Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

45 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We can go find goods guards. 

Just add it to the list.  A an easier solution would just be to keep the one we had.  I haven't seen the contract.  But I suspect we won't be finding equally good guards for much cheaper than what he got in Minn.

This wouldn't be a huge deal, but it seems the list of needs just keeps growing...there are only so many needs you can cover with limited draft picks. Yes I know more FAs and players will be cut. But is that really where we want to do most our shopping if we want to compete this year.

18 minutes ago, esmort said:

Just add it to the list.  A an easier solution would just be to keep the one we had.  I haven't seen the contract.  But I suspect we won't be finding equally good guards for much cheaper than what he got in Minn.

This wouldn't be a huge deal, but it seems the list of needs just keeps growing...there are only so many needs you can cover with limited draft picks. Yes I know more FAs and players will be cut. But is that really where we want to do most our shopping if we want to compete this year.

The know it alls on this forum won't believe me but I know ,and have had conversations with a former NFL GM who now holds a very high position in professional football. He told me CB is a very opinionated glorified bragadocious former scout that is indeed a great talent evaluator but a below average negotiator . Take that for what it's worth. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

The know it alls on this forum won't believe me but I know ,and have had conversations with a former NFL GM who now holds a very high position in professional football. He told me CB is a very opinionated glorified bragadocious former scout that is indeed a great talent evaluator but a below average negotiator . Take that for what it's worth. 

This is gold.   Gold.  My goodness I haven't laughed this hard in awhile.   Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

If we are all happy being competitive and hover around 7-10 or 9-8 type seasons then by all means..Ballard is our man.

If we want to truly contend for a Super Bowl..we need a risk taker for GM then it's time to move on from CB and Frank after this season .

When Lucas Oil Stadium is half empty on game day because we don't have a competitive team on the field, that's when you will se a change in the front office.  Until then, it's gonna be business as usual.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Dan Dakich don’t you have radio show to host?  Say hi to Ryan Grigson next time you talk to him.

oh by the way I am not a know it all I’ve been wrong plenty of times and have zero problems admitting when I am.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, esmort said:

Sorry he wanted to play in Minn. boohooo    Compete for what? It's ANOTHER Development year for our younguns. But next year buddy, Watch Out!

Uh, why yes, like everyone else is doing, has done, for those last 5-8 players on the roster. 

3 hours ago, esmort said:

Was it the 2019 end of season interview that Ballard basically said the lack of depth on the OLine that hurt us and that was on him. I could be remembering incorrectly...but if not it seems like we are heading down that path again.  I'm talking quality guys not just a bunch of random hope they can "hold down the fort" guys. We are still missing starters and losing depth.

So i guess Reed was a "not so random" hold down the fort guy? 
  That is all he was and will be in Minn. He went home. boohoo

He got FRIED!

27 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He got FRIED!

He got fried? Like he got fried in a tanning bed or lava covered him? Or he got fried from some of the devils lettuce? Either way, Minnesota probably offered him more money, and probably has a better shot of getting to start than he did here. Dunno how that’s considered getting “fried”.  

44 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He got FRIED!

Would you please translate this into football English?  He got fried?   It doesn’t even make sense if you meant to write fired.   

Im not happy with Ballard’s decision and I still don’t understand whatever point you were trying to make?

In short….  Huh?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 4:58 PM, Goatface Killah said:

He has missed on 1, who can play but hasnt been able to stay healthy and showed no sogns of health issues in college.

A 6th round pick who doesnt become a starter in 2 years, isnt a "miss". He is still on the roster and looked good at times last year. Strachan is a project who hasnt even gotten an opportunity yet. 

Cmon man "so many"?

Right, and thats my point.

Nobody has said that a player cant or shouldnt be found in free agency or thru a trade.

People ARE saying he is making a mistake by not splurging on a free agent WR.

Im just saying he still has a draft and anyone who suggests he cant land a great receiver in the draft simply doesnt know what they are talking about. 

Let,s see. Instead of drafting Banogu he could have had Deebo Samual, A.J. Brown or D.K. Metcalf. I would say that is some big misses!

