Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

2 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Or the FO doesn't value certain players the way fans do.   I am not positive but I think LT is already on the team.  Honey Badgers best position is what Kenny Moore plays and was graded lower than Kenny so he would have to play another position, which he is not as good at.  So how much of an upgrade will he really be?   Ballard has offers out for HB but probably not for the price he thinks he deserves at the slot CB  Probably a safety at a lower rate Because again he is good but not as good there. 

Landry wants #1 receiver money and is not a #1 receiver.  He wouldn't even be the #1 receiver on the Colts.   So do you pay a #2 receiver WR1 money?  I wouldn't.  He's not that good And a reason he's still available and just fired his agent. LOL 

Vet WR.   Does everyone want one because of leadership?  If so sign TY. and don't forget we now have Reggie who will fill a big part of the leadership and mentor roles.

The few million you talk about is fine IF you are getting a lot more out of a player than what you already have.  If not. It's wasting money.

I think we have WR's already on this team that will elevate   Plus I think they will add in the draft.  Matt Ryan alone will make the receivers better 

Who else?     

Price vs value.   Same as shopping for anything. 

Your scnarios are for only for RIGHT NOW, I think most on here complaining/questioning Ballard's reluctance to spend are referring to his record of being thrifty for 6 seasons. 

Whether someone calls it being smart with your money or being cheap the reality is the same....and that's that this team is lacking in playmakers and has needs in the premium positions and the .500 record and zero division titles/ disappointing playoff appearances show it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Your scnarios are for only for RIGHT NOW, I think most on here complaining/questioning Ballard's reluctance to spend are referring to his record of being thrifty for 6 seasons. 

Whether someone calls it being smart with your money or being cheap the reality is the same....and that's that this team is lacking in playmakers and has needs in the premium positions and the .500 record and zero division titles/ disappointing playoff appearances show it.

It’s Andrew’s fault 

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

CB is a fantastic GM!!! He's been at the helm only 5 + years and the Colts have already amassed 0 divisional titles!! (Although be it we are in the tough AFC South)

We’re lucky to have him. Patience! 

5 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Or the FO doesn't value certain players the way fans do.   I am not positive but I think LT is already on the team.  Honey Badgers best position is what Kenny Moore plays and was graded lower than Kenny so he would have to play another position, which he is not as good at.  So how much of an upgrade will he really be?   Ballard has offers out for HB but probably not for the price he thinks he deserves at the slot CB  Probably a safety at a lower rate Because again he is good but not as good there. 

Landry wants #1 receiver money and is not a #1 receiver.  He wouldn't even be the #1 receiver on the Colts.   So do you pay a #2 receiver WR1 money?  I wouldn't.  He's not that good And a reason he's still available and just fired his agent. LOL 

Vet WR.   Does everyone want one because of leadership?  If so sign TY. and don't forget we now have Reggie who will fill a big part of the leadership and mentor roles.

The few million you talk about is fine IF you are getting a lot more out of a player than what you already have.  If not. It's wasting money.

I think we have WR's already on this team that will elevate   Plus I think they will add in the draft.  Matt Ryan alone will make the receivers better 

Who else?     

Price vs value.   Same as shopping for anything. 

Judy Garland Dorothy GIF

Apr 8, 2022, 11:51 AM ET

MATT RYANQB, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

The Athletic's Mike Sando reports an NFL executive said "age has caught up" with Matt Ryan. 

“I had him with a big decline last year," the league exec said. "Matt has had a phenomenal career, a great quarterback, but it wasn’t like he was super big athletic or had a super strong arm. I see the skills declining a little bit quicker for him as a result. I think they could be looking at another quarterback in a year, and if they don’t win, look out for Irsay.” The Colts in March acquired Ryan for the low price of a third-round draft pick after Carson Wentz's 2021 late-season meltdown that left the team out of the postseason. In a terrible Atlanta offense last season, Ryan posted the third lowest adjusted yards per attempt (6.8) of his career along with his second-worst touchdown rate (3.6 percent). Ryan finished the year 23rd in adjusted expected points added per drop back, behind Wentz. In Indianapolis, Ryan will be charged with taking care of the football and operating an offense centered around Jonathan Taylor and the run game. Any decline he's experienced might not matter if Ryan, 36, isn't asked to do a whole lot in 2022. 

