Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The reason Ballard is being kept

csmopar

7 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I would add MAC to your list.  He’s not a #1 TE.  The Colts need to have a blocking TE to go with the Woods, Granson, and Ogletree. 

Ryan Kelly is a huge liability.   People need to stop making excuses for him. He’s graded below average to down right bad for three years now. 

I agree about Raimann too. He’s getting better each game.  C and RG need to be fixed or C and RT if they move Smith to RG.  

While we’re talking about moving  on from players, Kenny Moore needs to be discussed.  I’m good with Gilly, Flowers, and Rodgers.  Moore has done nothing to show me is soft holdout was warranted.   

I agree with this post

Kelly needs benched asap

We need an above average QB, we need an above average RG, we need Pinter in lineup, and blocking TE asap

JUST these 4 things, and the other players, playing up to their salaries, and this team, can be a top 10 team

IMHO...... Ballard is a mixed bag

He has failed miserably in getting the two most important roles filled on he offense

The QB and LT (I hope Raiman is the answer, but LT play has been horrible the past 2-3 years 

after Costanza

Ballard has been here for awhile and  he has the head coach reporting in to him

I loved what Reich stands for......  But he would be a much better OC than a HC

After managing employees for many years, (25 years plus) I could tell very soon, when a manager or an employee were in over their head, and its time to move on

The decision on Reich should have been made 2-3 years ago

That's on the GM

I also think that if we get lucky, and get Harbaugh, I would let him be HC AND GM for a short period

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree with this post

Kelly needs benched asap

We need an above average QB, we need an above average RG, we need Pinter in lineup, and blocking TE asap

JUST these 4 things, and the other players, playing up to their salaries, and this team, can be a top 10 team

He has failed miserably in getting the two most important roles filled on he offense

The QB and LT (I hope Raiman is the answer, but LT play has been horrible the past 2-3 years 

after Costanza

After managing employees for many years, (25 years plus) I could tell very soon, when a manager or an employee were in over their head, and its time to move on

That's on the GM

I also think that if we get lucky, and get Harbaugh, I would let him be HC AND GM for a short period

My biggest disappointment with Jeff so far is not benching Ryan for Pinter.  

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

My biggest disappointment with Jeff so far is not benching Ryan for Pinter.  

Maybe Pinter isn’t better?  I know he filled in for a few games last year and looked good to the point they gave him the RG job.  Now he’s a known quantity, unlike last year when he filled in, in the NFL and maybe watching tape the guy we saw at RG is closer to the type of player he really is.  I keep saying center needs to be looked at this off-season so I am not against replacing Kelly and as a Ball State grad I’d love Pinter to be that guy but just because I want both things doesn’t mean it will work that way.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe Pinter isn’t better?  I know he filled in for a few games last year and looked good to the point they gave him the RG job.  Now he’s a known quantity, unlike last year when he filled in, in the NFL and maybe watching tape the guy we saw at RG is closer to the type of player he really is.  I keep saying center needs to be looked at this off-season so I am not against replacing Kelly and as a Ball State grad I’d love Pinter to be that guy but just because I want both things doesn’t mean it will work that way.

The guy looked good playing center not guard.  There is a difference.  You need a big man to play guard.  Could Kelly play RG I doubt it.  I think now is the time to give him an opportunity back at center.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The guy looked good playing center not guard.  There is a difference.  You need a big man to play guard.  Could Kelly play RG I doubt it.  I think now is the time to give him an opportunity back at center.

Not that big of a difference.  You may think that but it’s possible the Colts have seen things that tell them otherwise, and since they access to all the tape and all the practices and it’s their job to know things like this it’s clearly possible they have seen things that tell them Pinter isn’t better.  I’d love for Pinter to be the answer for reasons I stated above but again just because I want it doesn’t mean it will be.  

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not that big of a difference.  You may think that but it’s possible the Colts have seen things that tell them otherwise, and since they access to all the tape and all the practices and it’s their job to know things like this it’s clearly possible they have seen things that tell them Pinter isn’t better.  I’d love for Pinter to be the answer for reasons I stated above but again just because I want it doesn’t mean it will be.  

If Pinter can’t play center then it’s time for both players to move on.

Just now, richard pallo said:

If Pinter can’t play center then it’s time for both players to move on.

