Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Build an Offseason

IrsaysArmy

If you were the GM, what would be 3 moves you would try to make this off-season.

1.Sign one of the top WR on the market (If we can’t land one, it won’t be for lack of trying)

2. Draft a Tackle and Tight End

3. Add a guy or 2 who could make a difference on the DLine.

3 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

If you were the GM, what would be 3 moves you would try to make this off-season.

1.Sign one of the top WR on the market (If we can’t land one, it won’t be for lack of trying)

After signing our own in FA:

1.) Sign Christian Kirk in FA

2.) Sign Zach Ertz in FA

3.) Sign Mitchell Trubisky in FA to compete with Wentz

This will fix most of the offense, and put us in a good spot to be more consistent on the passing side of things. After this, fill in needs at LT and defense in the draft.

1- Explore possibilities of trading for Wilson or Rogers. Maybe Watson but probably not realistic because same divison

* This likely wont happen IMO but Ballard has to try

2- Need Pass Rush, the two most important positions on the field, QB and pass rush. Kwity is promising but wont be the answer to all of our problems here

3- Wide Reciever/TE weapons, im still confused how Ballard said he is still happy with the WR's after the season. Its clearly a glaring weakness. 

*Id throw in LT at 4, would be higher but I dont think there is many FA options available and we don't have a 1st where typically the premium LT's are drafted so I would say this might be #1 priority after next season.

1. Move play calling to someone that will be more aggressive downfield and in the seam.
  2. Hire a DC that brings more heat and less cushion
  3. Fix the OL. Long term fix at LT (give Pryor a shot or draft a young'un) that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, and go all in on Pinter at Center, and get a 2nd rounder for Kelly since we have no 1R pick...

There's other obvious things that need to be done, but those are my 3 things that will provide most bang for the buck, and fix the most issues across the board.

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

After signing our own in FA:

1.) Sign Christian Kirk in FA

2.) Sign Zach Ertz in FA

3.) Sign Mitchell Trubisky in FA to compete with Wentz

This will fix most of the offense, and put us in a good spot to be more consistent on the passing side of things. After this, fill in needs at LT and defense in the draft.

I actually wanted us to go get Trubisky last year instead of trading for Wentz.  I figured we could've offered 2 years/15 million with 10 million guaranteed and that may have done it.  We could've kept the draft capital.  His ceiling LIKELY wasn't as high, but I think his floor was higher.  

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:
  1. Move play calling to someone that will be more aggressive downfield and in the seam.
  2. Hire a DC that brings more heat and less cushion
  3. Fix the OL. Long term fix at LT (give Pryor a shot or draft a young'un) that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, and go all in on Pinter at Center, and get a 2nd rounder for Kelly since we have no 1R pick...

There's other obvious things that need to be done, but those are my 3 things that will provide most bang for the buck, and fix the most issues across the board.

Not sure if he is a fit but I have wondered now that we gave Smith his extension, would he be a fit moving to LT and keeping Pryor at RT?  Or do you think the overall output would be better keeping Smith at RT and trying Pryor at LT?

There are more than 3 things that need fixing in my opinion.

I don’t care if our oline gets back to top 5-ish performance next season, Wentz isn’t going to take us to the Super Bowl, ever. His shortcomings are too many and too limiting. That said I don’t see anything but another bandaid possible next season, so I rather run with him for another season and fix some of our other issues. 

Frank needs to give up playcalling. I know our offense puts up a lot of points, but I’d rather accept closer wins than 31-3 vs. the Texans if it means we could close out games vs. contenders. Frank has bungled too many games. 

I think we have a solution to our LT need in-house in Pryor. 

If I have to pick 3 I’d go with:

-Fix our pass rush. I don’t care if we have to throw everything, my grandmom and the kitchen sink at it, just fix it. It’s by far our biggest issue on defense and it has been for years. Honestly everything else could be ignored if it means I get to see sacks and not our front 4 flailing helplessly. Not really, but you get what I’m saying. :)

-Get a great (not good, great) playmaker for our offense. I don’t really care if it’s a TE, a WR or even both. I’m not entirely sure we need it because I don’t think Frank has used what we have probably (Hines, TY…), but our offense needs something more than Pittman and Taylor. 

-A new defensive scheme. It’s so depressing watching the worst offenses in football get 5 yards at will against us…

27 minutes ago, coltsfanmurf said:

Not sure if he is a fit but I have wondered now that we gave Smith his extension, would he be a fit moving to LT and keeping Pryor at RT?  Or do you think the overall output would be better keeping Smith at RT and trying Pryor at LT?

