Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

Typically he has paid players who deserve it but that was before the WR market went crazy this offseason and average dudes will be asking for close to $20 million.

The best part, as a team that has yet to overpay for WR talent is.... There are way more average talent wr than there are 20M slots available league wide....

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I guess it depends on if you believe the QB you are drafting at 42 (or later) can start in a couple years after Matt Ryan leaves. If it's Malik Willis, I want him because he's just that, a developmental QB that can learn under Matt Ryan, and be our franchise QB for the next 10-15 years after he leaves. Guys like Howell, Ridder, and Corral don't have that upside, but may be worth it still if we trade down, acquire draft capital, and get a possible future QB without paying premium draft capital.

I realize we need a WR, but you don't always draft for need, sometimes you have to take a detour when the opportunity presents itself. If Malik Willis made it to us, and we passed on him for a WR, I'd be highly frustrated and annoyed. That's a great opportunity that you have to take to get your long-term QB.

I mean we need more than just a WR.

As of right now a QB is needed but these guys to me are not franchise guys. I’m not a GM so I could be wrong obviously but I don’t see it from Malik or any of them. Even at Liberty he was nothing incredible. And that’s not too competition. He might be great after sitting for a few years but again nothing about his college tape shows that to me. He is a similar guy to a Marcus Vick. Fast and can run with a rocket but no accuracy and could not figure out the pro defense. A good arm is great if you have accuracy and can read a d. Again lesser talent showed he was not great but could run. That gets figured out. This is just me though. 

1 hour ago, bertjones7 said:

I'm a hurricanes fan and follow HS recruiting very closely as well.  Canes almost stole Pickens on signing day but in a surprising move picked UGA over Auburn and Miami.  He was the best WR at UGA as a true fr.  The main reason he didn't get 1,000 yards is because of a ACL injury and the conservative offense at UGA.

On a positive note, he is super talented and has great football/competitive character.  He is great run blocker and Kirby Smart said he was the most competitive player during practices on the entire team.  He came back from an ACL to compete in UGA's playoff run.  He easily could have sat out and just prepared for the draft.  Matt Stinchcomb former UGA and NFL players had a lot of very positive things to say about Pickens on NFL radio today.

I understand he comes with risk due to injury and some of the vague character questions, but he is a top 10 talent IMO that is super competitive.  If (big if) Colts are comfortable with his background check, I would love to draft him.

I don’t question his talent or competitiveness, for the record.

1 hour ago, bertjones7 said:

I'm a hurricanes fan and follow HS recruiting very closely as well.  Canes almost stole Pickens on signing day but in a surprising move picked UGA over Auburn and Miami.  He was the best WR at UGA as a true fr.  The main reason he didn't get 1,000 yards is because of a ACL injury and the conservative offense at UGA.

On a positive note, he is super talented and has great football/competitive character.  He is great run blocker and Kirby Smart said he was the most competitive player during practices on the entire team.  He came back from an ACL to compete in UGA's playoff run.  He easily could have sat out and just prepared for the draft.  Matt Stinchcomb former UGA and NFL players had a lot of very positive things to say about Pickens on NFL radio today.

I understand he comes with risk due to injury and some of the vague character questions, but he is a top 10 talent IMO that is super competitive.  If (big if) Colts are comfortable with his background check, I would love to draft him.

I don’t question his talent or competitiveness, for the record.

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I'm saying maybe Indy putting it out there through a sour e that they liked Pickens in interviews and he passed their tests was a smokescreen ...not that the negative reports in him are.

Not a leak, but some reporter last few days tweeted "Pickens passed Colts interviews and they were happy with his performance in them". Or something to that effect.... Not so much a leak, as maybe disinformation

I don’t think it was a reporter.   I think it was a blogger.   In other words, a super fan who what’s a blog or podcast.   I seriously question how accurate it is…..

Just saying….

On 4/22/2022 at 2:22 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

Care to elaborate on this?  I enjoy your take on things. I’m interpreting this as you believe Irsay is calling the shots. Do you think just for CW or possibly other roster decisions as well?