I wouldn’t have a problem with that this off-season.  Odds are Pinter at least finishes his rookie contract though.  He can be depth peace even if he’s not a full time starter.  Kelly is going to be a big decision this off-season.  Personally I’d move on from him.  

17 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think we've seen what Pierce can or can't do. I wouldn't say route running is a strength at this point, but he's a rookie with a first year possession coach, and bad/ineffective play calling and game planning. And I spent some time watching some All 22 earlier this season, and saw predominantly short and shallow routes from all of our receivers. However, once in a while, I saw Pierce beat defenders downfield, and not get a look. 

I'm not counting Campbell among our assets for next year. He's a FA, and this is his first season playing extensively. I assume he'll be with a different team next season. Because of his injuries, it's possible the explosiveness he used to have isn't there anymore. But we haven't really given him a chance to show it. When we run our ugly, ineffective bubble screens, we usually throw to Pittman, which is weird because he's probably our least dynamic pass catcher, and probably our best blocking receiver; it would seem like we'd throw to Campbell, Dulin, or Coutee (or Hines when he was here), with Pittman out front. Alas...

Yeah Supe, my son and I were watching film earlier in the year, but we couldn’t stomach it after Denver.

Where do you stand on Pittman?

I think we should shop him.  What kinda money do you think we should pay him?

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree with this post

Kelly needs benched asap

after Costanza

That's on the GM

Reixh 2 or 3 years ago?? Please, he  was  the only thing that held this over rated  roster together. U r seeing  the results of 6 years of team building by Ballard.

32 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Reixh 2 or 3 years ago?? Please, he  was  the only thing that held this over rated  roster together. U r seeing  the results of 6 years of team building by Ballard.

Ok.  Good point. Let’s say  Past TWO seasons 

We have started so many game the past 2 years (including this year) down 10-14 points before we got going.  That’s coaching not being prepared. 

Ballard needs to go as well

Clean house

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ok.  Good point. Let’s say  Past TWO seasons 

We have started so many game the past 2 years (including this year) down 10-14 points before we got going.  That’s coaching not being prepared. 

Ballard needs to go as well

Clean house

U don't think that has to do with the  run of  qbs  going thru here?. Look  what he dis with  Luck. People dismissed that and he had his best year under Reich.  Rivers had a great bounce back  year under  Reich. Brisett has his best year jnder Reich. Wentz even had a good statistical  year  under Reich.

I don't think Ballard should be kept. But it isn't up to me or us fans that agree.. Irsay screwed this team up more than he thought he would. Are record before Ballard and Frank can't even think of it cause this 6 years have been awful.

Let Ballard find a QB. I don't trust it. But Irsay already wasted money in this HC and GM.

I know there's waisted road ahead but just let see what happens. 

Maybe get franchise QB this year or sacrifice for the next coming years. We got long road for Arch Manning and Caleb Williams..

It might not be long road that is the issue. Will they want to play for this team???

Just saw this mentioned I don’t know how reasonable it would be. But apparently it’s been done before. I think a team did this last year.  It was mentioned how maybe dodds takes over and Ballard steps down after the draft. That way the scouting reports stay intact ect. 

Anyone remember what team did this last year. I can’t think of who it was.

On 12/31/2022 at 12:31 PM, Nickster said:

Yeah Supe, my son and I were watching film earlier in the year, but we couldn’t stomach it after Denver.

Where do you stand on Pittman?

I think we should shop him.  What kinda money do you think we should pay him?

I said earlier in this thread that I don't think it's a good idea for the Colts to pay Pittman right now. I'd rather trade him.

I'll go a half step further and say that even if we had our HC, QB, OL all settled and our offense was in great shape, I'm not sure Pittman brings the kind of impact on the field that would warrant the kind of contract that I think he's going to be asking for. I think he's a really solid player, he works hard, does the dirty work during games, he's tough, and like the rest of our receivers he's been in a miserable situation this year. I think it would be great to keep him, but not at market value, and not for this team.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I said earlier in this thread that I don't think it's a good idea for the Colts to pay Pittman right now. I'd rather trade him.