• Like 3

On 4/8/2022 at 3:57 PM, throwing BBZ said:

PFF, for what it's worth graded Mathieu 67
 Stephon Gilmore 77
  So if Ballard decides to offer one a deal... say $12M
   which one would you folks want?
   TM does have a history of always being available.

Gilmore less so.
     I would go for Gilmore.

I’m probably the minority here but I say neither unless it’s below market value.  Both are declining and I believe Gilmore has become injury prone. Honey Badger at 6m a year and other incentives for 3yrs with an out after each season would be ok. 

On 4/8/2022 at 7:04 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

CB is a fantastic GM!!! He's been at the helm only 5 + years and the Colts have already amassed 0 divisional titles!! (Although be it we are in the tough AFC South)

Hey Grigson,   you traded for Trent Richardson 

On 4/8/2022 at 9:31 PM, Indeee said:

Apr 8, 2022, 11:51 AM ET

MATT RYANQB, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

The Athletic's Mike Sando reports an NFL executive said "age has caught up" with Matt Ryan. 

“I had him with a big decline last year," the league exec said. "Matt has had a phenomenal career, a great quarterback, but it wasn’t like he was super big athletic or had a super strong arm. I see the skills declining a little bit quicker for him as a result. I think they could be looking at another quarterback in a year, and if they don’t win, look out for Irsay.” The Colts in March acquired Ryan for the low price of a third-round draft pick after Carson Wentz's 2021 late-season meltdown that left the team out of the postseason. In a terrible Atlanta offense last season, Ryan posted the third lowest adjusted yards per attempt (6.8) of his career along with his second-worst touchdown rate (3.6 percent). Ryan finished the year 23rd in adjusted expected points added per drop back, behind Wentz. In Indianapolis, Ryan will be charged with taking care of the football and operating an offense centered around Jonathan Taylor and the run game. Any decline he's experienced might not matter if Ryan, 36, isn't asked to do a whole lot in 2022. 

I hope Ryan is great in Indy, but I do not agree with the people who think it's a slam dunk that he's successful here, especially with new, unproven offensive line starters and a lack of depth on the line.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Grigson traded for Tolzien, nice try. Tolzien came in, in 2016. Ballard had nothing to do with acquiring Tolzien. He only kept him in 2017 because Luck was injured.

Grigson...2 division titles ..3 playoff wins.

Ballard.....hmmm...0 division titles...oops..1 playoff win ..5 years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Grigson had Luck for 5 years healthy, Ballard had Luck 1 year and when we had Luck we went 10-6 and beat the Division Champion Texans easily on their home turf in 2018. Hell If I had Andrew Luck for 5 years I could win 50 games The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Let’s get one thing straight. He might not have been a good GM, Grigson did NOT ruin Luck’s career. His contribution was no larger than anybody else. 

And blaming it on Grigson is just irrational. 

Luck suffered three main injuries during his time:

1. Torn labrum on a sack against TEN in early 2015. (OL’s fault)

2. Lacerated kidney and pulled abdomen muscles. Happened during a scramble against DEN where Luck had a clean pocket but took off running (like he often did). (Not OL’s fault)

3. Sprained AC joint from a snowboarding accident after the 2015 season, when he was already hurt. (Not OL’s fault)

So ONE injury occurred due to poor OL play.

Everybody knows that football is physical and violent (and that Luck had a very physical play style too). Players can (and do) get hurt on any play…QBs can get hurt on ANY sack or hit, regardless of the OL.

Luck’s shoulder injury happened early in only his 4th season. There are QBs who have played for far longer and absorbed many more hits and sacks over their careers, but never suffered an injury like that. 

Luck might have led a list of players with QB hits from  2012-2015. But the other three players were Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan and Ryan Tannehill. All still playing. Luck would be too…if he had chosen to. 

