Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we YEARS away from contention?

bluephantom87

Chris Ballard needs to be fired immediately after the regular season comes to an end. I would love to see Jim Irsay offer the GM job to Ed Dodds because it allows you to keep a guy who has been on your staff and the Assistant GM for Chris Ballard and a part of the Colts front office since 2017. Dodds is highly beloved and respected around the league and the transition from Ballard to Dodds would be an easy transition for the entire organization. Then you have Irsay/Dodds go through the interview and hiring process of finding their next head coach and coaching staff before moving forward with the roster. I have nothing but faith in Ed Dodds and whoever he chooses for his coaching staff to be able to make the right decisions that will improve the roster while bringing in the right players and talent to take this team back to the playoffs and top of the AFC South.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Chris Ballard needs to be fired immediately after the regular season comes to an end. I would love to see Jim Irsay offer the GM job to Ed Dodds because it allows you to keep a guy who has been on your staff and the Assistant GM for Chris Ballard and a part of the Colts front office since 2017. Dodds is highly beloved and respected around the league and the transition from Ballard to Dodds would be an easy transition for the entire organization. Then you have Irsay/Dodds go through the interview and hiring process of finding their next head coach and coaching staff before moving forward with the roster. I have nothing but faith in Ed Dodds and whoever he chooses for his coaching staff to be able to make the right decisions that will improve the roster while bringing in the right players and talent to take this team back to the playoffs and top of the AFC South.

Dodds would be an easier transition but he has interviewed with many teams over the last few years and has come away empty.  We shall see.

14 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

At the very least we saw how Ballard has BUILT this flawed offense. His philosophy has been exposed over time as a model of yesteryear. His record reflects that also. I still see our receivers / tight ends as big possession types that LACK burst, wiggle and EXPLOSION necessary in today's PASSING league. 

The slow methodical run game that usually ends in fgs for this team (unless JT breaks one) is hard to ascend to SB contention unless you have a HISTORICALLY great defense. I believe because we are a RUN first team the LT and in a way the qb position are less of a PRIORITY for Ballard. More like serviceable parts instead of being the MAIN parts to go along with some NEEDED dynamic wrs. The Colts offense is not capable of scoring quickly if necessary because they lack the personnel to do so. See Vikes...

I hope to see in the offseason a new gm with a more modern and aggressive approach. I would like to see a young offensive minded hc only if Harbaugh or Payton are not viable options. Gus is ok as dc. (would like to see a more qb pressure at times) Qbs nowadays are hard to stop especially if given time to just sit comfortably in the pocket. I do think Bubba and Reggie are keepers at their positions on staff. 

I agree with most of this but Pat Mahomes loves being blitzed. Lots of modern qbs beat blitzes.  It's why a great front 4 cannot be over prioritized

1 hour ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I agree with most of this but Pat Mahomes loves being blitzed. Lots of modern qbs beat blitzes.  It's why a great front 4 cannot be over prioritized

This has been true for a long time.  Manning was the same way.  Most great QBs are because when you blitz you actually make their job easier because you take a guy out of coverage.  So if they identify the blitz, which most great QBs can, they go oh I have single coverage I am going there before they even snap the ball.  Like you said you have to get to the QB with your front four or good QBs will just carve you up all day.  

On 12/5/2022 at 11:48 AM, coming on strong said:

One off-season could change everything. I just think the colts lost faith in the process this year .  5th Qb in 5 years and it wears on the team .  3 spots left tackle Qb and right guard could change the team .  

if you take Mahomes off the chiefs Allen off the bills they are average teams . It’s a Qb league we saw this with manning getting hurt . If we can find our franchise Qb everything changes . 

On 12/5/2022 at 11:52 AM, #12. said:

This is how I look at it.  Where would this team be had Luck not retired?  What would this team have done the past 5 years with Luck?  They would have been an AFC contender every year.  Even with the O-line deficiencies this season, they would still probably a playoff team.  Luck certainly won with worse teams.

