Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The reason Ballard is being kept

csmopar

So far:  our D has been top 10-12 all season long. Despite being on the field for YEARS  every game because of the crappy Offense we have.

but this is why Ballard is being kept. He’s built a solid D. If we can even get a halfway competent QB and WR, we’re 11-4 or better at this point. 

https://www.colts.com/news/deforest-buckner-dayo-odeyingbo-defense-sacks-record-los-angeles-chargers

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So far:  our D has been top 10-12 all season long. Despite being on the field for YEARS  every game because of the crappy Offense we have.

but this is why Ballard is being kept. He’s built a solid D. If we can even get a halfway competent QB and WR, we’re 11-4 or better at this point. 

https://www.colts.com/news/deforest-buckner-dayo-odeyingbo-defense-sacks-record-los-angeles-chargers

We do need a QB, but not sure I agree with the statement about a halfway competent QB.  The O-line is a major problem.  I think even a top shelf QB would struggle behind this line right now.  

4 minutes ago, gspdx said:

We do need a QB, but not sure I agree with the statement about a halfway competent QB.  The O-line is a major problem.  I think even a top shelf QB would struggle behind this line right now.  

100% Agree. We are not just a QB away from being a SB contender.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

11-4 is a stretch, 8-7 at best possibly. We win the Texans, Steelers, Commanders and the Eagles games, possibly and the Titans would have found a way to still beat us, IMO.

I can see that.  But I have a problem with Ballard right now with all of the "build from the inside out" talk.  We now have a very expensive O-line that is failing.  To be a contender that absolutely must be fixed.  I just don't know at this point if it is talent, injuries, desire, coaching, etc.

Here is the problem with Ballard. Every GM misses but he misses a lot.  His QB selections either via free agent or draft have been a disaster. How does he turn that around. He has bypassed great players such as AJ Brown to take Banago. This is not even close. To prove his worth he has overpaid for positions where you do not spend money. He has simply failed. 

If GMs were fired because they couldn't find a franchise QB there would be around 20 or more firings a season. IMO it's ridiculous that anything positive can be completely overlooked. There are entirely way too many keyboard GMs and head coaches who take this stuff way too personal.  

Fandom does strange things to peoples sense of reality.  

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yes Indy has a good defense. But pass rush has still evaded this team which Ballard has swung and missed on multiple times. Outside of Buckner, no other DL player can create much pass rush on his own. 

The defense is being over rated again. Any random team can score on them at will.

Is there ever a third and medium or last minute drive where you're confident of someone stepping up or us getting a crucial stop?

Yes the stats aren't quite as bad as the offense but they don't strike me as a strength to build on.

Just now, gspdx said:

I can see that.  But I have a problem with Ballard right now with all of the "build from the inside out" talk.  We now have a very expensive O-line that is failing.  To be a contender that absolutely must be fixed.  I just don't know at this point if it is talent, injuries, desire, coaching, etc.

It's probably a mix of all those things. It won't take long for the o line to be fixed IMO. Raimann has shown growth and I think deserves another year at LT next year. Someone else should be brought in to challenge him in camp. Nelson has had a bad year, but has shown to be one of the best in the league. He deserves another year to prove himself. If he dosnt improve next year then the contract needs reworked. Year 3 is when he gets his huge payday. Kelly is a hard one. These past couple games he hasn't seemed to be the problem he was earlier in the season. I was in the cut him club, but now not so sure. Contract should be reworked if retained due to not living up to it at all. Someone should be drafted here and battle with Pinter and Kelly (if retained).  Bring in a free agent, draft someone, and let those two and fries battle it out in camp for the RG spot. Smith is another tough one. He has held his own against some of the best in the league in Pasons and Watt. He got beat a few times last night. I'd say have him battle it out in camp and keep him in the RG picture too.

It sounds like alot, but thats only an off-season worth of work. Contracts need reworked since they're "the highest paid oline", which the commentators love to point out every game. Like they did when Dallas had the highest and started slipping.

