Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we YEARS away from contention?


bluephantom87

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I feel we can be in the playoffs next year if we get the right QB and HC. This isn't a talent poor team, the problem is we have an over the hill statue QB with an imperfect OL. You draft a QB and bring in a FA starting RG and some depth pieces, and we can be a 10 win team. I can see progression with Raimann where if he gets an offseason of S&C he could be average to above average next year. The biggest step is getting the right head coach. The sky is not falling, this isn't a rebuild or a complete tear down it's just adding a piece or two. WR is good, Woods at TE is showing flashes, and the RB position is fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It stuns me that there are so many people who are still positive about how close we are.

 

It's a roster with terrible contracts at most of the secondary positions, no talent at the key ones and a back office who have brought us here.

 

Even if we drafted a quarterback this year we'd be losing some of our most talented players by the time they'd settled in. We've built in the wrong way for 5 years and it will likely take even longer to change that around. We're right on the borderline of being the Browns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

It stuns me that there are so many people who are still positive about how close we are.

 

It's a roster with terrible contracts at most of the secondary positions, no talent at the key ones and a back office who have brought us here.

 

Even if we drafted a quarterback this year we'd be losing some of our most talented players by the time they'd settled in. We've built in the wrong way for 5 years and it will likely take even longer to change that around. We're right on the borderline of being the Browns.

I completely disagree, if you get the right HC QB combo you can be competitive the first year and contenders the second. We have a great RB room, and a young talented WR & TE room. Woods is gonna be a beast. Pittman and Pierce are growing every year. The weakest spot is the OL but we have a rookie LT that is getting better every week and just need a RG. The problem is the weakest position is the QB which is sinking the offense. Then on defense Gilmore was a great FA addition solidifying the number one CB. We are getting exactly what we wanted from Yannik and the LB group is amazing. 

 

If you just add a rookie QB and a RG next year and get the HC right we are built perfectly for a rookie QB to grow, a strong run game, big WRs (and TE Woods) that can win 50-50 balls, and a strong defense that has shown that even with turnovers they can keep a team under 21 points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends on who we have at GM. 
Depends on who he brings in as HC. 
Depends on who we have at QB. 
 

I’m not convinced Ballard can turn this team around. He built this. The way this team has turned out is squarely on him. 
 

We need a HC who understands building an offensive scheme around his players instead of shoe horning players into his scheme. 
 

We need to take a shot at a young QB in the draft and he will take time to get adjusted to the NFL. He may turn out to be a bust and we would need to try again. 
 

We could be looking a lot better next season. We could be waiting years until we’re a contender again. There are a lot of questions that need answering. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

 

I don't care WHO the Colts draft at qb IF they even draft one but this team has MANY issues moving forward!!!! For those who like Saturday he's the SECOND hc THIS SEASON to have a 3 game LOSING streak! The Cowboys pressured the Colts over 30% of the time and had TEN (I say again TEN) players credited with at least ONE qb pressure (let that sink in) not what you want to see from the HIGHEST paid o-line in the league. Q is NOT the same since the back surgeries. I don't even see the fire. Is it the money or more of the REALITY that HE knows the DOMINANT days are over due to his back?Can even a "special" rookie qb or ANOTHER aged vet come in and THRIVE under those conditions?

 

The Colts can't stretch the field  CONSISTENTLY in the PASSING game. You can put some of that on the CLEARLY washed Matt whose no zip passes are easy pickings outside 15yds but remember Wentz had a arm and the questions were about the RECEIVERS not getting SEPERATION. Talent? I say this team LACKS EXPLOSIVE receivers. More like big possession types with no wiggle to CREATE space but ones who can shield with jump ball type catches. I think the totality of injuries have robbed PC of some burst too because I don't see him getting BEHIND defenders or doing damage in open space. Scheme? Can a young gun qb come in slinging the ball into TIGHT windows on a want to be smash mouth type of team?