I'm not sure why, but it's just pretty obvious to me that JI was never ever a fan of CW. And we've seen some players come out in support of CW. So I can only guess JI didn't like acquisition in the first place. If it was just the vax stuff, I think that's pretty dumb given all of our other team leaders not vaxed. From Game 5 to Game 15, I'm pretty sure he was rated #2 or close to that in QBR. The week 3 outburst after CW got the sheet beat out of him was just over the top to me, and way too soon. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not sure why, but it's just pretty obvious to me that JI was never ever a fan of CW. And we've seen some players come out in support of CW. So I can only guess JI didn't like acquisition in the first place. If it was just the vax stuff, I think that's pretty dumb given all of our other team leaders not vaxed. From Game 5 to Game 15, I'm pretty sure he was rated #2 or close to that in QBR. The week 3 outburst after CW got the sheet beat out of him was just over the top to me, and way too soon. 

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I actually think Irsay signed off on the Wentz trade (more so than Ballard).  But as the season went on I imagine the “missed layups” began to add up and stand out in film sessions.  Then add it all up (both Titans losses, Bucs collapse, last 2 games, vax status).  Plus Veterans (My guess is TY) confirming to Irsay that Wentz was not the guy.  Film reviews had to be frustrating for Ballard, Irsay, & eventually Reich.  Week after week after week of Wentz missing wide open guys underneath. Never too soon to drop dead weight.

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I actually think Irsay signed off on the Wentz trade (more so than Ballard).  But as the season went on I imagine the “missed layups” began to add up and stand out in film sessions.  Then add it all up (both Titans losses, Bucs collapse, last 2 games, vax status).  Plus Veterans (My guess is TY) confirming to Irsay that Wentz was not the guy.  Film reviews had to be frustrating for Ballard, Irsay, & eventually Reich.  Week after week after week of Wentz missing wide open guys underneath. Never too soon to drop dead weight.

Like I said earlier, from Game 5 to Game 15, he was something like the #2 rated QBR. 

Missed layups weren't a thing till end of season. There wasn't a lot of mention. Not saying he couldn't have done better all season, but it was a revolving door at WR, and a sheet show at OL most of the season. Purely my opinion, but I think overall his supporting cast on O minus RB simply sucked. So IMO, there is something more going on. 

And sorry, our collapses for the most part had to do with a D that sucked, and simply couldn't stop decent QBs. 

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said earlier, from Game 5 to Game 15, he was something like the #2 rated QBR. 

Missed layups weren't a thing till end of season. There wasn't a lot of mention. Not saying he couldn't have done better all season, but it was a revolving door at WR, and a sheet show at OL most of the season. Purely my opinion, but I think overall his supporting cast on O minus RB simply sucked. So IMO, there is something more going on. 

And sorry, our collapses for the most part had to do with a D that sucked, and simply couldn't stop decent QBs. 

I totally disagree. I saw Wentz missing wide open drags & slants that killed drives and lead to him taking absolute kill shots the first few games.  And I was calling the plays out every week.  He was absolutely dreadful on crucial downs (3rd & 4th downs).  He’d make a few plays and then miss easy ones that would’ve  extended drives.  Who knows how those games change if we extend those drives?  Does Taylor get more carries/touches than the 15 or so he was getting if we didn’t leave plays out on the field?  

People make the weapons excuse for Wentz.  But compare his season to Jacoby’s 9-7 season.  We all know Wentz is the better QB but somehow he managed to only put up a couple hundred more yards and a few points higher QBR with an extra game, more TY, #1 receiver Pittman, more Campbell, and MVP candidate Taylor.  Guess who Jacoby had when he put up similar numbers?  Less TY.  Barely 1k yard back in Mack.  Less Campbell.  And the often criticized as not very good Pascal was Jacoby’s #1 that year.  No Pittman at all but Jacoby only threw for a couple hundred less yards in 2.5 less games.  

So if Jacoby sucked (he did) then Wentz definitely sucked just as bad with even better weapons around him.  Make that make sense.  Wentz is just too erratic, slow processing, and not very accurate.

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I totally disagree. I saw Wentz missing wide open drags & slants that killed drives and lead to him taking absolute kill shots the first few games.  And I was calling the plays out every week.  He was absolutely dreadful on crucial downs (3rd & 4th downs).  He’d make a few plays and then miss easy ones that would’ve  extended drives.  Who knows how those games change if we extend those drives?  Does Taylor get more carries/touches than the 15 or so he was getting if we didn’t leave plays out on the field?  

Not sure how much film you watch, but every single QB misses open pass catchers. On almost ever down you can look blindly at WRs and TEs and say "oh, that guy was open"... It's kind of hilarious seeing some of the hot take "film studies" that are published. First of all, you have to understand the play call and read progression. You have typically 5 reads on any play. A great QB with a great OL can get through 3-4 on most plays. Our pass pro OL sucked last year sucked, so automatically cut that down to 2-3 on most plays. 

