Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DaColts85 said:

Me too unless it’s at the end of the draft. If you want a backup don’t spend your 42nd pick for it. 

I guess it depends on if you believe the QB you are drafting at 42 (or later) can start in a couple years after Matt Ryan leaves. If it's Malik Willis, I want him because he's just that, a developmental QB that can learn under Matt Ryan, and be our franchise QB for the next 10-15 years after he leaves. Guys like Howell, Ridder, and Corral don't have that upside, but may be worth it still if we trade down, acquire draft capital, and get a possible future QB without paying premium draft capital.

I realize we need a WR, but you don't always draft for need, sometimes you have to take a detour when the opportunity presents itself. If Malik Willis made it to us, and we passed on him for a WR, I'd be highly frustrated and annoyed. That's a great opportunity that you have to take to get your long-term QB.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Just because fans think they are going to be backups doesn’t mean Ballard does. 

Yeah, it's pick your poison. Draft a QB that fell this year in the 2nd round and develop him for a couple years, or draft a QB in the 1st round next year, and have him have one less year of development before taking over, and one less year learning under Matt Ryan. That would also be spending a 2nd on a QB this year rather than a 1st next year on a QB when maybe we could get the same result at QB and possibly get an elite WR, LT, EDGE, CB, or other position with a 1st rounder in 2023.

Not saying either choice is correct or incorrect, but there's an actual debate to this, and it's not as black and white as a lot of people are making it out to be.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, it's pick your poison. Draft a QB that fell this year in the 2nd round and develop him for a couple years, or draft a QB in the 1st round next year, and have him have one less year of development before taking over, and one less year learning under Matt Ryan. That would also be spending a 2nd on a QB this year rather than a 1st next year on a QB when maybe we could get the same result at QB and possibly get an elite WR, LT, EDGE, CB, or other position with a 1st rounder in 2023.

Not saying either choice is correct or incorrect, but there's an actual debate to this, and it's not as black and white as a lot of people are making it out to be.

I think ridder has that upside. He has to work on his accuracy.

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Exactly right. There will be roster needs next year and very good players available in the 1st round next year as well. It won't sting any less. The opportunity cost of drafting a QB early is an inevitability.

And personally, I would rather take a 2nd round gamble than have to use a 1st round pick. But I also really like Willis and Corral. Could also get onboard with Ridder or Howell. 

I think people are just assuming that Matt Ryan is a sure thing for at least two years. And while I think they are planning on him being the starter, they will still want to have some type of plan.  

Everybody likes to say "Trust the Binder," well this would be the ultimate test.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The QB class is loaded next year, that is doubtful. Do you really want us to draft a QB this year with so many other needs?? Have you seen these QB's play this past season, I have and they will be lucky to be good at best. 

I started to check out next years class and while much better I wouldn’t say loaded. Really didn’t see OMG guys right away. Of course that’s my opinion with an incomplete analysis.  I probably won’t finish it either bc I’m burnt out on watching tape and just enjoying the ride.  Whoever or whatever they do is fine with me and will just wait and see 

47 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There's also a third choice.   Draft a QB in the first round in 2024.    It’s not just this year or next. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's also a third choice.   Draft a QB in the first round in 2024.    It’s not just this year or next. 

I know because Matt Ryan might play even 3 more years. I am being reasonable with the QB lovers in here and really realistic about the whole subject. My question would be how would drafting a QB help the team out at all in 2022? Only way it would is if Matt got injured, chances of that happening are like me bowling a 300 lmao . A QB should only sit for 1 year at most other wise it is a distraction to your starting QB. We have holes to fill like WR and LT to worry about drafting a QB this season.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The QB class is loaded next year, that is doubtful. Do you really want us to draft a QB this year with so many other needs?? Have you seen these QB's play this past season, I have and they will be lucky to be good at best. 

Are you just going off what others are saying?  Because the QB class next yr has a couple top have to get QB's then it drops to what some believe is below what some of the remaining QB's are that are available this yr.