As to the opening poster, yes the defense being as good as they are is a great point as why to keep ballard. Is he perfect, no, but he knows what he is doing. He will get these premium positions right. Heck LT might already be here and developing. He got a pass rusher, but since he dosnt do well against the run it dosnt count apparently. He has been trying at QB. Getting old retreads is a similar philosophy to getting a 1st rd qb in the draft that everyone will most likely not be a franchise back. Just throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks. Anyways, Ballard deserves more time. I have faith he will get it right, and make this team a winner again.

19 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Oh, I did forget the Vikings game. However, I do wonder that given the tendencies of teams stepping it up when push came to shove against our D and O in the 4th quarter, if the Steelers and Eagles would have done what was needed to win as well. The issue while evaluating is that we think everything else will be constant and play out the same way while ONLY the offense needs fixed (we do the same thing with a band aid QB, assuming everything good will stay at the same good level as last year and inserting a band aid QB will be a net additional effect, now we know it is not true). Every action has an opposite reaction. If we scored, say 24, versus the Steelers, they would find a way to score 27 and beat us because our D, despite holding that giant lead vs Vikes and the O not turning it over, didn't do much to limit them to FGs when it was necessary.

That is why I have my doubts that this would be anything more than a .500 team even with the 2022 D playing at what it is with any immobile QB. If we had our 2018 OL and Luck with this D, yes we can be 11-4. If we had our 2020 OL and Rivers with this D, we could be 11-4, but with our current OL and Rivers, we'd be .500 and only Luck would have gotten us to 10 wins with this OL because of his legs.

9 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Yes Indy has a good defense. But pass rush has still evaded this team which Ballard has swung and missed on multiple times. Outside of Buckner, no other DL player can create much pass rush on his own. 

We're 4 sacks away from the record set by the 05 colts, Freeney and Mathis. That tells me pass rush is not a problem. 

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

The Colts are 6th in sacks with 43 going into this week. The Colts defense has had to carry an obvious inept offense all season. The defense has not been the problem for the Colts.  

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

100% Agree. We are not just a QB away from being a SB contender.

our offense is a disaster! just getting a new qb will not fix things. we need a whole new oline, new elite receivers who can get open, new tight ends who can block as well as catch, in other words above average game changing talent. ballards low end draft picks and free agents cant compete in todays nfl. ballard has put us at the near bottom of our division for years to come. no matter who the coach is they have to have above average talent to work with. ballard has failed at this

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If GMs were fired because they couldn't find a franchise QB there would be around 20 or more firings a season. IMO it's ridiculous that anything positive can be completely overlooked. There are entirely way too many keyboard GMs and head coaches who take this stuff way too personal.  

Fandom does strange things to peoples sense of reality.  

a 100 percent true, no argument here.   

5 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

our offense is a disaster! just getting a new qb will not fix things. we need a whole new oline, new elite receivers who can get open, new tight ends who can block as well as catch, in other words above average game changing talent. ballards low end draft picks and free agents cant compete in todays nfl. ballard has put us at the near bottom of our division for years to come. no matter who the coach is they have to have above average talent to work with. ballard has failed at this

I think with a very good QB, we are division contenders but that is the ceiling of this roster as is right now. I am very realistic there. When you add something, you have to realize with season to season flux, there is subtraction elsewhere as well and it is not always net addition that is a result. Every other team is improving too in the division and conference. But when you see the fourth quarter numbers across years across QBs and across DCs in 2021 and 2022, we don't have an extra gear, whether it is scheme or coaching or talent to hang with the best when opponents turn it up a notch.

Right now, we will "settle" for being division contenders, that is a start. 

