Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Beckham - just do it

I'm sorry I do not see us as SB material with the receivers we have now. Pierce and Woods have potential, but even top-ranked receivers (which neither is) rarely make much of a splash their rookie year. In short we need a guy like Beckham. Speedy, talented, yes some injury concerns but worth the risk IMO. Agree? Why or why not? 

From what little I have read it sounds like he was impressed with us getting Ryan, but it sounds like he wants to return to the Rams.  He's also not likely to play until, what, November or so?  Would love to have him, but I believe we need someone to play much earlier than that to make a real difference.

37 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I'm sorry I do not see us as SB material with the receivers we have now. Pierce and Woods have potential, but even top-ranked receivers (which neither is) rarely make much of a splash their rookie year. In short we need a guy like Beckham. Speedy, talented, yes some injury concerns but worth the risk IMO. Agree? Why or why not? 

This team is being built just like I hoped.  A shut down D and JT running along side a short passing game.    Some of you will not agree with me  but Chris and Frank apparently do.

Its always about the DEFENSE for me 

2 hours ago, jonjon said:

Some Injury concerns? He’s coming off of a terrible injury, we don’t even know if he’ll be ready week one. Why sign a guy you don’t think can play week 1? There is a reason he is still a FA.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

nope... 

#1 we can't afford him. his market value is over our current cap

#2 i would not want to restructure and push money out (creating dead cap next down the road)

If we lose Kenny's salary, then maybe... 

See Ya Goodbye GIF by Nicole Concessao

OBJ is another extremely talented player that had his career diminished by injuries, bad QBs and maybe a little attitude. I can actually understand his displeasure bc he is a HOF talent that played with average to below average QBs. Yes, even Eli was average at best at the end of his career. 

Unfortunately bc of his injury, I don’t think he is a viable option.  I expect him to sign with a competing team during the season when the cream has started rising to the top and he has recovered enough to contribute. Still, I don’t think he will add much bc it still takes a full year to recover from an ACL and be back to the way you were before. Add he will turn 30 about the time he comes back, I doubt he will ever be an impact player again but more likely a good #2 if you have a stud #1 and another option like a TE or deep threat #3. 

8 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Some Injury concerns? He’s coming off of a terrible injury, we don’t even know if he’ll be ready week one. Why sign a guy you don’t think can play week 1? There is a reason he is still a FA.

Ballard has done it before with Fisher. If the money’s right…it would make sense to plan on adding OBJ at some point in the season.

But I don’t see it happening. 

8 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Colts do like to draft and sign injured players so this would make sense for them. :funny:

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Ballard has done it before with Fisher. If the money’s right…it would make sense to plan on adding OBJ at some point in the season.

But I don’t see it happening. 

Likely won't be back IIRC till sometime in Nov IIRC

It would have to be a very reasonable deal for me. 

Some saying he's going to command a 2 year deal for total 26M.

Not sure a month-ish is worth it for this year. It'd be all about next season, and the price would be high.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:56 PM, jonjon said:

Beckham blew up his knee in the Super Bowl.   Had major surgery.   Is projected not to be back before November at the earliest.   But he may wind up missing the entire season. 

Way too much risk for way too little reward.  The ratio is entirely backward. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 11:43 PM, EastStreet said:

nope... 

#1 we can't afford him. his market value is over our current cap

#2 i would not want to restructure and push money out (creating dead cap next down the road)

If we lose Kenny's salary, then maybe... 

The Colts can't afford OBJ? Jarvis Landry is making roughly $6 million in 2022. OBJ is injured and will more than likely miss half the season. The Colts have roughly $12 million in cap space right now. OBJ isn't going to command much when he's coming off an ACL injury and will miss a good portion of the year. He'll sign on to a team for a cheap one year deal probably marked with incentives. The Colts could get him for $4-5 million without question. Guys like TY Hilton will probably get somewhere around $5 million for a one year deal somewhere.

14 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

The Colts can't afford OBJ? Jarvis Landry is making roughly $6 million in 2022. OBJ is injured and will more than likely miss half the season. The Colts have roughly $12 million in cap space right now. OBJ isn't going to command much when he's coming off an ACL injury and will miss a good portion of the year. He'll sign on to a team for a cheap one year deal probably marked with incentives. The Colts could get him for $4-5 million without question. Guys like TY Hilton will probably get somewhere around $5 million for a one year deal somewhere.

Highly doubt it. 

My bet is he ends with a 2 or 3 year deal with either the Rams or Browns. 

And most projections are he ends up with at least a two year deal for 27ish

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Highly doubt it. 