 

The WHOLE offenSIVE scheme needs to change. So TIRED of the first down run up the gut!!! (over 70% last night) It's too easy for opposing defenses to contain. We don't even TRY to attack with an ATTEMPTED pass downfield or endzone shot with a short field after the defense gets a turnover. That was a Manning and EARLY Luck staple! Instead its turn and HOPE JT can get through a cluster of bodies. Speaking of our BASIC running game teams like the Niners, Eagles and Cowboys SCHEME runnings lanes to put talented rbs in positions to SUCCEED with motion, off tackle runs, misdirection and sweeps from MULTIPLE formations INSTEAD of simply lining up mostly in TIGHT formations trying to play SMASHMOUTH with no lead blocker. :facepalm: 

 

The Colts were OUTSCORED 33-0 in the 4th quarter!!! That hasn't happened since the 1925 Chicago Cardinals did that to the Milwaukee Badgers. Geez!! Our defense STILL lacks a CONSISTENT pass rush. We are a solid defense but NOT a dominant or attacking one.

 

The Colts are on the VERGE of becoming a team that most top tier coaches will stay AWAY from IF other options are available. The Colts can sell HOPE however they want to but in REALITY this team has a LONG way to go in order to CONTEND for anything. Don't get me wrong a young dynamic qb is a NECESSARY starting point just ask the Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Dolphins, Chargers and Bengals who have ALL ascended in the AFC while Ballard played musical chairs with the position. The narrative that's been carried that the Colts are a qb away is just a whisper in the dark.

Sadly but I think a lot of the playing calling is a result of the Olines inability to block and Ryan is toast.  People call for more Woods and Granson but they cannot block. God taukir is almost a liability and  cannot block. This team is a mess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

It stuns me that there are so many people who are still positive about how close we are.

 

It's a roster with terrible contracts at most of the secondary positions, no talent at the key ones and a back office who have brought us here.

 

Even if we drafted a quarterback this year we'd be losing some of our most talented players by the time they'd settled in. We've built in the wrong way for 5 years and it will likely take even longer to change that around. We're right on the borderline of being the Browns.

 

This ^ Our two best players on offense are JT and Q. JT is a overused rb (short shelve life) in a PASSING league who takes a pounding on a regular. How much longer do you think he can sustain that before INJURIES come into play? To me Q is already showing slight signs of decline due to repeated BACK surgeries but he carries a hefty price tag. NOT good for a guy in the trenches.

 

On to the two best on defense. Leonard and Buckner. Leonard is now facing some serious issues moving forward after a few surgeries and he also carries a hefty price tag. Buckner is a top dt and ditto with the price but what benefits has it garnered? I'm glad so many here are positive because MOST nationally see us as a POORLY built and ran team with no sense of direction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

 

This ^ Our two best players on offense are JT and Q. JT is a overused rb (short shelve life) in a PASSING league who takes a pounding on a regular. How much longer do you think he can sustain that before INJURIES come into play? To me Q is already showing slight signs of decline due to repeated BACK surgeries but he carries a hefty price tag. NOT good for a guy in the trenches.

 

On to the two best on defense. Leonard and Buckner. Leonard is now facing some serious issues moving forward after a few surgeries and he also carries a hefty price tag. Buckner is a top dt and ditto with the price but what benefits has it garnered? I'm glad so many here are positive because MOST nationally see us as a POORLY built and ran team with no sense of direction.

The issue with the ball handling positions right now is that they are not very well rounded players.

 

JT is a great runner of the ball, but he does not pass block very well, so plays that require that skill are going to suffer...or you have to bring in the blocking RB and that either telegraphs the play or limits the running play because he is a less skilled runner.

 

The TEs like Woods and Granson can contribute in passing but are struggling blocking, and Mo blocks but can't contribute much as a pass catcher.

 

Our receivers catch but none block very well.

