Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we YEARS away from contention?

bluephantom87

I don't care WHO the Colts draft at qb IF they even draft one but this team has MANY issues moving forward!!!! For those who like Saturday he's the SECOND hc THIS SEASON to have a 3 game LOSING streak! The Cowboys pressured the Colts over 30% of the time and had TEN (I say again TEN) players credited with at least ONE qb pressure (let that sink in) not what you want to see from the HIGHEST paid o-line in the league. Q is NOT the same since the back surgeries. I don't even see the fire. Is it the money or more of the REALITY that HE knows the DOMINANT days are over due to his back?Can even a "special" rookie qb or ANOTHER aged vet come in and THRIVE under those conditions?

The Colts can't stretch the field  CONSISTENTLY in the PASSING game. You can put some of that on the CLEARLY washed Matt whose no zip passes are easy pickings outside 15yds but remember Wentz had a arm and the questions were about the RECEIVERS not getting SEPERATION. Talent? I say this team LACKS EXPLOSIVE receivers. More like big possession types with no wiggle to CREATE space but ones who can shield with jump ball type catches. I think the totality of injuries have robbed PC of some burst too because I don't see him getting BEHIND defenders or doing damage in open space. Scheme? Can a young gun qb come in slinging the ball into TIGHT windows on a want to be smash mouth type of team?

The WHOLE offenSIVE scheme needs to change. So TIRED of the first down run up the gut!!! (over 70% last night) It's too easy for opposing defenses to contain. We don't even TRY to attack with an ATTEMPTED pass downfield or endzone shot with a short field after the defense gets a turnover. That was a Manning and EARLY Luck staple! Instead its turn and HOPE JT can get through a cluster of bodies. Speaking of our BASIC running game teams like the Niners, Eagles and Cowboys SCHEME runnings lanes to put talented rbs in positions to SUCCEED with motion, off tackle runs, misdirection and sweeps from MULTIPLE formations INSTEAD of simply lining up mostly in TIGHT formations trying to play SMASHMOUTH with no lead blocker. :facepalm: 

The Colts were OUTSCORED 33-0 in the 4th quarter!!! That hasn't happened since the 1925 Chicago Cardinals did that to the Milwaukee Badgers. Geez!! Our defense STILL lacks a CONSISTENT pass rush. We are a solid defense but NOT a dominant or attacking one.

The Colts are on the VERGE of becoming a team that most top tier coaches will stay AWAY from IF other options are available. The Colts can sell HOPE however they want to but in REALITY this team has a LONG way to go in order to CONTEND for anything. Don't get me wrong a young dynamic qb is a NECESSARY starting point just ask the Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Dolphins, Chargers and Bengals who have ALL ascended in the AFC while Ballard played musical chairs with the position. The narrative that's been carried that the Colts are a qb away is just a whisper in the dark.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we're as bad as it seems, at this point, but we're always an off season away from getting closer to, or further from, contention. 

The decisions made every off season determine the future, and some seem good at the moment, go sour in reality, and visa versa.

Everything now is fixable in short order, but it starts with the OL, THEN the QB. I'd go FA for the OL, and draft the QB unless someone like Love becomes available, but that ain't happening.

One off-season could change everything. I just think the colts lost faith in the process this year .  5th Qb in 5 years and it wears on the team .  3 spots left tackle Qb and right guard could change the team .  

if you take Mahomes off the chiefs Allen off the bills they are average teams . It’s a Qb league we saw this with manning getting hurt . If we can find our franchise Qb everything changes . 

20 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I don't care WHO the Colts draft at qb IF they even draft one but this team has MANY issues moving forward!!!! For those who like Saturday he's the SECOND hc THIS SEASON to have a 3 game LOSING streak! The Cowboys pressured the Colts over 30% of the time and had TEN (I say again TEN) players credited with at least ONE qb pressure (let that sink in) not what you want to see from the HIGHEST paid o-line in the league. Q is NOT the same since the back surgeries. I don't even see the fire. Is it the money or more of the REALITY that HE knows the DOMINANT days are over due to his back?Can even a "special" rookie qb or ANOTHER aged vet come in and THRIVE under those conditions?

