Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Game #8: Commanders @ Colts, Oct 30, 2022, 4:25 PM ET

NFLfan

Campbell back to getting 3 targets & 3 total touches…  he was averaging about 23 yards per touch and got us a huge PI that got us down to the goal line.  Why not more targets & touches?  I thought we cleared that hurdle of not using him in the last 2 weeks?  But of course we let the guy we passed on for Campbell (McLaurin) come in here and rip us up…  

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Sam was terrible. 

No touchdowns and 200 yards passing

For a first game I'd say he did pretty good.  Finally signs of life for the first time since Rivers.  I doubt his ceiling is very high but at least he avoided what would have been like a 6 sack day if Ryan had played.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Sam was terrible. 

No touchdowns and 200 yards passing

Silly. Sam was good, first NFL start and he completed 17/21 81% of his passes. He fumbled and that hurt. But he didn’t lose the game…he gave us a chance but Reich didn’t give him the chance in the end that’s the problem 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Excited for what? We GET to go up to our nightmare spot next week.

Eagles and Dallas. Minnesota. Giants.  Excited for more heartbreak?

I cannot recall when the Vikings last beat the Colts. Everyone thought the Vikings would beat the Colts in 2016 when the Vikings started 6-0. The Colts beat the Vikes in every facet of the game. 

• Like 1

Let's see, you're up 6 with less than a minute to go. You're a corner back who should know to keep the receiver in front of you. What do you do? You step between the receiver and the quarterback to see what is going on in the offensive back field. The receiver gets behind you and catches the ball down inside the one yard line. Your opponent scores a touchdown and you lose! Way to go Gilmore! It is easy to see your "all pro" credentials at work there. People need to be fired!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

All he needed was two first downs and the game is over if the clock runs. Taylor had success earlier and is arguably our best player. 

Fumbles and a terrible performance by the defense cost us the game

you dont think the other team is stacking the box waiting for frank to call a run

Reich has got to go and so does d-coordinator.  Predictable 1st down calls through 3 quarters, finally start letting Sam throw the ball, then you get the ball with 4 minutes and run, run, run, punt.  Ridiculous considering Washington still had all 3 timeouts, and your defense just got slashed the previous possession.  D-coordinator doesn't know the word blitz, maybe he needs a dictionary.  This season is a wash due to bad personnel decisions,  bad coaching, bad play calling.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

Hey look, new QB and still only put up 16 and fumbles & drops in crucial spots.

i would say there is a big difference between a 6th round pick  playing  his first start and a 15 year veteran .   putting up 16 points is more than the average 13 points a game matt did .  only throwing the ball 20 times also and frank being conservative

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I cannot recall when the Vikings last beat the Colts. Everyone thought the Vikings would beat the Colts in 2016 when the Vikings started 6-0. The Colts beat the Vikes in every facet of the game. 

Very true. I'm just saying we still have to play the top 3 teams in the NFC.. but that is true we have owned the Vikings in recent history. Even in 2016 when we had NO business stomping y'all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

i would say there is a big difference between a 6th round pick rookie playing and a 15 year veteran .   putting up 16 points is more than the average 13 points a game matt did .  only throwing the ball 20 times also and frank being conservative

We rushed it 29 times, 6 more than passes. For a QB who never played before this was the right call.

6 minutes ago, rjbalchusa said:

Let's see, you're up 6 with less than a minute to go. You're a corner back who should know to keep the receiver in front of you. What do you do? You step between the receiver and the quarterback to see what is going on in the offensive back field. The receiver gets behind you and catches the ball down inside the one yard line. Your opponent scores a touchdown and you lose! Way to go Gilmore! It is easy to see your "all pro" credentials at work there. People need to be fired!

Even pros commit cardinal sins! We got a team full of them that commit stupid errors!

• Like 1

Fumbles definitely hurt, but the 3rd and 2 inches from endzone was the game. You lone up in shotgun and handoff 7 yrds deep to pick up 2 inches is inexcusable. Then the dreaded soft zone on defense at the end. Washington got away with 2 penalties on the McLaurin catch. A hold and McLaurin removing helmet was the most obvious and huge! Unsportsmanlike 15 yards and could be different story!!

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

its a loser mentality to run the clock out that is what happens when you play to not lose .   do a play action and roll sam out

He did just before that and got nothing *4 yards (edited for accuracy).

Loser mentality or not this is pretty common in the league.

Whine about Frank all you want, there’s enough there for the season. But today, this was all on the fumbles and the defense failing to stop a scrub QB

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

We rushed it 29 times, 6 more than passes. For a QB who never played before this was the right call.

that is why the colts lost .  plain and simple , colts havent ran the ball well all year .  your handicapping your  QB how many drives did sam have a third and long to start because its run run pass .   there is zero time to get in sync and get hot . 

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

that is why the colts lost .  plain and simple , colts havent ran the ball well all year .  your handicapping your  QB how many drives did sam have a third and long to start because its run run pass .   there is zero time to get in sync and get hot . 

We averaged 4.7 yards today. That’s good against this defensive front. 

4 hours ago, coming on strong said:

i would say there is a big difference between a 6th round pick  playing  his first start and a 15 year veteran .   putting up 16 points is more than the average 13 points a game matt did .  only throwing the ball 20 times also and frank being conservative

Whatever makes you feel better about the same results. Let me know when Sam puts up 389 and 3tds 

What's next Colt fans? Retool, and soon we'll have a new HC to work with our future QB.  Sam looked today, just the play calling in the redzone especially when you have  inches from the goal line, should have done a QB sneak at that point, you have a greater percentage of crossing that line.....Aside from the fumbles, we definitely should have come away with a win..

12 hours ago, strt182 said:

Nope this is on FRANK for sure. The Colts overcame everything else.

It's the same story every week, we have our screwups during the game but are still in a position to win it late - we fail to more often than not, and it's often due in large part to bad playcalling, especially on the goal line. We get down there, and Frank just goes into the fetal position and we either settle for 3, or turn the ball over. I nearly get jealous whenever I see other teams put a defensive lineman in at fullback and just pound it in from a yard or 2 out. 

Frank often seems checked out during games, like he knows he's gonna get fired eventually, so why bother? When our passrushers are being held or our receivers interfered with and no flag is thrown, he should be letting the referee hear about it and maybe we'd get a few of those calls later in the drive or the game - at a minimum, it would show the players who are fighting it out on the field that he has their back and is willing to fight for them but when he passively goes on to the next play and lets it all slide unchallenged, I think it takes the fight right outta this team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It was Wentz's backup that beat us.. 

I can live with that (as if I have a choice) but it wasn't Taylor Heinicke who crapped the bed for us under center, costing us a playoff berth and necessitating the need to acquire yet another QB to start this season, that was Carson Wentz.

If, after all that drama and his inability to win against interim HCs in consecutive games, he returned to Lucas Oil Stadium where he lost more than he won last season and beat us, it would've been virtually unbearable!

It probably would've hastened Frank's inevitable firing though, Irsay probably would've felt so personally embarrassed getting beat by the guy who he traded for and then had to trade away that he may have totally cleaned house last night or this morning!