Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The reason Ballard is being kept

csmopar

3 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Why can't he give any specifics? Isn't he a reporter? 

That was my first thought. If you can't site specific problems like were mad cause the water cooler always has the blue koolaid then I can't buy into your statement. I understand not calling "individuals" out for obvious reasons, but the what the problem is thing can be stated in a way that doesn't throw anyone under the bus, so if you can't say it...I cant buy it......For me I could understand frustration in and around the offense by all parties within the offense and outside of it....losing sucks if you are a competitor....the fact that the team has yet to quit speaks to high character....frustration that the offense cant move....at...all is understandable it negatively effects offensive players that feel they are being under utilized, guys that are in their contract year that want to show their value, to defensive players that feel they are doing there part etc. 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, csmopar said:

So far:  our D has been top 10-12 all season long. Despite being on the field for YEARS  every game because of the crappy Offense we have.

but this is why Ballard is being kept. He’s built a solid D. If we can even get a halfway competent QB and WR, we’re 11-4 or better at this point. 

https://www.colts.com/news/deforest-buckner-dayo-odeyingbo-defense-sacks-record-los-angeles-chargers

A QB and WRs are not going to help much with this OL

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Michigan loses to Georgia this weekend we should here all kinds of rumors about Harbaugh pretty quick.

If Michigan plays Georgia, it will be next Monday in the title game. Michigan plays TCU first in the semi-finals while Georgia plays Ohio State.

6 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I honestly wouldn't believe Ballard is staying just cause Irsay said so at this point. He said Franks job was safe 10 days before he was fired. However I think it is very possible he is here another year. A 1 last chance kind of thing. 

I dont agree with it. His philosophy is outdated. He is too slow to react to positional needs. He has failed mightily at QB, and seriously don't tell me it was all Frank. He is the GM its his roster, his job on the line.

Oline is highest paid and its very poor. WR is average at best.

Pass rush has been terrible till this year. Probably losing our 1 year rental Yannick.

Massive contracts to a G and a LB. The most important positions in NFL football year 2022. QB, LT, WR, Pass Rush. We lack in all of it.

So maybe he changes knowing he is on thin ice. Guess we will see.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Michigan plays Georgia, it will be next Monday in the title game. Michigan plays TCU first in the semi-finals while Georgia plays Ohio State.

Oh gosh I meant if they lost their game this weekend. I got the team they played messed up. Either way it won’t take long to hear if he is interested.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Oh gosh I meant if they lost their game this weekend. I got the team they played messed up. Either way it won’t take long to hear if he is interested.

I think it is more likely he leaves if he achieves his National Championship dream, IMO. He can leave on a high note. 

Without pointing out fault with any player, coach, or anyone that draws a paycheck in any way on W. 56th st. I just want to say this is MY frustration (and why I dont care who gets kept or let go, I just want to see this level of scheming/play/thinking/creativity) . Colts will run up the gut for 2 yards 80% of the time on first down, like thats a good thing and maybe fooling someone, or maybe someone or group of someones can do something miraculous to change the outcome we still got 2 more games maybe it can happen LOL .....I witnessed the Rams, not necessarily a stellar run team run a play where they pulled the RG and the SLOT RECIEVER who put wham blocks on the second level allowing for a 7 yard gain. If we aint got the talent to do something could someone on W 56th st. please have the coaching prowess to scheme it into success. Draft as much talent as you can, coach up their technique in the offseason to maximize their potential and then scheme/adapt/play call the heck out of em.......

29 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I honestly wouldn't believe Ballard is staying just cause Irsay said so at this point. He said Franks job was safe 10 days before he was fired. However I think it is very possible he is here another year. A 1 last chance kind of thing. 

I dont agree with it. His philosophy is outdated. He is too slow to react to positional needs. He has failed mightily at QB, and seriously don't tell me it was all Frank. He is the GM its his roster, his job on the line.

Pass rush has been terrible till this year and we are better but still middle of the pack. Take away 10 sacks from our one year rental Yannick and back in the bottom quartile of bottom quartiles.

Massive contracts to a G and a LB. The most important positions in NFL football year 2022. QB, LT, WR, Pass Rush. We lack in all of it.