I don't want a QB this yr.  But I am very intrigued in what Ridder may turn into in a couple of yrs once Matt hangs it up.  

WR are all about evenly grouped without a lot of drop off from the top of the second round to being able to get your QB and a receiver like Bell in the third.   I still think there is a lot of very good D players that Ballard will have a hard time passing on if they fall to us.    And the top TE is also still on the board 

Again.   I won't be upset or surprised with any of the picks.  I will be one that will admit I don't know near as much about building a team as Ballard and Co. do.  

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Zak Keefer said on the radio this morning if they have a second round grade on ridder and they have similiar grades on the WR or the WR are gone they will pick Ridder. But he is leaning no QB.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47uarelo2ath1jfj4xb5

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know because Matt Ryan might play even 3 more years. I am being reasonable with the QB lovers in here and really realistic about the whole subject. My question would be how would drafting a QB help the team out at all in 2022? Only way it would is if Matt got injured, chances of that happening are like me bowling a 300 lmao . A QB should only sit for 1 year at most other wise it is a distraction to your starting QB. We have holes to fill like WR and LT to worry about drafting a QB this season.

I know there are examples that say otherwise, but I typically think if your starting QB is lost for the season, then your season is lost.   At that point, you do the best you can and try to build for the next season. 

Not a popular view, I get that.  But that’s typically my position. 

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

we need to draft some day one starters this year at ot, wr te, cb,s, de or any position who can day one start, no more delayed gratification.

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

From what I'm seeing... 

They have one blue chip WR still available on the board!!!!!! I would not be shocked if we trade up for him. This WR is the only blue chip prospect visible on the board(WRs. TE. RB, QB, OT positions are visible).

There are 2 WRs with red flags. No other red flag for a position visible on the board.

There are a ton of WRs that are designated as "gold" - 3 of them regular WRs, if I'm not mistaken 4 designated as slots. 

There are 3 visible TEs with "gold" designation - 2 of them Y TE, 1 of them F. 

RBs(!!!!!!!!) There are 5 "gold" RBs left on the board!!!! Do not be shocked if we draft a RB withone of the day 3 picks... possibly even early day 3. 

2 OTs designated as gold, but they are very low on the board - I would guess, we are not picking one on day 2.

There is ONE QB designated as "gold"... if the blue chip WR is not on the board, or we can't trade up for him... be prepared... he's also highlighted with dark theme... seems like the leading player at each position is highlighted with dark theme. 

There are several other categories that I cannot make out... one is under the gold category but almost noone is in it - it's possible it's another type of red flag category - for example - first one might be off-field red flags, other one might be medical red flags. Almost noone is in it - there is one QB in it and 3 OTs visible. 

There are a TON of players in the "black" category. And then then a ton of players in the following category that is illegible(cannot read the designation). 

That's what I could make out of the charts... :dunno:

No idea how useful it is. 

My best guesses based on that picture:

- if the blue chip WR falls - he will be the pick... we might even trade up for him.

- if not - very possible QB pick. 

- if not - very possible WR - that's the position with most "gold" designated players

- if not - TE

- I expect us to pick a RB in the draft.

- I don't expect us to pick an OT day 2. the two highest ranked OTs on the board seem to be at the very bottom of the tier. 

Keep in mind we only see half the board here - we don't know what the defensive side of the board looks like... for all we know it's full with bluechippers or high level "golds" 

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know there are examples that say otherwise, but I typically think if your starting QB is lost for the season, then your season is lost.   At that point, you do the best you can and try to build for the next season. 

Not a popular view, I get that.  But that’s typically my position. 

This x 1,000,000

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Just because fans think they are going to be backups doesn’t mean Ballard does. 

Not only that, if they picked Ridder I could definitely see the Colts using him to run some read option stuff in the redzone. Dude is extremely athletic.

If they pick him I think its because they see him as an offensive weapon they can use next year, as opposed to simply a developmental QB.

With all the buzz about possibly taking a QB at 42, I guess I should post this here….  