2 minutes ago, KB said:

It's probably a mix of all those things. It won't take long for the o line to be fixed IMO. Raimann has shown growth and I think deserves another year at LT next year. Someone else should be brought in to challenge him in camp. Nelson has had a bad year, but has shown to be one of the best in the league. He deserves another year to prove himself. If he dosnt improve next year then the contract needs reworked. Year 3 is when he gets his huge payday. Kelly is a hard one. These past couple games he hasn't seemed to be the problem he was earlier in the season. I was in the cut him club, but now not so sure. Contract should be reworked if retained due to not living up to it at all. Someone should be drafted here and battle with Pinter and Kelly (if retained).  Bring in a free agent, draft someone, and let those two and fries battle it out in camp for the RG spot. Smith is another tough one. He has held his own against some of the best in the league in Pasons and Watt. He got beat a few times last night. I'd say have him battle it out in camp and keep him in the RG picture too.

It sounds like alot, but thats only an off-season worth of work. Contracts need reworked since they're "the highest paid oline", which the commentators love to point out every game. Like they did when Dallas had the highest and started slipping.

As to the opening poster, yes the defense being as good as they are is a great point as why to keep ballard. Is he perfect, no, but he knows what he is doing. He will get these premium positions right. Heck LT might already be here and developing. He got a pass rusher, but since he dosnt do well against the run it dosnt count apparently. He has been trying at QB. Getting old retreads is a similar philosophy to getting a 1st rd qb in the draft that everyone will most likely not be a franchise back. Just throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks. Anyways, Ballard deserves more time. I have faith he will get it right, and make this team a winner again.

Great post I couldn’t have said it better.  Agree with everything you said.  It’s amazing how many people want Ballard gone.   They want Gus gone too.  We have a great defense, without Leonard btw, and they want Gus gone too.  You can’t make this nonsense up.  Thank goodness Ballard will be back.  I also have faith he will get it right.  It won’t take long.  Irsay knows it as well.

39 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He does not have a solid D against balanced offences and  his D cannot close out games. People want to give  to give the excuse that it is gassed. 

21 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Pass rush is a problem?   Hate to say it but you are in another world with that comment.  Can’t believe you posted that.

While our defense is good (Not great. Definitely not elite.) our offense is a disaster and, like the defense, also Ballard’s work. 

I think his hit/miss rate in the draft is about what you can expect from any GM. But his hits are on non-premium positions (LG, RB and WLB) while his misses are on premium positions (DE especially, but also WR). Then add he’s completely bungled this Oline these past two seasons (Fisher, Pryor and Pinter) and he refuses to pay for elite players on premium positions in FA. 

I won’t put the QB situation solely on Ballard anymore. I think Reich, Ballard and Irsay all have a hand in that stinking mess, but all of the above is more than enough to boot any GM from a franchise. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Great post I couldn’t have said it better.  Agree with everything you said.  It’s amazing how many people want Ballard gone.   They want Gus gone too.  We have a great defense, without Leonard btw, and they want Gus gone too.  You can’t make this nonsense up.  Thank goodness Ballard will be back.  I also have faith he will get it right.  It won’t take long.  Irsay knows it as well.

Tòo many fans forget what shape this team was when Ballard was hired. Has Ballard been perfect? No but he has made some great moves. Maybe it's time to let Ballard run the whole team without the influence of Irsay or the coaches? 

As always it’s an overreaction league, especially for teams w a prolonged success. Reason why Ballard is staying mainly because he is a great drafter whether people want to give him credit for or not and for the Colts it’s vital as we can pretty much only draft or trade for talent w us being a non coveted FA destination. 

What we desperately need is an offensive coach whether HC or OC, like Sirianni. Reich started off great but year after year he under performed and generally started to decline almost game by game. 

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Personally, I don't mind giving Ballard 2 years if we win the division in the next 2 years with talent added at LT, CB and WR in addition to the obvious QB situation. I don't mind giving Gus the additional time too for the next 2 years. I just have my doubts based on what I have seen so far in the fourth quarter across QBs across DCs in 2021 and 2022 with our team not having an extra gear to match opponents to close out games. It is very reasonable and fair for me to have my doubts based on those, IMO.

A situation that is likely to happen with Gus coaching our D and Ballard sticking around for another 2 years is us being a wild card team like the Raiders with Carr last year with Gus coaching the D but still falling short to the AFC winning Bengals. 