That said, then factor our WRs were a MASH unit, and we we had guys like Pascal getting borderline #1 snaps. 

In short, when you have no confidence in your OL, especially your blindside T, things don't go well. You're hearing footsteps every down. And when you're a first year QB with a bad OL and only one decent WR, it's hard to be good.

And yet he was #2 in QBR for a 10 game span. And that was after he got beat to pulp the first several games and didn't have a pass D that could stop the leagues worst QBs.

People make the weapons excuse for Wentz.  But compare his season to Jacoby’s 9-7 season.  We all know Wentz is the better QB but somehow he managed to only put up a couple hundred more yards and a few points higher QBR with an extra game, more TY, #1 receiver Pittman, more Campbell, and MVP candidate Taylor.  Guess who Jacoby had when he out up similar numbers?  Less TY.  Barely 1k yard back in Mack.  Less Campbell.  And the often criticized as not very good Pascal was Jacoby’s #1 that year.  No Pittman at all but only threw for a couple hundred less yards in 2.5 less games.  

Sorry, you're being selective here too. JB had probably the best OL in the league. He had the the best TE from the year before too. We saw how that went. And a better D too. And yet, even in his wins, he still had 40ish QBRs. The dude was not good. 

Your argument is mental gymnastics, and the gymnastics are very poor. 

So if Jacoby sucked (he did) then Wentz definitely sucked just as bad with even better weapons around him.  Make that make sense.  Wentz is just too erratic, slow processing, and not very accurate.

Wentz was a bit erratic, at least more then Rivers. But he was much better than JB. There's a reason JB is seen as backup now. And there is a reason why CW is getting another chance at starter. For all we know, Wentz will fail biggly at WA, but I'm gonna bet he ends up top 15.... 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry… but missed layups wasn’t a thing at the end of the year.   It happened all season. 

Missed layups meant missed opportunities.  Wentz wouldn’t throw to a wide open receiver like Hines and others because he was trying to make the more difficult throw down the field hoping for a big gain.  Reich and Ballard wanted Wentz to make the easy completions to open receivers who could get a basic first down.  That’s why Hines’s receptions dropped by 20.  That’s why receptions to tight ends weren’t very high.  

Too many attempts at lower percentage plays trying for a home run at the expense of fewer easy plays (layups) that could’ve gotten a first down and kept drives alive. 

That’s why Ballard went out of his way at the year end press conference to say he and Frank want Hines to be much more involved in the offense.   His touches need to go back up. 

Welcome back.   Your absence has been noticed.   Hope all is well.   

So much for Ballard picking BPA. He drafted like I would have, needs. The 4 positions he drafted for were the exact 4 that I said he should. WR, TE, LT, and S. He didn't take a QB either because it wasn't a need with Matt Ryan here for 2 or 3 years. I gave our draft a solid B on East Streets thread because I rarely give out As. I rarely give out As because of course only 1 or 2 of these guys may pan out but his draft strategy and picks were right on. The rest of the draft is gravy now. I would probably take another WR in a chance to get lucky that the guy might end up being good.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would probably take another WR in a chance to get lucky that the guy might end up being good.

Too bad Calvin Austin III will probably be off the board by the time we pick again. He would be a real quality get.

2 hours ago, Pelt said:

Too bad Calvin Austin III will probably be off the board by the time we pick again. He would be a real quality get.

It's going to hurt watching him get picked by another team. He's a very different WR than what we have on the roster, but I think could be exactly what we need. Unfortunately, it seems like CB's type at WR is height/weight/speed guys and Austin is only one of those things, even though that speed is unreal.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So much for Ballard picking BPA. He drafted like I would have, needs. The 4 positions he drafted for were the exact 4 that I said he should. WR, TE, LT, and S. He didn't take a QB either because it wasn't a need with Matt Ryan here for 2 or 3 years. I gave our draft a solid B on East Streets thread because I rarely give out As. I rarely give out As because of course only 1 or 2 of these guys may pan out but his draft strategy and picks were right on. The rest of the draft is gravy now. I would probably take another WR in a chance to get lucky that the guy might end up being good.