 

I like the group of young players, but in no way would I count on them to be anything more than the one dimensional players they each seem to be.  Which really limits the play calling when certain groups are on the field...and leads to a certain amount of predictability. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We may be years away. But in the end hopefully it was worth the wait.. We need better coaching and a handful of players to be really good again. Look how many games we were close in winning and they were against good teams. This team isn't as far off as some think.. We need some changes is all hopefully Irsay hits them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

If the draft was held today we would pick in the 9th spot. If we leave Ryan as the QB the rest of the season we would pick in the top three or five spot. Then we would surely get an elite QB, providing Ballard goes that route. Here’s hoping!!

I don't think it matters right now who's QB. They'll get destroyed behind our OL. Next draft I hope we get a top 3 tackle. Along with new offensive coaches we should be ready to pick our QB of the future in 2024.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think when Nick left for the eagles the plays being used changed. Being able to have a couch who can utilize players abilities will change this team. 

OL for sure needs to be changed. 

Ryan is a good qb and has shown how good he can be but yes we need a franchise qb. 

 

The D has been good but hasn't gotten the turnovers this year like last year and has alot to do with Leonard being out. 

 

The Colts could and actually should have a better record then they do honestly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I'm glad so many here are positive because MOST nationally see us as a POORLY built and ran team with no sense of direction.

Well that's pretty much been how MOST nationally have always seen the Indianapolis Colts. Then came the PM Era and the Colts received alot of Bandwagon fans due to winning so much. Now those fans have certain expectations  or something is wrong. 

 

Winning cures everything but look at the state of some of the other teams in the NFL. I'm not sure what most fans expect out of a football game. Somebody is going to lose or tie. Only 2 teams get to play in the big dance. And out of 32 teams there's only one true winner. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, strt182 said:

Well that's pretty much been how MOST nationally have always seen the Indianapolis Colts. Then came the PM Era and the Colts received alot of Bandwagon fans due to winning so much. Now those fans have certain expectations  or something is wrong. 

 

Winning cures everything but look at the state of some of the other teams in the NFL. I'm not sure what most fans expect out of a football game. Somebody is going to lose or tie. Only 2 teams get to play in the big dance. And out of 32 teams there's only one true winner. 

 

 

I think that's a stretch. What's going on with the Colts now IS reason for concern. Ballard came in with a lot of premature media hype as being one of the "best" as a FIRST TIME gm. So the sky was the limit for this team. Now SIX years later this team has NEVER been a SB contender nor even won a division title under Ballard. The team has MAJOR holes at KEY positions and on NATIONALLY televised games this season the Colts have looked awful capped off by being outscored 33-0 in the 4th quarter of the last game. Wow! The Colts have EARNED that narrative as of late so STOP deflecting. It is what it is.

 

I'm quite sure EVERY fan wants their team to win ALWAYS but of course that's not realistic but what they do want is for their team to be in the hunt ESPECIALLY when expectations were set HIGH for the next "great" gm to lead this team as Irsay put it "To the next ERA of greatness with Colt's football." Instead we have a NON contending team with no hc, qb, lt, elite de, explosive wr shall I go on? Oh by the way that SAME gm also has a LOSING record. You're right someone is going to lose or TIE and we did that too with a ONE WIN TEAM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Superman said:

We're a QB and HC away. Just like basically every other team. 

 

There's nothing else preventing this team from being ready/able to contend if we get those two decisions right. 

I think we can add GM to that list. We can't afford to tear down 2 years after we hire a new coach. My opinion of Irsay has tanked, his meddling appears to have tanked this team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I think we can add GM to that list. We can't afford to tear down 2 years after we hire a new coach. My opinion of Irsay has tanked, his meddling appears to have tanked this team.

 

My viewpoint on Ballard (and Irsay) is very cloudy right now.

 

I don't care about all the drama, and I don't think the line-by-line analysis of GM decisions matters. I care about management, vision, strategy, etc. And I think I value Ballard's way of managing, and his vision for a sustained contender. I don't think I agree with his overall strategy, and I'm not confident that he'll adjust his strategies enough to match a more aggressive NFL landscape.