If you have a high level QB, Ballard's rosters are good enough to win.  If that's the case, why would I want to fire Ballard and risk bringing in another Grigson?  You could do a lot worse than Ballard.  I would rather take my chances with Ballard's roster, a new QB and a new head coach.  If they can get the QB and a few pieces, they could be back at it in relatively short order.

Well put by the both of you.  It is a QB league. IS it everything, no , but the percentages are very high on how important that is. I think things can turn around  quicker in Football vs other sports. A lot of proof out there to back that up. AL carried this team his first few years here. They were not good. He was mostly responsible for them winning and keeping Wood Chopping Chuck around. I hate to keep pointing back to his tenure here, but with that guy, like it was mentioned above, "They would have been an AFC contender every year".  He would be still well in his prime now. But things have changed obviously. We cant fall back on that anymore. I am guilty of it for sure. But its the truth. It hurt this team from top to bottom. But by saying that ,there are other teams that have stepped forward and moved up in the ranks since he has been gone with other QB's, where Indy has not, except with Rivers. That's on the organization personnel decisions. Whose faults that?!?

I am on the fence with Ballard. I wonder if he wants to be around given the situation with Irsay bringing Jeff in. Saturday is not here to be along term coach. He came in more as an evaluator. I say give Ballard another year with a new head coach, and hopefully strong QB and a revamped line, see what happens. If there is improvement and things look bright, keep him. If not cut him loose. He has had plenty of time.

:grumpy2:
Nothing can make me forget about what happened to our colts against the Vikings.

Because of ESPN and sports historians, this incredible comeback, or incredible meltdown, will quickly be remembered years from now with a quick question to Siri.

I can’t wear my Colts shirts, Caps, and put my  flags up right now for fear of being ridiculed. I am just being honest.

No one has ridiculed me…accept my son who is a Steelers fan and my other son who is a Cowboys fan! Buttheads!

I know I will get over it with a SUPER BOWL VICTORY !…Hint, Hint!

I’m just being honest.

Versed, Propofol and even booze can’t erase that game from my mind…thanks a lot Siri !

Guys, just finish off your employment for this season. It’s just a job and you have earned every penny(ies).

Only serious applicants wanted for

next season.

Ooh, poo! We have 3 mores games to play:grumpy2:

I have been MIA for a few weeks now as my work has been crazy the last 3 weeks or so, so apologies if I am posting something that has already been discussed / thrown around, I haven't been able to catch up on the threads while I have been away.

But what a wasted opportunity this year has turned out to be, and what a disaster moving forward it could become. The Titans are currently topping the division at 7 - 7, and we are floundering in 3rd place at 4 - 9 - 1.... If this team even performed to half of what the expectation was, we would be walking away with this division - especially if you take a win away from the JAgs and Titans (assuming we split with the Titans even if performing better). Instead, we are looking at this absolute clown show of a dumpter fire, careening down a hill towards satan's undercarriage.

It has been so bad that I am worried that all our key players are just checked out now and want out of town. We need to reset this roster at the key positions (QB, OL and Edge needs sorting especially), but if we lose Leonard, Buckner etc. then it would be like a full on rebuild from nothing. 

It's so frustrating to see this team be so close, yet so insanely far away.

14 hours ago, Mighty Blue said:

Nothing can make me forget about what happened to our colts against the Vikings.

Because of ESPN and sports historians, this incredible comeback, or incredible meltdown, will quickly be remembered years from now with a quick question to Siri.

I can’t wear my Colts shirts, Caps, and put my  flags up right now for fear of being ridiculed. I am just being honest.

No one has ridiculed me…accept my son who is a Steelers fan and my other son who is a Cowboys fan! Buttheads!

I’m just being honest.

Versed, Propofol and even booze can’t erase that game from my mind…thanks a lot Siri !

Guys, just finish off your employment for this season. It’s just a job and you have earned every penny(ies).

next season.

I  can relate. Lived in Miami most of my life with the rest of the family Dolphins fans. The drought of a playoff win between '71 and '95 was really tough. But l got through and so will you. Hang in there.