Theoretically speaking, we have #1 pick and Andrew Luck level of a sure fire coming out of the draft, 

Which years of Colts roster do you pick let’s say going back all the way to 2010?(to compliment that qb)

26 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Why can't he give any specifics? Isn't he a reporter? 

That's the real beauty of garbage comments like this, isn't it? If you never give specifics you can never actually be wrong because you can live in the nuance no matter how it turns out. 

If this guy has access to players who trust him, then he's already a scumbag friend for hinting at what his player friends are saying to him in confidence. If he has access as a reporter then why not report what's being said without using names or specifics that point to a specific player? The answer is, of course, because he's making stuff up or massively exaggerating off of one or two tiny details.

14 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Pass rush has been terrible till this year and we are better but still middle of the pack. Take away 10 sacks from our one year rental Yannick and back in the bottom quartile of bottom quartiles.

ballard may be doing what irsay wants him to do to keep money in jims pocket. example--- trading down means getting lower talent as a rule who dont require a high pay like a gamechanger . bounced around qbs = lower pay-- let players who want more money,--- walk---undrafted free agents =lower payroll. as long as ballard puts a team on the field does jim really care if it trends down for 6 years? no bidding on high priced skill players = a big chunk in jims pocket. is winning worth the money and cost effective to jims pocket? ballard may be perfect for jim, dont forget it is a business to make money. look at the big picture instead of looking at it like a fan.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

So far:  our D has been top 10-12 all season long. Despite being on the field for YEARS  every game because of the crappy Offense we have.

but this is why Ballard is being kept. He’s built a solid D. If we can even get a halfway competent QB and WR, we’re 11-4 or better at this point. 

https://www.colts.com/news/deforest-buckner-dayo-odeyingbo-defense-sacks-record-los-angeles-chargers

I also think the fact that Irsay doesn’t want to pay two head coaches and two GMs contracts also plays a factor but I agree for all the outcry about the offense (rightfully so) people have just overlooked and the defense and special teams and take them for granted and don’t want to give Ballard any credit for them because it doesn’t fit the Ballard is awful narrative.  Honestly, from top to bottom, this is the best defense the Colts have had in a LONG time.  That doesn’t mean they have the best players in a long a time but as a unit they are really good.  Even more impressive when you consider they have done it without maybe their best player virtually all season.  

Id go further that Ballard’s recent HIGH draft picks are hitting.  Taylor and Pittman are well documented.  Paye and Dayo are starting to round into really nice players.  Bobby O is living up to his draft status.  Granson has made a jump this season.  Even a guys like Woods and Thomas taken this year are showing they are going to be good players.  That’s not even counting guys like Leonard, Stewart, Speed, Rodgers, Smith, and Nelson who have been good players as well.  (Yes I know Nelson has had a very down season and Leonard has been hurt this year.)

No Ballard’s draft record is not perfect but show me a GM whose is.  I think Irsay has confidence in Ballard to keep running the draft room which is a big part of the GMs draft.  I could see Irsay leaning on Ballard to be a little more aggressive in free agency but I don’t expect Irsay to expect them to be in on every big name free agent out there either.  Irsay knows the bulk of good teams are built through the draft supplementing a player here or there in free agency (like the Bills with Miller or the Eagles with Brown, granted that was a trade not free agency).  I think you could see Irsay say hey take a shot on a big name here or there.  

With that all said Ballard’s future is going to depend on the QB they draft this year and there is no doubt in my mind that’s what the Colts are doing with their first round pick this year.  If Ballard hits on him the other misses won’t matter if Ballard misses on him his other hits won’t matter.  

5 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard may be doing what irsay wants him to do to keep money in jims pocket. example--- trading down means getting lower talent as a rule who dont require a high pay like a gamechanger . bounced around qbs = lower pay-- let players who want more money,--- walk---undrafted free agents =lower payroll. as long as ballard puts a team on the field does jim really care if it trends down for 6 years? no bidding on high priced skill players = a big chunk in jims pocket. is winning worth the money and cost effective to jims pocket? ballard may be perfect for jim, dont forget it is a business to make money. look at the big picture instead of looking at it like a fan.

Drawing Motivation GIF

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

It's reason #1. $$$$$$

Irsay owes Frank 9 million bananas a year through 2026. He can't afford to pay Chris and a new GM and a new HC on top of that. 