1.   I’d like to use pick 42 to help the Colts snd Matt Ryan this year.

2.   I don’t think any QB available is the long term answer for the Colts, and I think the NFL agreed with me last night. 

3.  Next year, 2023, I don’t think is the right year to draft our quarterback of the future.   As of today— right now — there are already FIVE TEAMS that already have TWO first round picks next year.  How do we outbid those teams to move up for a QB?  

4.  If Pryor is not the long term LT, then next year, I’d like to trade Kelly, move Pinter to C, move Pryor to RG and draft our new starting LT.    

5.  Then in 2024,  I’d to focus on drafting our long term QB and if we have to trade a boat load of future picks, at that point, so be it. 

This is my long term view and plan. 

Just now, TheNextGM said:

Be shocked if Ridder or Willis is there at 42… Seattle probably takes one ahead of us, Minny and NY and Tennessee and Houston could all grab a QB as well.. my guess is they are both gone

If Seattle takes Ridder  poor Eason will probably be cut.lol. I think they might want to see what kick has. They have grani smith signed too. 

The question is do they think his upside is bigger then Sams.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

With all the buzz about possibly taking a QB at 42, I guess I should post this here….  

1.   I’d like to use pick 42 to help the Colts snd Matt Ryan this year.

2.   I don’t think any QB available is the long term answer for the Colts, and I think the NFL agreed with me last night. 

3.  Next year, 2023, I don’t think is the right year to draft our quarterback of the future.   As of today— right now — there are already FIVE TEAMS that already have TWO first round picks next year.  How do we outbid those teams to move up for a QB?  

4.  If Pryor is not the long term LT, then next year, I’d like to trade Kelly, move Pinter to C, move Pryor to RG and draft our new starting LT.    

5.  Then in 2024,  I’d to focus on drafting our long term QB and if we have to trade a boat load of future picks, at that point, so be it. 

This is my long term view and plan. 

There are still FA WR we can sign. Landry and Hilton are still out there. There is also the third round. Bell might still be there too.

There was talk that only PIT had a first round grade on Kenny Pickett.  31 of 32 teams didn't, and obviously none of the others.  The high second round is where Derek Carr went, and none of these QBs have the same talent as Carr had when he was coming out.

I'd wager that the QBs are graded late second at best, maybe more into rounds 3 and 4, but it only takes one to see it differently......just like PIT

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

There are still FA WR we can sign. Landry and Hilton are still out there. There is also the third round. Bell might still be there too.

Bell will most likely fall to day 3

Just now, csmopar said:

Am I the only one thinking the pick will be a stunner, probably a position no one saw coming? 

No 

Travis Jones is my prediction 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

From what I'm seeing... 

They have one blue tier WR still available on the board!!!!!! I would not be shocked if we trade up for him. This WR is the only blue chip prospect visible on the board(WRs. TE. RB, QB, OT positions are visible).

There are 2 WRs with red flags. No other red flag for a position visible on the board.

There are a ton of WRs that are designated as "gold" - 3 of them regular WRs, if I'm not mistaken 4 designated as slots. 

There are 3 visible TEs with "gold" designation - 2 of them Y TE, 1 of them F. 

RBs(!!!!!!!!) There are 5 "gold" RBs left on the board!!!! Do not be shocked if we draft a RB withone of the day 3 picks... possibly even early day 3. 

There is ONE QB designated as "gold"... if the blue chip WR is not on the board, or we can't trade up for him... be prepared... he's also highlighted with dark theme... seems like the leading player at each position is highlighted with dark theme. 

There are several other categories that I cannot make out... one is under the gold category but almost noone is in it - it's possible it's another type of red flag category - for example - first one might be off-field red flags, other one might be medical red flags. Almost noone is in it - there is one QB in it and 2 OTs visible. 

There are a TON of players in the "black" category. And then then a ton of players in the following category that is ineligble(cannot read the designation). 

That's what I could make out of the charts... :dunno:

No idea how useful it is. 

I am sure they altered it if there was any real information there. 

Archived