 

As for Irsay, it's very confusing. We have more than two decades of him being a very good owner, one who empowers his football people, who is engaged on big picture decisions but doesn't meddle in the day to day, etc. Despite having a national reputation for being impulsive and impatient, quite the opposite has been true. And for some reason, over the last 12-16 months, he's been more and more involved, and showing less patience. Is that because he didn't like the direction as it related to Wentz and Reich? Did he hold Reich responsible for the QB carousel? Was he just providing a sharp reset before things went too far left, and once he gets a restructured operation he'll back off and go back to how he used to be? Or is it an indication that he's going to continue to undercut his football people moving forward, that leashes will be shorter than they have been in the past, etc.? I can't be sure, and I don't know what to think right now. 

 

I'm never as extreme as general consensus seems to be. I think Reich needed to go, but I don't think he's a terrible coach. I think Ballard has made some mistakes and needs to reinvent himself a little bit, but I don't think he's a bad GM. If Jason Licht could build a SB team, Chris Ballard can also, but he has to make some adjustments just like Licht did.

 

And if I had to bet right now, I'd say Ballard will be back next season.

 

But ultimately, whoever sits in that seat will be judged primarily on how they handle the HC and QB vacancies. Because those spots are what set real contenders apart from everyone else. And you need both. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Superman said:

 

My viewpoint on Ballard (and Irsay) is very cloudy right now.

 

I don't care about all the drama, and I don't think the line-by-line analysis of GM decisions matters. I care about management, vision, strategy, etc. And I think I value Ballard's way of managing, and his vision for a sustained contender. I don't think I agree with his overall strategy, and I'm not confident that he'll adjust his strategies enough to match a more aggressive NFL landscape.

 

As for Irsay, it's very confusing. We have more than two decades of him being a very good owner, one who empowers his football people, who is engaged on big picture decisions but doesn't meddle in the day to day, etc. Despite having a national reputation for being impulsive and impatient, quite the opposite has been true. And for some reason, over the last 12-16 months, he's been more and more involved, and showing less patience. Is that because he didn't like the direction as it related to Wentz and Reich? Did he hold Reich responsible for the QB carousel? Was he just providing a sharp reset before things went too far left, and once he gets a restructured operation he'll back off and go back to how he used to be? Or is it an indication that he's going to continue to undercut his football people moving forward, that leashes will be shorter than they have been in the past, etc.? I can't be sure, and I don't know what to think right now. 

 

I'm never as extreme as general consensus seems to be. I think Reich needed to go, but I don't think he's a terrible coach. I think Ballard has made some mistakes and needs to reinvent himself a little bit, but I don't think he's a bad GM. If Jason Licht could build a SB team, Chris Ballard can also, but he has to make some adjustments just like Licht did.

 

And if I had to bet right now, I'd say Ballard will be back next season.

 

But ultimately, whoever sits in that seat will be judged primarily on how they handle the HC and QB vacancies. Because those spots are what set real contenders apart from everyone else. And you need both. 

I consider myself to be a patient person.  I didn't even get on the fire Reich bandwagon till this season. The QB carousel has been nasty though. I can see how in the moment these QB decisions felt right. Luck retires so you roll with the backup. He's not quite it so you move to Rivers and take a shot. Maybe you give Rivers a second year but Wentz is available and there's a lot of upside. Then he bombs and it time to trot out another aging vet. At some point a consistent QB should be a better choice for the team. The fact Ballard doesn't see that has lead us to this spot. He's supposed to have a vision that spans multiple seasons.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I consider myself to be a patient person.  I didn't even get on the fire Reich bandwagon till this season. The QB carousel has been nasty though. I can see how in the moment these QB decisions felt right. Luck retires so you roll with the backup. He's not quite it so you move to Rivers and take a shot. Maybe you give Rivers a second year but Wentz is available and there's a lot of upside. Then he bombs and it time to trot out another aging vet. At some point a consistent QB should be a better choice for the team. The fact Ballard doesn't see that has lead us to this spot. He's supposed to have a vision that spans multiple seasons.