I'd be open to either. Pryor did look the part at LT though. Clearly better snaps, especially better lateral movement in pass pro, than Fisher. Regardless though, I'd just love to draft a young T, and keep Pryor. Smith is playing lights out this year. Some can transition to the other side, some can't. We'll never know though unless we try. Overall I think Pryor deserves a shot though based on the quality reps we saw from him all over the OL.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'd be open to either. Pryor did look the part at LT though. Clearly better snaps, especially better lateral movement in pass pro, than Fisher. Regardless though, I'd just love to draft a young T, and keep Pryor. Smith is playing lights out this year. Some can transition to the other side, some can't. We'll never know though unless we try. Overall I think Pryor deserves a shot though based on the quality reps we saw from him all over the OL.

We need to get cheap at C and LT só we can pay Q.

Totally agree on moving on from Kelly, but nobody will send us a 2nd for him, maybe a 3rd

5 hours ago, Solid84 said:

There are more than 3 things that need fixing in my opinion.

I don’t care if our oline gets back to top 5-ish performance next season, Wentz isn’t going to take us to the Super Bowl, ever. His shortcomings are too many and too limiting. That said I don’t see anything but another bandaid possible next season, so I rather run with him for another season and fix some of our other issues. 

Frank needs to give up playcalling. I know our offense puts up a lot of points, but I’d rather accept closer wins than 31-3 vs. the Texans if it means we could close out games vs. contenders. Frank has bungled too many games. 

I think we have a solution to our LT need in-house in Pryor. 

If I have to pick 3 I’d go with:

-Fix our pass rush. I don’t care if we have to throw everything, my grandmom and the kitchen sink at it, just fix it. It’s by far our biggest issue on defense and it has been for years. Honestly everything else could be ignored if it means I get to see sacks and not our front 4 flailing helplessly. Not really, but you get what I’m saying. :)

-Get a great (not good, great) playmaker for our offense. I don’t really care if it’s a TE, a WR or even both. I’m not entirely sure we need it because I don’t think Frank has used what we have probably (Hines, TY…), but our offense needs something more than Pittman and Taylor. 

-A new defensive scheme. It’s so depressing watching the worst offenses in football get 5 yards at will against us…

Just responding to the bolded here..

TY has been gimpy for the vast majority of the time Reich has been our coach. 

I think you are sadly mistaken to think Reich could have really turned him into a consistently stellar/gamebreaking playmaker this late in TY s career.

Also, I like Hines but the guy is a small lateround draft pick. I also think Hines is susceptible to making mistakes at critical times (muffed punts, fumbles). I think Reich gets a lot out of him (I don't like the runs up the middle from shotgun), but I wouldn't consider Hines a 'great playmaker.  When you say 'great, not good playmaker ' I envision Tyreek Hill, D. Adams, etc.. Hines and Hilton (especially this late in his career) are not that.

I'd think we have one great playmaker in JT, and I would love to see us add another on the perimeter. Easier said than done, though. 

1. Add a vet pass rusher so the new DC has the tools to call more heat.

2. Replace Oke and Willis so the new DC has the tools to create more heat and tighter middle coverage.

3. Sign Pryor at LT and draft an LT in the second or third round (aka enough talent).

Bonus goals:

After 4 years on the job, make the observation that the running game has had way too much up the gut running.

4.  Tell Frank to tell JT that its okay for a RB to bounce it outside on his own once in a while.

5.  Tell Frank to install the stretch play into the running game and run it with either JT or Hines. 

For my offseason plan, please check my post from a couple of weeks ago "The Hammonds Plan"

Simplified:

1.  Replace Eberflus with someone who won't insist on a 4-man pass rush or soft zone on 3rd and long (IN PROCESS)

2.  Add impact veteran DE to bolster pass rush, like Emmanuel Ogbah and his 9 sacks from Miami

3.  Add veteran z WR opposite Pittman.  Doesn't need to be a prime player, but needs to be good.  I choose JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Bonus goal:

4.  Pryor plays at LT.  He's not great, but he'll do until we find a long-term solution.

5.  100% vaccination.  Yes, yes, it's your choice.  I know.  But we need to eliminate all things that can harm performance, whether by illness-induced fatigue or by NFL mandated absence.

Draft needs

CB, OT, WR, S

This isn't going to be popular. I'm just trending with what I seen from the past. 

It would take a miracle to get a upgrade at QB. Draft sucks and the good one's would require too much resources. Duane Brown is the only LT FA that I think would help but still is a bandaid. So I think we stick with Pryor.(He replaced Fischer in Jags game and was clearly better) So I think LT is drafted along with QB that is underwhelming. That being said we usually make 1 splash in FA. 