14 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

What an overreaction man, give us a talent at playcalling like Sirianni or a Mike McDaniel or Shanahan and this offence could be cooking w a decent qb. 

This defense is solid but NOT championship caliber. Those types of defenses don't give up HISTORICAL type of scoring numbers. Teams are scoring TD's at will. Turnovers are part of the game and this defense is a Ballard mirage. When the team needs an ABSOLUTE stop they can't get it or the SACK they need WHEN IT COUNTS!!!! Now is this defense so dominant that it JUSTIFIES Ballard being retained? I say no. It's NOT like we're top 5!! So...

If you want to OVERLOOK this train wreck of an offense, the sub .500 record, not ONE division title, no franchise qb, no explosive receivers, or cornerstone LT, no elite DE or young shutdown corner, don't forget about the HIGHEST paid o-line in the league giving you bottom 5 production and this team has NEVER been a SB contending team in Ballard’s SIX year tenure so I guess he gets a pass but the truth is that Ballard is stealing money BASED on the minimal results. Meanwhile other teams in the division as well as the AFC have left the Colts in the rear view mirror.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Tòo many fans forget what shape this team was when Ballard was hired. Has Ballard been perfect? No but he has made some great moves. Maybe it's time to let Ballard run the whole team without the influence of Irsay or the coaches? 

You think that can realistically happen?

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are what your record says you are.  So how much better is this team than when Ballard was hired? 

I have been very supportive of Ballard until this year.  I just don't think we are near as far along on building Ballard's vision as some think.

1 minute ago, gspdx said:

You are what your record says you are.  So how much better is this team than when Ballard was hired? 

I have been very supportive of Ballard until this year.  I just don't think we are near as far along on building Ballard's vision as some think.

I understand that but for myself I don't think we are this dumpster fire that some think either. 

It's just a couple of spots that need addressing right now and it can be turned around pretty quickly. The key is finding a franchise QB.  

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Probably not. I just remember that Bill Polian had 100% control and wouldn't have it any other way.  

That is why if we go full court press on a guy like Jim Harbaugh (am hoping he wins the national championship at Michigan), we promise him full control. If he wants to bring in his own GM, let him and bring back Vic Fangio, let him. That is just an example.

Similarly, if you trust Ballard, give him full control over all his coaching selections and let him rise and fall on the fruits of his labor that are entirely his, you know what I mean. That is truly the only way it would work, like it did for the most part with Bill Polian.

3 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

no coach can win with subpar talent and that is on ballard

Absolutely can. Reich has implemented a system that just didn’t work out and never stood a chance imho, we have decent talent at RB OL and TE on average, WR needs more skill, but Pittman and Pierce can work. I think Jelani has really high ceiling. 

So much depends on good coaching. Look at defensive side, a year ago Franklin was deemed cuttable and now is a top 5 tackler in the league.

This team is much, much closer than the Bengals, for example,, were before they got a QB.  No one will hand out medals for it, but for a 4 win team, this is a pretty good team.  Truly horrible teams like early 90's Colts teams couldn't dream of competing with elite teams.  This team beat the Chiefs and should have beaten some of the best teams in the league, and they competed relatively well with some of the worst QB play in the NFL.

Just a few years ago the Bengals and Bills were the biggest jokes in the league, neither winning a playoff game in almost 30 years.  Now, next Monday, it's the matchup of the year.  With a QB, we can get there quicker than either of them did.

6 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard loves lower round subpar talent because they will work for cheap and saves jim money too. maybe that is why jim kept ballard

Yeah like how he used a low round pick on Q and paid him peanuts. Oh, what about trading that 7th rounder for Buckner. Gilmore was a great undrafted free agent. Leonard and Smith with those 5th round picks was a work of magic. There's more too.

26 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Oh yes. I remember the Colts went 8-8 two years in a row before Ballard was hired. They missed the playoffs both years. With the success they're having now, it's hard to imagine such a dark time. haha

Archived