The Colts can't stretch the field  CONSISTENTLY in the PASSING game. You can put some of that on the CLEARLY washed Matt whose no zip passes are easy pickings outside 15yds but remember Wentz had a arm and the questions were about the RECEIVERS not getting SEPERATION. Talent? I say this team LACKS EXPLOSIVE receivers. More like big possession types with no wiggle to CREATE space but ones who can shield with jump ball type catches. I think the totality of injuries have robbed PC of some burst too because I don't see him getting BEHIND defenders or doing damage in open space. Scheme? Can a young gun qb come in slinging the ball into TIGHT windows on a want to be smash mouth type of team?

The WHOLE offenSIVE scheme needs to change. So TIRED of the first down run up the gut!!! (over 70% last night) It's too easy for opposing defenses to contain. We don't even TRY to attack with an ATTEMPTED pass downfield or endzone shot with a short field after the defense gets a turnover. That was a Manning and EARLY Luck staple! Instead its turn and HOPE JT can get through a cluster of bodies. Speaking of our BASIC running game teams like the Niners, Eagles and Cowboys SCHEME runnings lanes to put talented rbs in positions to SUCCEED with motion, off tackle runs, misdirection and sweeps from MULTIPLE formations INSTEAD of simply lining up mostly in TIGHT formations trying to play SMASHMOUTH with no lead blocker. :facepalm: 

The Colts were OUTSCORED 33-0 in the 4th quarter!!! That hasn't happened since the 1925 Chicago Cardinals did that to the Milwaukee Badgers. Geez!! Our defense STILL lacks a CONSISTENT pass rush. We are a solid defense but NOT a dominant or attacking one.

The Colts are on the VERGE of becoming a team that most top tier coaches will stay AWAY from IF other options are available. The Colts can sell HOPE however they want to but in REALITY this team has a LONG way to go in order to CONTEND for anything. Don't get me wrong a young dynamic qb is a NECESSARY starting point just ask the Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Dolphins, Chargers and Bengals who have ALL ascended in the AFC while Ballard played musical chairs with the position. The narrative that's been carried that the Colts are a qb away is just a whisper in the dark.

Long post.  

Here as a short answer 

Yes.

This is how I look at it.  Where would this team be had Luck not retired?  What would this team have done the past 5 years with Luck?  They would have been an AFC contender every year.  Even with the O-line deficiencies this season, they would still probably a playoff team.  Luck certainly won with worse teams.

If you have a high level QB, Ballard's rosters are good enough to win.  If that's the case, why would I want to fire Ballard and risk bringing in another Grigson?  You could do a lot worse than Ballard.  I would rather take my chances with Ballard's roster, a new QB and a new head coach.  If they can get the QB and a few pieces, they could be back at it in relatively short order.

No. This season being what it is brings alot of views of doom and gloom. If we make thr right moves this off-season it will be a quick turnaround to being a playoff team. Superbowl contender is a whole different story.

What could make this take awhile is by the time we are true contenders most of the talent we have will be gone to other teams or on the downside of their career.

I like some of what Ballard has done, but this is a really tough league to win a championship. You have to take risks. You have to swing for the home run and risk a strike out.

Ballard is too risk averse and for that reason, I feel the best the Colts will be under Ballard is a team hoping for a shot at the playoffs. Never a shot at the championship, because you have to take risks to get there. He doesn't have it in him to take the necessary calculated risks.

So to answer the question. If Ballard is the GM, it could be until he is finally fired (as long as that takes) and someone else is hired who is willing to take the risks needed. The clock for the rebuild will start then.

We’re going to overanalyze this to death, but yes… it will be awhile. 

We need: a QB, LT, WR, CB, C, RG, EDGE… On top of a new coaching staff… 

Andrew Luck turning the team around overnight is not the norm and rarely happens. Even Manning’s first season was rough (3-13).

We have to retool the talent, and then have patience yet again as the team learns and grows from its early stages. Will we be able to be patient yet again? 

36 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I believe we have a very talented roster and a solid D. I agree that the offense is due for a rehall. I think if we had kept Reed and Glo and let Q walk we could have signed a LT and been a way more solid oline. But we need a new OC/HC and OL coach to get the ground game and pass blocking back up and going.