I'll go a half step further and say that even if we had our HC, QB, OL all settled and our offense was in great shape, I'm not sure Pittman brings the kind of impact on the field that would warrant the kind of contract that I think he's going to be asking for. I think he's a really solid player, he works hard, does the dirty work during games, he's tough, and like the rest of our receivers he's been in a miserable situation this year. I think it would be great to keep him, but not at market value, and not for this team.

It's yet to be determined what he wants in a new contract. It's unfair to expect him to sign a contract lower than what what he has earned.  

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's yet to be determined what he wants in a new contract. It's unfair to expect him to sign a contract lower than what what he has earned.  

I'm not suggesting he should. I'm questioning whether the Colts should be the team paying him.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm not suggesting he should. I'm questioning whether the Colts should be the team paying him.

If he has earned another contract then the Colts should sign him. What he did or didn't do this season shouldn't be held against him with the porous QB play we had this year.  

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree. Pittman isn’t a number 1. But I think that’s Ballard again. He doesn’t draft number one receivers. He doesn’t seem to value route running at all as he keeps drafting 6’3” receivers who can run block but can’t consistently separate. He definitely isn’t worth a contract extension.

Especially since I think a big issue with this team is that we re-sign and overpay players frequently.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't quite understand why not? He has the talent and his skills will be needed. He is 25 years old and is just now entering his prime years. 

59 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I agree. Pittman isn’t a number 1. But I think that’s Ballard again. He doesn’t draft number one receivers. He doesn’t seem to value route running at all as he keeps drafting 6’3” receivers who can run block but can’t consistently separate. He definitely isn’t worth a contract extension.

Especially since I think a big issue with this team is that we re-sign and overpay players frequently.

I disagree. Pittman isn't deficient as a route runner. And people are always talking about whether receivers get separation, but unless someone is watching All 22 they simply do not know what they're talking about. Pittman actually gets pretty good separation, but that doesn't matter if the QB doesn't get the ball to him.

I also disagree that we overpay players. I think people who say this don't actually pay attention to player contracts around the league. And it's ironic, because at the same time that you complain that we overpay players, you'll also criticize Ballard as being cheap. 

I don't think Pittman is a #1, but recent WR contracts have shown an obvious market for players with similar production to Pittman. There's a huge difference between Pittman and AJ Brown, but McLaurin and Pittman are basically the same guy on the stat sheet, at least prior to this season. Diontae Johnson is a great comp, and he got $18m/year. I'd rather recoup some trade capital and go another direction.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If he has earned another contract then the Colts should sign him. What he did or didn't do this season shouldn't be held against him with the porous QB play we had this year.  

57 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't quite understand why not? He has the talent and his skills will be needed. He is 25 years old and is just now entering his prime years. 

How much do you think he should be paid? What do you think his market is? 

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If we trade Pittman, we'll need to acquire a #1 AND a #2 WR.

Keeping him doesn't help us acquire a #1. Trading him might.

And we just drafted Pierce, who definitely has the ability to be a #2. He might be capable of more than that. Or maybe we can just write him off, like people love to do...

1 minute ago, Superman said:

How much do you think he should be paid? What do you think his market is? 

Look, Pitt has earned himself a contract and to dismiss him like he is not worth what he has earned is wrong. 

Jeez, some of you guys act like players contracts are coming out of your pockets. 

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Look, Pitt has earned himself a contract and to dismiss him like he is not worth what he has earned is wrong. 

Jeez, some of you guys act like players contracts are coming out of your pockets. 

Nonsense.

What has he earned? How much should he be paid? Just make him the highest paid WR in league history, since it's not my money? Or do you agree that it actually matters how the team handles the cap, and how they allocate resources?

Just now, Superman said:

Nonsense.

What has he earned? How much should he be paid? Just make him the highest paid WR in league history, since it's not my money? Or do you agree that it actually matters how the team handles the cap, and how they allocate resources?

Now you are putting words in my mouth. 

Just stop.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Now you know how it feels...

It's a simple question that you won't touch for some reason. Do you have any idea what his market is? Does it even matter to you?

No it doesn't matter to me. He is paid what a GM thinks he is worth.

Why do you feel the need to argue about this?

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

No it doesn't matter to me. He is paid what a GM thinks he is worth.

Why do you feel the need to argue about this?

This is such a dishonest approach on your part. You disagreed with me, I asked you for specifics, and you pulled your victim card.

