Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts OL: 30th in pass blocking, 12th overall

EastStreet

We must have been really really good run blocking to have averaged 12th with the 30th ranked pass blocking grade... 2nd most QB hits allowed. 

Injury riddled year for Q, but still only gave up one sack. Kelly underwhelmed all year. Fisher was awful in pass pro, decent in run blocking. Glow had one of his better, if not best year. Smith was the only starter to grade well but still gave up more sacks than Q. 

Here's to a healthy 2022, and a fix for LT. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We must have been really really good run blocking to have averaged 12th with the 30th ranked pass blocking grade... 2nd most QB hits allowed. 

Injury riddled year for Q, but still only gave up one sack. Kelly underwhelmed all year. Fisher was awful in pass pro, decent in run blocking. Glow had one of his better, if not best year. Smith was the only starter to grade well but still gave up more sacks than Q. 

Yikes, that's a Bad Pass Blocking OL..... Ballard is going to get our QB's killed or make them decide to Retire early to avoid continual injury, pain, and rehab. haha

17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yikes, that's a Bad Pass Blocking OL..... Ballard is going to get our QB's killed or make them decide to Retire early to avoid continual injury, pain, and rehab. haha

I don't recall our OL every grading that low in pass pro....

Even in for instance 2015, our pass pro was 12th. 2014, which was arguably Luck's best year, we were at least 21st in pass pro, and our low grade that year was skewed by injury and Cherilus playing bad. 2013 was probably the worst I can remember, but it wasn't 30th.... lol... 

30th I'm sure is a new low for us.

43 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

How much is it the Olines fault how much is it Wentz getting jittery in the pocket holding the ball too long. 

His pocket time is the same as Carr's, who we just played, but who's OL held up?

And I don't care what the hold time is, just watch Fish  on skates against any halfway good bull or edge rusher.... 

Also, if you do want to dive into pocket time... he's just a tenth of a second more than Allen, Jackson, Herbert, Stafford, Prescott, Cousins, Ryan, Jones, Wilson, etc... But he's hit a TON more.

You can find fair reasons to not like Wentz. OL play isn't something you can pin on him though. Fish was just bad. Kelly's play has dropped off the past two years. We had more injury this year than we've had in 5+ years, and if you even try to defend Davenport's play, then not sure what to tell you. 

55 minutes ago, cbear said:

I still think we already have our left tackle on the roster. Yes I'm a big fan of the big man.

Yeah I have been against moving Q to LT but I guess after last season I dont mind having Q move to LT because many guys were decent in Q absence. Reed Pinter Pryor all played well so if we are gonna pay Q might as well try him out.

53 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

How much is it the Olines fault how much is it Wentz getting jittery in the pocket holding the ball too long. 

Wentz never learn how to throw away instead of crazy shovel passes

5 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Yeah I have been against moving Q to LT but I guess after last season I dont mind having Q move to LT because many guys were decent in Q absence. Reed Pinter Pryor all played well so if we are gonna pay Q might as well try him out.

Wentz never learn how to throw away instead of crazy shovel passes

Actually, I meant Pryor. I'm a huge fan. The guy just swallows the rusher. I wouldn't mind seeing them trying q. It would be fascinating, but I think it's risky to move an all pro from his natural position. 

Fisher was such a miss and Kelly hasn’t been that good either. It’s been said 100 times but Ballard should’ve signed Leno. WFT give him a nice extension for his great season. Wentz also gets some blame for his hero ball and knowing when a play is over/dead.

4 minutes ago, cbear said:

Actually, I meant Pryor. I'm a huge fan. The guy just swallows the rusher. I wouldn't mind seeing them trying q. It would be fascinating, but I think it's risky to move an all pro from his natural position. 

I'm a fan of giving Pryor a shot too. He looked good when finally brought in last week, but it was too late. Looked great the week before. 

Now that he seems settled into a steady weight situation, his lateral movement looks pretty darn good. 

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Would be interesting to see this up against how long Wentz held on to the ball compared to last years oline with Rivers. 

I know injuries and Covid has played a much bigger role this year, but still. 

Edit: Sorry, just read the OP and posted. Was already talked about earlier. 

