Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Build an Offseason

IrsaysArmy

My thoughts:   

It is all gonna be on the D side of the ball in the draft.   Mostly the secondary.    Although I do expect another D line player earlier than later. Maybe FA.  Maybe draft.

My wishes as of today?    

1. Shut down corner

2  another safety.   It can be a hybrid  FS SS since they are interchangeable with this D as it stands.

3. Pass rush D end to pair with Paye. (love that kid)

4. WR.   yea way down the list for me.  But if one is available early like how JT fell jump on it.  Still a need but not as big in my book. 

O Line.   I think Fisher makes a big jump in 2022 coming off of a terrible injury

New DC means more change means more assets

FA Wr.  Not a big name.  

LT will be Fisher again   He will heal up and be good 

In the draft I totally expect secondary  and maybe a WR in there somewhere IF thats the BPA at the time 

There are gonna be a lot of people here bitching about the draft and FA 

Flus is gone.  the dominos will fall to the changes needed for the new guy.  Again we are going to miss Flus He was better than most of you think 

16 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

How about, bradbury for kelly and wentz for cousins and hines for osborn and nelson for darrishaw and Pittman for Jefferson? Haha the all madden trade of a lifetime.:lol:

Lol. I might take that except Pittman for JJ. I like Osborn but Hines in underrated. He seems to come up big when needed. I like Darrisaw but Nelson is great.  

14 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

My thoughts:   

It is all gonna be on the D side of the ball in the draft.   Mostly the secondary.    Although I do expect another D line player earlier than later. Maybe FA.  Maybe draft.

My wishes as of today?    

1. Shut down corner

2  another safety.   It can be a hybrid  FS SS since they are interchangeable with this D as it stands.

3. Pass rush D end to pair with Paye. (love that kid)

4. WR.   yea way down the list for me.  But if one is available early like how JT fell jump on it.  Still a need but not as big in my book. 

O Line.   I think Fisher makes a big jump in 2022 coming off of a terrible injury

New DC means more change means more assets

FA Wr.  Not a big name.  

LT will be Fisher again   He will heal up and be good 

In the draft I totally expect secondary  and maybe a WR in there somewhere IF thats the BPA at the time 

There are gonna be a lot of people here bitching about the draft and FA 

Flus is gone.  the dominos will fall to the changes needed for the new guy.  Again we are going to miss Flus He was better than most of you think 

No WR, No TE?

I think we may get both in round 2, 3

19 hours ago, Maniac53 said:

I'm hoping you are kidding? If not, how do you upgrade the QB and Coach in your opinion? Hope your post is sarcasm. haha

I think just about any half decent QB available inFA or trade would be a upgrade. 

HC, would be a bit riskier because most HC vacancies are filled by unproven newcomers but I certainly feel a upgrade over Frank is very doable. 

The failure in the last 2 games, especially against the jags was PATHETIC & EMBARRASSING. :yuk:

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think just about any half decent QB available inFA or trade would be a upgrade. 

HC, would be a bit riskier because most HC vacancies are filled by unproven newcomers but I certainly feel a upgrade over Frank is very doable. 

The failure in the last 2 games, especially against the jags was PATHETIC & EMBARRASSING. :yuk:

It was practically Pagano-like in the ineptitude displayed.  

On 1/29/2022 at 7:54 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't know about a upgrade over Frank. Frank has a pretty good W/L record considering all the QB's he has had to go through. If there's a QB better than Wentz that won't cost the team so much that they can't fix other issues. Colts will get that QB.

I definitely agree with you about the last two games. I blame that mostly on the coaching not able to make the right adjustments and by blaming the coaching. Not just on Frank, all the coaches and assistants.

After hiring coaching staff:

1. Making an aggressive offer for Russell Wilson. Assuming that fails, assess with QB needy teams what Wentz’s value is in a deal and if there is really much interest in him. 

2. Signing Armstead 

3.  Signing David NJoku

4. Signing a veteran pass rusher-Gregory, Jones, Landry, etc. someone who can bring the heat on 3rd down

5. Looking for a veteran WR and DB

6. Drafting Wan Dale Robinson or someone similar in the 2nd Rd to play the slot. 
7. Fill out the rest of the roster with draft and cheap vet free agents like Cox, Reed, Pryor, Franklin, etc. 

8. Find a kicker with a leg

In this process I’m assessing Kelly’s value if I can’t move him in a bigger deal for Wilson or for at least a 3rd Rd pick then I’m hanging onto him for 1 more year.  I’m moving on from Doyle whether he retires or not. 

24 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

After hiring coaching staff:

1. Making an aggressive offer for Russell Wilson. Assuming that fails, assess with QB needy teams what Wentz’s value is in a deal and if there is really much interest in him. 

2. Signing Armstead 

3.  Signing David NJoku

4. Signing a veteran pass rusher-Gregory, Jones, Landry, etc. someone who can bring the heat on 3rd down

5. Looking for a veteran WR and DB

6. Drafting Wan Dale Robinson or someone similar in the 2nd Rd to play the slot. 
7. Fill out the rest of the roster with draft and cheap vet free agents like Cox, Reed, Pryor, Franklin, etc. 

8. Find a kicker with a leg

In this process I’m assessing Kelly’s value if I can’t move him in a bigger deal for Wilson or for at least a 3rd Rd pick then I’m hanging onto him for 1 more year.  I’m moving on from Doyle whether he retires or not. 