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I believe we have a very talented roster and a solid D. I agree that the offense is due for a rehall. I think if we had kept Reed and Glo and let Q walk we could have signed a LT and been a way more solid oline. But we need a new OC/HC and OL coach to get the ground game and pass blocking back up and going.

I think we could be right back in contention next season with the right moves. Trade Nelson and Leonard for cap space/vet players. Get a vet LT and QB like Cooper Rush. Get Kellen Moore as a HC and draft a QB. And find Oline depth and coach...

We’ve been competitive and able to win every game this season. The Dallas game looks worse than what it was with all the 4th quarter turnovers. Otherwise we kept that game within one score for 95% or so of it. Cleaning up fumbles, interceptions (yes I criticize Ryan too), missed tackles and creating one or two more turnovers a game, and this team can run with anyone. We just keep shooting ourselves in the foot over and over and over again. 

No team is ever as far away from contention as it might seem. Every team has flaws. Things change quickly.

A recent example of how things can change for a team quickly are the Bengals. I don't want to discount other guys on their team but they turned it around primarily with 2 draft picks: Joe Burrow and Ja'marr Chase.

Yes some good fortune is needed sometimes but 2 home run moves and the outlook of this Colts team is totally different. It's really about who your top 4-5 players are and whether you have any at premium positions and not so much about the rest. Instead of the 80/20 rule it's more like the 90/10 rule in the NFL where 10% of your players determine 90% of your results.

9 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

No team is ever as far away from contention as it might seem. Every team has flaws. Things change quickly.

A recent example of how things can change for a team quickly are the Bengals. I don't want to discount other guys on their team but they turned it around primarily with 2 draft picks: Joe Burrow and Ja'marr Chase.

Yes some good fortune is needed sometimes but 2 home run moves and the outlook of this Colts team is totally different. It's really about who your top 4-5 players are and whether you have any at premium positions and not so much about the rest. Instead of the 80/20 rule it's more like the 90/10 rule in the NFL where 10% of your players determine 90% of your results.

Heck, if we could add Shaq Leonard next year, it could have a very positive impact.

Look at the Bengals, and the pieces they added in FA on OL and D over the past 2 years. 

2-14 in 2019

4-11-1 in 2020 with Burrow going on IR

10-7, Went to SB in 2021

Strong candidate for AFC playoffs again this year

You need a GM who takes advantage of the rookie contract to support the rookie QB and put the right pieces around him to be a serious SB contender.

I don't agree with the this topic at all. Some recent history. The Rams had 9 consecutive losing seasons from 1990-1998 then put a grocery bagger in at qb in 1999 and won the Super Bowl(remarkable wasn't it). But wait, it gets better. From 2009-2016 they had 10 consecutive losing seasons then went to the super bowl in the 2018 season with Jarrad Goff at qb(I laugh hysterically every time I think about that)! The Steelers missed the playoffs four times from 1998-2003, put a rookie in at qb in 2004 went 15-1 then won the Super Bowl in 2005. San Francisco had 8 consecutive losing seasons from 2003-2010, then hired Jim Harbaugh in 2011, didn't have a qb but still went to the super bowl in 2012. So with all these examples of fast turnarounds of teams who were absolutely dreadful, how can the Colts be so far away from contention when we are only 4 games under .500 since 2017 and 2 of those seasons Brissett was the quarterback????????? If Kronke, Rooney, and DeBartolo can have quick, impressive turn arounds, why can't Irsay? After all this team is a lot more solid than any of those examples I presented here.

Id like to say anything can happen, but if you really dissect it we are poor in the most important positions. 

- We need a QB, some teams spend 5-10 years looking for one, we are not immune to this possibility.

- We need a LT, we can hope on Raimann but he is a raw 3rd rounder.

- We need more weapons, the best teams in the league have at least one very explosive wide out. Pitt just doesn't seem to be on the same level as the Jeffersons, Chase's, Diggs, Kelces, Aj Browns of the world. 

- We also have some ridiculous contracts tied up in the Oline in all the positions not named LT, which is conventionally the highest paid. These players are playing poorly on top of that creating some major salary cap problems. 