 

I don't disagree with this. Along the way, it probably wasn't quite as clear, especially in 2021 when people were hoping that Wentz would be around for a while. Still, it's proven to be true.

 

However, if Irsay holds Reich more responsible for the QB decisions, that could be reflected in his decision to fire Reich and keep Ballard. If it was the three of them in the room together in 2020, and Reich banged the table for Rivers when Ballard wanted to focus on finding someone in the draft, and Irsay was the tie-breaking vote to go with Rivers... or if it was the same situation in 2021 when they decided to trade for Wentz... or a similar situation this offseason when they brought in Ryan, while Reich was adamant he could provide the support that a 37 year old pocket passer needs... 

 

If Irsay looks back on the last three years and feels like it was Reich's belief in these QBs, and Irsay's own belief in Reich, that influenced these decisions, then his choice and the rationale behind it starts to make more sense. If Ballard has been saying all along that they need to draft a QB, and it's been Reich and Irsay winning the argument, then maybe Irsay sees Ballard as the right person to redirect the operation.

 

All speculation on my part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I don't disagree with this. Along the way, it probably wasn't quite as clear, especially in 2021 when people were hoping that Wentz would be around for a while. Still, it's proven to be true.

 

However, if Irsay holds Reich more responsible for the QB decisions, that could be reflected in his decision to fire Reich and keep Ballard. If it was the three of them in the room together in 2020, and Reich banged the table for Rivers when Ballard wanted to focus on finding someone in the draft, and Irsay was the tie-breaking vote to go with Rivers... or if it was the same situation in 2021 when they decided to trade for Wentz... or a similar situation this offseason when they brought in Ryan, while Reich was adamant he could provide the support that a 37 year old pocket passer needs... 

 

If Irsay looks back on the last three years and feels like it was Reich's belief in these QBs, and Irsay's own belief in Reich, that influenced these decisions, then his choice and the rationale behind it starts to make more sense. If Ballard has been saying all along that they need to draft a QB, and it's been Reich and Irsay winning the argument, then maybe Irsay sees Ballard as the right person to redirect the operation.

 

All speculation on my part.

You're describing a dysfunctional organization. The GM probably needs the approval of the owner for major decisions in many NFL franchises, but doesn't make such decisions through a committee approach with the owner and head coach. Input from Reich on personnel decisions should come through Ballard to Irsay, not directly to Irsay who then sides with the head coach rather than his GM on personnel decisions that are the GMs responsibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

You're describing a dysfunctional organization. The GM probably needs the approval of the owner for major decisions in many NFL franchises, but doesn't make such decisions through a committee approach with the owner and head coach. Input from Reich on personnel decisions should come through Ballard to Irsay, not directly to Irsay who then sides with the head coach rather than his GM on personnel decisions that are the GMs responsibility.

 

The bolded might be true. None of us knows for sure, but there appears to be dysfunction on the surface. When you fire the HC one year after an extension and install an outsider with no real coaching experience to take over, and he appoints an assistant coach with no play calling experience to call the plays, and you reinstate the previously benched veteran QB who was previously believed to be unavailable for the rest of the season, that's all probably evidence of some dysfunction.

 

But the rest of your post is just your preference. It's not the only right way to run a team, and you don't know that it has any real basis in reality.

 

If you could ask Bill Polian, Chris Polian, Ryan Grigson, Chris Ballard, Lindy Infante, Jim Mora, Tony Dungy, Jim Caldwell, Chuck Pagano, Frank Reich, and even Jeff Saturday, I bet you'd find that the Colts have handled decisions about the franchise QB through a committee approach more often than not over the last 24 years. I bet you'll find that decisions about the starting QB and first round draft picks and big time trades were often made with the owner, HC, and GM all in the room at the same time. I bet Irsay, Grigson, and Pagano all met and discussed the Trent Richardson trade before it happened. And I bet that dynamic exists with other teams around the league, to one extent or another. And there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Superman said:

We're a QB and HC away. Just like basically every other team. 

