Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

On 4/1/2022 at 5:36 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Dan Dakich don’t you have radio show to host?  Say hi to Ryan Grigson next time you talk to him.

oh by the way I am not a know it all I’ve been wrong plenty of times and have zero problems admitting when I am.

I'm actually confident our friend CDGA is talking about me....     he's been using the "know it all" insult on me in several recent posts.     But, to copy a very good comment from you,   I've been wrong plenty of times as well,   and also have zero problems admitting it.     I try to own as much of my poop as possible.     We're all fans on a message board.    Being wrong from time to time just kinda comes with the territory.     Know way of getting around it.....

On 4/3/2022 at 11:46 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?

Predicted to be the worst team in the NFL in his rookie season, Luck carried the Colts to three straight 11-5 seasons.   Plus they went a round further in the playoffs his first three years and reached the AFC championship  game in his third year. 

That’s not elite?   

Not sure what how they did relative to expectations has to do with wether they were 

elite.

That said, we may just have markedly different definitions of the word, elite.

From my perspective, elite is multiple seasons within a few years time

in Conference Championship games or beyond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, indykmj said:

Not sure what how they did relative to expectations has to do with wether they were 

elite.

That said, we may just have markedly different definitions of the word, elite.

From my perspective, elite is multiple seasons within a few years time

in Conference Championship games or beyond.

Fair enough.    I don’t know that I fully embrace your definition of elite, but you made a good and fair argument and that’s all I ever ask.    Good post.   :thmup:

Regarding when we had Andrew Luck, we weren't elite but that was due to having a bad O.Line, no run game, and an average defense. Andrew was very good to great without debate. 11-5 first 3 years, went to a AFC Title Game, set the rookie record for most passing yards, he also threw for 40+ TD's in a season which only 7 other QB's have done. Andrew carried our butts basically. The only help he really had was Reggie Wayne in his rookie season, TY Hilton was good but not great. The Colts had 1 game where a RB had more than 100 yards in a game from 2012-2014 and we still won 11 games every season, that is a miracle in itself.

• Like 1

I'm all done complaining about Ballard. Its obvious he has a well thought out plan. He's working hard on improving our draft position for next year's draft. With a top 5 pick, we should get our future QB. Once we get our guy we should be ready to compete with the rest of the league with a 3 year rebuild.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I'm all done complaining about Ballard. Its obvious he has a well thought out plan. He's working hard on improving our draft position for next year's draft. With a top 5 pick, we should get our future QB. Once we get our guy we should be ready to compete with the rest of the league with a 3 year rebuild.

I would be ok if that was actually the plan. It's being not good enough to be a real SB contender, but not bad enough for a top draft pick that I hate.  Being a mediocre to good team is a waste.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, esmort said:

I would be ok if that was actually the plan. It's being not good enough to be a real SB contender, but not bad enough for a top draft pick that I hate.  Being a mediocre to good team is a waste.

Well, this roster has several positions that need upgrades  and the depth is gone. I think with a very tough schedule, we will be lucky to win 5 games so maybe we will be in a better draft position.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Well, this roster has several positions that need upgrades  and the depth is gone. I think with a very tough schedule, we will be lucky to win 5 games so maybe we will be in a better draft position.

I think they.will win more than that, they might even sneak into the playoffs; but it  will be a waste because that will just be a low draft pick.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

broken-record-midia.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Would you like to place a bet on our draft spot next year?   I will take 32-16 you take 16-1.    You win I give 100 bucks to a charity of your choice I win you do the same.   