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Would you please translate this into football English?  He got fried?   It doesn’t even make sense if you meant to write fired.   

Im not happy with Ballard’s decision and I still don’t understand whatever point you were trying to make?

In short….  Huh?  

Thank you for the question.
  My old quirky mind in a rush at work there. 
  I was seeing thinking Freed you see. Oh well.
  Maybe he got Friesd would have hit the mark?  Optomistically speaking, i do feel Good that Fries can play at or above Reeds level soon. Very soon.
 And so can the next inexpensive vet that CB adds before camp.
 But i do thank Reed for his service and hope he has a happy, healthy season.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BigO said:

Let,s see. Instead of drafting Banogu he could have had Deebo Samual, A.J. Brown or D.K. Metcalf. I would say that is some big misses!

Turay, Lewis, the lack of anything from Campbell. This has been a failure and disaster for our Colts. No question. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigO said:

Show me a GM who doesn’t have misses.  This 20/20 hindsight expectation of perfection is getting tired.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigO said:

Literally every GM of every team since the draft has missed out choosing one player over another. It doesn’t just happen to the Colts. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Show me a GM who doesn’t have misses.  This 20/20 hindsight expectation of perfection is getting tired.  

Being an average team for 6 years is getting to be tired also. Glad you are happy with mediocitry.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigO said:

Being an average team for 6 years is getting to be tired also. Glad you are happy with mediocitry.

Go tell a Lions fan how long and suffering you are and watch them laugh in your face.  It’s not that I am happy with it.  It’s that I have no control over it and it has zero impact on me outside for a few hours on Sundays.  Life goes on if the Colts are mediocre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

There was no expectation of perfection implied.
   It is just a dose of reality. So frequently missing on 2nd rounders has been franchise changing. Three DE's and a WR.  OUCH!  Hooker. Big Ouch!
   Such is life... yada yada yada!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shive said:

We knew midway through last season that Mack wouldn't be coming back.

But if we had signed him, it would have ho hum....Ballard not signing any real FA's. 

16 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

He got FRIED!

That was funny bro. 

38 minutes ago, BigO said:

Glad you are happy with mediocitry.

Please enlighten me as to what actually is accomplished by me or any other fan not being happy with mediocrity. (BTW, I am not saying I am)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

But if we had signed him, it would have ho hum....Ballard not signing any real FA's. 

That was funny bro. 

Please enlighten me as to what actually is accomplished by me or any other fan not being happy with mediocrity. (BTW, I am not saying I am)

As a colt fan for over 50 years I have seen the highs and lows. As a dedicated fan all I want to see is fans be realistic with what direction our team is headed. We have a coach who made a very bad decision persuading everyone to trade a 1 and a 3 for a QB that everyone else knew would be a mistake. Guess what after a year Irsay wanted him gone. We have a GM that does not believe in free agency and insists on building thru the draft. Well building a team that way is unrealistic because any GM is not going to hit on 70% of their draft picks. As a strong fan of a team you should be able to be critical of the decisions being made and how the team is being ran instead of only praising the GM for a 41-40 record so far.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:52 AM, JbsExpressway said:

The main issue as I see it is Ballard seems to be doing everything very safe and conservative.  He doesn't want to tank and yet he also doesn't seem to want to go "all chips in".

And that approach gets you 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 or the occasional 10-6.  And what good does that do?

The only two times in the past 20 years that the Colts TRULY became elite is after one thing happened.  We sucked/tanked for a year and got the #1 pick and were able to draft Manning and Luck,.  It was game changing. 

Now?  We are in year 5 of the Ballard era and we just signed an aging vet QB who is on the decline to run the team for the next 2 years.  In the loaded AFC?  That is good enough to compete but you aren't winning a SB with Matt Ryan.

So why do it?  It isn't game changing or at least attempting to game change. 

Instead Ballard seems to just want to play it by the book.  No big moves.  No risks.  No big FA's.  No salary cap maneuvering.  Just low level stuff that gets you....8-8.  And while that may be enough to keep most of the seats filled for the home games every Sunday....it sure as heck is not going to win you a Championship. 