I wouldn't oppose to going after Wilson. You do realize how much it will cost to get Wilson and all the other holes the Colts have that need filled on haymaker hit and misses in the draft and no 1st rounders for the next 2 years? Plus whatever other rounds they give,  It would be same thing for Rodgers.

I thought it was a lot to get Stafford for the Rams. They are in the Superbowl but they have a hell of a lot more than Stafford on that team. But I think it will cost even more for a Wilson or Rodgers than it did for Stafford. JMO

On 1/27/2022 at 7:46 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

After signing our own in FA:

1.) Sign Christian Kirk in FA

2.) Sign Zach Ertz in FA

3.) Sign Mitchell Trubisky in FA to compete with Wentz

This will fix most of the offense, and put us in a good spot to be more consistent on the passing side of things. After this, fill in needs at LT and defense in the draft.

I respectfully disagree

What for-sure, blue chip, difference maker at LT and DE are going to be available in the middle of the 2nd round?

Players to develop? SURE...... But we need a LT day 1, we need a stud DE.... now 

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I respectfully disagree

What for-sure, blue chip, difference maker at LT and DE are going to be available in the middle of the 2nd round?

Players to develop? SURE...... But we need a LT day 1, we need a stud DE.... now 

That's for Ballard to figure out. You have to assume anyway due to his past that Ballard isn't going to sign a big name FA at LT or DE. So he'll probably draft a LT or DE in the 2nd round. He could go WR too. This is supposed to be a really good EDGE class. It's the strength of this class. OTs are also strong. You find starting talent outside of the 1st round. Ballard does it every year.

I'd rather sign an elite EDGE, but I don't expect it. I'm being realistic.

22 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

I wouldn't oppose to going after Wilson. You do realize how much it will cost to get Wilson and all the other holes the Colts have that need filled on haymaker hit and misses in the draft and no 1st rounders for the next 2 years? Plus whatever other rounds they give,  It would be same thing for Rodgers.

I thought it was a lot to get Stafford for the Rams. They are in the Superbowl but they have a hell of a lot more than Stafford on that team. But I think it will cost even more for a Wilson or Rodgers than it did for Stafford. JMO

The Rams didn’t have a #1 yet they pulled it off with a #3 in 2021, #1’s in 2022 & 2023 plus Goff.  The Colts could make a similar offer for Wilson.  I don’t think I would for Rodgers when he might  retire right away. 

The Colts could still fill their needs.  Unloading Wentz and Doyle saves them at least $20 million in cap space.  A couple contracts could be restructured if necessary and the cap goes up a lot in 2023.  Wilson’s cap hit would only be $19 million for 2022 if acquired in a trade. 

Of course, Seattle may have no desire to trade him and teams like Philly and NYG have multiple 1st round picks this year. 

18 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The Rams didn’t have a #1 yet they pulled it off with a #3 in 2021, #1’s in 2022 & 2023 plus Goff.  The Colts could make a similar offer for Wilson.  I don’t think I would for Rodgers when he might  retire right away. 

The Colts could still fill their needs.  Unloading Wentz and Doyle saves them at least $20 million in cap space.  A couple contracts could be restructured if necessary and the cap goes up a lot in 2023.  Wilson’s cap hit would only be $19 million for 2022 if acquired in a trade. 

Of course, Seattle may have no desire to trade him and teams like Philly and NYG have multiple 1st round picks this year. 

Only thing I disagree about is in Bold. Wilson is going to cost more than what it took to get Stafford. Same for Rodgers, I could be wrong but I can't see it. Thanks for your post

2 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

Only thing I disagree about is in Bold. Wilson is going to cost more than what it took to get Stafford. Same for Rodgers, I could be wrong but I can't see it. Thanks for your post

They might have to offer a bit more.  Throw in Kelly.  Chips are all in says our owner. It makes a lot of sense from the Colts perspective.  He’s vaccinated and boosted which will make  Irsay happy.  He’s super religious which will make Reich happy and unlike Wentz he will make his teammates better and won’t fold in big moments. Now, his wife might have zero desire to live in Indy. 

9 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

They might have to offer a bit more.  Throw in Kelly.  Chips are all in says our owner. It makes a lot of sense from the Colts perspective.  He’s vaccinated and boosted which will make  Irsay happy.  He’s super religious which will make Reich happy and unlike Wentz he will make his teammates better and won’t fold in big moments. Now, his wife might have zero desire to live in Indy. 

that can't happen. another thread says Kelly is not a asset. Haha 

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's for Ballard to figure out. You have to assume anyway due to his past that Ballard isn't going to sign a big name FA at LT or DE. So he'll probably draft a LT or DE in the 2nd round. He could go WR too. This is supposed to be a really good EDGE class. It's the strength of this class. OTs are also strong. You find starting talent outside of the 1st round. Ballard does it every year.

I'd rather sign an elite EDGE, but I don't expect it. I'm being realistic.

Ultimately, you may be right

But

The DL was a major topic in the press conferences

We are slated to lose three, from a weak lot

I dont think we have a choice

This group HAS to get pressures......  if we would have had a 10 sack guy.... just one....., this team makes it to the playoffs,

We need a double digit sack guy in the worst way

Archived