Irsay may not want to pay out much more than he already he is, but he can afford it if he wants. He's worth an estimated $3.5 billion - that's $350 million. According to the New York Times, Irsay has spent $100 million building a collection of music, sports and other pop culture memorabilia. This is a guy who spent $6.1 million for Ali's Rumble in the Jungle title belt. He also paid $4.9 million for the guitar Kurt Cobain used in the music video for “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and acquired one of Ringo Starr’s vintage drum sets for more than $4 million. 

52 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If I am one and done, I would give Brandon Staley the Mike Mularkey treatment, to be honest, who was fired after a playoff win with Mariota by the Titans before they hired Mike Vrabel. Then turn around and hire Sean Payton to pair with Herbert and that offense that has greater potential than the Broncos, IMO, and Herbert >>> RW.

It makes sense BUT the Chargers are not a historical upper echelon franchise, despite their talent level. I doubt they go to a Super Bowl, regardless of how good Herbert is or becomes. I think there are only two teams from that division that can go to a super bow!(KC,Demver) 

Sure maybe the raiders or chargers may somehow slip in one year but I don't think any of them will dominate the division let alone the conference anytime soon.

But what you said makes good sense but this is the NFL.

7 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Irsay may not want to pay out much more than he already he is, but he can afford it if he wants. He's worth an estimated $3.5 billion - that's $350 million. According to the New York Times, Irsay has spent $100 million building a collection of music, sports and other pop culture memorabilia. This is a guy who spent $6.1 million for Ali's Rumble in the Jungle title belt. He also paid $4.9 million for the guitar Kurt Cobain used in the music video for “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and acquired one of Ringo Starr’s vintage drum sets for more than $4 million. 

those things may be more important to him than the colts winning again

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It makes sense BUT the Chargers are not a historical upper echelon franchise, despite their talent level. I doubt they go to a Super Bowl, regardless of how good Herbert is or becomes. I think there are only two teams from that division that can go to a super bow!(KC,Demver) 

Sure maybe the raiders or chargers may somehow slip in one year but I don't think any of them will dominate the division let alone the conference anytime soon.

But what you said makes good sense but this is the NFL.

Chiefs hadn't won a SB in eons, my friend. They won it when they got the QB and got Reid and let go of Alex Smith in favor of Mahomes. Broncos took between 1998 and 2015 to win a SB, much shorter than the Chiefs. Rams took between 1999 and 2021 to win a SB. Bucs took between 2002 and 2020. Everything happened because they got THE QB. So don't dismiss the Chargers because they do have a very good QB that needs to be taught by the best. Drew Brees benefited from Sean Payton and vice versa. Philip Rivers got stuck with Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner with all that talent on the Chargers squad. Rex Ryan was right to take a shot at Norv Turner because Rex Ryan went to the AFCCG twice with Mark Sanchez, not just once, both times as a wild card, when both Peyton and Brady were in the league beating them each once.

Pair up Mahomes with someone other than Andy Reid, with someone like Frank Reich, the ceiling of a SB may not be realized. Division winner, maybe but not the many playoff wins and a SB. Pair Herbert with Sean Payton and the Chiefs will be forced to alternate division titles. If Sean Payton wants full control, I am sure the Texans will roll the red carpet for him to stay in the state of Texas too, and I personally wouldn't want that as a Colts fan. :) 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Chiefs hadn't won a SB in eons, my friend. They won it when they got the QB and got Reid and let go of Alex Smith in favor of Mahomes. Broncos took between 1998 and 2015 to win a SB, much shorter than the Chiefs. Rams took between 1999 and 2021 to win a SB. Bucs took between 2002 and 2020. Everything happened because they got THE QB. So don't dismiss the Chargers because they do have a very good QB that needs to be taught by the best. Drew Brees benefited from Sean Payton and vice versa. Philip Rivers got stuck with Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner with all that talent on the Chargers squad. Rex Ryan was right to take a shot at Norv Turner because Rex Ryan went to the AFCCG twice with Mark Sanchez, not just once. 

Pair up Mahomes with someone other than Andy Reid, with someone like Frank Reich, the ceiling of a SB may not be realized. Division winner, maybe but not the many playoff wins and a SB. Pair Herbert with Sean Payton and the Chiefs will be forced to alternate division titles. If Sean Payton wants full control, I am sure the Texans will roll the red carpet for him to stay in the state of Texas too, and I personally wouldn't want that as a Colts fan. :) 

Chargers had Phillip Rivers and Dan Fouts before him. 