- We are better in pass rush, but despite adding Yannick and Paye getting better, we are still very mid in terms of pass rush. We need better. Yannick is a one year rental also, no guarantee he will be back.

- We probably need a slot corner to replace Kenny and Gilmore isn't getting any younger.

17 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

A recent example of how things can change for a team quickly are the Bengals

They added a top prospect qb that was coming off one of the best college seasons ever.  If we could add a JB then we might be able to do the same 

If we get someone like Levis or Mckee we have a ways to go 

QB, LT, WR (or TE), EDGE, One Back Seven player.

A team must be very good in all 5 of those spots.  A team must have one of those players on offense and defense (two players) be elite in order to be a "playoff" team.

So how close are we to that structure, and can you find those players in anything other than the first round....or the top 15.

How many years of first round picks...or top 15 picks.... are we looking at?

Maybe there is a shorter way.  Maybe we have a head start with some of those players already on the roster.  IDK.   

Should our current GM be the one building it.  How many of those 5 spots has he gotten us in the 6 years he's been GM?

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

They added a top prospect qb that was coming off one of the best college seasons ever.  If we could add a JB then we might be able to do the same 

If we get someone like Levis or Mckee we have a ways to go 

In the Bengals case sure Burrow was a top prospect but look at other teams that turned things around.

The Chiefs traded up for Mahomes to take him like 10. The Bills traded up twice to select Josh Allen. A home run isn't always the #1 prospect or a no brainer pick.

My point is simply that a single move can move the needle a considerable amount. 

Levis and Mckee are not no brainer Joe Burrow types of picks but we don't know how much further they would move the needle towards contention. They could turn out great and move it a lot or they could be just ok and not make a big difference. 

Some of you on here act like you can only build a team with first round draft picks. What round was Travis Kelce drafted in? George Kittle? Marcus Pollard? Robert Mathis? Antonio Brown? There are 100's and 100's of great, quality impact players drafted round 4 or later every year, and Ballard is actually pretty good at finding some of them(better than Grigson or Polian for that matter).

2 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

Levis and Mckee are not no brainer Joe Burrow types of picks but we don't know how much further they would move the needle towards contention

They could be developed into good players, I see potential but not great players today.  It will probably take time like it did with Mahomes and Allen and the question here is are we years away from contention

If we get them we probably would be 

11 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Id like to say anything can happen, but if you really dissect it we are poor in the most important positions. 

- We need a QB, some teams spend 5-10 years looking for one, we are not immune to this possibility.

- We need a LT, we can hope on Raimann but he is a raw 3rd rounder.

- We need more weapons, the best teams in the league have at least one very explosive wide out. Pitt just doesn't seem to be on the same level as the Jeffersons, Chase's, Diggs, Kelces, Aj Browns of the world. 

- We also have some ridiculous contracts tied up in the Oline in all the positions not named LT, which is conventionally the highest paid. These players are playing poorly on top of that creating some major salary cap problems. 

- We are better in pass rush, but despite adding Yannick and Paye getting better, we are still very mid in terms of pass rush. We need better. Yannick is a one year rental also, no guarantee he will be back.

- We probably need a slot corner to replace Kenny and Gilmore isn't getting any younger.

The Oline situation is handicapping us for sure. I said signing Nelson was a mistake and got laughed at. But honestly G is the least important position on OFF and the easiest to fill. If we kept Reed and Glowinski and let Nelson walk we could have signed a LT and be in a lot better of a situation. IMO Nelson and Leonard are tradeable players to fix our cap and depth issues...Okereke and Franklin hold it down just fine. Get a vet QB and LT and nes HC/OC and this team can be right back in the thick of things...

Until they decide to lay out more towards the cap and buy up some known talent ALONG WITH a good draft, we'll not be contenders. We are an absolutely mediocre team on the best of days. Sure, they can win against quality teams on a very-seldom basis, but until we get that *zing* back with a defensive line that can penetrate, an O-line that can stand their ground, and some WR and RB who can hold on to the ball...we're just going to continue to be a mediocre team. We're one good off-season away from a killer season, but we need some QB hands that can make things happen. Buying worn out QBs off the clearance shelf isn't going to get results. It's time we dropped some serious $$ on a bad *, proven QB. Go out and buy Mahomes (I don't like him, but...) or maybe drop step out of the comfort zone and see if you can get Cousins to play at the Luke. 