If it doesn't matter to you, then that's clearly the difference between my viewpoint and yours. And you could have just said that you don't care how much he gets paid, you just want to keep him. Instead, you accused me of asking him to accept less than he's worth (whatever amount that is), you accused me of dismissing him, and you misrepresented my viewpoint. If you don't want an argument, then don't start one.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is such a dishonest approach on your part. You disagreed with me, I asked you for specifics, and you pulled your victim card.

If it doesn't matter to you, then that's clearly the difference between my viewpoint and yours. And you could have just said that you don't care how much he gets paid, you just want to keep him. Instead, you accused me of asking him to accept less than he's worth (whatever amount that is), you accused me of dismissing him, and you misrepresented my viewpoint. If you don't want an argument, then don't start one.

Quit being ridiculous.  

There is a strong case to be made that if an individual poster finds himself in ridiculous angry posts back and forth with multiple posters they need to sit in time out for awhile…… or longer

its a message board that should be a fun place to visit

it’s also a sport….. it’s not life important…….  We ALL come up with bad opinions at some time or another. I have had more than a few……. (That in hindsight we’re just plain wrong)

and that’s ok…My life isn’t over if someone doesn’t agree with me ….. But…. A few folks want to be nasty to others just because they have a different opinion

thats sad

How about some goodwill and peace toward man?

28 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

There is a strong case to be made that if an individual poster finds himself in ridiculous angry posts back and forth with multiple posters they need to sit in time out for awhile…… or longer

its a message board that should be a fun place to visit

it’s also a sport….. it’s not life important…….  We ALL come up with bad opinions at some time or another. I have had more than a few……. (That in hindsight we’re just plain wrong)

and that’s ok…My life isn’t over if someone doesn’t agree with me ….. But…. A few folks want to be nasty to others just because they have a different opinion

thats sad

How about some goodwill and peace toward man?

People have a lot invested personally in being “righteous ”.  It’s one of the ugly sides of the Internet because this is magnified.  

I look at this site as a place to sit around as if at a bar and talk about the soap opera that is professional sports.  This is what we all do here in my opinion.

My mom and grandma and aunts used to do this when I was a kid with one life to live,  general hospital, and the one with the Buchanan’s.  They talked, discussed debated on who on the shows was doing what and enjoyed the experience.

that’s all this place is.

I personally will own up when my opinions are demonstrably wrong but I will never apologize for having an opinion and I definitely won’t apologize for sharing my opinion in a site where the point is to share opinions on Colts football.

I have however apologized to a couple of people privately when I thought I crossed the line in an exchange.  I do fight back v. As hominem attacks on occasion but I’m simply here to talk ball.

it is a curious phenomenon to me that so many people seek to be righteous on a sports MB.  I know dudes enjoy being right.  That’s testosterone.  You know.  I’ll cut your throat in a checkers game.  Rams squaring off.  That’s beautiful male behavior IMO.  Open, public, honest competitive meaningless harmless confrontation.

but that’s not the same as being righteous.  That is weird.

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

People have a lot invested personally in being “righteous ”.  It’s one of the ugly sides of the Internet because this is magnified.  

I look at this site as a place to sit around as if at a bar and talk about the soap opera that is professional sports.  This is what we all do here in my opinion.

My mom and grandma and aunts used to do this when I was a kid with one life to live,  general hospital, and the one with the Buchanan’s.  They talked, discussed debated on who on the shows was doing what and enjoyed the experience.

that’s all this place is.

I personally will own up when my opinions are demonstrably wrong but I will never apologize for having an opinion and I definitely won’t apologize for sharing my opinion in a site where the point is to share opinions on Colts football.

I have however apologized to a couple of people privately when I thought I crossed the line in an exchange.  I do fight back v. As hominem attacks on occasion but I’m simply here to talk ball.

it is a curious phenomenon to me that so many people seek to be righteous on a sports MB.  I know dudes enjoy being right.  That’s testosterone.  You know.  I’ll cut your throat in a checkers game.  Rams squaring off.  That’s beautiful male behavior IMO.  Open, public, honest competitive meaningless harmless confrontation.

but that’s not the same as being righteous.  That is weird.

Well this might be a good post, if you were right. You’re not though, I am!

200.gif

Archived