• Like 1

I am not one that says we should sign every big name free agent or every big name "has been" such as Julio Jones or not a true #1 WR like Landry (4.7 40 guy that's been a solid #2 -already have that in Pittman). But honestly, Ballard has let several viable free agents sign with other teams and has not filled many of the obvious holes needed. In fact, we replaced 27 tds and 7 ints with an avg of 23 tds and 13 ints the last 3 years. Glad we jettisoned Wentz but Matty Ice never was Ice (reference taking a sack in SB vs. Pats when just needed to throw out of bounds and kick a FG).  Ngakoue is a solid addition but not enough. Looking at 8-9 or 9-8 with this roster. Our 17th ranked defense certainly isn't scary and is mediocre (14-16th this coming year). Just wish I knew Ballard's plan, or now I honestly wonder if he's just a decent drafting GM, but not a good overall GM. We shall see. But in the mean time the true stars on this team are not getting any younger and wasting good years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Ok….   At least you’re on the record.   Props for that. 

Lucky to win 5 games.   That’s your call. 

I hope you have the courage of your convictions, because I don’t think your prediction is going to age well.   At all. 

For the record,  this past season, when we started off 1-4, this website was melting down.   Fans here predicted our first round pick, which was going to Philly, might be top-5, and probably top-10.

I said then — that week — that not only wouldn’t our pick be top-5 OR top-10, it would be no worse than pick 15-18.  I predicted no worse than a 9-8 record.   And what happened?   A 9-8 record and our pick turned out to be 16.    Just what I predicted. 

But what do I know?   According to you, I’m just a know it all.   

But keep being you.   It’s working out so well for you!     :facepalm:

On 3/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, stitches said:

You know I'm not the biggest fan of the conservative nature of Reich's playcalling, but I feel like personnel has a bit to do with it too. I also don't think just any speedster would do. There are tons of super fast receiver that are not good players and even though they have speed they can't get open and/or can't locate and catch what's thrown their way. We need good players that can do it all, while being fast. 

QB's chemistry and trust with his WRs is important too. Some QBs just refuse to throw to players they don't trust to catch the ball. It's weird because Wentz was actually launching it relatively frequently at least in the beginning of the season. He got really lucky with some late/underthrows where we got DPIs... I wonder if Ryan will develop a good timing and trust with any of our WRs. I really hope the offense won't be as limited as it was with Rivers(although watching Rivers operate was joy for me too... he just seemed to always know what he has to do and where he has to go, he was really impressive for how limited physically he was). Hopefully Matt Ryan gives us some of the same cerebral play but we get some more  big throws downfield too. 

At min, Wentz was highly successful tossing to Pitt. Even with the OL faux passssss... 

We've seen FR's O for a few years. It simply doesn't do deep. 

13 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Ballard's plan or lack thereof aside, there are currently (5) teams with two, 2023 1st

Round picks. (HOU, DET, SEA, MIA and PHIL). At least two, if not four or five, of

them will likely be looking for a potential starting QB.

What are the chances that the Colts will be able to out bid enough of those teams 

to secure a top-5 pick next April ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, indykmj said:

Ballard's plan or lack thereof aside, there are currently (5) teams with two, 2023 1st

Round picks. (HOU, DET, SEA, MIA and PHIL). At least two, if not four or five, of

What are the chances that the Colts will be able to out bid enough of those teams 

You know, this is an excellent point you made. I do not have an answer, I doubt Ballard would either. Matt Ryan or bust for the next 2 years then. :) 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You know, this is an excellent point you made. I do not have an answer, I doubt Ballard would either. Matt Ryan or bust for the next 2 years then. :) 

We are truly lucky to get Matt Ryan, I am surprised Ballard traded for him with the way we are about the Salary Cap. He at least gives fans hope to win the division. I figured in the end it would be Mariota time Happy Day Running GIF by Harry Styles. At least we had the sense enough to get a good QB.

Short of a meltdown by Matt....which is not going to happen, the team was looking at 2 years minimum with him under center. Taking a high pick QB next season does not appear to be the case regardless. Well, unless it's the view of fans who feel wronged in some weird manner. 

Matt is signed for 3 years, i dont think we are trying to get a first round QB next season

Colts could win the south, we dont have near the fire power the top teams in the afc have though.  To me WR is the biggest need if we want to go far

Or, i wonder who a top 15 pick could get us next year. Hypothetically speaking ya know. 