Either way...this has nothing to do with coaching. You take a slightly talented team, and it doesn't matter who the coach is--they don't have the depth and the strength to run over another team. Remember in the Manning days when the defense was feared across the league? We had an O-line that would stand up any approach by the D and give Manning time to throw. There we are again--a QB who can get things done. It's time to stir it up. Let's hit the cap and buy the pieces we need.

Enough with the “Vet” quarterbacks, there’s a reason they are let go by former teams. We need young blood either through the draft or someone’s backup that has played well when given the right opportunity. It’s not going to happen overnight but they have to make the right pick and trust the process. 

At this point we should see what we have in Ehlinger, nothing to lose at this point and he hasn’t gotten enough time to be truly evaluated IMO. 

24 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Some of you on here act like you can only build a team with first round draft picks. What round was Travis Kelce drafted in? George Kittle? Marcus Pollard? Robert Mathis? Antonio Brown? There are 100's and 100's of great, quality impact players drafted round 4 or later every year, and Ballard is actually pretty good at finding some of them(better than Grigson or Polian for that matter).

40 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Who would you describe as an Antonio Brown level playmaker that Ballard has drafted in the fourth round or later in his six years as the Colts GM?

40 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

They could be developed into good players, I see potential but not great players today.  It will probably take time like it did with Mahomes and Allen and the question here is are we years away from contention

If we get them we probably would be 

They might not be great and that would likely be the wise bet but that is often said about a lot of QBs in the draft who turn out great. 

Mahomes sat for 1 year and then lit it up his first year starting.

Allen started right away. I think they made the playoffs by his second year?

Anyways, I read the post to mean years as in 3-5 and that the team has so many moves to make. I don't see it that way. If that's an incorrect interpretation then that's my bad. 

Lastly, i'll stand by this: reaching contention status is unlikely to be fixing most of the holes on this team. It's likely to be from getting 1 or 2 big moves right. That can be done in a short window. That doesn't mean those moves are obvious though.

I for one don't think Nelson should be traded. He’s had a bad year, but he just needs the coaching! Needs to learn how to read blitzes and be better at gap discipline, not just pancaking people! I think (Matt-Ryan-Kelly)is making Nelson worse! A QB that can make the right reads and adjustments at the los before the play is the biggest issue! I have no idea who Colts will go after at QB, but it will be a struggle if they trade for someone other than a Josh Allen/Mahomes/Herbert/LJackson. Im not too high on many college qbs this year!

As far as Shaq, Colts need to trade and get whatever they can outa him, which I dont think would be much! A 3rd/4th rounder would suffice! His injuries are too much a concern and the fact that his love of football may be gone, I think he may retire after this year! He’s turned into former Pacer TJ Warren! More of a cheerleader nowadays than a player!

Once a new GM/Coach/QB are in place, it should only be a couple years to become contenders again! Whether it is Sean Payton or Harbaugh, this team needs a smart X’s and O’s offensive minded coach! Im ok with Bradleys defense, but we may need to replace a lot of these defensive players soon! Gilmore will want to be on a different contending team, Kenny Moore hopefully will be gone, Buckner and Stewart are good, but can disappear at times. Yannick get lucky occasionally with a sack. Kwitty is ok, Okereke cant tackle, and team is still very bad at qb pressures! That needs to be fixed asap!

1 hour ago, #12. said:

This is how I look at it.  Where would this team be had Luck not retired?  What would this team have done the past 5 years with Luck?  They would have been an AFC contender every year.  Even with the O-line deficiencies this season, they would still probably a playoff team.  Luck certainly won with worse teams.

If you have a high level QB, Ballard's rosters are good enough to win.  If that's the case, why would I want to fire Ballard and risk bringing in another Grigson?  You could do a lot worse than Ballard.  I would rather take my chances with Ballard's roster, a new QB and a new head coach.  If they can get the QB and a few pieces, they could be back at it in relatively short order.