My bet is he ends with a 2 or 3 year deal with either the Rams or Browns. 

And most projections are he ends up with at least a two year deal for 27ish

I could see the Rams or Browns making him a two year offer since they are familiar with him. OBJ is better off taking his time to sign with a team and I wouldn't be shocked if he waited towards the second half of the season and sign on with a team poised to make a Super Bowl run. It's gonna be a while until he's able to play again, so until he's healthy enough to return, I don't expect to hear much about him.

17 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

I could see the Rams or Browns making him a two year offer since they are familiar with him. OBJ is better off taking his time to sign with a team and I wouldn't be shocked if he waited towards the second half of the season and sign on with a team poised to make a Super Bowl run. It's gonna be a while until he's able to play again, so until he's healthy enough to return, I don't expect to hear much about him.

IMO, he's simply looking for a 2 year minimum deal, with a high % of guarantees. He won't care if it's front or back loaded, or has voidable years. Browns are likely waiting to figure out what happens with Watson. No sense in signing OBJ if Watson is out for the year. The Browns also have a good roster, but also have the most cap space (42M) left in the league. So they could burn some cash if Watson plays this season. And the Browns definitely need help in that area. The Rams have been pretty clear that they are interested in bringing him back. Their cap situation is not great though, but that's never stopped them before. Rams already have a good receiving corp without him, so they can be more patient. 

So do we think there is any real traction to this whole OBJ thing? Is this him tweeting about it just to let the Colts know he is interested? 

Do we think the Front Office is?

I mean both TY (familiar with the team and offense) and Julio (familiar with Ryan) are both still out there as options?

Or are we thinking the FO is in love with the group they have that they won't even entertain OBJ, TY or Julio?

OBJ may be a timing thing where is he is signed now he cannot be placed on IR until after cut-down day thus leaving someone exposed to the waiver wire that you may have wanted otherwise?

On 7/7/2022 at 1:21 PM, Archer said:

I think our WR corps is better than everyone thinks.  By mid season we could look back and laugh at ourselves for thinking it might be deficient…

I hope that you are right

I think we will know in mid camp better than we know now 

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Giants don't have white stripes 

Correct.    And that’s not even the Giants color Blue.    That looks like a Colts color and Jersey style. 

it’s clearly interesting…. 

But the signing would just be so…..   odd. 

That’s another receiver mouth to feed.   Fighting for receptions with not only the WR room, but the TEs and RBs that Ryan likes to throw to as well.   Just seems like a strange fit whether it’s one year or two. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Correct.    And that’s not even the Giants color Blue.    That looks like a Colts color and Jersey style. 

it’s clearly interesting…. 

But the signing would just be so…..   odd. 

That’s another receiver mouth to feed.   Fighting for receptions with not only the WR room, but the TEs and RBs that Ryan likes to throw to as well.   Just seems like a strange fit whether it’s one year or two. 

My question is would he even be ready for the season? It's only been 5 months since he re-tore his ACL. Apparently he partially tore it earlier last season.

Like I said in another thread.  I don’t see a big downside here.  He will not be expensive.  He won’t be ready till October or November.  That will keep his cost down.  If he’s recovering and on schedule sign him now and let him learn the playbook and rehab at the Colts facility.  I really think we are going to make a playoff and Super Bowl run.  The early bird gets the worm as the saying goes.  As long as his recovery is going strong I see a huge upside versus any current downside worries.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

My question is would he even be ready for the season? It's only been 5 months since he re-tore his ACL. Apparently he partially tore it earlier last season.

What I’ve read is….    Obj would not be ready until November at the earliest.   So if he’s signed to a 1-year deal, then you’d get him for maybe a half a season.   Maybe. 

So if you really want him, it’s best to sign him for a 2-year deal.    Contract structure would be everything. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

What I’ve read is….    Obj would not be ready until November at the earliest.   So if he’s signed to a 1-year deal, then you’d get him for maybe a half a season.   Maybe. 

So if you really want him, it’s best to sign him for a 2-year deal.    Contract structure would be everything. 

If that's the case, there is really no urgency to sign him.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Shaad is reliable

I'm all for signing OBJ but signing him right now would be strange as a November return seems to be the reasonable expectation for him. I guess you sign him now in order to make sure you have him instead of waiting until he is closer to being able to play and risk losing out on him. 

16 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

I'm all for signing OBJ but signing him right now would be strange as a November return seems to be the reasonable expectation for him. I guess you sign him now in order to make sure you have him instead of waiting until he is closer to being able to play and risk losing out on him. 

Broncos, Cowboy, and Rams had WR injuries so the colts could be moving quick to not lose him to another team

Archived