Or, i wonder who a top 15 pick could get us next year. Hypothetically speaking ya know. 

45 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Matt is signed for 3 years, i dont think we are trying to get a first round QB next season

Colts could win the south, we dont have near the fire power the top teams in the afc have though.  To me WR is the biggest need if we want to go far

I believe Matt is signed for two more years, not three.   I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong. 

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe Matt is signed for two more years, not three.   I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong. 

I think you are correct, he did say he wanted three years at one point. Looks like they landed on two instead

32 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I think you are correct, he did say he wanted three years at one point. Looks like they landed on two instead

If this goes well, I will not be surprised to see this get extended by a year.    I’m talking it happening after next season. 

• Like 1

Seems fairly likely that Stroud and Young will be top-5ish guys next year. And there are 

a handful of other prospects (Heaner, etc.) whom have a shot at being 1st rounders.

I suppose that, if the Colts are lucky, Ryan works out very well and between the pervasive

young talent at QB right now plus whichever needy teams fill their slots via the draft

next year, there'll be limited competition for whomever the Colts like best in April-2024.   

For the Ballard is Cheap ppl just as a reference:

Not a cash flow/escrow prob.

Not a "too cheap to pay players" prob.

He does not put value in other people's FAs enough to spend big to lure them in.

It is almost like he wants to try before he buys....that is Ballard

Draft and see how the guy does on a rookie deal. Try him in our system. He excels?...pay him.

Trade for a guy we think fits our scheme. If he works, pay him.

Sign a guy to a cheaper 1-2 year (normally 1 year) prove-it deal. If he works out and he is a starter?....pay him

Still, I admit I was surprised CB is top-10 in guaranteed money spent. Just tries before he buys lol.

• Like 4

My biggest beef with Ballard has never been that he doesn't spend money on the FA market. Would I like him to have a bit more strategic FA spending? Sure... but that's not anywhere close to a crucial mistake IMO. I absolutely understand his thinking here. 

My biggest grievances have to do with the way he's handled some of the positions of highest value in football. IMO that's what is hindering us from taking the next step to being a legitimate contender. 

• Thanks 1

I am listening to a Twitter spaces podcast from the guy from the Indy star and one of the guys from the Blue Stable. I agree with the guy from the blue stable. Why is Ballard so cheap and unwilling to pay a difference maker 5 million more. That is why the Tyrann  stuff confuses him. Its one thing to not overlay a mediocre vet but if the guy is a difference maker pay them a little bit more. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I am listening to a Twitter spaces podcast from the guy from the Indy star and one of the guys from the Blue Stable. I agree with the guy from the blue stable. Why is Ballard so cheap and unwilling to pay a difference maker 5 million more. That is why the Tyrann  stuff confuses him. Its one thing to not overlay a mediocre vet but if the guy is a difference maker pay them a little bit more. 

Probably because honey badger is at his peak/past his peak so the next contract he is on will be through his decline. So you don’t want to be the team to give a big contract to a big name player just for them to not play up to the contract. 

Also while he would be a good addition he isn’t a natural fit for us because his best position is Kenny Moores best spot as well. 

On 4/5/2022 at 8:35 PM, jvan1973 said:

Would you like to place a bet on our draft spot next year?   I will take 32-16 you take 16-1.    You win I give 100 bucks to a charity of your choice I win you do the same.   

I think we will win 10-11 games And make the playoffs.  However, I will take that bet so money is donated to charity. Deal?  

On 4/5/2022 at 5:18 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

I will bet you 100 dollars right now we win more than 5 games. You win the bet if win less than 6. Is it a bet? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Probably because honey badger is at his peak/past his peak so the next contract he is on will be through his decline. So you don’t want to be the team to give a big contract to a big name player just for them to not play up to the contract. 

Also while he would be a good addition he isn’t a natural fit for us because his best position is Kenny Moores best spot as well. 

Well according to sources they believe he is a perfect fit for Bradley’s system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1