My 3 would be:

1) FA WR, Safety or DE. Would prefer Landry, Bates or Kirk.

2) QB and LT drafted.

3) Wentz will be QB with a hard look at Sam. Hope someone gets in Wentz's head in the off season. 

12 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Numero Uno - FA Defensive End - We need an immediate difference maker.... Landry or Reddick

Draft TE, WR

Possible additional adds in FA (lower cost)

Ertz, and Fuller

Do the math, we MIGHT have $22-23M Available in total after we sign our current FAs

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think you are sadly mistaken to think Reich could have really turned him into a consistently stellar/gamebreaking playmaker this late in TY s career.

Also, I like Hines but the guy is a small lateround draft pick. I also think Hines is susceptible to making mistakes at critical times (muffed punts, fumbles). I think Reich gets a lot out of him (I don't like the runs up the middle from shotgun), but I wouldn't consider Hines a 'great playmaker.  When you say 'great, not good playmaker ' I envision Tyreek Hill, D. Adams, etc.. Hines and Hilton (especially this late in his career) are not that.

I'd think we have one great playmaker in JT, and I would love to see us add another on the perimeter. Easier said than done, though. 

This! I do think Hines is a good complimentary weapon on offense, but I think some fans overrate his skill set and the level of playmaker he is. And because of that, his lower usage is seen as a failure of Reich and Wentz.

But outside of the scrimmage-esque game against the NYJ (which padded his rushing stats tremendously), last season closely resembled his 2019 season with JB.

So while I definitely do think part of that is on Wentz (as it was on JB in 2019), I also think Hines had very long stretches of ineffectiveness on his own with the touches he did get. Not to mention he also fumbled 3x. 

So the narrative about how the Colts wasting this top tier playmaker is a bit of a stretch. 

I still think it was interesting that the Colts gave Hines that contract before even seeing how he would fit with Wentz. Not to mention he was coming off a year with Rivers, who was the perfect type of QB for him. But the RB room is set and that's a good thing. I just don't think using Hines more...replaces the need for true playmakers in the passing game. 

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

For my offseason plan, please check my post from a couple of weeks ago "The Hammonds Plan"

Simplified:

1.  Replace Eberflus with someone who won't insist on a 4-man pass rush or soft zone on 3rd and long (IN PROCESS)

2.  Add impact veteran DE to bolster pass rush, like Emmanuel Ogbah and his 9 sacks from Miami

3.  Add veteran z WR opposite Pittman.  Doesn't need to be a prime player, but needs to be good.  I choose JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Bonus goal:

4.  Pryor plays at LT.  He's not great, but he'll do until we find a long-term solution.

5.  100% vaccination.  Yes, yes, it's your choice.  I know.  But we need to eliminate all things that can harm performance, whether by illness-induced fatigue or by NFL mandated absence.

Draft needs

CB, OT, WR, S

JuJu is more of a slot WR. If the Colts are going that route, I would prefer to add Kirk. But then they would still need to add a dynamic WR.

21 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

JuJu is more of a slot WR. If the Colts are going that route, I would prefer to add Kirk. But then they would still need to add a dynamic WR.

You're not wrong.  JuJu is more of a slot, and Kirk would be more of a z.

However, if I were the Cards GM, and have to decide whether or not to re-sign my FA guy Kirk, I've got a decision to make.  Yes, Deandre Hopkins and AJ Green are my flashy, celebrity WR's.  But they're also older.  Kirk is the guy we drafted.  He's younger.  And he was also the #1 WR in both receptions and yards.  If I'm the Cards GM, I'm going to put in a greater effort to sign Kirk.  He's the future.  Not the other guys.  I have a feeling that either Kirk won't be available for us to sign, or the bidding war for him would get expensive enough that we may not want to do it.

If it works out that we can acquire Kirk, then hooray for us!  I would be happy to get him instead of JuJu.

On Defense:

1. Hire a new DC, hopefully someone who will apply pressure, (i.e. on 3rd and 8, do not play a soft zone defense with a 10-yard cushion, obviously!!!). This drove me crazy! Find out what type of players fit best in their scheme and draft/ get via FA.
  2. Hire a D-Line coach that can develop our players and get them in position to win battles.
  3. Pass Rush, Pass Rush, and more Pass Rush. Get a FA and draft for Pass Rush. The more, the merrier, but address this issue.
  4. Replace X. Rhodes with another veteran CB and draft for the future.

