players the HC wants and needs to fit the scheme.  If you want longevity as a GM, it’s your job to work with the coach.  That way, if the coach fails, it’s on the coach, not the GM.

That’s exactly what I’m trying to say. 

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Doesn't matter. Daddy said they were not leaving regardless.

Until they started Eminent Domain proceedings, yeah he was. I’d would have ram too. But that’s 40 years ago dang near. Has no bearing on todays colts

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yep I can see a Mike Singletary vs Jim Harbaugh like turnaround across years just based on better offensive identities incorporated like Harbaugh did with 49ers. I’d love to have Vic Fangio back too with players added to play more hybrid fronts that Fangio likes to build upon the current 4-3 ones

I have heard that Sean Payton is already building a coaching staff which reportedly includes Fangio.

41 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I think you are placing too much emphasis on the final product being the results of what the HC wants.  When the HC has total control of personnel, then its on the coach.  In any type of HC/GM duo, the final personnel roster is always on the GM.  

Under the typical Frank/Ballard way, the GM is the guy running the draft room, not the HC.  So any player picked is the decision of the GM, period.  

The HC provides input and maybe a list of players they both review in depth before the draft.  But during the draft, the GM has to weigh what the coach wants with the players he thinks will be available when.  If Frank says he wants Sky Moore (just hypothetically) and Moore goes to KC at pick 49, then Ballard is forced to settle for AP at pick 53...or reach for Woods if AP isn't there, or pick BPA who may not be an ideal scheme fit.   What players the coach has to coach falls specifically on the GM.   OTOH, if the HC runs the draft room, then it falls on him.

Agreed when it comes to, the HC and GM having to be in sync when it comes to philosophy and scheme.  If not, the draft philosophy and selecting ends up with an ill fitting collection of RAS athletes and BPAs and forces the HC to figure out how to use them "correctly".  That seems closer to the way the Colts did it.   I think the selection fitting the scheme philosophy was relegated to round 4 and later, like Granson and Hines, for example.  

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Philosophically, Harbaugh and Ballard would be pretty close though, right?  I mean, the 1995 Colts - that's more or less how Ballard would prefer to play, and Harbaugh will certainly make use of Taylor.  

I hope so

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

You certainly can’t show your cards on the situation because remember the Rooney rule is still in effect

35 minutes ago, philba101 said:

There is no way I am even considering the Texans if I am Sean Payton unless they give me absolute control over everything as a starting point.

They will, Nick Caserio will very likely work with Sean Payton and their talent needs a new QB plus pass catchers and they have far more draft capital than us to make a just as fast a turnaround as us. That preacher guy is no more with the Texans. It will be like a Jon Gruden type tenure with the Raiders (before he was fired) for Sean Payton to stay in Texas.

16 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

You certainly can’t show your cards on the situation because remember the Rooney rule is still in effect

Is there a window during which all such interviews must take place?

Is it not possible the Rooney Rule has already been taken care of?

38 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

While this is true can’t outbid anyone I doubt that is the deciding factor on where he goes. The situation is the biggest.

It’s just not about money.  I think he’s looking for the best overall fit.  Denver has also   made it clear the new coach will report to the GM.  So there is still a lot for Harbaugh to consider.  I still think he will windup with the Colts.

2 hours ago, J@son said:

eh, not really.  Under Frank, the team came out completely flat and borderline inept for the first half of the game.  The staff at the time though was able to make good half time adjustments and was able to make a comeback attempt in several games.

Under Saturday, the opposite was true...the team came out to start the game ready to go with a good gameplan, but the staff was utterly inept at making halftime adjustments, allowing the other teams to come back on them.

With a HC and staff that can do both (and of course a good QB), I think the Colts can compete with pretty much anyone.  

Respectfully disagree. One win (maybe two after next week) and two of the worst implosions in Q4 in recent memory. We also had some pretty terrible starts under Saturday as well (Chargers and Giants). 

We can argue all we want but by any meaningful metric, we are worse. This isn’t a defense of Frank. He needed to go. But what did we gain by doing it then? This team was gonna get a top 10 pick so you can maybe make the point we gained in draft order, which confirms that we did worse after the firing.

19 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Respectfully disagree.

I have no issue with that.  I'm not saying they were better by any means with Saturday...just that they were bad in a different way.  

But what did we gain by doing it then? 

One thing I wanted to see was if a different offensive coach could be a better playcaller.  And we saw that we didn't. 

13 minutes ago, J@son said:

I have no issue with that.  I'm not saying they were better by any means with Saturday...just that they were bad in a different way.  

One thing I wanted to see was if a different offensive coach could be a better playcaller.  And we saw that we didn't. 

Agree on both.

Rumor is Denver is prepared to offer Harbaugh 20 million a year.  Sean Peyton is also being looked at by Denver. Rumor is Harbaugh would except Denver job if offered. Peyton would be 25 million.

At that price tag we are going to end up with milk toast boring guy like Leslie Frazier lol. What makes it worse is the money Irsay spends on all his guitars and him always flaunting it. 

17 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Rumor is Denver is prepared to offer Harbaugh 20 million a year.  Sean Peyton is also being looked at by Denver. Rumor is Harbaugh would except Denver job if offered. Peyton would be 25 million.

At that price tag we are going to end up with milk toast boring guy like Leslie Frazier lol. What makes it worse is the money Irsay spends on all his guitars and him always flaunting it. 

I have been touting Mike Kafka for a while and am still a fan of his. Kevin O' Connell, Zac Taylor have shown me a guy like Mike Kafka that is going down the Sirianni route (Kafka was QB coach for Mahomes from 2018-2019, QB plus passing game coordination 2020-2021, then OC for Giants now while Sirianni was QB & WR coach with Chargers, then OC for Colts) for becoming a HC. He is also a former QB, just like Kevin O' Connell, so he sees a lot of things that the QB will see.

He would cost in the ball park of $5-7 mil. a year and we can give him all the support he needs on the offensive side and he should improve our offense and bring along a rookie QB. All is not lost if we don't get Jim Harbaugh or Sean Payton.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I have been touting Mike Kafka for a while and am still a fan of his. Kevin O' Connell, Zac Taylor have shown me a guy like Mike Kafka that is going down the Sirianni route (Kafka was QB coach for Mahomes from 2018-2019, QB plus passing game coordination 2020-2021, then OC for Giants now while Sirianni was QB & WR coach with Chargers, then OC for Colts) for becoming a HC. He is also a former QB, just like Kevin O' Connell, so he sees a lot of things that the QB will see.

He would cost in the ball park of $5-7 mil. a year and we can give him all the support he needs on the offensive side and he should improve our offense and bring along a rookie QB. All is not lost if we don't get Jim Harbaugh or Sean Payton.

Yuck. If Irsay is really tired of losing he will do what he has to do. Otherwise it’s just words. For the record if Ballard stays he is a Frazier guy.  Boring boring.

Someone  said it’s best to hire a offensive coach when you have a young QB so they have stability on offense. Because they could be in position to lose OC and other key assistants. If your head coach is a offensive guy then that young QB still has some stability even if they lose assistants.

Archived