 

There's nothing else preventing this team from being ready/able to contend if we get those two decisions right. 

sprinkle in a LT and Edge Rusher...ugh.  Altough i do love Kwity, and rainman has potential.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Superman said:

 

The bolded might be true. None of us knows for sure, but there appears to be dysfunction on the surface. When you fire the HC one year after an extension and install an outsider with no real coaching experience to take over, and he appoints an assistant coach with no play calling experience to call the plays, and you reinstate the previously benched veteran QB who was previously believed to be unavailable for the rest of the season, that's all probably evidence of some dysfunction.

 

But the rest of your post is just your preference. It's not the only right way to run a team, and you don't know that it has any real basis in reality.

 

If you could ask Bill Polian, Chris Polian, Ryan Grigson, Chris Ballard, Lindy Infante, Jim Mora, Tony Dungy, Jim Caldwell, Chuck Pagano, Frank Reich, and even Jeff Saturday, I bet you'd find that the Colts have handled decisions about the franchise QB through a committee approach more often than not over the last 24 years. I bet you'll find that decisions about the starting QB and first round draft picks and big time trades were often made with the owner, HC, and GM all in the room at the same time. I bet Irsay, Grigson, and Pagano all met and discussed the Trent Richardson trade before it happened. And I bet that dynamic exists with other teams around the league, to one extent or another. And there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

That’s why Irsay always refers to the head coach, GM, and himself as the “brain trust”.  It’s a group effort.  Dungy gave examples of that when he was here.  He talked about how he had to sell Polian on drafting Freeney and how Polian had to sell him on drafting Sanders.  It’s a give and take where ultimately Irsay does get final say as Owner but most of the time he’s smart enough to defer to the two other guys he’s hired to do a job.  
 

I will say what we have seen since the Jacksonville game last year is Irsay flexing his muscle a little more than he normally does.  What I also find ironic is a lot of the fans screaming for accountability (the new buz word around here) lose their mind when the Owner held the QB accountable for not playing well in two very winnable win and your in games, and held the GM and Coach accountable for the decision to bring the QB here and ultimately fired the coach because he wasn’t performing and scream the Owner is meddling.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Almost certainly. 

 

If we don't draft a franchise QB this off-season, undoubtedly we are years away from contention. 

 

Even if we do draft a franchise QB, reasonable expectations would be that he takes a year or two to develop and we could be serious contenders in a few years time. So again, still years away from contention. 

 

The absolute best case scenario is that we draft a Joe Burrow and he immediately starts to put us over the top. The Bengals went from dumpster fire to Superbowl contenders pretty quick, not entirely thanks to Burrow but certainly in large part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s why Irsay always refers to the head coach, GM, and himself as the “brain trust”.  It’s a group effort.  Dungy gave examples of that when he was here.  He talked about how he had to sell Polian on drafting Freeney and how Polian had to sell him on drafting Sanders.  It’s a give and take where ultimately Irsay does get final say as Owner but most of the time he’s smart enough to defer to the two other guys he’s hired to do a job.  
 

I will say what we have seen since the Jacksonville game last year is Irsay flexing his muscle a little more than he normally does.  What I also find ironic is a lot of the fans screaming for accountability (the new buz word around here) lose their mind when the Owner held the QB accountable for not playing well in two very winnable win and your in games, and held the GM and Coach accountable for the decision to bring the QB here and ultimately fired the coach because he wasn’t performing and scream the Owner is meddling.  