I just don't think the Chargers are a SB bound franchise. Maybe that's why Eli refused to play for them?

The NFL is in sorta transition these days so who knows.....we'll see.

6 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Chargers had Phillip Rivers and Dan Fouts before him. 

I just don't think the Chargers are a SB bound franchise. Maybe that's why Eli refused to play for them?

The NFL is in sorta transition these days so who knows.....we'll see.

Eli looked at the Chargers' OL and penchant for spending in FA and backed off, didn't want to go through what Archie suffered at New Orleans. The owner didn't want to spend much money but recently Tom Telesco, their GM, has been active in FA though he is a chip off the Polian block. 

Any new HC like Sean Payton going there will have to take into account of what is transpiring there. Look at Mike Brown, the Bengals owner. He has come a long way since the Carson Palmer days when he wouldn't spend money on improving the Bengals, which was a big reason for Palmer holding out and retiring and then coming back to play for the Raiders. Now, 2 consecutive off seasons, he has spent on the pass rush and OL, thanks to Burrow's rookie contract. I am sure the Chargers' owner Spanos might see the same and do the same eventually to help Herbert out. If that happens, Sean Payton would not mind going there. 

Good grief — if Ballard knew how to build a winning team he would have done it by now. What, is this four-win team part of a master 10-year plan? Ballard supporters, how many more years should he get? We’re all gonna wake up in 2028 with a lousy retread at quarterback, Ballard still mumbling about building the trenches first and blabbing that you can’t force a QB pick in the draft. And the sad thing is, I’ll still be blowing my money on Colts sweatshirts! 

in my opinion I think the following offensive players will be released after the season. (I am very proud of the defense having to pull this team every week)

Ryan Kelly, He has dropped of tremendously and has become a liability. Free agent or 3-4th round (I don't like Pinter here)

Parris Campbell: He has great speed but has a problem in separation and is too frail 

Ashton Dulin: Shows the occasional flash but never quite materialized. 

Matt Ryan before March 17th to save 17 million.

We can build around Pittman and Pierce with free agency and or a draft pick we need to change the chemistry in the WR room

The tight ends have disappeared as a group the last several weeks. We get Ogletree back and Woods is solid, Granson does not impress me so I would not be surprised if we bring in another tight end 

Ballard needs to repair this line and quit bringing in players that are truly terrible.

I'm willing see how Raimann pans out but we need a new RG and Center and some quality depth. this is the biggest challenge for Ballard and if can fix this along with a solid QB I would call that a reason to keep him around 

3 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Good grief — if Ballard knew how to build a winning team he would have done it by now. What, is this four-win team part of a master 10-year plan? Ballard supporters, how many more years should he get? We’re all gonna wake up in 2028 with a lousy retread at quarterback, Ballard still mumbling about building the trenches first and blabbing that you can’t force a QB pick in the draft. And the sad thing is, I’ll still be blowing my money on Colts sweatshirts! 

You havn't heard? Its called delayed gratification. Our regression from 11-6 in 2020 to likely 4 or 5 wins this year is all part of his master plan.

52 minutes ago, rayski said:

Theoretically speaking, we have #1 pick and Andrew Luck level of a sure fire coming out of the draft, 

Which years of Colts roster do you pick let’s say going back all the way to 2010?(to compliment that qb)

Probably the 2020 roster, but we have regressed significantly since then. Also no roster in that period of time was necessarily good. Most of the good records were driven by good QB's. The most important position. The one Ballard has bombed hard. 

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Sure it can.

Ballard not signing FA's and saying he wants to build a culture first and blah blah blah while creating more cap space and unspent money season after season than other teams. Who benefited with that approach and so called blueprint??? Irsays bank account did, that's who. lol. 

Since maybe the Football Gods denied us the green light to win anyway, why should a thrifty, small market team waste money??? 

Ballard may have only been doing his job as instructed and maybe not as much to blame as we think???

Who knows? haha

But the Bottom line is colt fans most likely in for more Dark days ahead which is too well known for us.

What a bunch of ____ ! Ballard did what any wise GM does as he drafts and develops his own players. And it takes YEARS of Experience getting better and playing together/thinking alike, to compete at the highest level.