On Offense:

1. Look to address the tackle issue, Prior for this year while looking for a long-term solution. Maybe address this through the draft next year since we do not have a 1st round draft pick this year.
  2. Draft a WR and add one via FA to go alongside Pittman. T.Y. will not be back. We cannot rely on P. Campbell, and if Pascal is still our #2 WR, then we still have issues and that would be a mistake by Ballard.
  3. Get a reliable TE. If Ertz is available, go after him. Otherwise, look in the draft for a replacement for J. Doyle.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Numero Uno - FA Defensive End - We need an immediate difference maker.... Landry or Reddick

Draft TE, WR

Possible additional adds in FA (lower cost)

Ertz, and Fuller

Do the math, we MIGHT have $22-23M Available in total after we sign our current FAs

I feel like we'll have some players restructure their deals to free up money. There are plenty of ways this team can create more cap space.

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Didn’t mean to imply TY or Hines would be great players for us. 

My point was Hines has had his touches almost halved compared to last season with Rivers and that amount of touches is what got him his new contract. He’s either been woefully underused or Wentz don’t know how to use him. Either way it’s problem.

I never expected TY to have another 1000+ yard season. My point was he’s not been used to his strengths running the routes he’s really good at. 

We left a lot of yards on the field, a lot of first downs, a lot of points and possibly lost a few games because Frank and/or Wentz didn’t use our guys right. 

#1   FA sign LT Morgan Moses  not flashy but solid and plays 1000+ snaps

#2   draft DT DeMarvin Leal 

#3   a. IF a good, Intelligent S is available in FA - GET HIM 

b. we need a quick, smart, twitchy WR.

If a good FA seem running TE will come here. But i doubt it, not with Wentz. So we draft one.

50 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

My point was Hines has had his touches almost halved compared to last season with Rivers and that amount of touches is what got him his new contract. He’s either been woefully underused or Wentz don’t know how to use him. Either way it’s problem.

I never expected TY to have another 1000+ yard season. My point was he’s not been used to his strengths running the routes he’s really good at. 

We left a lot of yards on the field, a lot of first downs, a lot of points and possibly lost a few games because Frank and/or Wentz didn’t use our guys right. 

I agree, I think Hilton could still take the top off defenses occasionally!!!

Regain some/a pick by trading Kelly 

Draft a WR like Rondale Moore (need a speed threat that can get open)

Not too familiar with free agents out there to sign tbh. Ik we need a LT and S. 

Build the roster as much as you can now and pick up a quarterback in the draft next year. 

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Hines also had several fumbles which undoubtedly led to reduced time. And JT broke out this season, last year he had some growing pains.  Hard to justify playing Hines over JT anymore.. and Rivers was a master of using scat-type backs. Wentz definitely struggles with that.

TY missed a bunch of games and practices so was probably never fully on the same page as Wentz. He was hampered in several of the games he did play.

I consider Hines a poor man's Ekeler or Sproles type of back. And TY , as much as I like him, is washed up.  I get what you are trying to say, I just don't think they are valid examples to suggest Reich isn't a good play caller or will screw up a 'great playmaker ' should we get one.

I was listening to the Blue Stable podcast. They named 3 things that need upgrading. DE, QB, weapons. They said 2 of those need fixed. If they stick with Wentz weapons need upgraded. If by some miracle they landed Rodgers they could get away with what they have but still need to be better. Thought that was a good point.

5 hours ago, MN_Colts_fan said:

Regain some/a pick by trading Kelly 

Draft a WR like Rondale Moore (need a speed threat that can get open)

Not too familiar with free agents out there to sign tbh. Ik we need a LT and S. 

Build the roster as much as you can now and pick up a quarterback in the draft next year. 

How about Garrett Bradbury for Kelly?  :thinking:

Welcome to the forum. 

12 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

I feel like we'll have some players restructure their deals to free up money. There are plenty of ways this team can create more cap space.

I feel you are right, there are several players that should restructure after their injuries and performance. But it will be up to them whether they think that is the best judgement. Not saying they should, but they should highly think about it for the team.

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

1. Upgrade the QB position.(shouldn't be too difficult)

2. Upgrade the HC position. (shouldn't be too difficult)

3. Offer live sacrifices to the Football Gods & the league to start liking us.

(thats the Hard one)

haha

I'm hoping you are kidding? If not, how do you upgrade the QB and Coach in your opinion? Hope your post is sarcasm. haha

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

How about Garrett Bradbury for Kelly?  :thinking:

Welcome to the forum. 

How about, bradbury for kelly and wentz for cousins and hines for osborn and nelson for darrishaw and Pittman for Jefferson? Haha the all madden trade of a lifetime.:lol:

Archived