 

Absolutely agree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2022 at 8:26 AM, bluephantom87 said:

 

I think that's a stretch. What's going on with the Colts now IS reason for concern. Ballard came in with a lot of premature media hype as being one of the "best" as a FIRST TIME gm. So the sky was the limit for this team. Now SIX years later this team has NEVER been a SB contender nor even won a division title under Ballard. The team has MAJOR holes at KEY positions and on NATIONALLY televised games this season the Colts have looked awful capped off by being outscored 33-0 in the 4th quarter of the last game. Wow! The Colts have EARNED that narrative as of late so STOP deflecting. It is what it is.

 

I'm quite sure EVERY fan wants their team to win ALWAYS but of course that's not realistic but what they do want is for their team to be in the hunt ESPECIALLY when expectations were set HIGH for the next "great" gm to lead this team as Irsay put it "To the next ERA of greatness with Colt's football." Instead we have a NON contending team with no hc, qb, lt, elite de, explosive wr shall I go on? Oh by the way that SAME gm also has a LOSING record. You're right someone is going to lose or TIE and we did that too with a ONE WIN TEAM.

 

Wow what a great, accurate post!!!

Props to you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s why Irsay always refers to the head coach, GM, and himself as the “brain trust”.  It’s a group effort.  Dungy gave examples of that when he was here.  He talked about how he had to sell Polian on drafting Freeney and how Polian had to sell him on drafting Sanders.  It’s a give and take where ultimately Irsay does get final say as Owner but most of the time he’s smart enough to defer to the two other guys he’s hired to do a job.  
 

I will say what we have seen since the Jacksonville game last year is Irsay flexing his muscle a little more than he normally does.  What I also find ironic is a lot of the fans screaming for accountability (the new buz word around here) lose their mind when the Owner held the QB accountable for not playing well in two very winnable win and your in games, and held the GM and Coach accountable for the decision to bring the QB here and ultimately fired the coach because he wasn’t performing and scream the Owner is meddling.  

 

Yeah but he sure gave the HC and GM far more chances than judging the QB based on a couple of games. 

 

The fact that he harped on the QB again and again made it seem more personal than the rope given to Reich and Ballard, IMO. There was clearly a difference, IMO. It is like they did more to be on his good side than the QB or he needed a scape goat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2022 at 8:26 AM, bluephantom87 said:

 

I think that's a stretch. What's going on with the Colts now IS reason for concern. Ballard came in with a lot of premature media hype as being one of the "best" as a FIRST TIME gm. So the sky was the limit for this team. Now SIX years later this team has NEVER been a SB contender nor even won a division title under Ballard. The team has MAJOR holes at KEY positions and on NATIONALLY televised games this season the Colts have looked awful capped off by being outscored 33-0 in the 4th quarter of the last game. Wow! The Colts have EARNED that narrative as of late so STOP deflecting. It is what it is.

 

I'm quite sure EVERY fan wants their team to win ALWAYS but of course that's not realistic but what they do want is for their team to be in the hunt ESPECIALLY when expectations were set HIGH for the next "great" gm to lead this team as Irsay put it "To the next ERA of greatness with Colt's football." Instead we have a NON contending team with no hc, qb, lt, elite de, explosive wr shall I go on? Oh by the way that SAME gm also has a LOSING record. You're right someone is going to lose or TIE and we did that too with a ONE WIN TEAM.

as long as ballard is in charge we will continue to sink to the bottom. his method of filling the roster is a disaster

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2022 at 7:26 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Sadly but I think a lot of the playing calling is a result of the Olines inability to block and Ryan is toast.  People call for more Woods and Granson but they cannot block. God taukir is almost a liability and  cannot block. This team is a mess.

there is seldom for a qb to step up into because the middle of the line caves in

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2022 at 5:19 PM, Superman said:

However, if Irsay holds Reich more responsible for the QB decisions, that could be reflected in his decision to fire Reich and keep Ballard. If it was the three of them in the room together in 2020, and Reich banged the table for Rivers when Ballard wanted to focus on finding someone in the draft, and Irsay was the tie-breaking vote to go with Rivers... or if it was the same situation in 2021 when they decided to trade for Wentz... or a similar situation this offseason when they brought in Ryan, while Reich was adamant he could provide the support that a 37 year old pocket passer needs... 