He and Irsay got screwed by Luck bigtime, and when LT's are playing beyond 35, Castonzo quit at 32. And yes he had several seemingly wasted 2nd rd picks that never made it. It happens.

For you here that are still in grade school. You develop YOUR Young players for several years while saving your $$$, only to spend it to fill in the gaps when opportunity arises and be ready to max out to resign the players you have developed and for FA's that fill a need. Ballard did this.

Ballard has been a victim of circumstance, and stuck between Irsay and Reichs vision. 

I would read the book that explains the Pryor decision, what Reich's truth is about Wentz, from beginning to end, and how important Sirriani was to any success Reich had here.  

Ballard chose Q over Josh Allen.

Gotta wonder how that draft discussion went.

27 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Probably the 2020 roster, but we have regressed significantly since then. Also no roster in that period of time was necessarily good. Most of the good records were driven by good QB's. The most important position. The one Ballard has bombed hard. 

I actually think it is a money thing. He is already paying Frank. The more i think about it, the more I think Irsay is looking to 2024 as the year to get his guy. He always says we are not tanking but what better way to tank then to keep Saturday and Ballard lol? Irsay looks around the league and at his own past history with  Manning and Luck  . Look around the league. You need  a franchise qb; an elite qb. I still think that the Bengals, Bills and Chiefs are the better teams by a mile. San Fran is my fav but they are quite the anomaly. I mean, they have like 7 elite players and good luck replicating that. I dont buy Eagles or Vikings. Irsay is impulsive and needs to get out of his way. He is being driven by emotion but i have no doubt he is a smart guy and he needs that guy.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

What a bunch of ____ ! Ballard did what any wise GM does as he drafts and develops his own players. And it takes YEARS of Experience getting better and playing together/thinking alike, to compete at the highest level.

He and Irsay got screwed by Luck bigtime, and when LT's are playing beyond 35, Castonzo quit at 32. And yes he had several seemingly wasted 2nd rd picks that never made it. It happens.

For you here that are still in grade school. You develop YOUR Young players for several years while saving your $$$, only to spend it to fill in the gaps when opportunity arises and be ready to max out to resign the players you have developed and for FA's that fill a need. Ballard did this.

Ballard has been a victim of circumstance, and stuck between Irsay and Reichs vision. 

I would read the book that explains the Pryor decision, what Reich's truth is about Wentz, from beginning to end, and how important Sirriani was to any success Reich had here.  

Ballard chose Q over Josh Allen? Lol ...At the time, Andrew Luck was the Colts QB and everyone was crying for Ballard to improve the OL.

13 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I agree. You've got a bunch of ___ here. Castonzo had talked publicly about seriously considering retirement at the end of 2019, https://fox59.com/sports/colts/its-going-to-be-a-decision-i-make-colts-anthony-castonzo-says-retirement-is-an-option/, more than a year before he retired in Jan. 2021. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30698679/indianapolis-colts-lt-anthony-castonzo-retires-10-nfl-seasons-144-starts  Why didn't Ballard make any preparations for his retirement and the impact on the team knowing that a critical player was contemplating retirement? 

In 2021, the most recent year I could find number for, there were only five offensive linemen in the league who were 35 or older. Obviously, the vast majority retire before age 35. In fact, there were only 13 offensive linemen older than 32. Most retire at age 32 or younger.  https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/oldest-offensive-lineman-in-the-nfl-2021

4 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Ballard is salivating at the opportunity to sign Jimmy G and trade down for picks. Do not be surprised if this happens.

I wouldn't be surprised at a trade down either.  But if there isn't a QB on the board that we want I have a hard time understanding what some other team would want and I doubt there are teams willing to trade up to #5 - or where ever we end up - for anything other than a QB.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't happen.

Well Jim Irsay didn't have any trouble letting go of Peyton Manning when we were able to get Luck in the draft, it was business. So, unless he likes what Ballard is doing, he should have no trouble cutting ties with Ballard if it seems necessary. At this point he should know what he's getting with him at GM, So the ball is in Irsay's court as it were.

6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Yes Indy has a good defense. But pass rush has still evaded this team which Ballard has swung and missed on multiple times. Outside of Buckner, no other DL player can create much pass rush on his own. 

This defense is currently having the third best season of sacks since 1984........only behind two years of Freeney and Mathis......I'm not sure how that computes?