I don’t typically like drafting need. That said , it may be best in the type of draft class this is

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ballard explained on pats show you always take need if players are equal. You only take the one that isn’t a need if they are special. That’s why Taylor was taken.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ballard explained on pats show you always take need if players are equal. You only take the one that isn’t a need if they are special. That’s why Taylor was taken.

I didn't even give a Taylor an A pick, I had it as a B at the time because I knew he would be good. In hindsight, of course he is an A now because he turned out great lol. The only draft pick right when it happened that I have gave Ballard an A on is the Nelson pick. I knew Nelson would be all-pro and possibly Hall of Fame material. 

Wasn't it Uncle Krunk who told you guys to let the man roll his plan out before you judge?  Ballard is knocking this out of the park and even after the draft there's going to be a guy or two that he adds that can put the cherry on top. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Wasn't it Uncle Krunk who told you guys to let the man roll his plan out before you judge?  Ballard is knocking this out of the park and even after the draft there's going to be a guy or two that he adds that can put the cherry on top. 

I am extremely happy with this whole off season so far. Getting Matt Ryan for just a 3rd rounder, trading Rock for Yannick, then turning around and signing Gilmore to make our Secondary good. Then the draft yesterday was impressive, we filled every need we needed too. Every player we drafted yesterday has a chance to be good. Not really much to complain about, Ballard along with Irsay are giving it a solid effort to get this team real competitive. 

18 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Looks like TY will be coming back. We will have a good WR group of Campbell can just get lucky one time.

Would be happy with T.Y coming back. He can be a solid player if he’s not expected to be what he used to be.

Like you said, if only Parris could just be healthy for once our WR room would actually be solid.

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure how much film you watch, but every single QB misses open pass catchers. On almost ever down you can look blindly at WRs and TEs and say "oh, that guy was open"... It's kind of hilarious seeing some of the hot take "film studies" that are published. First of all, you have to understand the play call and read progression. You have typically 5 reads on any play. A great QB with a great OL can get through 3-4 on most plays. Our pass pro OL sucked last year sucked, so automatically cut that down to 2-3 on most plays. 

That said, then factor our WRs were a MASH unit, and we we had guys like Pascal getting borderline #1 snaps. 

In short, when you have no confidence in your OL, especially your blindside T, things don't go well. You're hearing footsteps every down. And when you're a first year QB with a bad OL and only one decent WR, it's hard to be good.

And yet he was #2 in QBR for a 10 game span. And that was after he got beat to pulp the first several games and didn't have a pass D that could stop the leagues worst QBs.

Sorry, you're being selective here too. JB had probably the best OL in the league. He had the the best TE from the year before too. We saw how that went. And a better D too. And yet, even in his wins, he still had 40ish QBRs. The dude was not good. 

Your argument is mental gymnastics, and the gymnastics are very poor. 

Wentz was a bit erratic, at least more then Rivers. But he was much better than JB. There's a reason JB is seen as backup now. And there is a reason why CW is getting another chance at starter. For all we know, Wentz will fail biggly at WA, but I'm gonna bet he ends up top 15.... 

East it looks like you’re the one doing the poor mental gymnastics by making excuses for Wentz & wearing rose colored glasses.  Go back and check what Wentz’ numbers were on the critical drive extending downs (3rd & 4th).  And I know there are often guys running open on plays and QB’s miss them.  I know the difference between that and a QB not reading the defense but predetermining where he’s going with the ball and locking onto that receiver for too long  and missing his wide open 2nd read or check down and then ataking a kill shot.  I can go back in at least 4-5 of our losses and pull plays that were critical and played a huge part in us losing.  

Notice how you say poor Wentz had a guy like Pascal getting #1 reps.  Poor Carson.  Pascal was Jacoby’s #1.  Yet he only threw for a couple hundred less yards in 2.5 less games played than Wentz.  Funny how all the weapons (Hines, Pascal, TY) regressed with Wentz but Rivers & Jacoby managed to make them viable weapons.  I guess the Colts brass views the situation like me and many others.  And thank goodness Washington views Wentz like you do.  And I hope he continues to do Wentz like things and plays the necessary snaps to get us that 2nd round pick.  After that, I’ll be happy to never talk about the failed Wentz experiment ever again. Good riddance. 

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Looks like TY will be coming back. We will have a good WR group of Campbell can just get lucky one time.

i dont think we see TY unless an injury occurs. Ballard keeps ducking commitment for a reason.

hes going to let the youngins play

Archived