Part of looking at this is to understand what alternatives there were at the time, which we don't really know.  In 2021, apparently Stafford was in play...then not...and people here believe that Ballard liked Justin Fields.  So at what point was Wentz the target, and what was the thinking behind the availability of Fields?   I think he was projected to go higher than 12, but when he fell, now people are second guessing the decision more because Fields ended up being in reach.  That may not have been the thinking when you are weighing getting a vet QB or moving up to get a rookie.  The thinking being that Fields was not good enough to pay the price to go up to 8 where they may have thought they had to go.

 

In 2022, supposedly Irsay had the jet warmed up for Jamies Winston (another pocket passer BTW).  How much time was spent looking at Ryan's tape last year and seeing what he had left in terms of arm, mobility, patience, etc.?   From the way it went down, there hardly seemed like much time between when Ryan became available, Irsay shutting down the jet,  and the Colts negotiating with ATL for Ryan. 

 

Seems like the brain trust actually was working with a lot of incomplete information....at least info that turned out to be different than what they thought. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Strong overreaction here, which is fairly typical on teams forums where the team had been successful over a long period of a time, visiting a Patriots forum they acting like headless chickens now.

This team is fun, we need a qb but I hate to break it to you for some teams it takes decades to find a reliable long term answer, regardless who the GM or HC is, It is what it is in the NFL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I like the idea of addressing skill positions in free agency and doubling down on DE/DT if the value is there. Verse and Jenkins being who I like the most. 
    • Ever since that LSU championship team, I kind of have been a fan of the reverse theory - when you have another dominant receiver on your team, it's even more impressive if you manage to stack up such insane production. Chase and Jefferson were amazing together and at the time everybody thought Jefferson is benefiting from Chase, but the reality is... there is only one ball. And if it goes to one player at disproportionately high volume, commanding huge portion of the remaining volume is actually a huge positive. It shows that even if you are not the 1st option on this particular team, you are able to accumulate big numbers and there is possibly some hidden potential to be a no. 1 receiver. Kind of like Jefferson has been able to prove in the league. Kind of like Olave has been able to do, too.    Big production at high level, combined with high level traits is like catnip for me, when we talk about receivers, and the presence of another big time receiver on the team is not really something that will dissuade me from selecting that player. If anything, I feel like there is some unexplored value there. 
    • Walker might be the answer for us in round 2 if we go DE or CB in round 1
    • If he has a good week at the Combine, he'll start getting a lot more top 20 buzz. I agree that he could be the 4th WR this year. As for how much he benefited from playing with Nabers, there's no question that's a boost for him, but it's probably a two way street. And the stat sheet isn't what makes him attractive. I see speed, size, ability to separate, big catch ability, hands, toughness, explosiveness, and a lot of upside as a route runner/technician.    What do you mean by the bolded? He played all three years at LSU, and never played against Michigan State. What's the connection there?   Everyone will have their own ideas and opinions. It's not hard for me to see him as a good option at #15, but it's my opinion that we're not drafting a WR in the first round anyway.
    • Brian Thomas to me is a boom or bust kind of pick. Will he be LSU Brian, or Michigan St. Brian. The biggest thing I question about him is if was really that dominant this past year, or if he flourished because most of the attention was on Nabers. Saying that, a good showing this week and he will probably be solidified as WR4 on many boards. Personally, I wouldn't be happy if we took him at 15. There's gonna be better available talent. 
  • Members

    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 20,512

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • krunk

      krunk 8,165

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CheezyColt

      CheezyColt 880

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • KB

      KB 998

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JediXMan

      JediXMan 4,516

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CoachLite

      CoachLite 1,151

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NorthernColt

      NorthernColt 617

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtStrong2013

      ColtStrong2013 2,913

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • davidshoff

      davidshoff 1

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TheEdgeis1

      TheEdgeis1 74

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...