The players mentioned are under contract - and - as such - we wouldn't be losing the core players.

The front office - the coaching staff - AND - the players realize we have too talented a roster for the record that they have.

Time will tell.

I believe in Chris Ballard and his ability to "right the ship" - on the coaching staff - AND - with the roster.

What makes this season is so frustrating is that the Afc south is so bad that the Colts should have won this division rather easily. 8-9 will win it. Nfc south is the same thing. If the Colts played in any other division it would not hurt as much. Tennessee might win 1 more game and some of the games they won they really should have lost. The raiders and at least 1 of the Colts games. Same with the jaguars, raiders, ravens nd cowboys should have beaten them.  Now look at the Colts wins  losses and tie. I admit the Colts were lucky to beat the Broncos and chiefs. But look at the games they should or could have won. Houston, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tennessee x 2.   Would the Colts win the super bowl this year with a few more wins, NO.  Buffalo, k.c. and the Bengals are much better, but at home the Colts could beat any other afc team as the #4 seed.  I rather make the playoffs and win 1 or be 1 and done then not make it. 

20 hours ago, Mighty Blue said:

I’m just being honest.

next season.

7 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I have been MIA for a few weeks now as my work has been crazy the last 3 weeks or so, so apologies if I am posting something that has already been discussed / thrown around, I haven't been able to catch up on the threads while I have been away.

But what a wasted opportunity this year has turned out to be, and what a disaster moving forward it could become. The Titans are currently topping the division at 7 - 7, and we are floundering in 3rd place at 4 - 9 - 1.... If this team even performed to half of what the expectation was, we would be walking away with this division - especially if you take a win away from the JAgs and Titans (assuming we split with the Titans even if performing better). Instead, we are looking at this absolute clown show of a dumpter fire, careening down a hill towards satan's undercarriage.

It has been so bad that I am worried that all our key players are just checked out now and want out of town. We need to reset this roster at the key positions (QB, OL and Edge needs sorting especially), but if we lose Leonard, Buckner etc. then it would be like a full on rebuild from nothing. 

It's so frustrating to see this team be so close, yet so insanely far away.

21 minutes ago, coltsorioles said:

What makes this season is so frustrating is that the Afc south is so bad that the Colts should have won this division rather easily. 8-9 will win it. Nfc south is the same thing. If the Colts played in any other division it would not hurt as much. Tennessee might win 1 more game and some of the games they won they really should have lost. The raiders and at least 1 of the Colts games. Same with the jaguars, raiders, ravens nd cowboys should have beaten them.  Now look at the Colts wins  losses and tie. I admit the Colts were lucky to beat the Broncos and chiefs. But look at the games they should or could have won. Houston, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tennessee x 2.   Would the Colts win the super bowl this year with a few more wins, NO.  Buffalo, k.c. and the Bengals are much better, but at home the Colts could beat any other afc team as the #4 seed.  I rather make the playoffs and win 1 or be 1 and done then not make it. 

Just merged a lot of this.

12 hours ago, sb41champs said:

The players mentioned are under contract - and - as such - we wouldn't be losing the core players.

The front office - the coaching staff - AND - the players realize we have too talented a roster for the record that they have.

Time will tell.

I believe in Chris Ballard and his ability to "right the ship" - on the coaching staff - AND - with the roster.

You'll be following Chris Ballard to another team if that's the case. His chance of remaining the GM after the season is slim to none.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You'll be following Chris Ballard to another team if that's the case. His chance of remaining the GM after the season is slim to none.

Personally I don't think Ballard will be fired at seasons end. Especially after the NFL put the memo out about 800 million being paid out to ex GMs and coaches to play golf. :spit:

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Ballard will be back and be given the opportunity to fix the quarterback situation his way.  This draft gives him the chance to do it.  Other than how the quarterback position has turned out I believe Irsay is very happy with the rest of the roster for the most part.  No roster is perfect and he knows that.  Ballard has brought in some very good players.  Just needs to get a quarterback.

Archived