Hell, Ryan, at age 36, was sacked 40x

and knocked-down more than any QB last season. This was his 4th-straight 40+ sack season. And we are talking about him playing until he is possibly 40.

Wentz was second in QB knock-downs last year with this OL. Never got hurt,

except for when he scrambled. 

The best example is probably JB. In 2017, he led the league in sacks and

was hit a ton. Missed no games.

But then in 2019, when he is playing behind an elite OL, JB gets hurt because of an OL player. The irony. 

So % happens. And nobody was blaming a poor OL (and Ballard by proxy) for that JB injury. If that knee injury somehow led to JB retiring, people would just call it bad luck. 

And that’s all it was for Luck…just bad luck. Beyond silly to blame the GM for a QB getting hurt one time and even worse to blame him for that QB retiring on his own decision. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LOL. Luck should have been more receptive to Grigson's counseling about protecting himself better.  Andrew might still be playing football if he listened to Grigson's superior wisdom.  But we don't want to think of it that way.

Luck was always thought to have a "unique" personality for a football player.  Even in the predraft analysis there were mentions of how he was slightly different than your normal player.  The comments weren't critical, just observant. That personality had more to do with retirement than any recurring injury recovery process that he stated was the reason, IMO. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Let’s get one thing straight. He might not have been a good GM, Grigson did NOT ruin Luck’s career. His contribution was no larger than anybody else. 

And blaming it on Grigson is just irrational. 

Luck suffered three main injuries during his time:

1. Torn labrum on a sack against TEN in early 2015. (OL’s fault)

2. Lacerated kidney and pulled abdomen muscles. Happened during a scramble against DEN where Luck had a clean pocket but took off running (like he often did). (Not OL’s fault)

3. Sprained AC joint from a snowboarding accident after the 2015 season, when he was already hurt. (Not OL’s fault)

So ONE injury occurred due to poor OL play.

Everybody knows that football is physical and violent (and that Luck had a very physical play style too). Players can (and do) get hurt on any play…QBs can get hurt on ANY sack or hit, regardless of the OL.

Luck’s shoulder injury happened early in only his 4th season. There are QBs who have played for far longer and absorbed many more hits and sacks over their careers, but never suffered an injury like that. 

Luck might have led a list of players with QB hits from  2012-2015. But the other three players were Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan and Ryan Tannehill. All still playing. Luck would be too…if he had chosen to. 

Hell, Ryan, at age 36, was sacked 40x

and knocked-down more than any QB last season. This was his 4th-straight 40+ sack season. And we are talking about him playing until he is possibly 40.

Wentz was second in QB knock-downs last year with this OL. Never got hurt,

except for when he scrambled. 

The best example is probably JB. In 2017, he led the league in sacks and

was hit a ton. Missed no games.

But then in 2019, when he is playing behind an elite OL, JB gets hurt because of an OL player. The irony. 

So % happens. And nobody was blaming a poor OL (and Ballard by proxy) for that JB injury. If that knee injury somehow led to JB retiring, people would just call it bad luck. 

And that’s all it was for Luck…just bad luck. Beyond silly to blame the GM for a QB getting hurt one time and even worse to blame him for that QB retiring on his own decision. 

Luck took way to many hits because he favored throwing the ball down the field (AFTER) his receivers had made their break. A flaw in his game.
  Grigson was being Mentored by Irsay who was in a bad way at the time.

AND, we were in the Howard Mudd system of drafting lineman in the later rounds and developing them.
 Irsay made Gosder the highest paid RT and that was not a nice win. As i recall, None of the other late round picks turned into solid starters, including the respected Haeg. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Like I said yesterday….    Anyone with this view has an agenda.   They’re selling something.    Appreciate you making my point for me like that.    :thmup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Grigson had Luck for 5 years healthy, Ballard had Luck 1 year and when we had Luck we went 10-6 and beat the Division Champion Texans easily on their home turf in 2018. Hell If I had Andrew Luck for 5 years I could win 50 games The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Grigson had Luck healthy for 4 years...2012-14, 2016. 