6 hours ago, gspdx said:

I can see that.  But I have a problem with Ballard right now with all of the "build from the inside out" talk.  We now have a very expensive O-line that is failing.  To be a contender that absolutely must be fixed.  I just don't know at this point if it is talent, injuries, desire, coaching, etc.

The line started failing when they hired the current OLine Coach. Sometimes its the voice in the room and not the talent. Sometimes it's the scheme as well.

Raimann is learning on the fly at the toughest spot and been progressing. Will fries is learning on the fly as well. 

Do we think that Nelson, Kelly and Smith all just forgot how to play? 

I agree that the OLine truly is the key to our future. Fix/Adjust them and the team is set-up wonderfully for a QB to step in and grow. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Anyine nervous a new coach and GM will say I can fix the Oline and Ryan will be fine? I hope he retires so that isn’t even a possibility. So they skip QB and go OT.

No. No way Jim Irsay allows Ryan into the building past the start of the new league year.

47 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

No. No way Jim Irsay allows Ryan into the building past the start of the new league year.

That all depends on what transpires between now and then. You should know by now that Irsay does things differently.  Ryan is under contract next season so he only has a few options.  

23 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

The defense is being over rated again. Any random team can score on them at will.

Is there ever a third and medium or last minute drive where you're confident of someone stepping up or us getting a crucial stop?

Yes the stats aren't quite as bad as the offense but they don't strike me as a strength to build on.

I have to agree. The defense is being overrated. I understand though...it makes for a convenient distraction from having the league's worst offense.

Right now, the Colts are #25 in ppg. If you take out the DAL game, the Colts are #15 in defensive scoring. They are in the #10-15 range in other metrics as well. 

That's a solid defense. And they have been successful in some key areas (sacks, 3D %, run defense) and not so well in others (RZ scoring and TOs).

But still, at the end of the day, the defense isn't closing out teams. So I can't imagine how they would have 7 more wins right now.

As it relates to keeping Ballard, I don't see how on earth this is enough for Ballard to keep his job, but it's JMO. This defense is the culmination of six years of big investments, especially on the DL, which has been given (2) 1st rounders and (5) 2nd rounders worth of draft capital. It should be held to a high standard...at the bare minimum.

14 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

People actually think Ryan will be back? He's been benched twice in the same season. And he's owed $17M more if they keep him.

There is just no way. As soon as the season's ends, they will just unceremoniously release him and then he will either sign a one-day contract with ATL or just retire (like Rivers). Though who knows maybe his heart grows like the Grinch and he retires before they have to cut him. I wouldn't expect anybody to do that though.

Ballard has shown he can evaluate talent very well.  It just hasn’t all come together at the same time which is the problem. He built a terrific oline, the problem is they are aging to some degree and injuries have taken a toll, Kelly and Nelson are not the same players they were. If we had todays defense with luck we are a Super Bowl contender. 

The dline has been a strength throughout the years against the run and now they are pass rushing well too. The linebackers are all good, Zaire, Leonard, okereke. The safeties Blackmon and Thomas are promising, and Willis was a hit as well. At corner Isaiah rodgers looks like a very solid number 2, he brought in Kenny years ago and he has been great over the years in the slot but he may be losing a step. Gilmore is Gilmore and he’s aging but has arguably been our best defender this year. 

At the skill positions, Pittman was a hit, Taylor was obviously a hit. Pierce looks like a hit but it is early. Woods could be a complete mismatch if he can stay on the field and develop as a blocker. Campbell has been solid when he’s on the field. Hines was a hit, but we are better off with our best offensive player (JT) on the field than Hines. 

Based on what I have outlined above, he has shown that he can bring in talent at all positions except qb and left tackle thus far. Part of the issue with qb is we haven’t been high enough to draft a top qb. We would have had to jump chargers to get Herbert which was a long shot the year we traded for buck . Last years qb class was terrible and we had no first because of Wentz. Luck retired after draft as we all know. I am a Fields fan as well, but he was not expected to fall where he did, and he wasn’t necessarily a fit with frank because he is a tick slow as a processor. So basically the upgrade would have been Stafford who is perpetually injured and remains a turnover machine as well. At left tackle we need to bring competition for raiman as he cannot handle a bull rush, but I would bet that Ballard can figure out LT 

Archived