NONE of those teams I mentioned had a Luck to START with. ALL went out and DRAFTED a young qb. I gave Ballard a pass initially with Brissett because Luck walking away caught EVERYONE off guard but it's been YEARS now and INSTEAD of DRAFTING a franchise type qb he's played musical chairs with subpar ones at the MOST important position in football. Ballard had the SAME option to move up in the draft like other gms did instead of CONSTANTLY trading down to build a MEDIOCRE team OVERALL. 

People OUTSIDE this organization point out that the Colts lack at KEY positions necessary to CHALLENGE in this league. QB, LT, DE, and WR.

That is Ballard's doing after SIX LONG YEARS!!!!! I would hire a new EXPERIENCED gm in a heartbeat! You can't do any worse. We are VOID at those positions, have no division titles to show for, have NEVER been a SB threat under Ballard and he sports a LOSING record in his tenure.

A lot of that is based on HOW he BUILT this team period. As a matter fact of Ballard to a degree IS Grigson! ANOTHER FIRST TIMER who in the end built a flawed team with a mediocre hc that COULDN'T protect it's qb. At least the subpar Grigson can say his regime beat down the PITIFUL south on a regular and made it one game from a SB. Ballard has accomplished WHAT exactly? Oh he's been PREMATURELY labeled as one of the best...

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Look at the Bengals, and the pieces they added in FA on OL and D over the past 2 years. 

2-14 in 2019

4-11-1 in 2020 with Burrow going on IR

10-7, Went to SB in 2021

Strong candidate for AFC playoffs again this year

You need a GM who takes advantage of the rookie contract to support the rookie QB and put the right pieces around him to be a serious SB contender.

I will defend Ballard on one thing . When he took over colts were bare the defense had no talent the whole team was filled with old veterans .   He had to build from the draft to get a base first .   I just wonder what the teams record would have been with luck .  In 2019 2020 and 2021 we are probably going 12-4. .   Last year we missed the playoffs by one game with average Qb play .  

with luck with Taylor Pittman and pierce I think it would be a good team . I honestly think Matt makes the line look worse . The are struggling but with a quick release Qb I don’t think it’s a major problem. 

Could be 10+ Years.   Drafting a QB usually is not as easy as we had it with Manning and Luck.   Say it is a 50/50 crap shoot.  You draft a QB and it doesn't work out.  That is a wasted 2-3 years before you draft another hoping to hit.  If you only get to around the 6-10 range in the draft, you could do the same several times before hitting.  We have seen many teams do that.

Yes, 3 years at the earliest.

Colts need the following:

1. New GM - Ballard has to go.  You cannot get the guy to fix the problem that he created.  His Oline picks have been horrid.  It will be a challenge to get a new GM, perhaps someone younger from the KC or Patriots scouting dept willing to work with Irsay.  The Oline has to be fixed as a top priority and you will need a new GM to do it.
  2. New HC - I think Saturday should stay and I hope he does.  But if he doesn't, I would take a look at Kellen Moore or Steichen the OC of the Eagles.  If your drafting a new QB, look at the work Steichen has done with Jalen Hurts.  He has turned Hurts a marginal QB into a pro bowler.
  3. New OC - I think we are still using Frank's system.  Do we scrap it and bring in a new OC with their new system ? If so, this could be a drastic change, but one we need to make as we dump Franks system for something more modern.  Take a look at someone from Shanahan's staff in SF.  Mike McDaniels who came from Shanny's staff has done a good job with Tua and the Dolphins.  The HC should choose his OC.
  4. New QB - We have to hit on the right QB but most importantly we have to fix our OLine so our new QB doesn't take a beating and become the next David Carr.

All of these steps have to happen and if any are missed there will be a resetting of the clock so to speak.

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

If the colts get a new interim this week we could have 3 HC's with a 3 game losing streak this season.:funny:

But yeah, it could take years and years for the colts to be serious, consistent contenders.. In between Bert Jones and Peyton Manning this organization suffered for like 2 Decades with just a mediocre/above .500 season here and there. 

Our history and the Irsay ownership(s) suggest dark days ahead are certainly possible. 

But teams turn it around quickly all the time, usually with a elite QB and a good HC and GM so its certainly possible. That's why its so important to get the best draft pick possible and this off-season is important for the right hires. 

Archived