Luck missed 9 games in 2015. In the 7 games he played, he was mostly really bad, with an overall 74.9 passer rating, a 55% completion % and 15 TD/12 INT. It was a lost season, as far as Luck is concerned.

But the 2015 Colts actually went 8-8 and played meaningful football in late December. They actually had a winning record with an old Matt Hasselback at QB (5-3). 

The only season that Grigson didn't win 11 games (with a healthy Luck) was 2016, in his 5th and final year.

An objective way to look at the comp:

In his second year as GM, with a healthy Luck at QB, Grigson went 11-5 and won a WC game against a flawed KC team. Got spanked in the Divisional round.

In his second year as GM, with a healthy Luck at QB, Ballard went 10-6 and won a WC game against a flawed HOU team. Got spanked in the Divisional round.

Those are very similar feats. And that was with Ballard having a lot more draft capital to rebuild the roster when he took over.

If Luck had played in 2019, and Ballard had gone to the AFCCG in his 3rd season as GM (like Grigson did), that would have been a very similar feat as well. But Ballard likely would have gotten so much more hype and credit.

I also don't get how Luck supposedly carried the Grigson-era teams, but not the 2018 team (which is Ballard's only playoff win to date). Ballard got the best version of Luck we have seen that season...and won 10 games. They were 1-5 until Luck started playing at an AP level.

Just seems like a double standard, as does the comparison of team success with Luck. I think Ballard is the better GM, but the fanbase has become irrational about Grigson for some reason.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Luck missed 9 games in 2015. In the 7 games he played, he was mostly really bad, with an overall 74.9 passer rating, a 55% completion % and 15 TD/12 INT. It was a lost season, as far as Luck is concerned.

But the 2015 Colts actually went 8-8 and played meaningful football in late December. They actually had a winning record with an old Matt Hasselback at QB (5-3). 

The only season that Grigson didn't win 11 games (with a healthy Luck) was 2016, in his 5th and final year.

In his second year as GM, with a healthy Luck at QB, Grigson went 11-5 and won a WC game against a flawed KC team. Got spanked in the Divisional round.

In his second year as GM, with a healthy Luck at QB, Ballard went 10-6 and won a WC game against a flawed HOU team. Got spanked in the Divisional round.

Those are very similar feats. And that was with Ballard having a lot more draft capital to rebuild the roster when he took over.

If Luck had played in 2019, and Ballard had gone to the AFCCG in his 3rd season as GM (like Grigson did), that would have been a very similar feat as well. But Ballard likely would have gotten so much more hype and credit.

I also don't get how Luck supposedly carried the Grigson-era teams, but not the 2018 team (which is Ballard's only playoff win to date). Ballard got the best version of Luck we have seen that season...and won 10 games. They were 1-5 until Luck started playing at an AP level.

Just seems like a double standard, as does the comparison of team success with Luck. I think Ballard is the better GM, but the fanbase has become irrational about Grigson for some reason.

For some reason…..    :facepalm:

Dear God….       Did you just try to wipe the Grigson slate clean, or what?    

For some reason….      Wowza. 

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Irsay made Gosder the highest paid RT and that was not a nice win.

Gosder had an injury history that presented a risk and made his price questionable.  That risk came to fruition.  But when he played, he was a very good RT.

18 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

This is factually correct.

MH's lack of down the field throwing came back to haunt during the end of the season, where DBs would be sitting on the short routes and the DL attacking the pocket.

But those first few games MH started, the offense was notably more efficient with MH running it than AL.  And if you timed the snap to release, MHs was much much faster than ALs...when running the SAME offense.  Holding the ball too long was NOT a function of Chud's offense more than it was a function of the QB that was running it. 

But, in the end, the lack of down the field ability was evident and the defenses adjusted to MH as the season progressed.  If only MH had a stronger arm to occasionally push the ball down field than he did by then, he would have run the offense better than AL in many ways, IMO.  And the OL would have looked better.

I thought the main shoulder surgery kept AL out of the 2017 year, so he would not have been totally healthy in 2016?  Playing on a shoulder that needed anti-snowboarding surgery, LOL.