When were the Colts 'elite' with Luck ? 

On 4/1/2022 at 7:47 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

I call nonsense. Who did you speak too. Even the big guy doesn't buy it Homer Blank Stare GIF by MOODMAN

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I call nonsense. Who did you speak too. Even the big guy doesn't buy it Homer Blank Stare GIF by MOODMAN

I SAY i say, that dude might wanna put down the crack pipe!

A board theme song to Ballard's approach to 'not so Free Agency!'
CRY ME A RIVER  or perhaps I Can't Get No Satisfaction 

:scratch:  :Cry::hissy: :hairout: 

Indianapolis Colts   Well Well Well  - WINNING in April   LOL

Kevin Hickey

Fri, April 1, 2022, 11:51 AM

In this article:

In USA TODAY’s most recent power rankings, the Colts surged up the list 13 spots. They cracked the top-10 to settle at No. 8 overall, which is the fifth-highest among all AFC teams and the highest among their division mates.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BigO said:

Your Mediocrity is $itting at home on hi$ butt counting hi$ $100 M.
 We drafted a Weirdo!  Jack him up, pound him to the turf and he's says nice hit, yeah that guy.

98205521_598310874224067_1566687645902307328_n.jpg

39 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I SAY i say, that dude might wanna put down the crack pipe!

A board theme song to Ballard's approach to 'not so Free Agency!'
CRY ME A RIVER  or perhaps I Can't Get No Satisfaction 

:scratch:  :Cry::hissy: :hairout: 

Indianapolis Colts   Well Well Well  - WINNING in April   LOL

Kevin Hickey

Fri, April 1, 2022, 11:51 AM

In this article:

In USA TODAY’s most recent power rankings, the Colts surged up the list 13 spots. They cracked the top-10 to settle at No. 8 overall, which is the fifth-highest among all AFC teams and the highest among their division mates.

I'm so tired of those April fools joke articles.

Ballard is operating exactly the way I expected while giving me exactly what I wanted.  This roster in NFL terms is stacked to be contenders.  I felt we needed to bring the team back mostly intact with 1-2 play makers on both sides of the ball. On offense he added Matt Ryan, who I feel will be extremely efficient and do us wonders. Hines should be more effective with Ryan. I count that as two playmakers. Interested to see how MAC also performs with a smart QB like Ryan.  

On defense he added a very good pass rusher and a coach who will generate more pressure with his scheme. Dayo should be healthy and ready to contribute.  Not high on this guy but I’ve been wrong a lot so will wait and see. That’s possibly 2-2.5 playmakers on this side of the ball counting coaching. 

I also expect 1-2 key contributors to be added via the draft and roster cuts. Add in hopefully a healthy OL and other development from backups, I’m seeing a lot of improvement over last year.  10-15% better wins the division. The pieces are there to do that.  Should be a lot of fun to watch and see how it works out!!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Literally every GM of every team since the draft has missed out choosing one player over another. It doesn’t just happen to the Colts. 

This. People reflect on the could have been entirely too much. Ballard for his misses has some amazing hits and literally just got picks for a QB who melted in the biggest of moments. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, indykmj said:

When were the Colts 'elite' with Luck ? 

Seriously?

Predicted to be the worst team in the NFL in his rookie season, Luck carried the Colts to three straight 11-5 seasons.   Plus they went a round further in the playoffs his first three years and reached the AFC championship  game in his third year. 

That’s not elite?   

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?

Predicted to be the worst team in the NFL in his rookie season, Luck carried the Colts to three straight 11-5 seasons.   Plus they went a round further in the playoffs his first three years and reached the AFC championship  game in his third year. 

That’s not elite?   

I wouldn't even have dignified that with a response. Wow.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 4:47 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

Perhaps the funniest post you’ve ever made!

I believe agents have voted Ballard the fairest GM two years in a row.   Best to work with.   It’s been posted here and talked about. 

That former GM sounds bitter and jealous. 

• Thanks 3