That is unacceptable for the money that is invested in the OL. Fisher was a big miss by Ballard. He should have signed Leno which would have solved our LT issue. Changes need to be made such as trading Kelly and spending on a new and better LT.

23 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Carson not going to a checkdown had a huge effect on this. Then you add only I think 5 or 6 times did all five starters play together.  

Yep, if you look at that video from Kurt Warner it was obvious that the Jags didn't even cover the check down guy. Wentz took 3 sacks that were 100% on him, he just locked onto 1 guy and held onto the ball. JT could have had 100 yards receiving if he just tossed him a few check down balls..

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I don't recall our OL every grading that low in pass pro....

Even in for instance 2015, our pass pro was 12th. 2014, which was arguably Luck's best year, we were at least 21st in pass pro, and our low grade that year was skewed by injury and Cherilus playing bad. 2013 was probably the worst I can remember, but it wasn't 30th.... lol... 

30th I'm sure is a new low for us.

Yeah, that’s why fans, including me wanted Charles Leno at that time due to his potential based on film with the Bears, his age and instant availability. It’s not just hindsight. Even if it was a 1 year deal like Fisher signed, we would be sitting pretty now solidifying the LT position. Now we have question marks on both QB and LT, and that’s on Ballard clearly, IMO. 

An average QB can be made to look below average with such pass protection on the blind side. We knew we weren’t getting a quick hitting Rivers or Peyton. Luck was brought along slowly with quick hitting routes on Reich’s system but Wentz wasn’t obviously the same level of talent.

I think it’s time to accept the reality that our line isn’t as good as it once was in terms of starters. Which should be expected. Historically speaking they were destined to regress at some point. 

The good news is the younger crop of players are more than enough to replace them. I was happy with both Pinter and Pryor this year. I say give them a shot. 

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

And to think how much of the teams resources are invested in this offensive line. Not getting a whole lot of bang for the buck.

8 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Fisher was such a miss and Kelly hasn’t been that good either. It’s been said 100 times but Ballard should’ve signed Leno. WFT give him a nice extension for his great season. Wentz also gets some blame for his hero ball and knowing when a play is over/dead.

Leno was not at all good when he was with the bears. Many holding calls and procedure calls against him.  He’s availability is his best asset. 

13 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Leno was not at all good when he was with the bears. Many holding calls and procedure calls against him.  He’s availability is his best asset. 

At least his PFF grade is far better this season than Fisher's (81.1 to 68.6) and I suggest the difference in pass blocking gradings is even bigger.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

His pocket time is the same as Carr's, who we just played, but who's OL held up?

And I don't care what the hold time is, just watch Fish  on skates against any halfway good bull or edge rusher.... 

Also, if you do want to dive into pocket time... he's just a tenth of a second more than Allen, Jackson, Herbert, Stafford, Prescott, Cousins, Ryan, Jones, Wilson, etc... But he's hit a TON more.

You can find fair reasons to not like Wentz. OL play isn't something you can pin on him though. Fish was just bad. Kelly's play has dropped off the past two years. We had more injury this year than we've had in 5+ years, and if you even try to defend Davenport's play, then not sure what to tell you. 

Im not defending the Oline, I just feel like your trying to make excuses for Wentz. Yes the pass protection was bad, he was bad as well.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, that’s why fans, including me wanted Charles Leno at that time due to his potential based on film with the Bears, his age and instant availability. It’s not just hindsight. Even if it was a 1 year deal like Fisher signed, we would be sitting pretty now solidifying the LT position. Now we have question marks on both QB and LT, and that’s on Ballard clearly, IMO. 

An average QB can be made to look below average with such pass protection on the blind side. We knew we weren’t getting a quick hitting Rivers or Peyton. Luck was brought along slowly with quick hitting routes on Reich’s system but Wentz wasn’t obviously the same level of talent.

I was on the Leno train too. Many were. I'm gonna bet that Ballard learned a lesson there. 

And yup, problems on the blind side can't be diminished (although many have lol).... Totally Fs with a QBs trust and timing. It's why LT is one of the higher paid positions in FB. 

On Luck, purely my opinion, but Reich pretty much let him do what he wanted. He didn't have governor on him like we've seen the past 3 years. I'm gonna bet Reich was told that it's not broke, and doesn't need fixing lol... 

Archived