18 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

After 2018 we were on our way to being an elite team with Luck at QB, most people can see that. It is unfortunate we never got to see it. When Luck retired it threw a wrench on the way Ballard wanted to build. I just hate when people say 'Grigson had a better record then Ballard has now', I mean oh really lmao . He should've with Luck at his best from 2012-2014 and building a 33-15 record. My problem with Grigson was he never gave Luck an O.Line or a running game to help him. Luck carried those teams from 2012-2014 whether some want to admit or not. We had 1 game where a RB went over 100 Yards from 2012-2014 and we still won 11 games in those seasons. Then some will say, lets give Grigson credit, he drafted Luck, that is so laughable because an 8 yr old with any sense would've took Luck #1 that season. One thing I will give Grigson credit on is he went out and got Hasselbeck so yes we were able to go .500 that season in 2015.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After 2018 we were on our way to being an elite team with Luck at QB, most people can see that. It is unfortunate we never got to see it. When Luck retired it threw a wrench on the way Ballard wanted to build. I just hate when people say 'Grigson had a better record then Ballard has now', I mean oh really lmao . He should've with Luck at his best from 2012-2014 and building a 33-15 record. My problem with Grigson was he never gave Luck an O.Line or a running game to help him. Luck carried those teams from 2012-2014 whether some want to admit or not. We had 1 game where a RB went over 100 Yards from 2012-2014 and we still won 11 games in those seasons. Then some will say, lets give Grigson credit, he drafted Luck, that is so laughable because an 8 yr old with any sense would've took Luck #1 that season. One thing I will give Grigson credit on is he went out and got Hasselbeck so yes we were able to go .500 that season in 2015.

But your comment ignores that Grigson had an elite team with a healthy AL for three years, which is an accurate statement if you also say that we were on our way to an elite team under Ballard, because of the 10-6 record. 

Both GMs had an elite team when they had an elite QB.  And they didn't.......when they didn't.   There is no other way to see it.

There are too many comments that say that Ballard has an elite roster, but doesn't achieve because of no elite QB.   Whereas Grigson had a poor roster, but had elite achievement because of the elite QB. 

Huge double standard, IMO.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But your comment ignores that Grigson had an elite team with a healthy AL for three years, which is an accurate statement if you also say that we were on our way to an elite team under Ballard, because of the 10-6 record. 

Both GMs had an elite team when they had an elite QB.  And they didn't.......when they didn't.   There is no other way to see it.

There are too many comments that say that Ballard has an elite roster, but doesn't achieve because of no elite QB.   Whereas Grigson had a poor roster, but had elite achievement because of the elite QB. 

Huge double standard, IMO.

homer falling GIF

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Luck took way to many hits because he favored throwing the ball down the field (AFTER) his receivers had made their break. A flaw in his game.
  Grigson was being Mentored by Irsay who was in a bad way at the time.

AND, we were in the Howard Mudd system of drafting lineman in the later rounds and developing them.

All excellent points.

It was a flaw in Luck's game and a flaw in the coaching staff. BA is a celebrated SB-winning HC, but he didn't Luck any favors in 2012 (as far as Luck getting hit). Then he had Chud as well.

And Irsay mentoring Grigson is an under-reported issue that I really wish we knew more about.

The OL approach is interesting. But Grigson did attempt to address the OL in FA. They just mostly got hurt.

Regarding those FA spending sprees. We know that Irsay wanted to win right away with Luck and we also had Irsay tweeting about getting on planes with briefcases full of cash for FAs. His fingerprints and impact were clearly all over those aggressive offseasons. 

Curious how much impact he had on the TRich deal as well. Still a terrible trade either way. 

And like you said, Irsay was just in a bad way at the time. 

It was also reported that Irsay gave more power to Pagano in the latter years, which certainly had an impact, not only on the roster, but on the FO/HC relationship as well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Grigson was a good GM. Ballard has definitely proven to be a better talent evaluator.

But it was a very different time then. And that context is valid. Fast forward to now, and Irsay's patient approach with Ballard is vastly different.